• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steamworks Makes DRM Obsolete

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
So yeah, "meh" to Steam. If you love your Valve software, you'll be using Steam because they force you (e.g. Portal). If you love EA software, you'll be using EA Download Manager because they force you to (e.g. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising). Don't bow to their demands. You're the customer: you make the demands.

I completely agree with that. I hate EA's forced install of gamespy, Empire total war needing steam etc. I think that these large companies are deluded that piracy is bigger than it actually is I mean this is similar to pirate dvd's and video tapes its rediculous.

alexp999

Staff
System Name Gaming Rig | Uni Laptop
Processor Intel Q6600 G0 (2007) @ 3.6Ghz @ 1.45625v (LLC) / 4 GHz Bench @ 1.63v | AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 2 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45) | HP 6715b
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AC MX2 ~ Case Fans: 2 x 180mm + 1 x 120mm Silverstone Fans
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-8000 @ 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v | 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 1GB, Modded FTW BIOS @ 725/1512/1350 w/Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 + Scythe sinks| ATI X1250
Storage 2x WD6400AAKS 1 TB Raid 0, 140GB Raid 1 & 80GB Maxtor Basics External HDD (storage) | 160GB 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster SM2433BW @ 1920 x 1200 via DVI-D | 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 resolution)
Case Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W ~ Logitech G15 R1 / Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
Audio Device(s) Soundmax AD2000BX Onboard Sound, via Logitech X-230 2.1 | ADI SoundMAX HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX650W | HP 90W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64 | Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DM06: 19519, Vantage: P16170 ~ Win7: -CPU 7.5 -MEM 7.5 -AERO 7.9 -GFX 6.0 -HDD 6.0
I didnt know EA games needed gamespy, I have never installed it. Always untick the option.

I have to love steam for the fact you cant loose your games, and there is no CD check.

I always install modded exe's to all my games that require CD checks, it's such as hassle, especially with Crysis, cus my drive doesnt like the disc.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I have to love steam for the fact you cant loose your games, and there is no CD check.
When Valve goes bankrupt/servers catch on fire, all your games/information will be lost with no proof you ever owned it in the first place. Their platform is more vulnerable than retail.

How can there be a media check when there is no media? It uses Internet authentication which means keys associated with user accounts. In effect, Steam/Internet access is the check. No Internet means no authentication which means no playing your purchased product(s).

Also, I think it was W1zzard that said games cost several dollars to manufacturer when in fact, they cost mere cents. The only thing that costs a lot is the creation of the die. Once the die is created, disks can be stamped out at a cost little more than the plastics it is pressed upon. Because retail packaging is light, it doesn't cost much to ship either. If you're talking strictly digital vs retail distribution, they are about the same; however, a disk can be used 100+ times without issue while uploading something 100+ times incurs more and more cost in terms of hardware/infrastructure. Short term, digital is cheaper (if everyone only downloaded once); long term, retail is cheaper (if everyone downloaded, say, 5 times, for the lifetime of the media).

The exact figures on prices are a closely held, commercial secret. Like with movies and music, the major costs are incurred prior to distribution (filming, recording, editing, developing, etc.). Distribution is extremely cheap by comparison.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
When Valve goes bankrupt/servers catch on fire, all your games/information will be lost with no proof you ever owned it in the first place. Their platform is more vulnerable than retail.

How can there be a media check when there is no media? It uses Internet authentication which means keys associated with user accounts. In effect, Steam/Internet access is the check. No Internet means no authentication which means no playing your purchased product(s).

Also, I think it was W1zzard that said games cost several dollars to manufacturer when in fact, they cost mere cents. The only thing that costs a lot is the creation of the die. Once the die is created, disks can be stamped out at a cost little more than the plastics it is pressed upon. Because retail packaging is light, it doesn't cost much to ship either. If you're talking strictly digital vs retail distribution, they are about the same; however, a disk can be used 100+ times without issue while uploading something 100+ times incurs more and more cost in terms of hardware/infrastructure. Short term, digital is cheaper (if everyone only downloaded once); long term, retail is cheaper (if everyone downloaded, say, 5 times, for the lifetime of the media).

The exact figures on prices are a closely held, commercial secret. Like with movies and music, the major costs are incurred prior to distribution (filming, recording, editing, developing, etc.). Distribution is extremely cheap by comparison.

He was referring to the digital distribution, and he said it only cost pennies. A physical copy means trucking, warehousing, packing, unpacking, inventory, display, customer interaction, change makers, theft, loss, damage, and left over inventory. A virtual copy like steam provides means that you still have a CD key, every time I start GTA4 they show me my key. If steams servers all ever burn down.......and metal burns quickly when in a fire protected datacenter, they have promised us physical copies. If Steam/Valve fails I'm sure the massive amount of players would be getting games from the MFG's anyway, unless they want to die a thousand deaths in legal action.

For a great example of a non-steam game, BF2, everyone loved to hate the game, and even had a day without out gaming or some stupid shit. But it did nothing, and they moved on, EA wasn't hurt by no one playing on thier servers, or on private servers.

Anyway this is my last post as I grow weary of trolls.

Ongaku

yeah, a digi distro only costs pennies, but they only charge $10 less....:mad: Come on....I'm not getting the package, the manual, and the physical disc...should be $20 less.

as for this...meh...I don't care much for Steam except to play TF2 and Age of Chivalry. I'm probably not the only one, but I hate how Steam has become. Remember the good old days when Steam was only for Valve games? Ah, I miss that. Now it's become a big video game store and nearly 3/4 of the games on there are crap and $50.

He was referring to the digital distribution, and he said it only cost pennies. A physical copy means trucking, warehousing, packing, unpacking, inventory, display, customer interaction, change makers, theft, loss, damage, and left over inventory. A virtual copy like steam provides means that you still have a CD key, every time I start GTA4 they show me my key.
Anyway this is my last post as I grow weary of trolls.

Which is why Steam prices are crazy. How is it that I can buy a brand new boxed version of a game w/ Shipping for $35, while it remains $50 on Steam? :shadedshu

Also, I don't think you know the definition of trolls... ;)

as for this...meh...I don't care much for Steam except to play TF2 and Age of Chivalry. I'm probably not the only one, but I hate how Steam has become. Remember the good old days when Steam was only for Valve games? Ah, I miss that. Now it's become a big video game store and nearly 3/4 of the games on there are crap and $50.

Yeap, exactly...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
He was referring to the digital distribution, and he said it only cost pennies. A physical copy means trucking, warehousing, packing, unpacking, inventory, display, customer interaction, change makers, theft, loss, damage, and left over inventory.
My statement still stands. Digital distrobution is only cheaper when the client only downloads the product a few times. The more times they download it, the more costly it becomes.

At least if you have physical items that were stolen, lost, or damaged, they have something to claim as a loss. The tax man isn't going to let you claim a loss if pirates managed to "steal" 50,000 copies of a game off steam because, frankly, how do you prove it was stolen? Uncle Sam always wants proof.