• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New NVIDIA APEX Technology Accelerates Physics Creation Pipeline for Developers

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
NVIDIA Corporation today announced NVIDIA APEX, a dramatic new capability to its PhysX technology development software development kit (SDK), that provides artists, level designers, and game developers with a set of easy-to-use tools that streamline the process of implementing scalable physics across multiple platforms for next-generation titles.
With NVIDIA PhysX technology, game developers can design worlds that literally come to life: walls can be torn down, glass can be shattered, trees bend in the wind, and water flows with body and force. Designed as a modular framework that works in concert with existing PhysX SDKs, NVIDIA APEX makes it easy for developers to add detailed physics effects to their games and helps them optimize the gaming experience across multiple platforms with a simple "author once" cross platform content creation feature. This enables APEX to not only help developers accelerate the time it takes to author new games, but will also help them reduce overall development costs in the process. The APEX toolset will be available free of charge for licensed NVIDIA PhysX developers and is already being integrated into some of the world's most popular development libraries and game engines, including Emergent Game Technologies' Gamebryo LightSpeed.

"APEX is a powerful addition to NVIDIA PhysX technology," said Geoffrey Selzer, CEO of Emergent Game Technologies. "World-class technology, however, is only one piece of the solution. We chose to partner with NVIDIA for APEX/LightSpeed integrations due to their combination of best-of-breed technology and their culture of being of service to the industry which parallels our own. NVIDIA's commitment to partners, technology, and developers has been demonstrated not only through collaborative relationships like ours, but through their holistic point-of-view about what the industry needs to thrive. PhysX, APEX, and LightSpeed will provide a breakthrough for designers, artists and engineers reenergizing creativity in the game industry."

Another key component of APEX is the support for new plug-in modules, each of which provide a "high level" interface enabling artists and level designers to facilitate turnkey physics content creation with little or no programmer involvement. At GDC, NVIDIA is showcasing three new modules- destruction, clothing, and vegetation-each adding specific game dynamics functionality for fully-featured content authoring. Available for use on all major gaming platforms including the PC; Xbox360, PLAYSTATION3 and Nintendo Wii, additional APEX modules are in development by NVIDIA and APEX developer partners.

"We are adding PhysX support to SpeedTree 5.0, the latest version of our award-winning foliage software," said IDV CEO Chris King. "By integrating support for the new NVIDIA PhysX APEX vegetation module, SpeedTree 5.0 is providing developers a simplified approach for adding amazingly interactive, natural trees and plants to their game environments. The next round of games is going to achieve an incredible new degree of realism, and we are very proud to be involved."

"Physics has become a significant element of game play experience and NVIDIA is committed to enabling as many developers as possible to deliver the most realistic game experiences," said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of content and technology at NVIDIA. "With the growing importance of physics, we believe that all games and every developer should have the best tools to be creative in this realm. With NVIDIA PhysX technology and APEX, physics-based game design just moved from the programmer to artist, which we believe will result in a new level of truly compelling and realistic games in the future."

Attendees at GDC are invited to see a live demonstration of NVIDIA APEX at the NVIDIA booth (#656 in the West Hall), and to attend the APEX: The Quickest Path to High Definition Dynamics Content presentation being held in room 3016 in the West Hall from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 25, 2009.

For more information on NVIDIA PhysX and APEX technologies, please visit: http://developer.nvidia.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

You know what else is a significant element of game play nVidia?

Being able to play... Lets say... Crysis... at your flat panel's native resolution, with the effects / quality set to the settings actually intended by the developer...

Why don't you spend a little more time and money trying to make cards (that can actually DO this) available to to the 90 % of the market who CANNOT afford quad SLI video card raid arrays...

Then we can worry about whether or not the barrels roll down a hill properly...

Me? I don't really care how realistic the water looks, or if my gun is the correct weight, if my frame-rate buckets to 16 every time I look up from the floor, and I CANT PLAY THE GAME...

Although - that's probably just me ..

System Name The Fouth Light
Processor i7-2600K @ 3.80GHz (1.35voltage)
Motherboard GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) 2x GTX460 @ Stock
Storage Cosair GTX Neutron 120GB + 2xWD Carviar Black 640GB RAID0
Display(s) Samsung S27B970D 27 Inch
Case Thermaltake Element V Full tower
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essense STX
Power Supply Corsair HX1000W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Being able to play... Lets say... Crysis... at your flat panel's native resolution, with the effects / quality set to the settings actually intended by the developer...

Why don't you spend a little more time and money trying to make cards (that can actually DO this) available to to the 90 % of the market who CANNOT afford quad SLI video card raid arrays...

Me? I don't really care how realistic the water looks, or if my gun is the correct weight, if my frame-rate buckets to 16 every time I look up from the floor, and I CANT PLAY THE GAME...

Well, if they created such a GPU, everyone will buy it and Nvidia won't make any profit for the next 5 years (until the next graphic leap).

So they have to release new GPUs every 6 to 12 months to sell them and make better one.

All we (consumers) do is just wishing to get everything we want:D

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit

Well put. :toast:

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
What I'd rather nVIDIA do is support their products properly and not freaking lie about pulling support *cough* nForce3 & Vista *cough*.

Hopefully we'll see game devs actually utilising PhysX.

NJuice

Physics effects are also effects/quality features intended by the developer.

But since you like to talk about "element of game play" you probably already know that if all you care is the gameplay and not how pretty the game looks and how accurate physics are, Crysis also has that "low" or "mainsteam" (Warhead) graphical setting, right?

System Name QUACK
Processor Intel i7 2600K (3.4 GHz, 8 threads)
Motherboard Asus P67P8-V3
Cooling Xigmatek Balder 120mm (4x120,1x140mm case)
Memory Patriot 2 Viper Sector 5, 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 4GB
Storage 1x Samsung EVO 850 (500GB) SSD, 1x Fujitsu 256GB SSD
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2311h 23" (so sexy)
Case CoolerMaster Gladiator RC-600
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply Antec 850w with yellow racing stripes
Software Windows 7 HP 64 bit
This sounds like a response to ATI's plan on GPU acceleration for Havok.
Either way, the consumer and developer wins: we get a game with physics.

Now, where's my Garry's Mod with Physics!!??