• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack Confirmed, Priced

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
And buying Office Ultimate (which is what Technet gives you) and Win7 family pack for 3 computers is actually more expensive than just buying Technet.

Who said i needed ultimate? I barely use half the stuff in office now, i dont need anything other than word and powerpoint. I barely use those as it is.

you get access to win7 ultimate,pro,home all with the latist updates/service packs built in, same with office, but you also get older office and windows versions just incase u need them.

technet gives you far more then you seem to understand/know, its really far better value for your $
All i have to do is download the SP and slipstream it. And I already have some of the older ones.

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7

Meecrob

nah, my home farm is growing and want to cut down costs.

Other thing is I am more interested in W2K8 sever and SQL Server for learning purposes.

Actually I was looking to buy W2K8 SBS but I think technet is the way to go. I don't want the time limited OS install.

yeah, i use 2k8 server as my primary os, couldnt go back to xp/xp x64/2k3 or vista after the joy 2k8 is to work with, far less tweaking to get optimal performance out of it, rock solid stable, its just a joy to use!!!

That's why:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/01/snow-leopard-pre-orders-now-being-taken-at-amazon/

and don't get me wrong- I'm using W7 #7201. Just Microsoft is not getting my hard earned dollars any more.

apple wouldnt be getting my money either tho, I tend to get windows free either form an ms rep(most commonly) or from other means, I refuse to buy windows anymore, specly when they charge so much for a full copy, sorry but upgrade copies are CRAP!!!

techfan

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/downloads/cc150618.aspx
"Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN Subscription license) and some other use. Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN Subscription license. When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC."

So Technet strictly can only be used for evaluation and testing? If you actually use the station for anything, write letter, check mail, msn, etc then you officially need a retail or oem licence for that station?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/downloads/cc150618.aspx
"Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN Subscription license) and some other use. Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN Subscription license. When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC."

So Technet strictly can only be used for evaluation and testing? If you actually use the station for anything, write letter, check mail, msn, etc then you officially need a retail or oem licence for that station?

Using it for email, documents, playing games, etc. falls under testing, imo. :D

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Well, I want Technet because I can get more products and thus value, but I wonder about its use. As techfan points out it is entirely for IT folk who are doing hardware testing and isn't to be used as a retail / OEM replacement. Will this come back to bite me? Also, it is a significant jump in price so I guess I'd just download what I need in the year and not buy it again for awhile.

I'd get this family pack but I wonder if its full version or upgrade version as it doesn't really say. I also wonder what other catch there is, because they don't just offer 3 products for less than the cost of one full version release without major catches. Are they activate once (only once)? Are they set to, as usual, self destruct in 5 seconds?

Meecrob

first, MS isnt going to go after anybody for using a technet download/program/wtfe to do day today tasks, that can be considered testing infact, since you could find a problem when writing an email(or sending it) or find a problem when using office, or a million other things.

Honestly MS really doesn't give a shit, they just don't want people buying technet and selling the keys, Most people out there(where ms makes its real money) couldn't deal with technet and wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it.

They just put that in there so that people or companies wont go buy technet to outfit an office or the like costing them either retail or OEM sales.

MSDN is very similar in this, but you can use the products for "production environments" IF you have the proper subscription that is....either way the keys dont get De-activated if ur subscription ends so sall good :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Technet is great for some, but a waste for others. If you only have one computer, and are only going to use Windows Home Premium, technet isn't worth it. And really, most people don't even need office, someone like Crash could probably get away with using Openoffice and skip paying for even the basic version of Office.

However, if you are going to be buying Windows Ultimate, you might as well just buy a technet subscription, they are pretty close to the same price. Or if you are someone like me who has multiple computers and needs an OS for each one, again technet pays for itself after a while...