• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Enables AA Only on NVIDIA Hardware on PCs

W

wahdangun

Well if nVidia was the one that paid for the AA optimizations to be put in the game, I see no problem with them limitting them to nVidia hardware also.

For all we know, if nVidia didn't put the money in to implement the AA optimizations, we would never have seen them in the game, so why should ATi benefit from that?

It might not be a case of nVidia or the game developers removing a feature, but instead a case of nVidia paying to have the feature added in the first place.

These could have been performance optimizations that nVidia entirely paid for, the whole purpose of TWIMTBP program, so why should then enable them for ATi?

Or a completely different reasoning:

It could be that having it enabled with ATi cards causes problems in the retail game(remember they only tested this on the demo). For all we know, something with the way ATi cards handles AA causes the game to crash or be extremely buggy with the optimized AA enabled. Maybe a certain part of the game is completely unplayable on ATi cards with the feature enabled, so the developers(nothing to do with nVidia at all) just gave up trying to fix it, and simply disabled the feature on ATi cards as a quick fix to get the game shipped. They now have more time to work on a patch to make it work. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen games have problems with one manufacturer, but not the other, due to certain visual elements conflicting with the current drivers.

Either way, I highly doubt nVidia caused a feature that was already in the game to be disabled.

How do you know this?

wtf, are you talking about, we are paying our hard earned money for their game you know, but what they do? instead working it more playable to other hardware, they chose to crippled the game so they can take some money.

and no it's not about game stability, it's just one fucking greedy developer. look at the news, they just change device ID and viola AA worked flawlessly(and crush nvdia performance) it's just like :

IF device ID=ATI then
{
AA=disable
}

they should mention it in the box that's say "it's for Nvdia card only" so ATI owner card won't get pissed, ypu know

I was explaing why implementing DX10.1 is costly in the first place, as you seem to believe that it comes free. In the Ubisoft case, they didn't say they removed it because it was costly, their reason for removing it was because it made the game unstable. In that case, it had nothing to do with being costly to implement(though it might have been costly to fix the implementation...).

The stability issues with nVidia cards was due to PhysX mostly. I'm sure there were plenty of stability issue with ATi cards, but they were drastically overshadowed by the PhysX issues. It might have come down to a decision of what features to fix, and which features to just give up on. Sometimes that is what has to be done in the business world.

The patch definitely made the game more stable on both side, but no game is ever going to be perfect. There will always be crashes on certain configurations.

The API's functionality was removed altogether after one patch, then DX10.1 stopped working after that. You CLEARLY dont understand what the recent APIs have been written for if you say its costly to implement. DX10.1 and DX11 both are to make life easier for coders so its illogical why they'd fall back on DX10.

Get back on topic will ya? Personal question, are you a conservative person?

Before any fanboy comment is fired off, im using an 8800GT. Not going to go for nvidia for my next GPU however, due to their draconian market practises.

Well tell to ATI to invest more in the development and refinement of the drivers.

The biggest problem is the fact, ATI drivers has always been poor and bad at this point they would be like nvidia or even higher.

ATI GPU with tremendous computing power but they are too lazy to develop drivers able to exploit.

I would say to stop the childish acting fanboyism " i hate nvidia" etc. ...

Totally irrelevant. In this case, the drivers are not the issue, but the game basically prevents AA in game from working whenever it detects an ATI card. As shown the developers easily averted this by changing the devID, and hence proves thats its nothing to do with the drivers.
On this note I've been having way more issues with Nvidia's drivers than AMD's drivers.

Its not fanboyism. Its a logical fallacy to assume that because AA doesnt work in this case AMD's drivers suck.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I was explaing why implementing DX10.1 is costly in the first place, as you seem to believe that it comes free. In the Ubisoft case, they didn't say they removed it because it was costly, their reason for removing it was because it made the game unstable. In that case, it had nothing to do with being costly to implement(though it might have been costly to fix the implementation...).

The stability issues with nVidia cards was due to PhysX mostly. I'm sure there were plenty of stability issue with ATi cards, but they were drastically overshadowed by the PhysX issues. It might have come down to a decision of what features to fix, and which features to just give up on. Sometimes that is what has to be done in the business world.

The patch definitely made the game more stable on both side, but no game is ever going to be perfect. There will always be crashes on certain configurations.

BAAAAHHH My head is hurting. I'll rearrange my thoughts first, formulate a proper argument. It should also be mentioned that ATi was pushing for DirectX 10.1 support to stay...but if the stability issues were universal as you point out, then why do they do so? Hmmm....

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Well tell to ATI to invest more in the development and refinement of the drivers.

The biggest problem is the fact, ATI drivers has always been poor and bad at this point they would be like nvidia or even higher.

ATI GPU with tremendous computing power but they are too lazy to develop drivers able to exploit.

I would say to stop the childish acting fanboyism " i hate nvidia" etc. ...

My job says diffrent.
IT people want to move away from nvidia due to driver issues.

Quadro is more a standard, therefore the bosses like it, strange company yes.
ATI in all laptops though, not an issue.

Ati drivers always been poor?
I cant say that.

I cant say ati should invest in developing games, then it turns out to be a money game rather than making just a product that supports a API that game devs use and then we're done.

Not pay for making AA being supported in games.
Pay so you wont get crippled performance.
Not Pay so the game works as it can, just because you didnt pay the dev.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
wtf, are you talking about, we are paying our hard earned money for their game you know, but what they do? instead working it more playable to other hardware, they chose to crippled the game so they can take some money.

and no it's not about game stability, it's just one fucking greedy developer. look at the news, they just change device ID and viola AA worked flawlessly(and crush nvdia performance) it's just like :

IF device ID=ATI then
{
AA=disable
}

they should mention it in the box that's say "it's for Nvdia card only" so ATI owner card won't get pissed, ypu know

Yes, and you got the game you paid for. However, you didn't get the optimizations that nVidia paid for.(Using reasoning 1 here).

Or you got a game that crashes halfway through(using reasoning 2). Would you prefer to pay for a game that won't let you finish it?

And if you read the article, it didn't crush nVidia's performance, in performed a lot worse with AA enabled, while nVidia cards see no performance loss.

The API's functionality was removed altogether after one patch, then DX10.1 stopped working after that.

Yes, and that might have been an dicision made to help fix stability in a very unstable game.

Personal answer, generally I don't like to make baseless statements, and tend to argue and play devil's advocate whenever someone else does.

cauby

System Name The New One
Processor Intel Core i5 750@2.67 GHz
Motherboard MSI-P55-CD53
Cooling Intel HSF
Memory Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 Value
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5770 1GB GDDR5 Vapor-X
Storage WD 1TB Green 64MB Cache
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2233 1920x1080 21,5"
Case CoolerMaster CM 690
Power Supply 500W OCZ SXS
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
I really don't see any reason why to be pissed off about this if you can just enable AA on CCC.Sure,there might have a hit in performance,but if it works then it's fine for me....

Yes, and you got the game you paid for. However, you didn't get the optimizations that nVidia paid for.(Using reasoning 1 here).

Or you got a game that crashes halfway through(using reasoning 2). Would you prefer to pay for a game that won't let you finish it?

And if you read the article, it didn't crush nVidia's performance, in performed a lot worse with AA enabled, while nVidia cards see no performance loss.

Yes, and that might have been an dicision made to help fix stability in a very unstable game.

Personal answer, generally I don't like to make baseless statements, and tend to argue and play devil's advocate whenever someone else does.

Very conservative there only being so mindful for the corporations when the wealth will never get to you. In the end the consumer loses.

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox

¨
AC didnt crash for me or any of my friends. DX10.1
There was no problem, review sites didnt have issues either.

The fact that you support paying of game devs for other cards to be bad is just unbearable.

Way its meant to be played is perfectly fine if the FACT that the game ran as it should, and not with intentional crippled performance like its proven...
ATi does support game devs, and give videocards to them so they can check if it works, and support them with documentation and alike, nvidia's strategy is bigger, but they also bribes as it seems like with the result in some TWIMTBP games.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I really don't see any reason why to be pissed off about this if you can just enable AA on CCC.Sure,there might have a hit in performance,but if it works then it's fine for me....

Well the majority who may be playing the game would be badly hit in forcing AA (like me in CoH for example, forced 4x AA is unplayable - less than 20fps most of the time during the built-in benchmark-, compared to 4x AA in-game - around 40 fps most of the time in the benchmark).

And before I be branded an ATi fanboy, I had an Nvidia GeForce 6600 for 4 years.

¨
AC didnt crash for me or any of my friends. DX10.1
There was no problem, review sites didnt have issues either.

The fact that you support paying of game devs for other cards to be bad is just unbearable.

Way its meant to be played is perfectly fine if the FACT that the game ran as it should, and not with intentional crippled performance like its proven..

:toast:

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional

Leave personal questions to PM's. Also the terms conservative and liberal are different for Aussies because their politics are different there.

Maybe you were getting different information because the sites were blocked by the ACMA. j/k

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1888011,00.html :eek:

¨nvidia's strategy is bigger, but they also bribes as it seems like with the result in some TWIMTBP games.

:laugh: And I bribe online retailers to send me products in the checkout process. BRIBES! BRIBES! I TELL YOU!!! :roll:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

IF device ID=ATI then
{
AA=disable
}

That's a convincing argument. If you're an ATI owner, Batman: AA is lesser worth its price for you, because not only will you not be able to use the PhysX effects (because ATI GPUs can't accelerate it), but also that its in-game AA won't work (even though the feature works perfectly fine on ATI hardware). Since there's no mention on the box that you need NVIDIA GPUs to be able to use the in-game AA, it's also misleading.

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
And before I be branded an ATi fanboy, I had an Nvidia GeForce 6600 for 4 years.

I have/have had:
Riva TNT2.
Geforce 256, Geforce 2MX, Geforce 2 TI, Geforce 3 TI 560(gainward) ,Geforce4 TI 4600, Geforce 6800GT, Geforce 7800GT SLI, Geforce GTX260

Ati Radeon 9800 Pro, X850XTPE, 1950XTX, 2900XT, 3870X2, 4870CF

So same applies to me, so you guys see where most of my money have gone... now im not buying more of nvidia, unless they become a underdog without money so they cant do meant to fail program.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
So i may as well get it for the PS3 then ? lol. I remember some what the same thing with Oblivion when it was released were ATI cards could do HDR and AA were as Nv card could not at the time so they stopped the ATI cards from being able to do it.

Well thats how i remember reading it on there forums when it was released.

Sad soooo sad maybe people should be sueing nvidia more often. As this sounds totally unfair and the makers of the game need a foot in there ass too.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
So much misplaced anger, rage, mouth foaming rage... I don't see any of these fanboys attacking any other company in this way.

AA is not an industry standard, it just seems that way. The truth is that AA implementations are very different from company to company. If AA were a standard then ALL cards (ATI, nVidia, Intel, VIA, Matrox) will see the same comparable drop in performance when AA was enabled.

The truth is, they are using completely different ways to implement it, with so many optimizations it's amazing it still produces the same comparable effect. The same can be said about AF and a bunch of other "quality enhancing settings".

I need to know what happens when you play this game on an Intel GPU. Why didn't anyone raised this problem? This is not just a two horse race you know.

Is it really nVidia's fault because you bought an ATI card? Is it ATI's fault because you bought and nVidia card? I don't know, but I do know it is both these companies' fault because you didn't bought a VIA or Matrox card. And if you don't own an ATI or nVidia card, you should take a number for the "screw Intel queue".

When you bought a video card you made a choice. Nobody forced you to do it. Accept it and live with it. Don't be angry if some things might not work as fluently as you think they should.

You guys are so narrow minded. It's like being angry at Ford because one of their engines does not accept the pistons from a VW. I mean, it's a piston, it's a standard...

Another reason because you are narrow minded is because you're ignoring the console market. These days consoles are the priority for the developers. The PC game is just a port. And if a company pays for that port, it wants to see that money being pored into resolving compatibility issues with it's own products, not the competition's.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
So much misplaced anger, rage, mouth foaming rage... I don't see any of these fanboys attacking any other company in this way.

AA is not an industry standard, it just seems that way. The truth is that AA implementations are very different from company to company. If AA were a standard then ALL cards (ATI, nVidia, Intel, VIA, Matrox) will see the same comparable drop in performance when AA was enabled.

So much for misinformed arguments. AMD tested the in-game AA, and it worked. So regardless of this AA implementation being a standard between NVIDIA and AMD, it works, and was yet disabled for ATI hardware.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I just wonder how many of the people here, as well as in the industry, who are complaining about the 'business practices' of NVIDIA, are the same ones who think M$'s (for example) operating practices and Intel's are just fine...

Storage Many drives
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
HEhe, i dont like MS, therefore, only thing running MS are gaming platforms, i got no other choice.
I buy AMD for the intel reason.
I use Linux for everything else, suits me JUUUUUUUUUUST fine :D
And ati got a open source support there aswell.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
I just wonder how many of the people here, as well as in the industry, who are complaining about the 'business practices' of NVIDIA, are the same ones who think M$'s (for example) operating practices and Intel's are just fine...

smoke and mirrors

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
In the demo, but how do we know it doesn't cause a problem further along in the game, as I've already pointed out? They haven't tested more than 15 minutes of gameplay and we all assume it works through the entire game.

How many times have we played a game, that worked fine through 3-4 hours of gameplay, then suddenly crashes at the exact same spot no matter what we do? I know I've had it happen several times in the many years I've been playing. In games as recently released as a few months ago. It is actually pretty common in newly released game, as the drivers haven't been fixed yet. The solution is often to disable some visual feature(because the drivers don't like it), or to wait for better drivers.

We don't know that this isn't the case here. Instead, some are jumping to the conclusion that because it has an nVidia stamp on it, that nVidia disabled the feature for ATi. We don't know that. And frankly for a news reporter to even suggest it without any shred of proof completely removes all credibility that new reporter has.

That really isn't a problem. Whether the feature 'works' or not on the given hardware is all that matters, and it does. Stability issues is cannot be used as an excuse to completely remove the feature. If stability issues did exist, they should have left the feature available to everyone and worked on them. Besides, the game does not advertise that its AA features don't work on ATI hardware (or that it requires NVIDIA hardware for AA, just like it properly advertises PhysX).

W

wahdangun

then they don't deserve our money (using reasoning no.1)

do you have a solid proof that the game will crashes halfway through(using reasoning 2).

so i say ATI owner card must boycott this game and rate it so low in every on-line store. so they will suffer 40% loss from us ATI owner.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
So much for misinformed arguments. AMD tested the in-game AA, and it worked. So regardless of this AA implementation being a standard between NVIDIA and AMD, it works, and was yet disabled for ATI hardware.

Again, does it work on an Intel GPU? A test made in-house by the developer company QA department is much better conducted, then a quick test run. Testing one or two or three cards does not qualify for a PASS. We can make many assumptions, some can be true, most can be false.

nVidia could disable the entire game on ATI cards. Why would this be a problem? It's practically their game. It's like Badaboom. It uses CUDA. A game is an application that is geared towards entertainment. PhysX should be reason enough to explain an incompatibility. Apple does it all the time. Takes a random small thing and makes a big deal out of it.

EDIT: btarunr, my post is not a comment to the OP. It's a result of me wasting my time reading all the angry posts after that.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Well if nVidia was the one that paid for the AA optimizations to be put in the game, I see no problem with them limitting them to nVidia hardware also.

For all we know, if nVidia didn't put the money in to implement the AA optimizations, we would never have seen them in the game, so why should ATi benefit from that?

It might not be a case of nVidia or the game developers removing a feature, but instead a case of nVidia paying to have the feature added in the first place.

These could have been performance optimizations that nVidia entirely paid for, the whole purpose of TWIMTBP program, so why should then enable them for ATi?

Or a completely different reasoning:

It could be that having it enabled with ATi cards causes problems in the retail game(remember they only tested this on the demo). For all we know, something with the way ATi cards handles AA causes the game to crash or be extremely buggy with the optimized AA enabled. Maybe a certain part of the game is completely unplayable on ATi cards with the feature enabled, so the developers(nothing to do with nVidia at all) just gave up trying to fix it, and simply disabled the feature on ATi cards as a quick fix to get the game shipped. They now have more time to work on a patch to make it work. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen games have problems with one manufacturer, but not the other, due to certain visual elements conflicting with the current drivers.

Either way, I highly doubt nVidia caused a feature that was already in the game to be disabled.

How do you know this?

despite your trying to use rational logic, you umm, failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Arkham_Asylum

note the "unreal engine" ? you see, this game was made from an existing game engine, well known to work on ATI and NVIDIA hardware with antialiasing.

you can also rename the games .exe to UE3.exe from what i hear, and then use catalyst control centers AA (even before the patch) and everything works well.

This is purely a dirty trick from nvidia, since NV only add AA to some things in game, while ATI now has to waste power antialiasing EVERYTHING (taking a performance hit) and inconveniencing end users.

This is common knowledge. Been discussed before.

BTW AA isn't an added feature...it's a standard.

Indeed. and a default feature of the engine used.

ATI GPUs can handle that game's in-game AA, this comes from AMD. The game just disables the feature when it sees an AMD GPU. This is total blasphemy. I'm not going to / can't tell you what you should choose with your wallets, but I'll tell you what my wallet says.

"no Batman Arkham Asylum for GeForce for you, bta."

evil wallet.

indeed. i went RE5 over this, due to this lame issue.

so i say ATI owner card must boycott this game and rate it so low in every on-line store. so they will suffer 40% loss from us ATI owner.

unfortunately, the lack of AA will never make it into enough news to hinder sales that much.