• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nexus Technology Announces VCT-9000 CPU Cooler

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Ahh okay, I was talking about a specific company, I can't remember the name of them for the life of me though, I just once read a PDF about their coolers.

Also yeah that be great I'll appreciate it!

Seeing as I managed to shape a copper pipe myself, I wonder if I could construct a complete heat-sink by hand ha ha .

oooh think I'll invest in some aluminium sheets when I have some cash.

Obviously I won't be able to use fancy gas in my cooler though :[ with have to settle for a small amount of distilled water .

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The only solid argument for hdt is price. But even than if you search well you can find non-hdt alternatives priced similarly.

I'm not sure what coolers are you talking about that don't have grooves inside the baseplate beside Scythe which btw offers great value for money.

Don't mistake a marketing gimmick with something that really works. And a decent hdt heatsink, ie Thors hammer, is not very cheap:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/alpenfoehn-nordwand_7.html

oh so does the xigmatek dark knight suck now cause thats still very cheap and gives very good performance

Icejon

oh so does the xigmatek dark knight suck now cause thats still very cheap and gives very good performance

The Dark Knight actually performs worse than the Xigmatek s-1283. This is because the dark nickel plating actually decreases thermal conductivity a little bit for making it look black. For $44 on Newegg its not exactly cheap. You could get a S-1283 for $39.99.

This compares to the Hyper 212 Plus at $29.99 which performs much better. $29.99 for me is cheap.

I think what he refers to is the diminishing returns of HDT technology. For example with no copper base heat spreader there is a limit to how many heat pipes are placed over the hot CPU core. Usually this number is maximum 4, and sometimes more. Some manufacturers "cheat" by using larger 8mm heatpipes and flattening them. Its the stacked heatsink fans that cool the CPU, not the heatpipes. All the heatpipes do is transfer the heat really well.

This means if you have good soldering on the copper base like a Megahalems, you can perform better than a heatpipe direct contact cooler. Also since you are limited by the lack of any heatspreader the pipes on the sides of the cpu cooler are less efficient. This means that if you have a CPU cooler that works really well with multiple heatpipes like the V8, it will cool better in the long term at higher wattage heat. You would never be able to build a V8 with a heatpipe direct contact since there are 8 heatpipes and no room on the base. This is why in reviews where high wattage dissipation is required, heatpipe direct contact coolers end up having more thermal resistance due to lack of heatpipes and above mentioned issues. This is why Megahalems and V8 have solid copper baseplates.

Heatpipe Direct Touch technology has one advantage. It uses less copper, and copper is one of the main expenses on an average heatsink other than the fan. With less copper, this is why you can see the Hyper 212 Plus at such a low price in comparison.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
If a lot of these cheap coolers used copper instead of allu to sit the pipes in ( when using DHT) it would defeat that problem ( since the copper would be making contact as-well as the pipes, so you still get 360degree heat absorption on the pipes)

A lot of the problems require very simple tweeks in the design process.

Look at the base of the 1283

Easy to see if they used copper how the heat pipes would be much more effective.

Also! they should make what ever the pipes are mounting into have a skived fin array for extra cooling!

looks pretty too XD

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The Dark Knight actually performs worse than the Xigmatek s-1283. This is because the dark nickel plating actually decreases thermal conductivity a little bit for making it look black. For $44 on Newegg its not exactly cheap. You could get a S-1283 for $39.99.

This compares to the Hyper 212 Plus at $29.99 which performs much better. $29.99 for me is cheap.

I think what he refers to is the diminishing returns of HDT technology. For example with no copper base heat spreader there is a limit to how many heat pipes are placed over the hot CPU core. Usually this number is maximum 4, and sometimes more. Some manufacturers "cheat" by using larger 8mm heatpipes and flattening them. Its the stacked heatsink fans that cool the CPU, not the heatpipes. All the heatpipes do is transfer the heat really well.

This means if you have good soldering on the copper base like a Megahalems, you can perform better than a heatpipe direct contact cooler. Also since you are limited by the lack of any heatspreader the pipes on the sides of the cpu cooler are less efficient. This means that if you have a CPU cooler that works really well with multiple heatpipes like the V8, it will cool better in the long term at higher wattage heat. You would never be able to build a V8 with a heatpipe direct contact since there are 8 heatpipes and no room on the base. This is why in reviews where high wattage dissipation is required, heatpipe direct contact coolers end up having more thermal resistance due to lack of heatpipes and above mentioned issues. This is why Megahalems and V8 have solid copper baseplates.

Heatpipe Direct Touch technology has one advantage. It uses less copper, and copper is one of the main expenses on an average heatsink other than the fan. With less copper, this is why you can see the Hyper 212 Plus at such a low price in comparison.

the S1283 does not outperform the DK stock as it has a weaker fan reviews back this up. also in a push/pull they dissipate the same amount of heat. so the % difference must be minimal.

Last edited:

troyrae360

System Name My Computer!
Processor AMD 6400+ Black @ 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA790X DS4
Cooling Gigabyte G-Power 2 pro
Memory 2x2 gig Adata 800
Video Card(s) HD3870x2 @ 900gpu and 999mem
Storage 2x wd raid edition 120gig + 1 samsung 320 + samsung 250
Display(s) Samsung 40inch series6 full HD 1080p
Case NZXT Lexa
Audio Device(s) ALC889A HD audio with Enables a Superior Audio Experience (on board)
Power Supply Vantec ION2+ 550w
Software Vista Home pream 64
Last edited:
System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
They should be given credit for trying to innovate and all, but I see the potential for extra turbulence happening when that airflow hits the fins at that angle.

More turbulence = more noise.

Will wait for a review though, before passing judgment.