• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ARM Going 64-Bit To Compete In High-End Desktop Market

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Do people think ARM is a thread to Intel AMD or whatever, just because its architecture is widely used in almost every mobile device in existence?

IMO there will always be AMD, Intel, X86 and PC. If ARM wants to play in that field they should demo X264 encoding doing it faster than a Core i3 to say the least.

Imposible some may say. I wouldn't use Imposible as the proper word, "though" would be the right one and I don't think ARM could make AMD sweat, nor even talking about the trans-national megamonster that is Intel.

No there won't always be x86. As times change and tech changes, we'll see them changing eventually too. Same with RISC. It won't be around forever either, despite it being a better design than CISC.

RISC has been a better design all these years. Apple switched to it and worked to make it a success for years, but the reason they couldn't make a go of it at the time was they didn't have the market share or backing to push it through with x86 going strong. Add to that the RISC manufacturers were also constantly letting them down, and they finally had to switch back to a less efficient, but more popular, design. IBM/Motorola...both held RISC back by keeping it in selective markets or just plain letting designs stagnate. Not keeping up with promises either and delivering sub par performance.

If Intel and AMD move to RISC designs, then we'll see a change. But of the two, I would not expect Intel to switch first. It'll be AMD. Intel has traditionally been slow at adopting big changes like this. 64bit, multiple cores, APU level tech...all things Intel has lagged behind in. Intel is like a massive semi, great and powerful once moving but hard to stop and change course once it is going.

I can see Apple going back to RISC. But it won't get the fanfare of the switch to x86. I think it'll start with iPad and such like that then eventually as ARM gets more buzz, we'll have AMD bringing it in as either server or with APU tech. Intel will then push performance of x86 farther in an attempt to buy time for their own version to come out. Eventually they'll change over too and retake the lead.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If ARM really comes up with an awesome CPU, then most probably we will have 2 CPU companies and 2 Graphic card companies.

Depends just how awesome...

AMD's APU's are really awesome. thats the only real positive thing about AMD at the moment. they can make a great Medium to low range CPU.

Id say their graphics are awesome too but the HD6xxx series wasnt a huge jump beyond the HD5xxx series. and the HD6xxx HATES MSAA. I was hoping a driver update would fix the overall performance, but its not a laughing matter when a GTX570 performs upto 15% better then a 6970 in almost all tests and benchmarks where MSAA is involved.

I still think there will be 3 or 4 CPU Companies.....

#1 Intel (no suprise there)

#2 AMD (Underdog)

#3 Via (even if they have such a small market share and have a habit of keeping their products below the radar - they are still a contender. I think their Nano's are targetting the Atom market. but competition is fearce)

#4 ARM - If they can really come up with a kick ass desktop CPU

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read any of the Intel new's briefs on TPU this is EXACTLY WHAT I PREDICITED.

everybody else "these are parallel markets volved!!!, there is no need to worry." "They will never merge, ARM processors are in there own category."

I knew it :cool:, and this is the start of some NEW tech :D

:cool: :cool: Told you so ;)

I had a feeling, especially with the growing popularity and performance increases.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I honestly don't anticipate them being a threat in the market for a couple years to come, if at all.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
press statement regarding Arms 64bit archetecture hope it dosnt offend, the grippage

ARM disclosed technical details of its new ARMv8 architecture, the first ARM architecture to include a 64-bit instruction set. ARMv8 broadens the ARM architecture to embrace 64-bit processing and extends virtual addressing, building on the rich heritage of the 32-bit ARMv7 architecture upon which market leading cores such as the Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A15 processors are built.

The ARM architecture is unique in its ability to span the full range of electronic devices and equipment, from tiny sensors through to large scale infrastructure equipment. Building on the industry standard 32-bit ARM architecture, the new ARMv8 architecture will expand the reach of ARM processor-based solutions into consumer and enterprise applications where extended virtual addressing and 64-bit data processing are required.

The ARMv8 architecture consists of two main execution states, AArch64 and AArch32. The AArch64 execution state introduces a new instruction set, A64 for 64-bit processing. The AArch32 state supports the existing ARM instruction set. The key features of the current ARMv7 architecture, including TrustZone, virtualization and NEON advanced SIMD, are maintained or extended in the ARMv8 architecture.

“With our increasingly connected world, the market for 32-bit processing continues to expand and evolve creating new opportunities for 32-bit ARMv7 based processors in embedded, real-time and open application platforms.” said Mike Muller, CTO, ARM. “We believe the ARMv8 architecture is ideally suited to enable the ARM partnership to continue to grow in 32-bit application spaces and bring diverse, innovative and energy-efficient solutions to 64-bit processing markets.”

In support of the introduction of the ARMv8 architecture, ARM is working to ensure a robust design ecosystem to support the 64-bit instruction set. The ARM compiler and Fast Models with ARMv8 support have already been made available to key ecosystem partners. Initial support for a range of open source operating systems, applications and third-party tools is already in development. Working together the ARM partnership is collaborating to accelerate development of a 64-bit ecosystem, in many cases as a natural extension to the broad ecosystem in place to support ARMv7 based devices in the market today.

"ARM is an important partner for Microsoft," said KD Hallman, general manager, Microsoft Corp. "The evolution of ARM to support a 64-bit architecture is a significant development for ARM and for the ARM ecosystem. We look forward to witnessing this technology's potential to enhance future ARM-based solutions."

“The combination of Nvidia’s leadership in energy-efficient, high-performance processing and the new ARMv8 architecture will enable game-shifting breakthroughs in devices across the full range of computing – from smartphones through to supercomputers,” said Dan Vivoli, senior vice president, Nvidia.

“The current growth trajectory of data centers, driven by the viral explosion of social media and cloud computing, will continue to accelerate. The ability to handle this data increase with energy-efficient solutions is vital,” said Vinay Ravuri, vice president and general manager of AppliedMicro’s Processor Business Unit. “The ARM 64-bit architecture provides the right balance of performance, efficiency and cost to scale to meet these growing demands and we are very excited to be a leading partner in implementing solutions based on the ARMv8 architecture.”

The ARMv8 architecture will enable the development of ARM architecture compatible devices that can be designed to maximize the benefits across both 32-bit and 64-bit application areas. This will bring the advantages of energy-efficient 64-bit computing to new applications such as high-end servers and computing, as well as offering backwards compatibility and migration for existing software through a consistent architecture.

The ARMv8 architecture specifications describing all aspects of the ARMv8 architecture are available now to partners under license. ARM will disclose processors based on ARMv8 during 2012, with consumer and enterprise prototype systems expected in 2014.

is their some sneeky gremlin in the sys painting Arm's red

extracted from here
http://www.ngohq.com/news/20763-arm-details-armv8-64-bit-architecture.html#ixzz1cNhtI4Cu