• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DMCA: The Push For Console And Tablet Jailbreak Exemptions Begin

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last year, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's (EFF) successfully lobbied to make the jailbreaking of smartphones a legal exemption in the DMCA, much to the displeasure of Steve Jobs, who wanted to keep total control over what users could do with their expensive gadgets, but no longer could. Now, in a totally unsurprising and welcome move for ordinary consumers everywhere, the EFF have explained in a press release what the DMCA was supposed to do, how it can be misused and what they plan to do about it:

"The DMCA is supposed to block copyright infringement. But instead it can be misused to threaten creators, innovators, and consumers, discouraging them from making full and fair use of their own property," said EFF Intellectual Property Director Corynne McSherry. "Hobbyists and tinkerers who want to modify their phones or video game consoles to run software programs of their choice deserve protection under the law. So do artists and critics who use short excerpts of video content to create new works of commentary and criticism. Copyright law shouldn't be stifling such uses - it should be encouraging them."

Then they explained how they want to expand the scope of the exemption to cover more devices:
"We were thrilled that EFF won important exemptions to the DMCA in the last rulemaking," said EFF Senior Staff Attorney Marcia Hofmann. "But technology has evolved over the last three years, and so it's important to expand these exemptions to cover the real-world uses of smartphones, tablets, video game consoles, DVDs, and video downloads.
One can question why an expansion is needed at all though. Since all these devices work digitally and have related functionality, which is to process sound and video in some way, it's not completely clear why separate exemptions are needed for consoles and tablets when an exemption has already been established for smartphones. However, if successful, it will make the imposition on the ordinary consumer of draconian and ineffective DRM schemes by big corporations against the war on "piracy" even more futile. Perhaps the whole misbegotten DMCA will be repealed in time?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name White Phantom
Processor i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz = 1.360-1.368 vcore
Motherboard asrock p67 pro (not pro3)
Cooling prolimatech megahalem with 2x nocuta in push pull (thanks to the 54thvoid) ;) , stock phantom fans
Memory 16gb Kingston hyper x ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus strix 970 ocd 1.5ghz core
Storage 240gb ssd , 1tb Western digital Black, western digital 320gb
Display(s) samsung syncmaster p2450 via DVI @1080p 60hz
Case White and blue NZXT Phantom (carbon fibred sides/door)
Audio Device(s) onboard , philips AMBX pro speakers 80watts rms
Power Supply Xfx750
Mouse Rat 3
Keyboard Act cheapo "gaming"
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores world record for most amount of times machine has pissed me off ....
Put it this way...

it is MY tech that i purchased to use how I WANT wither thats legal or not its MY choice i paid for it i will do what i want with it fook the rules or laws needed

As for piracy there is one simple rule...

When there is DRM or Copyright protection newly released or not, there is always a way around it released you can never stop piracy unless you pull down the web

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Put it this way...

it is MY tech that i purchased to use how I WANT wither thats legal or not its MY choice i paid for it i will do what i want with it fook the rules or laws needed

As for piracy there is one simple rule...

When there is DRM or Copyright protection newly released or not, there is always a way around it released you can never stop piracy unless you pull down the web

I wonder what Sony and Microsoft have to say about this.

Undead46

Processor i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz - 1.335VCore
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution (B3)
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2133MHz 7-11-8-27-1N (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 (Unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS & Games), 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 250GB WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) Dell 23" U2311H IPS Monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Professional - 64bit
I fully support the ability to unlock your phone legally, but the problem I see is when this allows free hotspot use, I can see the anger coming from service providers.

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
If we purchase the technology we should be able to modify it in any way we wish however that could open the way for harsher penalties on abusing that privilege to get benefits such as free hotspot usage.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
f we purchase the technology we should be able to modify it in any way we wish

As much as I wish this was true, read an license agreement and you will see you might own the hardware, but you are renting the software, and therefore you am not able to make modifications to it if the agreement states that. It is not as simple as "I own it," because multiple parts of a smartphone make it work. Can you modify your hardware? Sure, put Hello Kitty stickers all over it, you own it. Can I modify the software? Well you rent it, and the agreement says in order for you to comply you can't modify it. Would you like it if you rented your house and someone put Hello Kitty stickers all over it? Probably not.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
As much as I wish this was true, read an license agreement and you will see you might own the hardware, but you are renting the software, and therefore you am not able to make modifications to it if the agreement states that. It is not as simple as "I own it," because multiple parts of a smartphone make it work. Can you modify your hardware? Sure, put Hello Kitty stickers all over it, you own it. Can I modify the software? Well you rent it, and the agreement says in order for you to comply you can't modify it. Would you like it if you rented your house and someone put Hello Kitty stickers all over it? Probably not.

and what if i modify the software? will apple send head-hunters to catch me?i consider i own the paid phone and in the price is already there the soft % as is not free no? i know i break the rule but i don't like a crippled phone which can do more as had the needed hardware from beginning but lack the soft intentionally

System Name Hhumas-PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet
Memory OCZ Platinium 2x2GB
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage WD Green 500 GB , WD 500 GB
Display(s) Dell U2410F
Case Casecom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
it is our right that we are paying the cost of technology .. and we can do what ever we want

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Foolish mortals......only Apple ownss Apple.... you just paid a life time rental fee... for hard and software

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Cooling ID Cooling SE_225-XT Black with noctua fans
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB TWIN EDGE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
I own a pc and can do pretty much anything i want to it so why should other devices be any diffrent? This is not about piracy its about being able to make the most out of what we own and is the reason i hate apple and sony and other companys. I understand why they try and lock down things but if i own a ps3 and want to put linux on it i should damn well be able to, not everyone wants to unlock there devices to pirate stuff.

Its like the iphone, All my friends ever do is moan because they cant put things on it so they then ask me to jailbreak it but i refuse as its not something i care about or want to get into.

MTnumb

The House rental is not a good example since if you rent a house eventually they will need to return in to you.
Imagine you sell a house to someone but rent the paint. whoever buys the house is limited to whatever paint you chose and if you decide to change it they just have to live with it.
Even though you actually bought the damn place you can't really do anything with it since serious modification will screw with the paint, can't make a new room since you'll have to make a door and that's gonna mess with the paint (you can't paint the new room either). you could get new furniture (although in apples case it needs to be certified first).
What we're trying to say is that if you buy a house, changing the curtains is not freedom and there is no reason behind not letting us do whatever we want with what we paid for.

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Pretend an EULA says that if you modify their software, they will send a group of men in suits to beat you senselessly, eat all the food in your fridge, and then leave. When you get your console with such an EULA, naturally you click okay on the agreement when you first power the console on without reading it, and go off and play games. A couple years later, you decide you want to try and modify the software by tinkering with it (like GeoHot). Sony finds out and sends a group of people to beat you and eat your food. Should you be able to sue for such assault and theft, even though you agreed to such terms?

My point is, how harsh of terms is a company allowed to put in their EULA and get away with? And my example may seem intense, but the sad truth is that it isn't too far off what happened to Graf_chokolo by Sony (twice).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
people simply do not understand a contractual agreement, they are too lazy to read it, or they simply do not care about what it says. sad state of affairs today when free citiznes who freely purchase products made by other free people are unwilling to abide by a simple use agreement.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
EFF made parts of EULA null/void. How far you interpret the terms depends on the device and its fair use.

System Name Moose 5800X3D
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4Ghz 4.5Ghz Boost 96MB L3 Cache
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling covering CPU and GPU including liquid backplate for graphics memory cooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 XLR8 Gaming 24GB
Storage WD Black SN770 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 + 2x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Display(s) AOC 34" CU34G2/BK Ultra Wide @ 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair TX850M 850W Semi Modular
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Rii K61c
Software Windows 11 Pro

I would be fine if they gave me the option to uninstall their software from my hardware, but alas they do not!