• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your Paid For Windows 8 Metro Apps: Microsoft's Handy Big Brother Kill Switch

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
As I said, I'm against any company that tries to pull stunts like this.

That's a standard legal boilerplate. Peruse each loan, insurance or lending contract you've got over the years and you'd read similar stuff. Here, take a look at TPU's ToS:

The owners of techPowerUp! Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any or no reason.

By posting or submitting content to techPowerUp! Forums, you grant techPowerUp! Forums and its affiliates and licensees the right to use, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, distribute, have distributed, and promote the content in any form, anywhere and for any purpose. This license can not be revoked nor does it expire.

You agree that techPowerUp! Forums, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, account (or any part thereof) and remove and discard any content for any or no reason. You agree that any termination of your access may be effected without prior notice, and acknowledge and agree that techPowerUp! Forums may immediately deactivate or delete your account and all related information and files in your account and/or bar any further access to such files or the website's service.

Hate on.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
qubit just shot himself in teh foot there, working for TPU XD

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
qubit just shot himself in teh foot there, working for TPU XD

No I didn't. ;)

Nice quote there, TRWOV. It doesn't actually change anything about what I said and I can't be bothered to explain it over and over. However, I'll just say this: the basic gist of this is that it looks like MS is trying to funnel buying all software through it's Windows Store, thereby imposing these sorts of terms and conditions where they didn't exist before on the Windows platform. This is a Bad Thing.

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
I know that it doesn't change anything, I'm just saying that every contract in the planet is one sided and stacked against the user. MS is no exception to this. And those terms didn't exist before because there wasn't a Windows App Store. Doesn't mean that they will delete your apps overnight if you look at them wrong.

Cheers! :toast:

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Interesting story q, microsoft trending in a concerning direction, ive noticed it too = Good thing we have the right to scrutinise and speak frankly !!! We are not children, it is condescending of corporations to implement draconian frameworks, and if people notice then why not speak up?

Its a co-dependant love hate relationship between the consumer and corporation, the ultimate expression of disdain is to vote with the feet, unfortunately, many dont.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Interesting story q, microsoft trending in a concerning direction, ive noticed it too = Good thing we have the right to scrutinise and speak frankly !!! We are not children, it is condescending of corporations to implement draconian frameworks, and if people notice then why not speak up?

Its a co-dependant love hate relationship between the consumer and corporation, the ultimate expression of disdain is to vote with the feet, unfortunately, many dont.

Duh - of course! :rolleyes: Why do some people apologize for these companies' naughty practices and shoot the messenger? "Condescending" is a really good word for this behaviour. If I'd thought of it earlier, I would have used it in the article. ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No I didn't. ;)

Nice quote there, TRWOV. It doesn't actually change anything about what I said and I can't be bothered to explain it over and over. However, I'll just say this: the basic gist of this is that it looks like MS is trying to funnel buying all software through it's Windows Store, thereby imposing these sorts of terms and conditions where they didn't exist before on the Windows platform. This is a Bad Thing.

Yes, but as usual, you are doing so in a "the sky is falling" type of way. Making bold assumptions about how things might happen based on nothing other than your opinion on the subject with zero research or logic.

If microsoft wanted us to use Metro exclusively, they wouldn't have given us the option to go back to the deaktop(not talking about the reg hack to restore the old start menu, talking about the default behavior of allowing us to go back to the desktop). And again, you still seem to be arguing like the Windows Store is the only option to get programs, and it isn't even close. The biggest fact is that Microsoft would be hit with anti-trust lawsuits faster than you can say "I hate Microsoft".

The fact of the matter is that the Development Preview was designed to show off Metro, so of course they aren't going to include the option to disable it right in the interface. However, I highly believe that the final release will include the option to turn Metro off, mainly because in the business world Metro doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And again, that doesn't really matter, because standard programs installed the traditional way work with Metro. Microsoft can't stop this, it wouldn't even be a reasonable business strategy for them to want to. Look at all the custom business apps that are out there for industry specific tasks. Can you image not being able to install those? No corporation in their right mind would accept an OS like that, and Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot if they even tried it, and Microsoft isn't that dumb. In fact they cater to corporations. Why do you think they kept 98 and 2000 alive so long, and are still keeping XP alive? Here's a hint: It isn't for the home consumer.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
And again, that doesn't really matter, because standard programs installed the traditional way work with Metro. Microsoft can't stop this, it wouldn't even be a reasonable business strategy for them to want to. Look at all the custom business apps that are out there for industry specific tasks. Can you image not being able to install those? No corporation in their right mind would accept an OS like that, and Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot if they even tried it, and Microsoft isn't that dumb. In fact they cater to corporations. Why do you think they kept 98 and 2000 alive so long, and are still keeping XP alive? Here's a hint: It isn't for the home consumer.

They would indeed be stupid to destroy one of the best things about Windows: the gargantuan amount of software avaliable.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Oh boo hoo, Microsoft is starting an Apps store just like everyone else. OMG IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD!

Talk to me when they take away the ability to buy and install programs from disc or other sources... Then, and only then, can we make a big deal out of this.

It is Quibit, that is kind of what he does. Especially when it comes to anything Microsoft, he really loves blowing everything they do out of proportion and putting the biggest doomsday spin he possible can on it.

But that's what normal news reporters do :) :)..

Blow up or not it's still showing the shady agreement that goes a long with buying these apps..

System Name As Himself
Processor 2700X
Motherboard Asrock 370X ThaiChi
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 4133MHz Team
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 512 SSD's
Display(s) Asus "24 144Hz
Case Tt P5
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence One Muses/Sparkos
Power Supply EVGA 1200
Mouse RAT ProX
Keyboard Drop CTRL
Software W10 steam futuremark
HA!!! i live in Maine, USA.....where we have a 48 hr state mandated "cooling off period!!!

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Well, the Metro interface has been created to replace the standard desktop and you can only use it with apps from the Windows Store, so yes, developers and users will have to use it. They are indeed, trying to "pull an Apple".

Just look at the way they're trying to control who supplies hardware for their ARM-based Windows 8 computers in Microsoft Tells ARM Partners to Pick Notebook Vendors. And if you think it's "just me" with a title like that, this article was written by bta - Microsoft is going for total control, nothing less. There's no other way to put it.

The answer I explained to Panther, above applies to yourself, too. The fact you got a refund, makes no difference. They took something away from you, didn't they? Of course you got a refund. :rolleyes:

And please don't go calling my articles crap, thanks. That's just trolling and I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak like that - let's keep the conversation pleasant and on topic. No one makes you read them, do they?
They aren't controlling anything out of the ordinary. They aren't trying to screw you out of anything. They are launching an app store. That's the news. That's it. Launching an app store. Everything else you added is pure opinionated FUD, and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of reading through these conspiracy theories to try to weed out a few facts.

I'm sorry you hate my choice of words, and yeah, they are a bit harsh at times, but to me this truly is junk journalism. It belongs on FUDzilla, not TPU.

If Windows becomes a walled garden like Apple's, believe me, it won't last that much :laugh:

Windows "openness" is one of the reasons it became the number one desktop OS in the world, surpassing Mac OS.

I always like to compare Windows vs. Mac OS to Android vs. iOS. Android is quickly becoming the ruling mobile OS in the globe because of its open nature, as this trend persist, iOS will remain as a niche. Microsoft can't afford to lose the market share of its star product and if they were to adopt a business model a la Apple, I think they will be assuming that risk :slap:

Apple isn't even a walled garden. You can still install apps not from the app store as well. The app store being added to OS X did not change anything else. It's just an added way to get apps. Same with MS's app store.

Hell, even Amazon has an android app store, and it is capable of the same exact things this MS app store is capable of. Nobody is freaking out about it.

Mountain out of a molehill.

Have read quickly through this thread, my comments are:

1./ It is a legitimate concern
2./ I can't see a walled garden in the corporate/enterprise/gvt markets
3./ And not in professional or enthusiast retail either
4./ BUT, and I genuinely believe this, many software companies are devilishly trying to move to a software-as-a-service business model where you license the use and that use is limited by time that **** Windows 8 Lite for free **** could well operate closer to this concept.

W7 Starter was utter tosh. I can imagine a W8 or W9 with a bottom end product for free, with walled garden app store. Brings down the cost of "netbooks" and "webstations" and moves to a more differentiated pay-for-feature product.
Read everything in it's entirety and research the matter, and you'll see the Win 8 "walled garden" does not exist. It is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
But that's what normal news reporters do :) :)..

Blow up or not it's still showing the shady agreement that goes a long with buying these apps..

TPU always had a higher standard than what "normal" news reporters churn out.

mediasorcerer

Processor i5-3570k
Cooling Antec h20 620
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Software win 7 x64-
Whether qubit is right or wrong, wheres the gratitude that he is having the guts to challenge anyway?

sorry-but having an apathetic attitude towards news can go to hell, i for one am glad he is standing up and questioning things like this, and that is the point, instead of just going along with it all like a good little consumer.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
closed models are better for the consumer in the end. apple has proven this time and time again. microsoft is finally catching on. open source will continue to thrive. nothing to be worried about.

mediasorcerer

Processor i5-3570k
Cooling Antec h20 620
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Software win 7 x64-
Agreed rhino, that they are, its a question of how far will these corporations go regarding protecting our rights and freedoms like privacy and choice etc.

Corporations sometimes have a lot of gumption when it comes to things like that, anyone with a modecum of sense and critical thought would question the ethical foundations of such mentality.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Whether qubit is right or wrong, wheres the gratitude that he is having the guts to challenge anyway?

sorry-but the sheep can go to hell, i for one am glad he is standing up and questioning things like this, and that is the point, instead of just going along with it all like a good little consumer.

Guts to challenge what? There is nothing here to challenge. It's all blown completely out of proportion. MS isn't trying to screw anyone over by this.

There's is a time to challenge, then there is a time when you need to take off the tinfoil hat.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
personally, im not sure why some people are so against closed models. apple has been very successful at it as they draw thousand of developers despite the walled garden. consumers love the app store apple put together because it has millions of options and are all guaranteed to work and be safe. i really dont see anything wrong with that. if the walled garden was bad for the consumer apple would be dead in the water.

personally, im not sure why some people are so against closed models. apple has been very successful at it as they draw thousand of developers despite the walled garden. consumers love the app store apple put together because it has millions of options and are all guaranteed to work and be safe. i really dont see anything wrong with that.

I think people are scared the idea of closing/censorship/filtering.

Ignorance is bliss => walled garden.

"Frog at the bottom of the well" not sure if u get this preference...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
personally, im not sure why some people are so against closed models. apple has been very successful at it as they draw thousand of developers despite the walled garden. consumers love the app store apple put together because it has millions of options and are all guaranteed to work and be safe. i really dont see anything wrong with that. if the walled garden was bad for the consumer apple would be dead in the water.

except for the hundreds of useless, misleading apps.

for example there is one on the apple store that advertises how it gives you twice as much battery - by giving you two battery meters.

just because its a closed model doesnt mean the app quality gets any better.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
except for the hundreds of useless, misleading apps.

for example there is one on the apple store that advertises how it gives you twice as much battery - by giving you two battery meters.

just because its a closed model doesnt mean the app quality gets any better.

And it doesn't get any worse. The closed model at least has a reliable means of doing something about malware infested apps.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
And it doesn't get any worse. The closed model at least has a reliable means of doing something about malware infested apps.

true, malware apps are most likely prevented. got a point there.

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w

sorry-but having an apathetic attitude towards news can go to hell, i for one am glad he is standing up and questioning things like this, and that is the point, instead of just going along with it all like a good little consumer.

Challenge what? A run-of-the-mill contract? Do you pay rent? Look at your contract, I'm pretty sure that, according to it, your landlord could come in the middle of the night and kick you out, just because. Doesn't mean that he will do.

M$ needs those provisions in the contract just in case they ever need to deny access to an app you've purchased. Why you ask? Copyright issues (clone apps, see Lugaro in Apple's App Store for an example) and security reasons (like if an app has a serious exploit and needs to be pulled until it's fixed) would the the chief reasons. It sucks but it's necessary because if they don't cover their asses with those provisions they would be hit right and left with lawsuits every time they had to do it.

Even an internet forum, where nothing is at risk, except your access to the very same forum, has some sort of kill switch (read TPU's ToS for an example).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
yes, these terms are in every software companies contract agreement. think of them as "cover your ass" just in case malware hits the network. pretty standard really. nothing to see here.