• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Origin Expands Games Catalog, DRM-Free Evangelist Joins DRM Scheme

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Origin is the fledgling online download account-based DRM service from Electronic Arts launched last June, that is home to Battlefield 3. To compete effectively against other similar services, the industry-leading Steam in particular, it must offer more content. To this end, Origin has added 11 publishers to its portfolio, reports CVG. These are Trion Worlds, Robot Entertainment, Freebird Games, Recoil Games, Autumn Games, 1C Company, inXile entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Core Learning Ltd, N3V Games and CD Projekt RED. That last one is interesting, because CD Projekt RED owns and runs www.gog.com, the website dedicated to selling DRM-free games.

Now the vast majority of those games are pretty old, in the order of 5-15 years, but their own title, The Witcher 2 is current and also comes without DRM from gog.com hence, the obvious question is why are they signing up with a DRM service? Will they end up putting all their current games behind the DRM curtain? This is a possibility, because their recent attempts at extracting payment from alleged pirates backfired spectacularly. Note that at the time of writing, searching for The Witcher 2 on Origin returns no results.

Now, from today, Trion's MMORPG Rift is available on Origin, with more titles from these publishers to follow in the coming months. Commenting on Origin's expansion, vice president of business development Craig Rechenmacher said: "Origin is focused on providing choice to consumers and the games they play. From blockbuster franchises to high-quality independent titles, we're bringing the industry's best content to one place. We're excited to welcome new partners and a diverse new line-up of titles to Origin today."

So, will Origin turn out to be a Steam killer? This can only happen if games are not exclusively tied to the one distribution platform, since that will make them complement each other and they can peacefully operate as a duopoly, which is bad for the customer looking to get games at good prices. One can see how neither the distribution platform operators, nor the games publishers have any interest in being made available on more than one platform. The best that can happen is that the distribution platforms compete with each other to attract the publishers by undercutting each other's commissions, thus allowing them to make more profit, which isn't something that the end customer cares about.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Origin is definitely not going to be a Steam killer, however there is definitely room for both to exist. As far as gog.com goes, they need to make money to. :D

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I am only worried about one publisher and that is 1C. They are the publishers of IL-2 and the latest Cliffs of Dover. They seemed to have finally gotten out of Ubi's clutches but out of the frying pan into the fire?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
My guess is CD Projekt is supporting Origin so EA wouldn't pull their support for GOG.

Steam has established itself and EA is using the same methods to establish itself (sell games that require the proprietary store).

I really haven't investigated Origin to figure out how dirty their DRM methods are (I heard about scanning the computer but that's not DRM). I really should...

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
Any publisher that will try and force me to use origin will be guaranteed no sales from me.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Any publisher that will try and force me to use origin will be guaranteed no sales from me.

I've noticed a lot of people say stuff like this. However, having never used Origin, I don't understand what's so bad about it. From what I can see, it's just another client, like Steam.

System Name Freyja
Processor Core i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon HD 7970
Storage Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD + Seagate 2 TB HD
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case NZXT Tempest 210
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X-Series 750W
Software Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit
What about the Witcher/Witcher 2 that are on Steam? Wouldn't they have some form of DRM (Steam)? If so, what's the big deal that they're now on Origin?

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
I've noticed a lot of people say stuff like this. However, having never used Origin, I don't understand what's so bad about it. From what I can see, it's just another client, like Steam.

It is just another client like Steam. But the level of development is maybe 2-3 years behind Steam.

Most of the hatred for Origin stems on EA's poor tactics against Valve.

EA was with Steam for a long time before suddenly they made the argument about Steam's EULA. They were fine with it and then suddenly they made a huge scene after Crysis 2 launches. Then suddenly back out support. Next thing you saw them scrambling to promote Origin which wasn't even ready for launch.

I can guarantee you that if EA did not make such a mess, Origin would be much better accepted. Origin used to have policies about games being deleted if you didn't use them within 2 years. Service was a complete abomination. But they've changed it since and tried to address complaints. I will admit their support was very responsive and helpful. But the mess with Valve left such a sour taste, I don't blame people for refusing to buy stuff that requires Origin.

EA shot themselves in the foot by the squabble with Valve. I cannot see Origin ever being a major success. If they really wanted to, they'd make peace with Valve already. Get games back on Steam. Even if they require Origin activation, so what. Show consumers that you have a competing product, don't throw a fit and force it on them.

Yeah Valve requires Steam with their games, but you can run them in offline mode. I used to be a big critic of Steam. But then as time went on and the service improved, I love it. Will this happen with Origin? Maybe. But EA has a major uphill battle and right now, they are not proving their service to be better or worth it over Steam.

akashkoppa

i think this is journalism at its nadir. Witcher 2 has always been on steam which by the way is a DRM service if you have not noticed. Witcher 2 is on retail over-the-counter boxes which had a DRM (and got removed, you obviously had not noticed it). To vilify the publisher just because he signed up with Origin is idiotic and silly ( why didnt you write this when they signed up with steam?).
For your information CD Projekt has suspended its so called "witch hunt" for pirates and have released a open letter to the community. To ostracize a company for looking at different avenues for making money is downright wrong.

System Name ICE
Processor AMD 1090t
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermaltake MaxORB EX
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb DDR3@1866
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX670 OC
Storage SSD 128Gb Samsung 840 pro + 2x500Gb sata HDD
Display(s) Samsung 2233RZ@120Hz
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply Corsair AX760 80Platinum
Software Win 7 - 64 bit
It is just another client like Steam. But the level of development is maybe 2-3 years behind Steam.

EA was with Steam for a long time before suddenly they made the argument about Steam's EULA. They were fine with it and then suddenly they made a huge scene after Crysis 2 launches. Then suddenly back out support. Next thing you saw them scrambling to promote Origin which wasn't even ready for launch.

I can guarantee you that if EA did not make such a mess, Origin would be much better accepted. Origin used to have policies about games being deleted if you didn't use them within 2 years. Service was a complete abomination. But they've changed it since and tried to address complaints. I will admit their support was very responsive and helpful. But the mess with Valve left such a sour taste, I don't blame people for refusing to buy stuff that requires Origin.

EA shot themselves in the foot by the squabble with Valve. I cannot see Origin ever being a major success. If they really wanted to, they'd make peace with Valve already. Get games back on Steam. Even if they require Origin activation, so what. Show consumers that you have a competing product, don't throw a fit and force it on them.

Yeah Valve requires Steam with their games, but you can run them in offline mode. I used to be a big critic of Steam. But then as time went on and the service improved, I love it. Will this happen with Origin? Maybe. But EA has a major uphill battle and right now, they are not proving their service to be better or worth it over Steam.

agree on everything u wrote but the part in bold...I don't think so :shadedshu

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.

Yes, you can run any game in offline mode that doesn't require an internet connection.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Thanks, that was very useful. :toast: Of course, if Origin and Steam don't carry the same games, then who's better becomes moot, as you have to accept that platform if you want to run the game.

Yes, I have to agree those tactics weren't endearing at all. I wonder: Crysis 2 was briefly available on Steam and I had it, before I returned it over the undisclosed DRM. So, as it's no longer there, I wonder if those Steam users are left without the patches that came out later? That would suck so hard. :shadedshu Anyone here have experience of playing Crysis 2 on Steam?

You're obviously not a Steam user, or you'd know that you can. The option is right there in the menu. Just check out their FAQ's or install Steam and register an account and you'll see.

Processor AMD 965 BE
Motherboard MSI gd70
Cooling Koolance Exos 2.5 w/ cpu 350 block
Memory 8gb corsair Dominator ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) 2 sapphire 6870's liquid cooled
Storage 8 150 gb wd raptors in raid 0
Display(s) Acer 24in lcd
Case Thermaltake Armor lcs
Power Supply Thermaltake Tough Power 1200w
Software Win7 64 Ultimate
I haven't really formed an opinion of origin yet. I haven't really looked into origin.....i have bf3 but to enjoy the game requires an internet connection anyway.

I will give them a fair shake before passing judgement...if it is like steam then I will not have any issue with it.

Personally i like steam......in exchange for being a steam customer, i can access all my games from any pc just by going through a few steps.

In addition i think steam has added the ability to keep up with my save games.....if it doesn't have this ability i think they should add it bc keeping up with savegames can be a pain if like me you don't backup often enough and lose some progress due to hardware changes and failures.

Also if you wait a little bit steam will offer discounts(sometimes deep discounts during events/holidays) on games that I actually like to play. It is so great not having to keep up with CD's anymore.

For me steam is so hassle-free that i don't mind actually buying the games through steam. On top of that I can put steam into an "offline" mode so I don't feel like I need to be tied to the internet to play their titles.

For me personally STEAM has done more to stop piracy than any DRM will ever do.

I will admit I was against steam when it was first introduced but Valve has seriously polished it up since then.

Back on the subject concerning Origin; I will reserve judgement until I get some more titles that use it but I will however take whatever EA pumps out with a grain of salt. In the back of my mind thinking EA may employ a Wal-Mart strategy of being competitive and easy to use until they get a good hold of the market then bringing to light more restrictive agenda's whereas valve seems to have proved itself by not taking what they have and not running wild with it.

time will tell.

System Name ICE
Processor AMD 1090t
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermaltake MaxORB EX
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb DDR3@1866
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX670 OC
Storage SSD 128Gb Samsung 840 pro + 2x500Gb sata HDD
Display(s) Samsung 2233RZ@120Hz
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply Corsair AX760 80Platinum
Software Win 7 - 64 bit

my bad...I am a recent steam user, didn't notice there's actually an online/offline switch :banghead:. Sorry :eek:

System Name Lailalo
Cooling Noctua
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Yes, I have to agree those tactics weren't endearing at all. I wonder: Crysis 2 was briefly available on Steam and I had it, before I returned it over the undisclosed DRM. So, as it's no longer there, I wonder if those Steam users are left without the patches that came out later? That would suck so hard. :shadedshu Anyone here have experience of playing Crysis 2 on Steam?

EA enabled the CD keys from Steam versions to work on Origin. Literally you could play the games on either program. I tried it out on Bad Company 2 and sure enough, the code works on either. But I saw no point in using Origin for it since it still works fine via Steam.

But with Crysis 2, last I heard EA pretty much forced the Steam users to load their keys into Origin or it wouldn't work.

Think an apology by EA for the mess would go a long way in mending a lot of bad feelings. But they'd never admit that. By the time they get the thumb out of their butts and return titles to Steam, the prices will be so low that Steam holdouts will rejoice and taunt EA about the fact that they would have bought a year ago for full price had they not fought with Valve.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
my bad...I am a recent steam user, didn't notice there's actually an online/offline switch :banghead:. Sorry :eek:

No sweat, you're only human. :toast: It's surprising how much flexibility Steam gives you within its walled garden.

System Name Lailalo
Cooling Noctua
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
For me personally STEAM has done more to stop piracy than any DRM will ever do.

Very much so :toast:

But I would like the ability to trade keys back in on games I don't use anymore. Valve talked about looking into the option months back. But to do that they'd have to get approval of all the publishers and I doubt that would be an easy task. Nor that simple to implement.

New keys issued or just resell the used key? It isn't like a used game at Gamestop where it has scratches and missing a case. Digital would mean the same new game. So then the key would need to be de-authorized on one account and then authorized on another. Pirates would likely find a way to exploit this which would lead to more potential problems.

In the end I think Valve would much sooner add a subscription rental service than do that.

Processor Ryzen 1900x
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win10 Home
No sweat, you're only human. :toast: It's surprising how much flexibility Steam gives you within its walled garden.

Dude, it's not a walled garden.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Very much so :toast:

But I would like the ability to trade keys back in on games I don't use anymore. Valve talked about looking into the option months back. But to do that they'd have to get approval of all the publishers and I doubt that would be an easy task. Nor that simple to implement.

New keys issued or just resell the used key? It isn't like a used game at Gamestop where it has scratches and missing a case. Digital would mean the same new game. So then the key would need to be de-authorized on one account and then authorized on another. Pirates would likely find a way to exploit this which would lead to more potential problems.

In the end I think Valve would much sooner add a subscription rental service than do that.

The system to transfer games from one account to another is already in place and works just fine. An example of it can be seen with the gifting/trading system they have in place. It's not enabled for general transfers because it's in Steam's interest and the publisher's interest to charge for a new game instead of a used one. Think about all that bitching about the second hand gaming market that the games publishers do. With Steam's DRM, they efficiently deny you your first sale rights. B*astards.

Dude, it's not a walled garden.

Yes it is. You're locked in with DRM.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win10 Home
I got a couple of points.

As awesome as it would be to be able to sell/gift games that I've played it won't happen for one reason alone. The amount of hacking/account looting that is bound to happen if an option like it ever exists.

Next. First sale rights do not exist in the software world, as determined by the licensing of said software. It's a stupid loophole. I personally believe that first sale rights should apply, but it hasn't been overly decided by the courts yet.

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift
I got a couple of points.

As awesome as it would be to be able to sell/gift games that I've played it won't happen for one reason alone. The amount of hacking/account looting that is bound to happen if an option like it ever exists.

Wake up, that isn't the reason at all. Otherwise they would have not introduced Steam Wallet, Steam trading and Steam Gifting.

It's simply the publishers do not want you swapping/selling keys on hence why you do not get a spare key if you buy an extra of a game you already own without choosing the gift option.

Weird thing is the CEO of Paradox bashed DRM in an interview with GS, but then has signed up with Origin...

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
I see nothing wrong with Origin esp. compared to EA's last DRM that required you to register online. Origin is basically the same as Impulse, it is less developed than Steam. I have received some emails that Origin is going to be greatly improved. EA has some incredible sales around Christmas, so Origin could have some value. I now have 2 Origins games and it has caused me no problems.

I don't believe it can kill Steam, and I doubt that is even the intent. Look, you have Origins, Steam, and Impulse. You also have Amazon downloads (some are not steam/origin/impulse) and who know what other little start ups other places have. There is a big market. The market is expanding for more reasons than simple DRM issues. Stores don't like to carry PC games. How many do you know that have a good selection? People are getting lazier and want to buy everything online. Game makers know people want to buy their games that are not necessarily easily found, so combine those 2 items and add in their personal benefit of a more effective DRM and there you go.

FWIW, Origins is much better than SecureRom!!!!!!

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift
I see nothing wrong with Origin esp. compared to EA's last DRM that required you to register online. Origin is basically the same as Impulse, it is less developed than Steam. I have received some emails that Origin is going to be greatly improved. EA has some incredible sales around Christmas, so Origin could have some value. I now have 2 Origins games and it has caused me no problems.

I don't believe it can kill Steam, and I doubt that is even the intent. Look, you have Origins, Steam, and Impulse. You also have Amazon downloads (some are not steam/origin/impulse) and who know what other little start ups other places have. There is a big market. The market is expanding for more reasons than simple DRM issues. Stores don't like to carry PC games. How many do you know that have a good selection? People are getting lazier and want to buy everything online. Game makers know people want to buy their games that are not necessarily easily found, so combine those 2 items and add in their personal benefit of a more effective DRM and there you go.

FWIW, Origins is much better than SecureRom!!!!!!

Aye sure, enjoy it when you can't log in, I'll take Securerom (older version before all the date checking and internet activations) disc check over internet check.

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
Aye sure, enjoy it when you can't log in, I'll take Securerom (older version before all the date checking and internet activations) disc check over internet check.

Not me, SecureRom caused to many games to crash, have choppy FPS, and just plain misery playing.