• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Caseking.de Acquires Overclockers UK

System Name H-A-L9000
Processor 3770k
Motherboard Asus p67 Sabertooth
Cooling Custom liquid CPU & GPU
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) sapphire 290x
Storage 256 Vector, 120 Vertex 2E, 2x 1TB Samsung F3 in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP
Case Akasa Omega
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Phoebus
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 7 64 pro
Well I won't buy a thing off them any more. The rma is terrible & not 2 years or more ago as being said. I spoke to a member of staff with in the last year & he was out & out rude.

I have spent plenty of cash with them over the years & the prices jumping about wasn't an issue for me. I alway shop about. But having to deal with a faulty product my first 1 ever with them left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The member of staff coming on here & posting his comments to me just sums up what sort of company they are.

A couple of months ago I recomended a Logitech G500 gaming mouse to a colleague and told him to buy through OCUK. It was dead on arrival so he RMA'ed it and sent it back to OCUK. They promptly returned it to my colleague, said no fault found and raised a charge on his credit card. The mouse was still DOA but having now paid over £50 for a £35 mouse my colleague was reluctant to send it back to OCUK. I suggested sending it to Logitech who promptly sent him a brand new mouse and an appology because they found the fault but OCUK still refuse to refund the charge raised against my colleagues credit card.

I now shop at www.aria.co.uk who have mostly comparable prices.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
A couple of months ago I recomended a Logitech G500 gaming mouse to a colleague and told him to buy through OCUK. It was dead on arrival so he RMA'ed it and sent it back to OCUK. They promptly returned it to my colleague, said no fault found and raised a charge on his credit card. The mouse was still DOA but having now paid over £50 for a £35 mouse my colleague was reluctant to send it back to OCUK. I suggested sending it to Logitech who promptly sent him a brand new mouse and an appology because they found the fault but OCUK still refuse to refund the charge raised against my colleagues credit card.

I now shop at www.aria.co.uk who have mostly comparable prices.

Yup, they're just as bad as ever. No change there. :rolleyes: 'Getting better.' Sure.

www.novatech.com are pretty good too and have excellent customer service.

D

Deleted member 24505

I just hope it will lower OCUK's prices a tad. I have bought a lot of stuff from OCUK and have never had a problem with RMA's or anything else.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
this is good news for us as ck have saved ocuk and will bring us better prices due to their bigger buying power than anybody else in the uk forcing prices down more. what this means for other retailers mentioned already is another matter :/

hey andy :) long time mate. losing battle this mate as they will drag you down and beat you with exp.

Andrew Moore

this is good news for us as ck have saved ocuk and will bring us better prices due to their bigger buying power than anybody else in the uk forcing prices down more. what this means for other retailers mentioned already is another matter :/

hey andy :) long time mate. losing battle this mate as they will drag you down and beat you with exp.

Haha I've noticed :D I shall live and learn :)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

I'd like to look at this a little differently. Caseking basically wants to get into selling hardware components (CPUs, motherboards, graphics cards, etc.,) while OCUK wants the early-access to inventories of cases and cooling products that Caseking manages to secure. OCUK is an established hardware retailer brand, and Caseking is a [more] established casing/cooling/power/modding brand, so each of the two has something the other doesn't, even though this is an acquisition and not a merger. I don't really think Caseking can do much about UK prices. It will leave it to the OCUK guys to price their products according to market conditions in the UK. UK is a whole different economy from mainland Eurozone economies (Germany/France/Spain), and as such you can't expect the German guys to do much about GBP prices, any mismanagement there could tank the company's UK operations.

Also, I don't think OCUK is the only "evil" UK store with "evil" prices out there. Remember Scam.co.uk's 600 GBP price for HD 7970? That one got me in splits.

System Name BaseOC
Processor intel i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus p8 p67
Cooling custom watercooling system
Memory g.skill 6-8-6-20 1600mhz
Video Card(s) ati 5870 crossfire
Storage kingston hyper x+3tera hdd
Display(s) nec ips
Case silverstone
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi extreme music
Power Supply corsair 1100w
Software windows 7 64bit
I go by my experience and i can say i have used ocuk for most of my builds and never ever have a single problem with them.
I also have used scan.co.uk until I purchased some headphones from them that were faulty. Sent them back and after speaking to there rma staff various times they couldnt seem to find a problem with them.
The sent them back to me and claimed they couldnt give me a refund or send me a new set as they couldnt fault them but when i received them the problem still persisted and to make things worse they charged me for reposting them to me. I was furious!:mad:

I will never use scam.co.uk again if i can help it.

And that is how it goes. Everyone has there experience so everyone has a diferent opinion.
In my eye ocuk is a great company much better than most of them and dont think they can be much better than what they already are.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I go by my experience and i can say i have used ocuk for most of my builds and never ever have a single problem with them.
I also have used scan.co.uk until I purchased some headphones from them that were faulty. Sent them back and after speaking to there rma staff various times they couldnt seem to find a problem with them.
The sent them back to me and claimed they couldnt give me a refund or send me a new set as they couldnt fault them but when i received them the problem still persisted and to make things worse they charged me for reposting them to me. I was furious!:mad:

I will never use scam.co.uk again if i can help it.

And that is how it goes. Everyone has there experience so everyone has a diferent opinion.
In my eye ocuk is a great company much better than most of them and dont think they can be much better than what they already are.
So what was wrong with the headphones?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
LOL @ the above by A Moore. i may live in a different country (Canada) but at my local parts store, the prices are almost ALWAYS the same day in, day out. After a quick check, the prices are the same give or take $10 on 7970s as they were on the first day my store had them http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=43_557_558&sort=0&brand=0&price=2&location=0

So in my opinion, the supply and demand doesn't float here. OcUK is infinitely bigger than Canada Computers, yet OcUK cannot have a stable pricing on a new product.

How do they do that? Prices here fluctuate. It's how things work. And offers that lasts only a week or a day or so is very very VERY common. VERY VERY VERY etc and I don't see how that is a bad thing at all.

System Name BaseOC
Processor intel i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus p8 p67
Display(s) nec ips
Case silverstone
Software windows 7 64bit
So what was wrong with the headphones?

The were razer(so not cheap) 5.1 headset. At the time i think they cost me something like £80. The problem was the front speakers of the 5.1 headset flickered and went off and on and was very anoying. I tried it on varios computers that i have at home and was confirmed as a problem with wiring/volume controler. When you moved it seemed to make it flicker on and off.

When i spoke to someone at scan i explained all of various times and basically they wouldnt confirm if they were testing with 5.1 or 2.1 but as far i I know they ony tested it on 2.1 therefore only 2 speakers on either side of the headset would be used instead of the 3 on either side for the 5.1 effect.

Made me angry knowing they were faulty and kinda put me off both scan and razer products

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
I fail to see why OcUK have to justify their pricing policies and price changes.

I've found OcUK to be a bit expensive, and they don't do a price match, or at least not when I've asked.

Their customer service was horrific several years ago, but improved when they put web notes in.

As to them deliberately putting the price of something up so that they can later decrease it and advertise it as a huge discount... I don't know to be honest, maybe they do. Prices do fluctuate though. Components will be done on a JIT inventory and without exception are imported. You can't compare it to many other forms of retail.

It never fails to surprise me though when people are so utterly economically naive. Companies exist to make money, that's the long and the short of it. They operate within the law as it is enforced. But for some reason people think companies owe them a living.

Perhaps Caseking will be looking to shift more product than OcUK, I generally browse there but end up buying elsewhere. If Caseking want to make sure I go back to shopping at OcUK (I first shopped there in 2002, but generally haven't since 2010), then they need to put some kind of price match, or discount policy in place so that it's not worth my time looking elsewhere.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
How do they do that? Prices here fluctuate.

don't ask me, all i know is that when im pricing stuff out, the price is either the same as when i first looked at it or lower. I visit that site every single day, so im pretty good on remembering pricing. i know the fine print says prices mat change without notice, but i have shopped there now for over 10 years and all i know is i don't see prices increase after a product comes out (id even be willing to go down there and talk to the manager about pricing in relation to some of these UK and US sites RAISING their prices after a product comes out)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
don't ask me, all i know is that when im pricing stuff out, the price is either the same as when i first looked at it or lower. I visit that site every single day, so im pretty good on remembering pricing. i know the fine print says prices mat change without notice, but i have shopped there now for over 10 years and all i know is i don't see prices increase after a product comes out (id even be willing to go down there and talk to the manager about pricing in relation to some of these UK and US sites RAISING their prices after a product comes out)

That can happen here as well. It all depends on what product it is, demand and supply and all that jazz.

How are other stores people frequent? Say some big ones in the US and in Europe? It would be interesting to have more info on the subject.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
The were razer(so not cheap) 5.1 headset. At the time i think they cost me something like £80. The problem was the front speakers of the 5.1 headset flickered and went off and on and was very anoying. I tried it on varios computers that i have at home and was confirmed as a problem with wiring/volume controler. When you moved it seemed to make it flicker on and off.

When i spoke to someone at scan i explained all of various times and basically they wouldnt confirm if they were testing with 5.1 or 2.1 but as far i I know they ony tested it on 2.1 therefore only 2 speakers on either side of the headset would be used instead of the 3 on either side for the 5.1 effect.

Made me angry knowing they were faulty and kinda put me off both scan and razer products

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised. Faults are usually intermittent like that and sometimes don't show up for ages. On top of that, they never show up when a technician is looking at the item. :banghead:

This is all the excuse they need to deny you warranty. They either pretend they didn't see the fault, or know about a design fault that "they all do this" and there's a recall on it, but keep quite about it, hoping the customer doesn't know about the recall. I've come a cropper in such situations, too and I was livid.

In your case, it sounds like there's a broken solder joint there, a simple little fault and quite irritatingly common. Of course they "didn't notice it". If it had happened to me, given my past experience, I would have made sure that the fault stops being intermittent, but stone cold solid, so they can't BS their way out of giving me warranty. That's what I did when I was initially denied warranty and it worked. I recommend you do the same, or repair the broken solder joint yourself, but certainly don't put up with it.

Last edited:
System Name Chaos
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix B550
Cooling 6x 140mm + 360 mm Strix AIO
Memory 32Gb Corsair ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil
Storage ADATA SX8200 + kingston savage 240 gb ssd x2 + 1tb toshiba 7200
Display(s) AOC 32 inch Freesync monitor
Case Game Max Silent Black
Audio Device(s) HD Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Mouse corsair harpoon gaming mouse
Keyboard BlackWeb wired gaming keyboard
Software Windows 11 x64
great another uk company in foreign hands :(

System Name BaseOC
Processor intel i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus p8 p67
Display(s) nec ips
Case silverstone
Software windows 7 64bit

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
great another uk company in foreign hands :(

thats exactly what i think. wonder why that subject hasnt come up yet

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on how well the new owners run it. I'd love them to reform it. I would then be able to stop boycotting it and my choice of suppliers would widen. Let's face it, there aren't all that many of these specialist computer retailers in the UK.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
deny you warranty.

Going off on a little bit of a tangent, but since this is a UK thread.... we do have the Sale of Goods Act, and in many cases you are best using that rather than the warranty.

Warranties are optional for retailers/manufacturers and they can put any terms and conditions they like on them.

However the warranty cannot replace the Sale of Goods Act, and if a product is faulty then it's the retailers duty to fix it. I find it helpful to start off by saying I'm not claiming under the warranty, and that I don't want them to mention the warranty, I'm claiming under the Sale of Goods Act.

Anyone reading this thread who does ever run into warranty problems (especially if they claim the warranty is voided by something or other) should have a look at the Sale of Goods Act to see if it can be used.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Going off on a little bit of a tangent, but since this is a UK thread.... we do have the Sale of Goods Act, and in many cases you are best using that rather than the warranty.

Warranties are optional for retailers/manufacturers and they can put any terms and conditions they like on them.

However the warranty cannot replace the Sale of Goods Act, and if a product is faulty then it's the retailers duty to fix it. I find it helpful to start off by saying I'm not claiming under the warranty, and that I don't want them to mention the warranty, I'm claiming under the Sale of Goods Act.

Anyone reading this thread who does ever run into warranty problems (especially if they claim the warranty is voided by something or other) should have a look at the Sale of Goods Act to see if it can be used.
That's some good points there and I'll keep them in mind, but remember my point wasn't that they won't honour a warranty as such, but that they pretend that the product isn't faulty, thereby pretending that there's no warranty claim to be made. A sharp practice, if ever I saw one.

System Name Chaos
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix B550
Cooling 6x 140mm + 360 mm Strix AIO
Memory 32Gb Corsair ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil
Storage ADATA SX8200 + kingston savage 240 gb ssd x2 + 1tb toshiba 7200
Display(s) AOC 32 inch Freesync monitor
Case Game Max Silent Black
Audio Device(s) HD Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Mouse corsair harpoon gaming mouse
Keyboard BlackWeb wired gaming keyboard
Software Windows 11 x64
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on how well the new owners run it. I'd love them to reform it. I would then be able to stop boycotting it and my choice of suppliers would widen. Let's face it, there aren't all that many of these specialist computer retailers in the UK.

of course it's a bad thing look at other firms that are owned outside of the uk , it's just like the elec prices keep going up and nothing you can do either because they are owned out side of the uk

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
That's some good points there and I'll keep them in mind, but remember my point wasn't that they won't honour a warranty as such, but that they pretend that the product isn't faulty, thereby pretending that there's no warranty claim to be made. A sharp practice, if ever I saw one.

That's much harder to deal with, sadly. That's where you'd have to get someone independent to verify the fault and then chase after the retailer, possibly through court. Still worth it to mention the sale of goods act, because that's what you'd take them to court to pursue. However they'd get away with it in the majority of cases. I once went to trading standards about OcUK because they were hiding behind a warranty on a Xerox monitor. I was left dealing with a third party appointed by Xerox to handle warranty replacements and I'd spent weeks without a monitor, sadly Trading Standards weren't really able to do much, and I had received the replacement monitor before they'd gone anywhere with the case. They were aware of Overclockers, so I wasn't the only person to have gone to Trading Standards about them. That was however at least 5 years ago.

Shovinus

I will say as a staff member myself of OcUK that deals with RMAs, I am very sorry if you have had a genuine problem in the past that due to it having been our policies I have not been allowed to give help on, CKs views and policies are far far better for the customer than Marks were.

The new policies already put in place give us far more power to help customers than before, there have been times I have been almost crying for a customer because of not being in a position to help, but this will all change.

It used to be the worst job I had had, now it is awesome, I am not here to give PR, my main purpose is actually to reach out to any of those that have had bad experiences and ask you to talk to me and I will try and fix them where I can. No-one has asked me to do this, I might even get told off, but I am finally free to help instead of hinder, so I want to use that power for good.

Don't go thinking we wanted to be bastards to you in returns, we really really didn't, hell it only made us depressed, but now its a completely new ethic as the new rules are past down from a company that has made its name in Germany and even all the way over to here for offering some of the best customer service and value around.

If any of you want to contact me please feel free to message me on here and I will try and get back to you as fast as I can (My colleague is on holiday for 2 weeks mind so I will be a bit overloaded but I will try to catch up after work)

Have a good day everyone :)