• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard sues maker of WoW Glider

Bastieeeh

Processor Dual Xeon 2.8GHz
Motherboard Asus PCH-DL
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS XP and Dual Laing
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800XT
Storage 8x Hitachi 7K250 Raid 5 and 2x WD Raptor74GB Raid 0
Display(s) Eizo 21" FlexScan T966 CRT and S1910 LCD
Case Lian Li PC-V2100B
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Tagan 480W TG480-U01
During the last week already Blizzard Entertainment and Vivendi Games filed against Michael Donnelly, creator of WoW Glider. WoW Glider is a so called Bot which acts for you and controls your character while you are away. Blizzard respectively Vivendi, who are known for banning thousands of players because of using such 3rd party software, accused Donelly of violating their rights associated with "World of Warcraft", of infringing copyrights owned by them, violating the DMCA and so on.
A fairly one-sided and biased presentation of what happened can be found at MarkeeDragon.

If you are interested in more forensic details you can read a few documents regarding the claims and counterclaims over here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Online cheaters suck.

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
Bah screw Blizzard. I am pissed with them as it is.

They had me banned for acts that I did not commit, and whole other nonsense, they actually have a small lawsuit going against them that I am part of dealing with their treatment of customers. Doubt there is any news on it though as nothing has come of it.

They have also been getting reported to the BBB(better Business Bureau) I myself also reported them. Though I don't actually know that they are part of the BBB or not. Not entirely sure how that works. If this lawsuit is anything like the one my parents had against MS, ten years from now Ill get a check in the mail for 10$.

Screw Blizzard, Screw WoW. Companies need to stop making MMOs, I have had nothing but nonsense with them.

I personally hope Blizzard loses this claim, as realistically it doesn't seem like they really have the legal right. At best they can ban the people who use it, and put into affect something that stops it from being used. And screw them and their trademark of WoW :|

On a side note, if Compuserve and Blizzard have wow/WoW, can Windows be using that "Wow it's windows Vista or whatever"

I can never get these damn laws straight, just when I think I understand, it changes.

First of all, the linky is completely broken, the wqrite compares the program to moneyfarms/leveling agencies, which is completely different since the EULA clearly states that you can't use the account with more than one person, this being you.
Besides that, he clearly does not now any law as he states himself. Not that I'm an expert but if you bother to read EULA's you'll see that this is exactly what is written in them.

As to Scavar, they do not own the word "wow", just World of Warcraft. As for your comparison with Vista, XP64 actually has a layer called wow (wow64), means Windows on Windows 64. Perhaps Vista has this as well, I don't know.

I hope Windows wins this, they are protecting the majority of the users. As I've seen with many games (just take Blizzards own Diablo (and Diablo II)) the multiplayer part gets totally fucked up by people trying to cheat. Duping, botting, selling stuff on ebay. Diablo II had a great economy, it was a great game, until all the items were dupes and people only cared about real money. If you want to cheat, host your own server. (which is illegal as well as far as I know, but you won't hurt anyone else)

Last edited by a moderator:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
old news .. blizzard is stupid .. they do not take action against botters .. i reported one when he was level 46 .. reported him three times over a week .. now he's 60 and still farming in blasted lands ..

based on my experience i would say 10% of people in wow are bots .. which means 800k subscribers that pay a monthly fee ..

Bastieeeh

Processor Dual Xeon 2.8GHz
Motherboard Asus PCH-DL
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS XP and Dual Laing
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) Sapphire X800XT
Storage 8x Hitachi 7K250 Raid 5 and 2x WD Raptor74GB Raid 0
Display(s) Eizo 21" FlexScan T966 CRT and S1910 LCD
Case Lian Li PC-V2100B
Power Supply Tagan 480W TG480-U01
So you are still playing W1zz? I quit business around a 8 months ago. It's plain time wasting...

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
Bah screw Blizzard. I am pissed with them as it is.

They had me banned for acts that I did not commit, and whole other nonsense, they actually have a small lawsuit going against them that I am part of dealing with their treatment of customers. Doubt there is any news on it though as nothing has come of it.

They have also been getting reported to the BBB(better Business Bureau) I myself also reported them. Though I don't actually know that they are part of the BBB or not. Not entirely sure how that works. If this lawsuit is anything like the one my parents had against MS, ten years from now Ill get a check in the mail for 10$.

Screw Blizzard, Screw WoW. Companies need to stop making MMOs, I have had nothing but nonsense with them.

I personally hope Blizzard loses this claim, as realistically it doesn't seem like they really have the legal right. At best they can ban the people who use it, and put into affect something that stops it from being used. And screw them and their trademark of WoW :|

On a side note, if Compuserve and Blizzard have wow/WoW, can Windows be using that "Wow it's windows Vista or whatever"

I can never get these damn laws straight, just when I think I understand, it changes.

vug blizzards pairnt company is one of the worst game publishers/distributers there is, they dont give a crap about anything but $$$, they banned 4 ppl i know who had accounts that where all very simlar(2 letters diffrent on each account name) because they tryed to say it was farming, no it was 4 ppl who live in the same house and play for days strait(when they dont have class) after 6 months fighting with them blizzard/vug told them if they wanted to play they could buy new account keys.

they are playing SilkRoadOnline now since its free and unless ur a blatant botter u dont get banned, and the gfx are comprable to WoW as well.

blizzard was better when they where a standalone company but thats years dead and gone,
hate vug, hate those french bastages!!!!

w1zzard, thats why i know 20+ people who quit WoW to play SRO, because if u report a botter guess what, the botter is removed, i did this in game to a GM who was on answering questions(weekly thing) and taking sujestions/ideas for the dev team, i reported it with a PM and 30sec later the gm was there, he checked the guy, stood there and watched the guys patern(circular thru a spawn zone) as he answered questions, then he turned the botter red and let me kill it :D
then from what he said he banned the account and thanked me and gave me a couple names i could pm if i saw other botters.

sad when a FREE TO PLAY FOREVER game has better service then a pay to play!!!

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz 4MB @ 4.26Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5N32E 680i SLi LGA775
Cooling Scythe Infinity 120mm @ 1,200 RPM | Arctic Cooling 3x 120mm @ 1,000 RPM
Memory Corsair Dominator 2GB CL 4-3-4-12 DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) @ DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X2800XTX @ 900/1350 w/HR-03 Plus
Storage Western Digital 150GB 16MB Raptor 10,000 RPM | Western Digital 2x 250GB (RAID0) 8MB Cavier SE
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP HD LCD Widescreen 1200p
Case Antec 900 w/modded top 200mm @ 800RPM
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Thermaltake ToughPower 750w 60A
Software Windows XP SP2 Gold Edition
Im against games like this and for programs. With a program u can achieve the kind of happiness and feeling of accomplishment that u would with 1000+ hours of gameplay. Because in all, the thing that matters most in these games is how people look at u.. thats what makes it more fun than an RPG that u play with urself - the interaction with others and the superiority and respect that u get for doing something well enough.

Dont waste ur life - use 3rd part programs.

The only thing that guy did wrong was tell them who he was.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is retarded to the max. This brings me back to the ole days when I play MUD games, specifically, TERRIS. Some folks there, actually figured out a bot to work for them and level them up on easy creatures that gave gravy exp. Such things as scrolling squids and what not, room spelling them, and repeat. Personally, I see nothing wrong with that. It took me 2 ooc (out of character) years to reach legend level (level 35) by then, I got into the Halls of Legends and also the Halls of Antiquity (both of which were very hard to earn your way into, much less the HOA had to get items and you had to figure it out on your own.) Some people took an exception to this and started a flame thread on the posts board. Needless to say it was idiotic at best. So, someone figured out a way to do something quicker. Big deal. At least you know you worked your butt off and who cares about the other guy. Basically, all Im saying is, Blizzard should back off. If it hurts the game and their profit, I Can see them saying something. If it doesnt, then no need to bother. Sorry for the ranting...

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Meh, the way I see it is you're probably going to be playing some sort of game in your free time if you choose to play video games as a form of entertainment. You might as well play a game where you can at least interact with friends who may play it with you. You can stay in a room and play oblivion, or you can stay in a room and play WoW, and socialize with someone who you may also hang out with when you're not gaming.

There are obviously a few people with problems, that take the game to far. There are a lot more people who play it though, that you might never guess do.

As far as the botters go? They bug me a little, but I don't think they create that large of a problem, I don't really care how blizzard deals with them as long as the numbers remain rather low.

As far as Blizzard just wanting to make money, yeah it's true. You have to remember, they made the game as a means of profit, not for your entertainment. They only entertain you so they can make more money. That's the point of a business to profit. You know why businesses try to keep customers happy? It's not because they care about you. It's because if they treat you well, you'll come back, and they'll make more money.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
So you are still playing W1zz? I quit business around a 8 months ago. It's plain time wasting...
Time for some private servers.:D

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
You know why businesses try to keep customers happy? It's not because they care about you. It's because if they treat you well, you'll come back, and they'll make more money.

So very true!

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
ah but in the mmo buisness once they got many people hooked they will come back no matter what, even to buying new copys to beable to play because they where banned for something they dont even know how to do.