• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nofan Working on Affordable CR-80EH Silent CPU Cooler

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
For the coffee strainer picture. The company that owns NoFan is a lighting company. I think they re purposed sconces of theater lights to be coolers. Once you see it the urge to put a light bulb in the center becomes overwhelming.

http://www.icepipeled.com/eng/products/H3000_embedded.php
http://www.icepipeled.com/eng/products/T7000_floodlight.php

After seeing the sconces on those lights, it literally looks like they did just that. Madness.
But thank you sir for being so informative.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
If these have decent cooling, it seems to me that a higher power processor could be kept cool with a passive heatsink and a TEC. If complete silence under high load is the goal, that seems like a viable option.

And I'm saying that these are designed to be FULLY passive (0db), hence their size.

I was discerning the difference between using these and a regular tower cooler with their fans ripped out. (please read the whole thread)

this makes me wonder, what if you used fans with passive designed heatsinks, will you get even better cooling performance over regular or even some water?

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
this makes me wonder, what if you used fans with passive designed heatsinks, will you get even better cooling performance over regular or even some water?

Depends on the heatsink. Most no fan heatsinks like the one in the OP have a low fin count as to not restrict airflow. The ones that cool really well are just massive heatsinks. It all comes down to surface area and airflow.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Depends on the heatsink. Most no fan heatsinks like the one in the OP have a low fin count as to not restrict airflow. The ones that cool really well are just massive heatsinks. It all comes down to surface area and airflow.

Correct, completely fanless (0db) designs have a open-fin layout where the force of convection is able to operate at any direction and minimize resistance to allows hot air to rise upward, regardless of which orientation you place your desktop.

Air towers on the other hand, usually have their fins oriented in one direction, so it would maximize on the airflow generated by the fans, and if you decide to run them fanless, you have to pay attention to which orientation to install it to not restrict laws of convection.

lanceknightnight

More fun (a review with and without fans)

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/audio/nofan_cr-95c_icepipe_95w_fanless_cpu_cooler_review/1

As an owner it shows fans at most dropping 20c. But normally it is like 5. The system is not made with fins and thus air flow is not catered to. there is no where for the heat transfer to happen at high speed. It also gets hot. You need to know it runs right next to thermal limit on a 4770k. I can run it 100% little dips to 98% for a whole day in a hot room. but put in any more heat and new problems.

Case fans help but not well compared to units made to use a fan. This is made to be passive. This makes TIM a huge deal. (thermal interface)

For me I had a stock r9 290x OC powercolor and in a totally passive system, no problems. The fan was a little less noisy then a lap top. But too noisy for my dreams or my hobbies. So I put on a MK 26. almost silent. The added heat to my totally open system makes problems. Thus I am working on a form of wall to block the extra heat.

I know I can do this as well It worked before. I just need a different way to separate heat