• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Board Names Satya Nadella as CEO

Microsoft Corp. today announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Satya Nadella as Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors effective immediately. Nadella previously held the position of Executive Vice President of Microsoft's Cloud and Enterprise group.

"During this time of transformation, there is no better person to lead Microsoft than Satya Nadella," said Bill Gates, Microsoft's Founder and Member of the Board of Directors. "Satya is a proven leader with hard-core engineering skills, business vision and the ability to bring people together. His vision for how technology will be used and experienced around the world is exactly what Microsoft needs as the company enters its next chapter of expanded product innovation and growth."

Since joining the company in 1992, Nadella has spearheaded major strategy and technical shifts across the company's portfolio of products and services, most notably the company's move to the cloud and the development of one of the largest cloud infrastructures in the world supporting Bing, Xbox, Office and other services. During his tenure overseeing Microsoft's Server and Tools Business, the division outperformed the market and took share from competitors.

"Microsoft is one of those rare companies to have truly revolutionized the world through technology, and I couldn't be more honored to have been chosen to lead the company," Nadella said. "The opportunity ahead for Microsoft is vast, but to seize it, we must focus clearly, move faster and continue to transform. A big part of my job is to accelerate our ability to bring innovative products to our customers more quickly."

"Having worked with him for more than 20 years, I know that Satya is the right leader at the right time for Microsoft," said Steve Ballmer, who announced on Aug. 23, 2013 that he would retire once a successor was named. "I've had the distinct privilege of working with the most talented employees and senior leadership team in the industry, and I know their passion and hunger for greatness will only grow stronger under Satya's leadership."

Microsoft also announced that Bill Gates, previously Chairman of the Board of Directors, will assume a new role on the Board as Founder and Technology Advisor, and will devote more time to the company, supporting Nadella in shaping technology and product direction. John Thompson, lead independent director for the Board of Directors, will assume the role of Chairman of the Board of Directors and remain an independent director on the Board.

"Satya is clearly the best person to lead Microsoft, and he has the unanimous support of our Board," Thompson said. "The Board took the thoughtful approach that our shareholders, customers, partners and employees expected and deserved."

With the addition of Nadella, Microsoft's Board of Directors consists of Ballmer; Dina Dublon, former Chief Financial Officer of JPMorgan Chase; Gates; Maria M. Klawe, President of Harvey Mudd College; Stephen J. Luczo, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Seagate Technology PLC; David F. Marquardt, General Partner at August Capital; Nadella; Charles H. Noski, former Vice Chairman of Bank of America Corp.; Dr. Helmut Panke, former Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW Bayerische Motoren Werke AG; and Thompson, Chief Executive Officer of Virtual Instruments. Seven of the 10 board members are independent of Microsoft, which is consistent with the requirement in the company's governance guidelines that a substantial majority be independent.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Awesome. I like the idea of keeping insiders rather than pulling Ford's CEO.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I hope he fixes Ballmer's almighty screwups.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
I hope he fixes Ballmer's almighty screwups.

In my opinion, he didn't screw anything up. He missed the boat on mobile platforms and made some bad stock decisions regarding Apple. The only reason Microsoft's marketcap is 300billion and currently sitting behind both Apple and Google is because Ballmer shrugged of the iPhone in 2006/2007 (and the genre that phone created) and then further shrugged off the iPad in 2010(and the tablet world that was created). Basically nailed his own coffin.

Microsoft is JUST NOW starting to get modern phones out. They are so late to the phone arena that they previously controlled for years it's not even funny. As far as tablets, they are also behind but making huge strides.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This year will be massively interesting.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
This year will be massively interesting.

It will be the blessed year of the Start Menu and the mythical ideas surrounding such a marketable thing.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
It will be the blessed year of the Start Menu and the mythical ideas surrounding such a marketable thing.

Those are just myths mate.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
In my opinion, he didn't screw anything up.

Let's see. OSes: Vista, Windows 8, Windows RT. Next, complete failure of mobile market, he even made stupid fun of iPhone, remember? :))) Xbone, a major fail imo; Search engine Bing, complete failure; Zune player...lol
Money: wasted on useles buyouts (Skype, Yammer, aQuantive, etc)
more here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-ballmers-most-epic-mistakes-as-ceo-of-microsoft-2013-8?op=1

http://www.netnetweb.com/blog/top-10-reasons-why-steve-ballmer-has-failed-microsoft%E2%80%99s-ceo

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Let's see. OSes: Vista, Windows 8, Windows RT. Next, complete failure of mobile market, he even made stupid fun of iPhone, remember? :))) Xbone, a major fail imo; Search engine Bing, complete failure; Zune player...lol
more here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-ballmers-most-epic-mistakes-as-ceo-of-microsoft-2013-8?op=1

http://www.netnetweb.com/blog/top-10-reasons-why-steve-ballmer-has-failed-microsoft%E2%80%99s-ceo

Nevermind he improved their finance and the Xbox is a pretty damnable strong name these days. Bing is hardly a failure, the XB1 is selling just fine, Windows 8 is doing just fine, Windows RT is not doing so fine (it was decent though, now it's sort of useless as you can get the "full" version on capable hardware on the cheap), Vista was just fine, Zune did not do fine... It's like you're expecting a 110% success rate, which is impossible for a company that big.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
more here:

Providing "top ten reason" articles is ridiculous/apple fanboyism. Get real sources, such as: http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Pr...eases_December_2013_US_Search_Engine_Rankings

On topic, I think this is going to be great for MS. Clearly over the years focus from Gates and Ballmer's missteps did not grow the company. I see a big win for all, better competition/innovation from MS, new CEO focused on developing the company, Gates spending more time in development, and new Chairman getting goals to align with output.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Nevermind he improved their finance and the Xbox is a pretty damnable strong name these days. Bing is hardly a failure, the XB1 is selling just fine, Windows 8 is doing just fine, Windows RT is not doing so fine (it was decent though, now it's sort of useless as you can get the "full" version on capable hardware on the cheap), Vista was just fine, Zune did not do fine... It's like you're expecting a 110% success rate, which is impossible for a company that big.

Xbox is a force to be reckoned with.
Bing is a steaming pile of ass nobody likes or uses except your grandparents.
XB1 is fine despite early setbacks of douchebaggery moves like no game swapping.
Windows 8 is doing OK thanks to your typical PC world shipping methods, and a lot of gamers are adopting it, but the lack of a start menu is still a touchy issue for most.
Windows RT was a failure, but Windows Phone 8 is amazing, and most Win Phone 8 users I know are extremely happy with the interface and usability (myself included, i use both a lumia 800 and a HTC One).
Vista would have been fine if 90% of domestic users had more than 1GB of RAM, it was a case of software overtaking hardware in terms of requirements.
I like Zune, the software, its fast and snappy, and I still use it to this day. itunes is a hog and slow and altogether terrible in terms of openness and usability. (that's an opinion, to those that feel like attacking me for stating an opinion, go sodomise yourselves if you want to start an arguement).

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Xbox is a force to be reckoned with.
Bing is a steaming pile of ass nobody likes or uses except your grandparents.
XB1 is fine despite early setbacks of douchebaggery moves like no game swapping.
Windows 8 is doing OK thanks to your typical PC world shipping methods, and a lot of gamers are adopting it, but the lack of a start menu is still a touchy issue for most.
Windows RT was a failure, but Windows Phone 8 is amazing, and most Win Phone 8 users I know are extremely happy with the interface and usability (myself included, i use both a lumia 800 and a HTC One).
Vista would have been fine if 90% of domestic users had more than 1GB of RAM, it was a case of software overtaking hardware in terms of requirements.
I like Zune, the software, its fast and snappy, and I still use it to this day. itunes is a hog and slow and altogether terrible in terms of openness and usability. (that's an opinion, to those that feel like attacking me for stating an opinion, go sodomise yourselves if you want to start an arguement).

Overall I don't agree with the poster you responded to. However, the Zune was a failure. The iPod only served a temporary means to an end for Apple. Portable music players just don't really have a place anymore. Microsoft realized this long ago.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Windows 8.2 which Restores Aero and Windows 7 Likeness for Desktops and gives Tab users the same GUI but for touch use?

Processor Intel Core i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright Archon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz (8-8-8-24)
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Storage Plextor M5 Pro 512GB; WD Caviar Green 2TB
Display(s) 2x HP ZR24w
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Special Edition Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G403 HERO
Keyboard SteelSeries 7G
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit EN
The Board took the thoughtful approach that our shareholders, customers, partners and employees expected and deserved.

Call me suspicious, but I find it typical that shareholders is mentioned before customers and employees...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
In my opinion, he didn't screw anything up. He missed the boat on mobile platforms and made some bad stock decisions regarding Apple. The only reason Microsoft's marketcap is 300billion and currently sitting behind both Apple and Google is because Ballmer shrugged of the iPhone in 2006/2007 (and the genre that phone created) and then further shrugged off the iPad in 2010(and the tablet world that was created). Basically nailed his own coffin.

Microsoft is JUST NOW starting to get modern phones out. They are so late to the phone arena that they previously controlled for years it's not even funny. As far as tablets, they are also behind but making huge strides.
Windows Vista and especially Windows 8, both almighty screwups. He signed off on them, so yeah, he screwed up. There have been other things like prima.vera pointed out, but I'm personally most concerned with what's happened to Windows.

RT is not a failure, I use it everyday to read, surf, work: last week I used my RT tablet to review and proofread a 1000 page report sitting in my favorite pub while I was paid! Life is beautiful!

Welcome Mr. Nadella! :)

System Name Purity Control
Processor Intel i5 2500
Motherboard ASRock H61 Pro BTC
Cooling Grand Kama Cross 2
Memory 8 GB Corsair XMS 3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 750 Ti Storm X OC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Westen Digital Black 500 GB
Display(s) Asus VX239H-W 24 inch
Case Bitfenix NEOS (All white)
Audio Device(s) Integrated (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
Power Supply Corsair CX 430
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Windows 8.2 which Restores Aero and Windows 7 Likeness for Desktops and gives Tab users the same GUI but for touch use?
There will never be a version 8.2. Only 8.1 update 1 but that will not include the features you outlined. You will have to wait until Windows 9 in March - April 2015 to get your start menu back and a better desktop environment. But if you are a touch user and not a mouse first user then you will be getting an improved Metro (modern) interface.
So if you like the good old Desktop then stick with Windows 7 until then.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah I thought so Marty, just wondering lol, Im a traditional Desktop user- Win 7 is the weapon of choice with my Phone being a galaxy S4

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I was waiting hopeful for MS. But I read the PR statement above. It is the biggest crock of management-speak-twaddle I've ever read. You can play buzzword bingo with it. Other than that, it is vacuous and empty. If the Board is so lost, the company is lost. I think Gates is going to have to do a LOT MORE than just be "technology advisor". The whole management team and management-think needs a boot up the backside. I'm embarrassed for them.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
RT is not a failure, I use it everyday to read, surf, work: last week I used my RT tablet to review and proofread a 1000 page report sitting in my favorite pub while I was paid! Life is beautiful!

Welcome Mr. Nadella! :)
Just because you use it and happen to like it doesn't mean it's not a failure. It's the market penetration that matters and that's virtually nil.

System Name Desktop
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Asrock Z77
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory G Skill 8gb 1600 mhz X 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon 7850 X 2
Storage 1 TB Velociraptor, 240GB 840 Samsung
Display(s) 27" Samsung LED X 2
Case Thermaltake V9
Power Supply Seasonic 620 W, CX600M on stand by
Software Win 8.1 64
Benchmark Scores Benches are silly
Overall I don't agree with the poster you responded to. However, the Zune was a failure. The iPod only served a temporary means to an end for Apple. Portable music players just don't really have a place anymore. Microsoft realized this long ago.

Are you serious? Apple is making billions off Ipods every year. There's a lot of people that wants Ipods.

I would agree with you if they only sold 1-2M a year. However, in 2013, they sold 26.3M ipods. That's not some trivial amount.

Just because you use it and happen to like it doesn't mean it's not a failure. It's the market penetration that matters and that's virtually nil.

Maybe for the MS investors. For me, only thing that matters is what it does for ME. Couldn't care less about market penetration. I also used the Compaq iPAQ for years with great pleasure.
If we all only bought "bestsellers" the world would be totally facked up. In my religion bestsellers (books, music, food. clothes...) are rubbish. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Are you serious? Apple is making billions off Ipods every year. There's a lot of people that wants Ipods.

I would agree with you if they only sold 1-2M a year. However, in 2013, they sold 26.3M ipods. That's not some trivial amount.

im one of few who refuses to buy them, i work using a ipad n phone provided by the company. In due honesty they drive me up the wall because of how limited their functionality is.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Maybe for the MS investors. For me, only thing that matters is what it does for ME. Couldn't care less about market penetration. I also used the Compaq iPAQ for years with great pleasure.
If we all only bought "bestsellers" the world would be totally facked up. In my religion bestsellers (books, music, food. clothes...) are rubbish. :)
You're still conflating how much you like the product with how successful in the market it is. They're two different things.

Epic and Boobs also are two different things :p