• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Partners With Oculus and Dell to Power Oculus-Ready PCs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced a collaboration with Oculus and Dell to equip Oculus Ready PCs with AMD Radeon GPUs, starting at $999 USD. The powerful PCs are designed to deliver stunning gaming performance and enable spectacular VR experiences for consumers around the world by leveraging AMD VR leadership with LiquidVR and Graphics Core Next architecture.

"It's an exciting time to be at the heart of all things Virtual Reality," said Roy Taylor, corporate vice president, Alliances and Content, AMD. "I'm confident that with Dell and Alienware, we can enable a wide audience of PC users with extraordinary VR capabilities powered by AMD Radeon GPUs."

In March, AMD announced an initiative to deliver the ultimate VR experience for developers and users enabled through AMD LiquidVR technology. AMD LiquidVR enables low-latency VR performance that maintains reliable comfort during your VR experience, and plug-and-play compatibility with VR headsets. AMD GPU software and hardware subsystems are a major component in making AMD LiquidVR a reality and in turn allowing for developers and content creators to enable a life-like presence in VR environments.

"For nearly 20 years Alienware has been a leader in performance and innovation for PC gaming; virtual reality is the next frontier and we plan to innovate and lead in the same way, with the same passion," said Frank Azor, Co-founder and General Manager, Alienware. "Partnering with the performance of AMD graphics and the innovation of Oculus provides an incredible opportunity for Alienware to deliver something awesome for our users."

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
project quantum going into production????

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
Good news for AMD anyhow...

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Looks like a big break for AMD, and with Oculus being the next big thing in entertainment industry, should help boost AMD's sales figure.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The VR is something new but the 3D is more than 5 years old. What is the connection?
3D is 3D whither it is through 3D Glasses . Glasses free LCDs , Holo lenses or VR. creating contents is almost same but delivering is the difference. The idea is to create an image for each eye in sync with the other image supplied for the other eye that combined can make the illusion of the third dimension .
VR is easier in term of delivering the images to each eye because each eye has its LCD, so no sharing for the out put devices that need spliter like 3D glasses. At the same time the sensors in the VR headset is the big story because it make the the Headsets not an output devices rather than an interactive connected device that response to your head and body movements and changes in their orientation.
So many companies in the world have experience to make and deliver the images required for the VR. One of them is nVidia who has supported 3D games for many years and having drivers for 3D since very long time how much do you think they need to modify their drivers, they were dealing with the problem of making two images and send them to the same output device (one LCD,CRT,Projector,...ect) and then split them through 3D glasses. so VR mean less work for output side compared to old 3D and more work on the input side.
In total. Send that VR to production lines, Do mass product and put it in market. We end users, and them the GPU makers and the content creators are ready for this. Put it in our hands for good price and we and them will find our way through problems like what we all do always. Thanks.

Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
The VR is something new but the 3D is more than 5 years old. What is the connection?
3D is 3D whither it is through 3D Glasses . Glasses free LCDs , Holo lenses or VR. creating contents is almost same but delivering is the difference. The idea is to create an image for each eye in sync with the other image supplied for the other eye that combined can make the illusion of the third dimension .
VR is easier in term of delivering the images to each eye because each eye has its LCD, so no sharing for the out put devices that need spliter like 3D glasses. At the same time the sensors in the VR headset is the big story because it make the the Headsets not an output devices rather than an interactive connected device that response to your head and body movements and changes in their orientation.
So many companies in the world have experience to make and deliver the images required for the VR. One of them is nVidia who has supported 3D games for many years and having drivers for 3D since very long time how much do you think they need to modify their drivers, they were dealing with the problem of making two images and send them to the same output device (one LCD,CRT,Projector,...ect) and then split them through 3D glasses. so VR mean less work for output side compared to old 3D and more work on the input side.
In total. Send that VR to production lines, Do mass product and put it in market. We end users, and them the GPU makers and the content creators are ready for this. Put it in our hands for good price and we and them will find our way through problems like what we all do always. Thanks.

You are confusing yourself - the reason why Oculus went with AMD is because Nvidia Graphic cards were unable to match the latency requirement set by Oculus team.
VR gaming content is a different ball game altogether compared to creating Movie content for VR.

You are confusing yourself - the reason why Oculus went with AMD is because Nvidia Graphic cards were unable to match the latency requirement set by Oculus team.
VR gaming content is a different ball game altogether compared to creating Movie content for VR.
Latency is software problem came from changing the output method but dealing with real world problems is what give edge not only nVidia but other companies who where dealing with the 3D work for long time and notice that AMD doesn't have their own 3D drivers.
3D contents doesn't mean movies. it mean 3D created by GPU.
I would like to ask you how many times Oculus used nVidia's cards to demonstrate their headset and how many times did they used AMD.

Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
Latency is software problem came from changing the output method but dealing with real world problems is what give edge not only nVidia but other companies who where dealing with the 3D work for long time and notice that AMD doesn't have their own 3D drivers.
3D contents doesn't mean movies. it mean 3D created by GPU.
I would like to ask you how many times Oculus used nVidia's cards to demonstrate their headset and how many times did they used AMD.

Latency is a software problem ??? Alright then that closes our discussion right there.

EDIT: I didn't want to take the bait but just an FYI, you have a very wrong notion about whats happening in VR - Any way if you want to know more about how Nvidia is in VR field please go through what David Kanter said during the podcast with TR's Damage.

http://wccftech.com/preemption-cont...st-amd-pretty-good-intel-catastrophic-nvidia/

Last edited:
Latency is software problem
and yet nbadia drivers are better than the competition? sure thing buddy, here are some more things that are a software problem:
>3.5gb (gigabyte l2-cache/advertisement fiasco)
>wooden screws (we have a working one in the back)
>housefires (mobile housefires sold separately)
>tessellation overlord (my water taste funny)
>overcockblocked (never worked in the first place)
>notfHAIRworks (more=better)
>batman gameworks but notworkingrightnow (pause for cliff hanger)
>hybridphyxs (my way or the highway)
>nouveau/bumblebee/optimus support (linus_torvalds_middle_finger.jpg)
>... etc
>should i keep going?

isnt it amazing how they/you are still getting payed for this? todays marketing strategies, with their "online agents" sure are weird.

this post as been formatted in the way you can understand it best

Last edited:
Offtopic:
I like the design of the monitor in this pic, i think thinner frame doesnt neccessarly mean better look

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather have the specs and have the option to build my own system.

I recall when Microsoft Media Center was first released you could only buy it with an OEM system which was considerably over priced for what it was.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
This will be good for AMD stock lol

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
This will be good for AMD stock lol
That's what the timing is all about - AMD getting out ahead of the Q3 2015 earnings call.
I was expecting more on the feelgood front TBH. Launching the FirePro W7170M and the Dell deal aren't big counters to the 5% workforce reduction, the Silver Lake investment falling through (which probably led to the job cuts), and what is shaping up to be a stale quarter for market share.

and yet nbadia drivers are better than the competition? sure thing buddy, here are some more things that are a software problem:
>3.5gb (gigabyte l2-cache/advertisement fiasco)
>wooden screws (we have a working one in the back)
>housefires (mobile housefires sold separately)
>tessellation overlord (my water taste funny)
>overcockblocked (never worked in the first place)
>notfHAIRworks (more=better)
>batman gameworks but notworkingrightnow (pause for cliff hanger)
>hybridphyxs (my way or the highway)
>nouveau/bumblebee/optimus support (linus_torvalds_middle_finger.jpg)
>... etc
>should i keep going?

isnt it amazing how they/you are still getting payed for this? todays marketing strategies, with their "online agents" sure are weird.

this post as been formatted in the way you can understand it best
English Please!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for making you think that I am with them since I am still boiling my breakfast eggs on my R9 290X. But as a CEO for an engineering company I know the successful people and and know the people who are destroying themselves. Nvidia built a strong company that can adapt to any changes in due time and have a strong R&D unlike AMD who rush to show halfa**ed jobs just to beat Nvidia . that's why pro. people trust Nvidia and that's why Nvidia holds more than 80% of market . I am not against AMD and I don't want them to disappear but I will not say anything nice until they find their way back to the right track. I can't cheer up for them for every PR talk or for trying to re name last year chips and call it new or trying to milk the old design by die shrink and over clocking and one day they find themselves generations behind competitors like their problem in CPU market with Intel.they need to Fix their problems, don't waste time in a good for nothing PR talk and don't release half completed products then I will NOT call AMD (AllMost Dead ) and I will cheer for them.

Sorry for making you think that I am with them since I am still boiling my breakfast eggs on my R9 290X.
If you don't have money I'll talk to NVIDIA to give you some they sure have alot.

please stop embarrassing yourself, just take the money and post stuff like "good news" or something that doesnt draw that much attention like your current content marketing stuff

also why
if you dont seem to be able to articulate it in a proper manner?

Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
Sorry for making you think that I am with them since I am still boiling my breakfast eggs on my R9 290X. But as a CEO for an engineering company I know the successful people and and know the people who are destroying themselves. Nvidia built a strong company that can adapt to any changes in due time and have a strong R&D unlike AMD who rush to show halfa**ed jobs just to beat Nvidia . that's why pro. people trust Nvidia and that's why Nvidia holds more than 80% of market . I am not against AMD and I don't want them to disappear but I will not say anything nice until they find their way back to the right track. I can't cheer up for them for every PR talk or for trying to re name last year chips and call it new or trying to milk the old design by die shrink and over clocking and one day they find themselves generations behind competitors like their problem in CPU market with Intel.they need to Fix their problems, don't waste time in a good for nothing PR talk and don't release half completed products then I will NOT call AMD (AllMost Dead ) and I will cheer for them.

Dude - you are complete rookie at trolling, can you please stick to latency is software issue, that was rather more entertaining. I was kind of having fun reading your tech understanding. This above paragraph from you is just sad.

please stop embarrassing yourself, just take the money and post stuff like "good news" or something that doesnt draw that much attention like your current content marketing stuff

also why if you dont seem to be able to articulate it in a proper manner?
The R9 is the cause that I will never buy any AMD again and it was my brother's first mistake [second is microsoft 640XL]. And by the way my last post to you look useless because you didn't buy what I told you to buy so stop embarrassing yourself and go buy some because one day you will need to go to real world and then turn in total disaster. and by the way if Nvidia refuse to pay you maybe if I find that will save you life I will buy you some manners and mail them.

Last edited:
Dude - you are complete rookie at trolling, can you please stick to latency is software issue, that was rather more entertaining. I was kind of having fun reading your tech understanding. This above paragraph from you is just sad.
Of curse I am totally completely rookie at trolling. In fact I don't know how to do that maybe you can teach me. Second we both know that Nvidia is holding 80% of consumers market and dominate the server - workstation GPU business, facts are talking. When it come to put Nvidia vs AMD as companies you can see a stable company with staff some of them back to mid 90s have solid financial position and big R&D team to make their future. and other company that can't keep their CEO for enough time to remember his/her name and staff go in and out loss workers, assets and market shares and keep talking big. No money can save AMD like this they have to save themselves by
Fix their problems, don't waste time in a good for nothing PR talk and don't release half completed products

Some of these post need to come with a decipher

Hmm.. Let me check my Cracker Jack box

Maybe there is a decoder ring in there that makes things a little better to understand.

Reading is your friend.

Oculus said:
For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
  • Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
  • 8GB+ RAM
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports
  • Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Less trolling please. Unless you live under a bridge.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
It's always silly when anybody shouts victory about a product that has got zero significant market traction.
I'd like to think VR is a good progress point but it's unclear how popular it will be. Next year will be more viable as a market period for seeing its popular uptake.
Given both AMD and Nvidia have new architecture coming out in 2016, the flag wavers should just go back home. Technology rolls along and the smart companies adapt.
Maxwell was a compute dropping, efficiency enhancing design. Pascal is going balls out compute again and will likely address all shortcomings of Maxwell.
Arctic Islands should continue on from Fiji but improve its shortcomings in performance, looking at the backend.
Both teams new cards should be a sizeable jump from 2015. So the VR PR? Irrelevant in 2015.

Last edited:
It's always silly when anybody shouts victory about a product that has got zero significant market traction.

Agree, I even tested the Oculus Rift at a Dreamhack, like half year ago, and it seemed to me like a technology in the very early stages with very poor quality, a bit weird colors (greenish) and lots of issues. They had like a roller coaster and while riding it you could move the head and look around in that environment.

It was cool as an idea, but for sure I'd never pay for it as it is now. Plus that I don't see any good application for it for now.

Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Case Corsair 200R
Of curse I am totally completely rookie at trolling. In fact I don't know how to do that maybe you can teach me. Second we both know that Nvidia is holding 80% of consumers market and dominate the server - workstation GPU business, facts are talking. When it come to put Nvidia vs AMD as companies you can see a stable company with staff some of them back to mid 90s have solid financial position and big R&D team to make their future. and other company that can't keep their CEO for enough time to remember his/her name and staff go in and out loss workers, assets and market shares and keep talking big. No money can save AMD like this they have to save themselves by

Dude are you even making sense ? The Article is about AMD partnering with Oculus . What is this 80% market that you are talking about ?? Why are we even discussing AMD's future on this thread ?