• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Rise of the Tomb Raider Bundle

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The turnaround in developer relations for NVIDIA, propelled by its GameWorks software and a refreshed "The Way It's Meant to be Played" (TWIMTBP) program is best exemplified with the upcoming "Rise of the Tomb Raider." A sequel to the 2013 franchise reboot by Square Enix, which brandished the "AMD Game!" logo, and even bundled with certain AMD Radeon graphics cards; the new Tomb Raider not only features the NVIDIA logo, but will also be bundled with select GeForce graphics cards under the new "Discover the Legend Within" bundle.

NVIDIA is giving away "Rise of the Tomb Raider" with GeForce GTX 980 Ti, GTX 980, and GTX 970 graphics cards. This includes cards sold in the retail channel, as well as gaming desktops that come with those cards pre-installed. On the notebook front, select notebooks running the GTX 980, GTX 980M, and GTX 970M will also give you a key to the game. The bundle extends to participating retailers and OEMs only.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
so does that mean the game will have Nvidia features that mimic the AMD features in the original Tomb Raider but with sub par performance? lol

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
so does that mean the game will have Nvidia features that mimic the AMD features in the original Tomb Raider but with sub par performance? lol
I thought it was common knowledge that the game incorporates features from both vendors - for example, AMD's TressFX 2.0 (if you are actually interested its development is discussed >>here<<...if you are just experimenting with observational humour feel free to skip).

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Cool but please no Gameworks BS :shadedshu:

Big win for nVidia. Square-Enix was one of the last remaining companies to really stay loyal to AMD through thick and thin. AMD's marketing moneys must be REALLY running low...

I think that Rise of the Tomb Raider is Microsoft now, any way nVidia win an important ground by put their label on game of this weight>

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z710-HD3
Cooling H60
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti
Storage BX100 1 TB
Display(s) Acer S277HK
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply EVGA 750W B2
Mouse Logitech G400s
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
Why do people assume developers are favoring NVIDIA or AMD when something runs faster on one manufacturers' cards?

If you're developing a game or any really complex program, just getting the thing to work (and ironing out bugs) is difficult enough. I don't think any dev will go out of his/her way to make sure performance is better on one manufacturer's cards.

Why do people assume developers are favoring NVIDIA or AMD when something runs faster on one manufacturers' cards?

If you're developing a game or any really complex program, just getting the thing to work (and ironing out bugs) is difficult enough. I don't think any dev will go out of his/her way to make sure performance is better on one manufacturer's cards.

I think people are more suspicious of developers stripping away techniques that were shown and in place during development and in consoles release to be stripped or replace when a deal is struck via anything.

Async shaders were one of the technics highlighted for improved performance as well as a better AO developed in-house. The bundle news leaked that Nvidia VXAO is being used for the PC version. If you can switch between the original and this that be great but we have to see what becomes of the deal. If nothing was stripped or replaced and Nvidia features added as a option that would be best outcome.

Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
So I guess I don't get a copy as I bought my GTX 980 last year..? :-(

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z710-HD3
Cooling H60
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti
Storage BX100 1 TB
Display(s) Acer S277HK
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply EVGA 750W B2
Mouse Logitech G400s
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X4
I think people are more suspicious of developers stripping away techniques that were shown and in place during development and in consoles release to be stripped or replace when a deal is struck via anything.

Async shaders were one of the technics highlighted for improved performance as well as a better AO developed in-house. The bundle news leaked that Nvidia VXAO is being used for the PC version. If you can switch between the original and this that be great but we have to see what becomes of the deal. If nothing was stripped or replaced and Nvidia features added as a option that would be best outcome.
There are plenty of good justifications for stripping out a feature though. Maybe they couldn't get it working/performing well with a lot of hardware configurations, or had bugs they couldn't iron out. Maybe something they wanted to add later didn't mix well with that feature. Or, just keeping multiple code paths that do the same thing was too much work (i.e., if another added feature requires a change, it needs to be implemented and tested across all code paths).

Take async shaders - from what I understand (and I only read about it briefly so I could be wrong), it lets commands get executed in parallel. But what if execution order of the commands ends up changing the output some of the time? Tracking that down could be a pain.

I think part of the problem might be that game developers are under a lot more time pressure than other devs, to meet things like holiday deadlines. So, just getting the thing working and released would be prioritized over non-core features, and perhaps even over stability (as we saw with some recent games).

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)