• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to turn off router network discovery feature?

Processor Intel Core i7 5930K
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme [BIOS 1502]
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2666Mhz C15
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Samsung SM951 M.2 512GB
Display(s) ASUS RoG PG278Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Sound
Power Supply Corsair AX1500i
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
Simple question.

At home I'm running an ASUS RT-AC3200. It allows me to broadcast up to 3 SSIDs.

What I need to do is block on the SSIDs from been able to discover other computers on the network.

I've seen this feature in Ubiquiti routers where you can do this so you can have guests connect to it and not see any other computer or device on the network (especially in cases where you might have a domain controller or server with sensitive data).

I can't seem to find this function on my RC-AC3200, maybe not looking at it with the right name?

I know I can turn off network discovery, but I need this done at the router level for one specific SSID.

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
http://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1000912
easiest way so I do not have to type it out There is a drop down box above it that says frequency, there is where you choose the band you want

I dont want to hide the SSID

I want that SSID to NOT be able to discover other computers.

Let me give you an example. I have SSID "A" and "B"

I want to use my laptop, connect it to "A" and be able to see the domain controller, my desktop computer etc. However, people who connect on "B" should not be able to see my domain controller or ANY other computer or device in neither "A" or "B".

Did I explain myself properly?

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
upload_2016-1-24_20-32-8.png
See page 19 of manual:

Authentication says "open system" or try the drop down for "hidden" and hit apply, Per the band you want to hide from the tabs at the top.

Then see page 22.

22 3.1.2 Managing your network clients
upload_2016-1-24_20-57-29.png

To manage your network clients:

1. From the navigation panel, go to General > Network Map tab.

2. On the Network Map screen, select the Clients icon to display your network client’s information.

3. To block a client’s access to your network, select the client and click the open lock icon.

Last edited:
System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
However, people who connect on "B" should not be able to see my domain controller or ANY other computer or device in neither "A" or "B".
Then I would read the manual and set up a guest network to isolate people from seeing what you don't want them to

System Name RadActive Dragon & Black Dragon
Processor i7 5960X & 1090T
Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD3P & Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling EK EVO & Corsair H50
Memory GSkill TridentZ 32GBs 3200MHz & Vegeance 8GBs 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x 980Ti & 960 FTW
Storage Samsung Pro 256GB & Intel 120GB
Case Heavy modded Haf X & NZXT Apollo
Power Supply AX1200 & AX1200i
Software Windows 7 & Ubuntu 15.04

I want to use my laptop, connect it to "A" and be able to see the domain controller, my desktop computer etc. However, people who connect on "B" should not be able to see my domain controller or ANY other computer or device in neither "A" or "B".

Sounds like you want to do VLAN and subnet. That way each segment is on its own scope.

Found this, could have the answer you looking for.
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-to-share-a-look-at-guest-wi-fi-networks.html

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I know I can turn off network discovery, but I need this done at the router level for one specific SSID.
You can't do that short of making a VLAN with segregated network access because network discovery is up to the machines on the network you're connected to, not the router.

You can't do that short of making a VLAN with segregated network access because network discovery is up to the machines on the network you're connected to, not the router.
Yes he can, that router allows up to 9 additional guest networks (3 per band) on top of the 3 main SSIDs. The 3 main SSIDs should be locked down, do not use them for guests. From the main navigation menu go to General -> Guest Networks. Delete all of your guests at this time and start over. For the first one, click Enable, then enter an SSID, choose the auth type and access time, then for "Access Intranet" click DISABLE. This segments the guest SSID onto its own VLAN that only has internet access. Repeat the process for any other SSIDs you want to create.

Just keep in mind though, even when on a guest SSID, the router will pass your domain info on to the clients during DHCP, so in the Connection Details under "Connection Specific DNS Suffix" - and when you mouseover the wifi icon in the tray - it will still list your domain, but the computers will not be able to access anything on the LAN.

On the domain:

On the guest network: (edit: realized I didnt black something out lol)

Mine is done with pfSense and separate subnets instead of VLANs but since your router probably has the domain settings, it will handle it in the same way.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Yes he can, that router allows up to 9 additional guest networks (3 per band) on top of the 3 main SSIDs. The 3 main SSIDs should be locked down, do not use them for guests. From the main navigation menu go to General -> Guest Networks. Delete all of your guests at this time and start over. For the first one, click Enable, then enter an SSID, choose the auth type and access time, then for "Access Intranet" click DISABLE. This segments the guest SSID onto its own VLAN that only has internet access. Repeat the process for any other SSIDs you want to create.
Yeah, because it makes a VLAN for the guest network for you by restricting it as you described. I said it can't be done without making a VLAN, regardless if the router is doing it for you or not. A vlan is a vlan is a vlan.

My point is that you can't do it without some mechanism that is going to divvy your network up with VLANs regardless if the router is doing it for you or if you're doing it yourself. 1 network = no go, guest isolation = vlan. So you're not refuting what I'm saying, you're just expanding upon it. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Yeah, because it makes a VLAN for the guest network for you by restricting it as you described. I said it can't be done without making a VLAN, regardless if the router is doing it for you or not. A vlan is a vlan is a vlan.

My point is that you can't do it without some mechanism that is going to divvy your network up with VLANs regardless if the router is doing it for you or if you're doing it yourself. 1 network = no go, guest isolation = vlan. So you're not refuting what I'm saying, you're just expanding upon it. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Yeah I realized that after I re-read it. "Guest Networks" are just an idiot-proof wizard for setting up a VLAN. :)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
my netgears always offer that option in black n white, "broadcast ssid" or "dont" look around the web user interface, im sure a nice router like that has the feature in its vanilla form.

or you could try renaming your newtworks to "not wireless internet" ;)

my netgears always offer that option in black n white, "broadcast ssid" or "dont" look around the web user interface, im sure a nice router like that has the feature in its vanilla form.

or you could try renaming your newtworks to "not wireless internet" ;)

SMH. Read the thread please, his question has nothing to do with hiding the SSID.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Read the thread please,

FYI. I read the OP, and the title. from what i read it seemed like he was trying to turn off the SSID broadcast of a channel on His/Her router. If i am wrong, , well then im wrong, but i read before i post, thanks.

**edit** also, what does "SMH" mean?

This is what i thought was being asked. so it is what i commented on.

FYI. I read the OP, and the title. from what i read it seemed like he was trying to turn off the SSID broadcast of a channel on His/Her router. If i am wrong, , well then im wrong, but i read before i post, thanks.

Soooo ok, you read the thread title and the OP, but no further??

What I need to do is block on the SSIDs from been able to discover other computers on the network.

I've seen this feature in Ubiquiti routers where you can do this so you can have guests connect to it and not see any other computer or device on the network (especially in cases where you might have a domain controller or server with sensitive data).

Maybe I read at a higher level, but there's nothing in the OP that implies he wants to hide the SSID. It's pretty clear that he wants to do a guest SSID.

Notice I told you to "Read the thread"... Had you done so, you'd have seen @flmatter already suggested how to hide the SSID, to which the OP responded:

So yeah. In the future, read the thread. And FYI, SMH means "shaking my head". It's like a facepalm, but faster to type.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
wow, I cant say weather You read at higher level than me, Clearly Your an EXTREMELY intelligent human, and I am REALLY sorry that i took Any of your time with my idiotic mistaken input. In the future i will be certain to make no similar mistakes in your presence, again i apologize for my error, and please accept my DEEPEST condolences for any difficulty this may have caused You.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
wow, I cant say weather You read at higher level than me, Clearly Your an EXTREMELY intelligent human, and I am REALLY sorry that i took Any of your time with my idiotic mistaken input. In the future i will be certain to make no similar mistakes in your presence, again i apologize for my error, and please accept my DEEPEST condolences for any difficulty this may have caused You.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what he was saying.
It's spelled out pretty well. Now I don't agree with talking down to people but I do agree that you should have read the thread.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
as ive stated, and i appreciate your input @Aquinus i Thought i understood the question, i read the OP, and the title, and simply made a basic mistake...Im certainly not perfect, and it shows, but If we all had a dollar for each time we were wrong, we'd ALL be millionaires, i have a great post/thanks ratio because i tend to read into a thread,this time however i assumed I knew what was being asked , and this time i was wrong. I was getting my 3 kids ready for school @ the time, and was busy...mistakes happen, the reason isnt important, I just take exception to a person insinuating i am of lower intelligence, or lack theyre ability to read when said mistakes happen, but a person like that will find out on theyre own from others in time. im done with this matter, and i apologise to the OP for hijacking your thread with all of these responses to a rude comment, and for my mistaken input as well.

I hope you get the issue resolved if you haven't already,

System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Trying to create a guest network by using AP isolation on the main network will cause nothing but problems because it's all-or-nothing.. And IME some data does still leak through. Better to just set up a Guest VLAN (which enables isolation on that SSID anyway) and be done with it.

System Name HTPC
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Mouse Logitech G900
Trying to create a guest network by using AP isolation on the main network will cause nothing but problems because it's all-or-nothing.. And IME some data does still leak through. Better to just set up a Guest VLAN (which enables isolation on that SSID anyway) and be done with it.

I just pointed what he was looking for :D

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
AP isolation on the guest ssid or use vlans and block the vlans with firewalls. Don't make it more complicated than it should be

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
wireless isolation is what he's looking for guys. makes it so anyone on that network only has internet access, no local access.

Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Logitech G19 v1
wireless isolation is what he's looking for guys. makes it so anyone on that network only has internet access, no local access.

A million thanks!

Not going to lie, was about to use the guest SSID feature, but this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

No it's not, unless you don't want ANY wireless clients - even your own - to be able to see the LAN or each other. The Guest SSID is "exactly what you're looking for".

System Name HTPC
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Mouse Logitech G900
No it's not, unless you don't want ANY wireless clients - even your own - to be able to see the LAN or each other. The Guest SSID is "exactly what you're looking for".

Let him test each setting and experiment dont try to enforce your opinion on someone, it will make you mad about something trivial.