• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Russia's new supersonic bomber can outrun Britain's best fighter jet

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I frankly don't see why it is much of an effort to re-fresh it.

NASA needs it for space equipment. It is a big shortage of nuclear elements used for atomic batteries and nuclear space equipment heaters.

System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Only way to make a response to Tu-160M is:
1. recommission SR-71 with a D-21 converted to nuclear missile (you really can't beat that!)
2. decide to make SR-72

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
ok i didn't followed the thread but thanks @Ferrum Master

so i could find a post that say "new supersonic bomber" in 2015, while it's a plane design from 19 december 1981 (ohhhhh only 7 days younger than me ) produced in 1984-1992, 2000, 2008, officially introduced in 2008, altho initial operation capability was 1987...
hardly a new bomber and not really hard to outrun Britain's best jet fitghter, tho ...

the Tu-160M "Beliy Lebed" (white Swan official denomination, and not idiotic NATO code-name like they did with the "Akula" naming it "Typhoon" and giving the real "Akula" class name to the "Shchuka" class) will not "outrun" a Typhoon, same speed ok ... sustained speed? probably not, action range? not really an issue, technically speaking.

altho i am more worried about the playload of the world's largest supersonic variable swept wing combat aircraft (all the 3 title it holds )

actually the T-160 was an answer to the Rockwell B1 (around 1972)

one T-160 has been intercepted by a British Panavia Tornado in 2005 (ofc not a combat situation, just a ... "oh hello ... you shouldn't be there" )

ps: NATO really have an issue on Russian denomination ... namming the 9M119 Svir and 9M119M Refleks by the AT-11 Sniper ... just as they did with the AT-14 Spriggan which was the 9M133 Kornet, there must be some logic behind all these but still i find that ridiculous and it has already led to quite a bunch of confusion, like with the Kh 90 Gela/ 3M25A Meteorite A/Kh 80 Grom denominated AS-X-21 by NATO and also AS-X-19 Koala, altho both Gela and Meteorit A are shown as "canceled" by Russia and are from 1981 also

Only way to make a response to Tu-160M is:
1. recommission SR-71 with a D-21 converted to nuclear missile (you really can't beat that!)
2. decide to make SR-72
nope ... as much as i love the SR-71 (who does Mach 3), mach 2 is mach 2 and a lot of interceptor and missile can reach that speed (even the obsolete Bloodhound could shot down a T-160M ) no need for a mach 3 interceptor or missile to reach a T-160m (altho russia has also some Mach 3 interceptor ... i.e: the MiG-25P NATO codename : Foxbat for once it's almost logical ... and the MiG-31 NATO codename: Foxhound altho that one is "only" Mach 2.83 capable )

and for 1... albeit funny ... it would totally be impractical and yep you can beat that
assuming you were joking obviously

bottom line, the title or the 1st line of the initial post under the picture should be: 2015 Puttin finally unleashed a bomber that was waiting since 1987

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
NATO really have an issue on Russian denomination ...

yes it has... best example with SU-27 clones with different modifications... there is a mess in the naming for them...

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
But not Britians missles. ;)
And consider, we even have Mach 4 plus hand held systems with a range of 7km+ so as long as the enemy is in sight we are in with a chance!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Please do not forget we also have the ultimate point defense system
Politicians with megaphones

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
bottom line, the title or the 1st line of the initial post under the picture should be: 2015 Puttin finally unleashed a bomber that was waiting since 1987

What do you mean finally they have been in existence since the 1980s. Flying

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
True enough Ford, but i wonder while we do have that massive military as part of the economy it didnt HAVE To be that big a part.

However, it must be pointed out that military spending when it was at it's highest during the Cold War, was a much, much smaller percentage of the budget than what the USSR spent. It's even smaller now.

As to the OP: The point was made earlier in here about SAM's being fast enough to fly faster than the Russian bomber, but I missed it if someone brought AAM's up. The Fighter jet does not need to be faster than the bomber. It merely needs to fly on an intercept course, acquire it on radar, and launch radar-guided AAM (Air to Air Missile) at it. AAM's fly much faster than Mach 2. So the whole point of speed being matched is really moot.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
However, it must be pointed out that military spending when it was at it's highest during the Cold War, was a much, much smaller percentage of the budget than what the USSR spent. It's even smaller now.

You cannot compare soviet economy numbers with US... money during soviet times was kind of artificial also the cost of resources...

Tritium is a hazard only if taken inside body (say, by drinking it for some hard to imagine reason) and I frankly don't see why it is much of an effort to re-fresh it.

Anyhow, number of strategic warheads have also been reduced a lot by START I and START II treaties (from 10k to about 3-4k total, most of them are placed on ICBMs, about 800 are for strategic bombers) and Russia, by no means a rich country but not poor either could certainly afford to continue to routinely re-fresh its strategic thermonuclear arsenal.

ICBMs, however, are really expensive to produce (most need their fuel refreshed from time to time, by the way, but that's nothing compared to replacing entire missile). Russia could not afford to keep them up in good shape, as far as I know. "Bulava" program that was supposed to produce universal "can be launched from anywhere" missile (NATO calls it SS-NX-30), seeking to re-fresh outdated submarine arsenal; But there was a streakof problems, 49 were produced so far, 24 used for tests, out of 24 test launches only 15 were successful. and that despite rather modest specs, at least on paper, Chinese JL-2 looks much more impressive.

I can't tell if you just don't get it, or you're trolling.

Tritium is a Proton with two Neutrons. It's an isotope of hydrogen. The dangerous part, inside a nuclear device, isn't the tritium. The dangerous part is the Plutonium which is constantly undergoing gamma decay. To suggest that it's safe or easy to replace the tritium, because you could drink it, it just stupid. Getting to the Tritium requires cutting through the protective casing, then the shielding, and all the while worrying about radiation exposure and insanely delicate equipment. Tritium can happily be stored as a gas, and is much easier to deal with when those big pesky oxygen atoms can't act as a damper to decay.

You are obviously trying to equate this to heavy water, one or two tritium or deuterium atoms bonded to an oxygen atom. Yes, you're more than safe to drink that. The results aren't exactly scientific, but estimates place the average human being able to consume multiple kilograms of heavy water without issues, because our body doesn't store water. This is why other nuclear materials are devastating in small quantities (if memory serves, strontium replaces calcium in bones). Likewise, some decay can be blocked relatively easily. For instance, the alpha decay of depleted uranium can effectively be blocked by a layer of paper. This is why your average tank operator isn't in a hazmat suit, despite being surrounded by a radioactive material.

As far as fission, you need to be aware of the idea of critical mass. Basically, you've got to capture the energy from a decaying particle, and use it to decay another particle. With extremely heavy particles you'll either need to artificially induce this by kinetic compression, or have a material that decays rapidly and has a lot of daughter particles after decay. In the case of a nuke, you want your radioactive elements as far away from a critical mass as possible (for storage), so they don't go off unexpectedly. Hence, you need some initial source of energy and particles to allow you to reach a critical mass. Tritium is this primer. The hydrogen atom has a very small half-life, and given its small mass it's easy to get going. I used the thermite example earlier because it's the same idea. Getting an energy source to start the process is difficult, so people use phosphorous or magnesium to start it. Both of those materials are relatively easy to start oxidizing (read: fire), which releases enough energy to start the thermolytic reaction.

Replacing the tritium is necessary to have an active nuke. If you don't, and the reaction doesn't reach critical mass, instead of a nuclear explosion you've got a dirty bomb. Sadly enough, the powderized and ejected nuclear material might be just as deadly, long term, as the nuclear blast. The problem is that dying from cancers and radiation poisoning is...there are no words. The best I can offer is inhumanly monsterous.

I will broach the subject of ICBM maintenance. It's costly, but it's money that we are obliged to spend because our military budget, in the US, is largely controlled by politicians. Politicians take tax money, and divide it up so as to best benefit their constituents. How does all of that relate to ICBMs? It's simple; maintaining them, without ever firing one off, is a source of cash.

Rocket fuel is neither cheap, nor readily accessible. Both of these factors make it a gold mine in the private sector. Businesses, like heat treaters, can use the fuel near end of life. Machine shops are paid to provide replacement components, which creates jobs. Facilities staffing, as well as logistics for the ICBM site, mean even more jobs. In all honesty, if every ICBM disintegrated tomorrow it'd devastate local economies.

You've talked about a mobile missile platform, but that's largely a joke without a punchline. When it comes to a mobile platform you don't want a nuclear device. You've got to find a way to store it safely, which means shielding. Shielding means immense weight. Immense weight means that your mobile nuclear weapon is a giant target. This doesn't even begin to touch on the political ramifications of having a mobile war crime. If you'd searched anything but wikipedia (I say that because you use their exact wording about the testing), you'd understand that these mobile weapons platforms aren't frightening because of their relatively low yield nukes. The reason these mobile platforms are frightening is their ability to launch an attack with functionally zero warning. If an ICBM was launched the intended target would know about it well in advance of arrival. They might now be able to do anything about it, but you can always respond to an ICBM with your own. A missile, launched without any acknowledgement, from a platform that could not be found afterwards, is a political nightmare. You have to find whom to blame, you have to formulate a response, and you have to keep your people calm despite having no information. A nuke is frightening, but a sneak attack from an unknown assailant only using conventional weapons is infinitely worse.

There is also the other problem. There are relatively few people who have the technology to make fissile material, and fewer who have developed weapons with it. If you were to use a nuclear weapon the ramifications would be dire. Let's play devil's advocate here, and say England was peeved with the US because of our foreign policy...issues. They attacked the Virgin Islands, to send us a message. Within hours we'd be able to trace the technology back to its source. Suddenly, it's not England versus the US. Everybody else on the planet has seen a nuclear attack, and despite the US largely being a-holes (politically), we're the victims to the international community. You've suddenly got sympathy for the devil, because an even bigger devil gave them a black eye. I've used the US and England because the idea is preposterous, but change the players. The US and China are in the same boat. Russia and China have a falling out over resources. The possibility is always there, which is basically why the concept of MAD still propagates today. This is why mobile platforms don't harbor nukes as a primary weapon, and going back to the OP why this bomber is a joke. Nobody in their right mind uses nuclear devices, because even winning the conflict would cost you the war. Hence, the bombers and ICBMs are devices that should never be proven effective. That's the joke without a punchline; the best weapon is the one you never use.

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
ok i didn't followed the thread but thanks @Ferrum Master

so i could find a post that say "new supersonic bomber" in 2015, while it's a plane design from 19 december 1981 (ohhhhh only 7 days younger than me ) produced in 1984-1992, 2000, 2008, officially introduced in 2008, altho initial operation capability was 1987...
hardly a new bomber and not really hard to outrun Britain's best jet fitghter, tho ...

the Tu-160M "Beliy Lebed" (white Swan official denomination, and not idiotic NATO code-name like they did with the "Akula" naming it "Typhoon" and giving the real "Akula" class name to the "Shchuka" class) will not "outrun" a Typhoon, same speed ok ... sustained speed? probably not, action range? not really an issue, technically speaking.

altho i am more worried about the playload of the world's largest supersonic variable swept wing combat aircraft (all the 3 title it holds )

actually the T-160 was an answer to the Rockwell B1 (around 1972)

one T-160 has been intercepted by a British Panavia Tornado in 2005 (ofc not a combat situation, just a ... "oh hello ... you shouldn't be there" )

ps: NATO really have an issue on Russian denomination ... namming the 9M119 Svir and 9M119M Refleks by the AT-11 Sniper ... just as they did with the AT-14 Spriggan which was the 9M133 Kornet, there must be some logic behind all these but still i find that ridiculous and it has already led to quite a bunch of confusion, like with the Kh 90 Gela/ 3M25A Meteorite A/Kh 80 Grom denominated AS-X-21 by NATO and also AS-X-19 Koala, altho both Gela and Meteorit A are shown as "canceled" by Russia and are from 1981 also

nope ... as much as i love the SR-71 mach 2 is mach 2 and a lot of interceptor and missile can reach that speed (even the obsolete Bloodhound could shot down a T-160M ) no need for a mach 3 interceptor or missile to reach a T-160m (altho russia has also some Mach 3 interceptor ... i.e: the MiG-25P NATO codename : Foxbat for once it's almost logical ... and the MiG-31 NATO codename: Foxhound altho that one is "only" Mach 2.83 capable )

and for 1... albeit funny ... it would totally be impractical and yep you can beat that
assuming you were joking obviously

Mate, SR-71 can do Mach 3 at 80,000ft.

dorsetknob

From Wilkishitpedia

English Electric Lightning

In 1984, during a NATO exercise, Flt Lt Mike Hale intercepted a U-2 at a height which they had previously considered safe (thought to be 66,000 feet (20,000 m)). Records show that Hale also climbed to 88,000 ft (27,000 m) in his Lightning F.3 XR749.
and
Lightning pilot and Chief Examiner Brian Carroll reported taking a Lightning F.53 up to 87,300 feet (26,600 m) over Saudi Arabia at which level "Earth curvature was visible and the sky was quite dark",

During British Airways trials in April 1985, Concorde was offered as a target to NATO fighters including F-15 Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons, F-14 Tomcats, Mirages, and F-104 Starfighters - but only Lightning XR749, flown by Mike Hale and described by him as "a very hot ship, even for a Lightning", managed to overtake Concorde on a stern conversion intercept
equipped with latest Air to Air missiles That bitch was a match for Anything the Bear with the sickle HAD that strayed outside its own airspace !!!!!!

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
What do you mean finally they have been in existence since the 1980s. Flying
the initial production is 19 december 1981, initial operational capability (IOC) was 1987 so i exactly mean what i wrote :)

Mate, SR-71 can do Mach 3 at 80,000ft.
yes and? (aka re read)... my "mach 2 is mach2" was related to the Tu-160M who can fly at that speed ... not the the SR-71 i am a war machine maniac (tracked, fix winged, rotational winged whatever that has a military use ) and the SR-71 is my favorite plane since i was little (i had fun when the movie D.A.R.Y.L featured one ) also i had planes identification and spec card since 1988 and i remember also that one of my fav card was the one from the Tu-160 "Beliy Lebed" ;)

Last edited:

dorsetknob

You cannot compare soviet economy numbers with US... money during soviet times was kind of artificial also the cost of resources...

Of course you can
In Simple Economics's EVEN YOU CAN UNDERSTAND
The Nato Alliance Spent Real Money ( ring fenced and Available ) on both Research and deployment of Military Hardware
while the Opposition (Soviet Russia and its Allies ) the Communists had to divert Money much needed in their General Economy to try and match Allied Spending
Economics destroyed the soviet union and will ruin Russia
Russia cannot outspent the economic might of NATO

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Of course you can
In Simple Economics's EVEN YOU CAN UNDERSTAND

Have you lived a bit in the USSR? Knew how it really was? Unfortunately I remember it still.

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
the initial production is 19 december 1981, initial operational capability (IOC) was 1987 so i exactly mean what i wrote :)

yes and? (aka re read)... my "mach 2 is mach2" was related to the Tu-160M who fly at that speed ... not the the SR-71 i am a war machine maniac (tracked, fix winged, rotational winged whatever that has a military use ) and the SR-71 is my favorite plane since i was little (i had fun when the movie D.A.R.Y.L featured one ) also i had planes identification and spec card since 1988 and i remember also that one of my fav card was the one from the Tu-160 "Beliy Lebed" ;)

nope ... as much as i love the SR-71 mach 2 is mach 2 and a lot of interceptor and missile can reach that speed

This reads like you're saying as much as I love the SR-71 mach 2 is mach 2 and an interceptor will still get it. To me that translates to the SR-71 does mach 2 and a missile will get it. Just worded oddly is all.

I should note the SR-71 is one of my favorite planes too. We talk about it and the F-22 all the time at work.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

People here seem to be misinformed about the Tu whateveritis
IT DOES NOT FLY AT Mach 2
That's the Quoted max Speed on AFTERBURNER which Really Sucks the go go Juice and Reduces RANGE

here are the Specs as quoted by crapapidea
Performance
  • Maximum speed: Mach 2.05 (2,220 km/h, 1,200 knots, 1,380 mph) at 12,200 m (40,000 ft)
  • Cruise speed: Mach 0.9 (960 km/h, 518 knots, 596 mph)
  • Range: 12,300 km (7,643 mi) practical range without in-flight refuelling, Mach 0.77 and carrying 6 × Kh-55SM dropped at mid range and 5% fuel reserves[68]
  • Combat radius: 7,300 km[69] (3,994 nmi, 4,536 mi,) 2,000 km (1,080 nmi, 1,240 mi) at Mach 1.5[29]
  • Service ceiling: 15,006 m (49,235 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 70 m/s (13,860 ft/min)

VR HMD Medion Erazer
This reads like you're saying as much as I love the SR-71 mach 2 is mach 2 and an interceptor will still get it. To me that translates to the SR-71 does mach 2 and a missile will get it. Just worded oddly is all.

I should note the SR-71 is one of my favorite planes too. We talk about it and the F-22 all the time at work.
corrected... added a "," and a parenthesis, well, in my defense, i am not a native English speaker/writer and most of my English is self learned :oops:

People here seem to be misinformed about the Tu whateveritis
IT DOES NOT FLY AT Mach 2
That's the Quoted max Speed on AFTERBURNER which Really Sucks the go go Juice and Reduces RANGE

here are the Specs as quoted by crapapidea
Performance
  • Maximum speed: Mach 2.05 (2,220 km/h, 1,200 knots, 1,380 mph) at 12,200 m (40,000 ft)
  • Cruise speed: Mach 0.9 (960 km/h, 518 knots, 596 mph)
  • Range: 12,300 km (7,643 mi) practical range without in-flight refuelling, Mach 0.77 and carrying 6 × Kh-55SM dropped at mid range and 5% fuel reserves[68]
  • Combat radius: 7,300 km[69] (3,994 nmi, 4,536 mi,) 2,000 km (1,080 nmi, 1,240 mi) at Mach 1.5[29]
  • Service ceiling: 15,006 m (49,235 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 70 m/s (13,860 ft/min)
aye totally correct, altho it can still reach Mach 2.05 if needed.

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
corrected... added a "," and a parenthesis, well, in my defense, i am not a native English speaker/writer and most of my English is self learned :oops:

aye totally correct, altho it can still reach Mach 2.05 if needed.
You're good, no harm done. I was just like whaaaa :confused: :toast:

Of course where I work we make the fail plane, so we have to talk about the good planes to wash off the bad.