• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do The Stability Of Clock-Speed Of Cores In A CPU Depend On CPU Temperature

Do The Stability Of Clock-Speed Of Cores In A CPU Depend On CPU Temperature

• YES

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • NO

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Kai Vegeta

If the answer is yes, please can you clarify me that do CPUs have specific point beyond which if we OC the CPU the clock-speed of cores will loose stability even if temperature is in control??

If the answer is no, then what should we do to get stability while achieving higher clock speeds??

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
As the temperature of a CPU (or anything with transistors for that matter) heats up, it's ability to work at high speed is impaired. It's not an on-off process, but a gradual one, which is why CPUs are rated at certain clock speeds and certain max temperatures, which also take into account preventing damage to it.

Hence, a hard overclock combined with increased voltage and high temperatures will shorten the life of the CPU significantly.

Kai Vegeta

As the temperature of a CPU (or anything with transistors for that matter) heats up, it's ability to work at high speed is impaired. It's not an on-off process, but a gradual one, which is why CPUs are rated at certain clock speeds and certain max temperatures, which also take into account preventing damage to it.

Hence, a hard overclock combined with increased voltage and high temperatures will shorten the life of the CPU significantly.
That means we can oc a CPU as much as we can until the temperature remains in control which is 60-75C and get stable results for all cores

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
If the answer is yes, please can you clarify me that do CPUs have specific point beyond which if we OC the CPU the clock-speed of cores will loose stability even if temperature is in control??

If the answer is no, then what should we do to get stability while achieving higher clock speeds??
Yes, while many chips will have a similar range even if temps hit very low or high (Before hitting a throttle point) too high of temps can cause instability. For instance, Maxwell (Yes a GPU but the same principle for this instance) architecture cards from Nvidia can achieve beyond the usual range of up to 1500ish MHz with extremely low temps (Not as much cramming voltage). Same can be said for CPU's but most of the time as long as you keep temps in a certain range your going to get roughly the same overclocks even if you get the chip lower in temps because voltage requirement become ridiculous after a certain point.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Just because the temperature is stable doesn't mean the CPU will overclock much. Also, the temps can be kept down with powerful cooling when lots of voltage is applied. However, the excess voltage will still damage the CPU over time. The original scenario I painted is one of the worst that can happen, but there are lots of inbetween ones.

Rule of thumb is to see how high it will clock with moderate voltage increases and good temps.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
temperature is only one of many factors that limit a CPU's OC'ability

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
an intel cpu will run at 100 C it will simply downclock to stop it going any higher.. the temps and stability are not directly related..

the chip can be super cool and still unstable or "hot" and still stable.. everything else being equal the chip wont be any more stable at 60 C than it is at 80 C..

trog

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I have seen stable chips become unstable when prime95'ing though as soon as they break 90C, so there is some effect from temp.

Kai Vegeta

Yes, while many chips will have a similar range even if temps hit very low or high (Before hitting a throttle point) too high of temps can cause instability. For instance, Maxwell (Yes a GPU but the same principle for this instance) architecture cards from Nvidia can achieve beyond the usual range of up to 1500ish MHz with extremely low temps (Not as much cramming voltage). Same can be said for CPU's but most of the time as long as you keep temps in a certain range your going to get roughly the same overclocks even if you get the chip lower in temps because voltage requirement become ridiculous after a certain point.
So if I throw in a very heavy water cooling loop I can overclock until it reaches normal temperature. Is EK good.
Just because the temperature is stable doesn't mean the CPU will overclock much. Also, the temps can be kept down with powerful cooling when lots of voltage is applied. However, the excess voltage will still damage the CPU over time. The original scenario I painted is one of the worst that can happen, but there are lots of inbetween ones.

Rule of thumb is to see how high it will clock with moderate voltage increases and good temps.
As you said life will decrease question is how much I only used two Inlet chips one is Pentium 4 which I used for 12years(2000-2012) after which I sold it but chip was still running without problem and other is i3 which I am still using from 6years(2010-still in use). If Intel is providing same quality their chip should do 10year in ease(normal condition) and if we do OC how much will its life drop please can you give me a near estimate because even if it gives me half life which is of five years it will be good as I will upgrade my PC after 5years.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to give lifetime figures like that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'm sorry, but it's not possible to give lifetime figures like that.

Indeed it varies wildly with node, process, ASIC quality, all sorts of crap

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

Kai Vegeta

In solid state electronics, there's a phenomenon known as thermal runaway current.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway

...The behavior of virtually all transistors is affected by temperature.
Got it Sasqui and I am providing 16 intake fans specifically for air intake if I build the rig I was talking about in my other thread
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/will-this-build-be-good-for-5-years.220971/

And the intake air will be nearly 15C as I am setting it up in central air conditioned room so it will always have cool air flowing in all corners of the room so it should solve the problem.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
This is especially true with AMD chips, they love lower temps. Keep them under low temps and they happily overclock!
keep in mind that overclocking requires bump in voltage which means more heat, so this fact is true only when you use more voltage. if you are trying to use stock voltage it will usually make little difference.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
In solid state electronics, there's a phenomenon known as thermal runaway current.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway

...The behavior of virtually all transistors is affected by temperature.
Your thinking about the wrong physical property. Read that link you posted yourself:
Wikipedia said:
The leakage current of logic switching transistors increases with temperature. In rare instances, this may lead to thermal runaway in digital circuits. This is not a common problem, since leakage currents usually make up a small portion of overall power consumption, so the increase in power is fairly modest — for an Athlon 64, the power dissipation increases by about 10% for every 30 degrees Celsius.[9] For a device with a TDP of 100 W, for thermal runaway to occur, the heat sink would have to have a thermal resistivity of over 3 K/W (kelvins per watt), which is about 6 times worse than a stock Athlon 64 heat sink. (A stock Athlon 64 heat sink is rated at 0.34 K/W, although the actual thermal resistance to the environment is somewhat higher, due to the thermal boundary between processor and heatsink, rising temperatures in the case, and other thermal resistances.[citation needed].) Regardless, an inadequate heat sink with a thermal resistance of over 0.5 to 1 K/W would result in the destruction of a 100 W device even without thermal runaway effects.

When temperature increases, electron mobility (how quickly current can flow though a medium,) and threshold voltage (when the transistor activates,) gets worse. Improved electron mobility means improved conductivity and improved threshold voltage means that the transistor voltage required to switch the transistor on drops but only is noticeable between two temperatures when the ΔT is relatively large. The benefit of the latter is that since any transistor takes time to switch between an on and off state, starting the transition earlier which leaves more time for the transistor to transition to whatever state it's going to. Pair this with a "more conductive" circuit and you have higher stable switching frequencies. However, if threshold voltage gets too low, the transistor will cold bug iirc.

So the question isn't if you'll overclock better between 60 and 70*C but rather what kind of clocks would be stable at 10*C compared to 60*C. If the OP really wants to get better overclocking, that means a bigger
ΔT between the CPU and the medium that keeps it cool. In order to seriously improve overclocking by taking advantage of physical properties and thermodynamics, you would need to have to work phase-change somewhere into the equation to pump heat out of the cooling system if this is to be a long term thing, which means nothing like DICE or LN2.

I apologize if I did a terrible job of explaining that, I've yet to have my coffee.

I'll leave this here though:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content...407478-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1268751-p174130080

tl;dr: Yes but, you probably will only be able to get higher clocks due to temperature by adding phase change to the equation.

Last edited:

Kai Vegeta

Your thinking about the wrong physical property. Read that link you posted yourself:

When temperature increases, electron mobility (how quickly current can flow though a medium,) and threshold voltage (when the transistor activates,) gets worse. Improved electron mobility means improved conductivity and improved threshold voltage means that the transistor voltage required to switch the transistor on drops but only is noticeable between two temperatures when the ΔT is relatively large. The benefit of the latter is that since any transistor takes time to switch between an on and off state, starting the transition earlier which leaves more time for the transistor to transition to whatever state it's going to. Pair this with a "more conductive" circuit and you have higher stable switching frequencies. However, if threshold voltage gets too low, the transistor will cold bug iirc.

So the question isn't if you'll overclock better between 60 and 70*C but rather what kind of clocks would be stable at 10*C compared to 60*C. If the OP really wants to get better overclocking, that means a bigger
ΔT between the CPU and the medium that keeps it cool. In order to seriously improve overclocking by taking advantage of physical properties and thermodynamics, you would need to have to work phase-change somewhere into the equation to pump heat out of the cooling system if this is to be a long term thing, which means nothing like DICE or LN2.

I apologize if I did a terrible job of explaining that, I've yet to have my coffee.

I'll leave this here though:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content...407478-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1268751-p174130080

tl;dr: Yes but, you probably will only be able to get higher clocks due to temperature by adding phase change to the equation.
Thank you very much for spending your time on this. :)

I will be using 12 rads 4 x 4fan 140mm only for CPU and 8 which will be divided as 2 x 2fan 140mm for each GPU and will be doing 4-way SLI. All the rads will have push-pull configuration. And will we setting up 16 fans for good air intake which will be cold nearly at 15C. I will also be providing separate reservoir-pump for CPU and GPU. So with configuration can I do high overclocking.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1

I will be using 12 rads 4 x 4fan 140mm only for CPU and 8 which will be divided as 2 x 2fan 140mm for each GPU and will be doing 4-way SLI. All the rads will have push-pull configuration. And will we setting up 16 fans for good air intake which will be cold nearly at 15C. I will also be providing separate reservoir-pump for CPU and GPU. So with configuration can I do high overclocking.

The GPU setup makes sense however, instead of going from the last GPU to the pump/res then to the rad, to have a rad after the last GPU then pump directly into the first GPU instead.

The CPU loop makes very little sense. Having 4 rads in series won't help you very much because each stage becomes increasingly less efficient because you're trying to cool already cooled water. The amount of heat that flows out of the system depends on the difference in temperatures (ΔT.) After each radiator the temperature of the liquid in relation to the ambient temperature get smaller so each rad becomes less useful because that difference in temperature is what moves the heat. Also, having the res/pump right after the CPU probably is unwise, you'll be subjecting the pump to more heat than it would be otherwise if it were at the end of the loop (CPU before rads, prior to ending the res.)

Lastly, I would probably opt for a single loop. The GPUs are going to need more cooling capacity than the CPU will, so it makes more sense to allow them to share that cooling capacity.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
the basic idea of simply adding more rads and fans isnt a valid one.. the weak spot will be getting the heat from the chip into the block.. most of the rads and fans you are dreaming up will be doing pretty much bugger all..

dare i ask exactly what your objective is.. ??

trog

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro

For the CPU loop i would get one or two BIG radiators (Watercool MO-RA3 or the Aqua computer airplex GIGANT) and only one 460 rad per GPU. What kind of pumps are you planing?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
the basic idea of simply adding more rads and fans isnt a valid one.. the weak spot will be getting the heat from the chip into the block.. most of the rads and fans you are dreaming up will be doing pretty much bugger all..

dare i ask exactly what your objective is.. ??

trog
That's where a higher ΔT between the the heat carrier (liquid and block,) and the heat producer (the CPU,) comes into play. Conduction of heat can never exceed the difference in temperature between the source and the "sink".

@Kai Vegeta: You can never cool something below ambient temperature because heat conduction requires a temperature differential. With that many radiators, you could have a phase change system when an evaporator before the CPU in the liquid loop and a condenser after the first radiator. This has the benefit of cooling the liquid going into the CPU potentially below ambient temperature while using the subsequent radiators to disperse the re-heated air from the phase change loop. Of course, depending on the strength of such a system, you may need to make some form of anti-freeze for your loop and you'll want to cover up anywhere susceptible to condensation or frost but, only a solution like that could possibly offer a long term solution to higher overclocks because it's going to take a lot more than above ambient temperatures to make a serious dent in your overclocking ceiling. You'll need 10*C or lower under load (in my opinion,) for it to truly make a difference. Also keep in mind that this makes your computer depend on a phase change system in order to keep it cold enough to operate properly so, it's a really a lot of work for what I would consider minimal gain.

I don't intend to be mean when I say this but, your idea feels like it's coming from someone with more money than brains. You can't simply throw more of something (like radiators,) at a problem and expect it to be better. You need to simplify to make it more feasible and realistic. While you can do what you're suggesting, it won't get you much further and is simply a waste when there are better ways to spend that money on hardware.

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
an intel cpu will run at 100 C it will simply downclock to stop it going any higher.. the temps and stability are not directly related..

the chip can be super cool and still unstable or "hot" and still stable.. everything else being equal the chip wont be any more stable at 60 C than it is at 80 C..

trog

I have seen stable chips become unstable when prime95'ing though as soon as they break 90C, so there is some effect from temp.

In an inverview with TomsHardware [US] Intel engineers responsible for Devils Canyon development stated, that for these chips anything above 80°C will have a noticable negative effect on the ability to overclock (further).

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
In an inverview with TomsHardware [US] Intel engineers responsible for Devils Canyon development stated, that for these chips anything above 80°C will have a noticable negative effect on the ability to overclock (further).

i think they are saying in a roundabout way that once you hit 85 C its time to stop or think about better cooling.. having said that its quite easy to push a devils canyon chip up to its throttle point of 100 C by running things like prime95..

with a stock cooler even at stock speeds prime95 will take the 4790K temps up to 100 C or very close..

intels own diagnostic software records a pass at 99 C.. one degree below TJ max.. so does real temp..

trog