• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Demos Breakthrough Performance of the ZEN CPU Core

cadaveca

My name is Dave
1. How much can that 3.0 Ghz chip be overclock(and how easily)
2. Price point match up, do they take this and kick intel in the balls by pricing a 1100 Intel chip at 300 US.

1. I think that if they could do more than that 3 GHz reliably, they would have. That is, if they are smart. I think you could realistically predict that in order to do what they have seem to have done, the CPU pipeline is going to be relatively short, cache will get hit often, and run hot, kind of like Intels CPUs. That means it's all up to the process, and not AMD. :p

2. Based on recent behavior for pricing at AMD, they'll likely go somewhere directly between that. They simply have to be able to meet demand, and that's not going to be easy for them if its good and if they price it too low. If they can match Intel performance and clocks, they are best to simply slightly undercut intel across the board. That might not be the best for enthusiasts, but its best for AMD for sure.

Maybe?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
This is just a starting chip for them, who knows what's coming after, and this is a hell of alot better than the Bulldozer/Thuban era. Competition benefits everyone by making prices come down. The only people not rooting for AMD are people with more money than sense.

I agree with the point about AMD needing to have a winner to save us all from the slow escalation of pricing by Intel and nVidia. We're frogs and they're ramping up the heat...er...cost slowly. Remember when Gx104 products were the high mainstream at $300-450? Gx106 were the low end at $150-200? Remember when Intel felt a need to release products with more cores instead of just the same repeat of core count and clock speed with minor architectural improvements at ever increasing cost? Add $15-25 for each generation at the 6600k/6700K class CPU levels to predict next year's MSRP. That's with them pushing generations to three CPU's for each fab change now (ie., 4770k, then 4790k).

We absolutely need AMD to step up and stop dragging down the GPU division with constant failures that leak into all areas of the company's budget.

That said and having prefaced myself, I also think it bears repeating:

It is not "a hell of alot (sic) better than the Bulldozer/Thuban era." It is not. They did this exact same style of promises using limited benchmarks and canned game demos along with a protracted series of delays and screeching to the public about how THIS will be the one. THIS IS THE ONE, they told us, with Phenom AND Bulldozer. THIS WILL BE THE ONE THAT BRINGS US BACK!

It's exactly the same as last time. It's absolutely no different. Not better, not worse. It's the same. That's why it's worrisome. Those of us old enough to remember have seen AMD do this song and dance twice over already.

And they have failed to save us from the tyranny of Intel every time they've done it. At this point, I'm not even wholly blaming them if it fails to impact because GloFo is a lead weight that could drag any company's best efforts into bankruptcy and they seem to have no option except to keep using them no matter how badly they botch fabrication time and again...

The day they sold their corporate soul to GloFo was the day they seem to have sealed their fate.

And ours.

Who knows how well Zen will do.

All I know Zen was designed by Jim Keller who designed the K8 x86-64 the Athlon 64 .. so maybe there is some hope.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Who knows how well Zen will do.

All I know Zen was designed by Jim Keller who designed the K8 x86-64 the Athlon 64 .. so maybe there is some hope.
As long as it wasn't Helen Keller :laugh:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Just doing a little cleanup, don't get upset if I delete your post because of a quote that's now deleted.... thank you.

1. I think that if they could do more than that 3 GHz reliably, they would have. That is, if they are smart. I think you could realistically predict that in order to do what they have seem to have done, the CPU pipeline is going to be relatively short, cache will get hit often, and run hot, kind of like Intels CPUs. That means it's all up to the process, and not AMD. :p

It makes no sense, on a public demonstration to use a overclocked processor, which perhaps marginally makes it to 3.4 / 3.6 / 3.8GHz and later sell models that reach 3GHz for a base clockspeed.

You create a chip that balances in performance, power usage and efficiency, not max OC. The OC is just a gimmick which we might find important but not the AMD's primary goal.

So they have a ES which settles for 3GHz and perhaps 65 to 95W of TDP, and is able to compete against intels latest and best offering with 8 cores / 16 threads, and it beats it with a percentage.

If i'm not mistaken, that CPU is made from the same stuff the RX 480 is made of. And by all the looks of it it is a worthless OC'er since many cards dont reach 1400Mhz for longer then 5 minutes stable (watercooling that is). So knowing this AMD proberly pushes these CPU to already the TDP limit and we need a beefy motherboard with beefy VRM and all that, in order to push for even more.

2. Based on recent behavior for pricing at AMD, they'll likely go somewhere directly between that. They simply have to be able to meet demand, and that's not going to be easy for them if its good and if they price it too low. If they can match Intel performance and clocks, they are best to simply slightly undercut intel across the board. That might not be the best for enthusiasts, but its best for AMD for sure.

Maybe?

AMD needs sales in the low / mid section, but the higher section as well. Dont forget that enterprise market is WAYYY more important then consumers such as us, and that where enterprise is where the money is.

The SOC is actually a decent design, you only need a motherboard with simply AM4 socket, a decent TDP rating and your good to go. No more difference in socket, chipsets or mostly bios updates. However this cuts the ability to get cherry picked chipsets on for example the high-end AM3+ motherboards for example. Buying a crosshair IV or Z guaranteees you are able to hit 350Mhz HTT and more then 200W of TDP.

I'm confident that AMD has a decent chip, the work put into is paying off, now it needs contracts, decent pricing and they'll have a boost in sales, which is exactly what they need. Never forget the underdog, they already have all major contracts with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, their graphics part will be more and more important in the future when pushing for asynchronous compute.

And that is exactly where those Radeon cards will shine in. The RX480 is better then the 1060 when using Doom.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
As AMD have to underclock - ie hamstring - the Intel CPU to beat it, then it doesn't look good at all for them. They should compare stock with stock running at stock, as that's the true comparison, not a gimped competition.

If the -E CPU is too strong for it, then they should have compared it with the mainstream models instead for a fair comparison.

It looks to me like there will be some useful performance improvements with Zen, but AMD are gonna continue playing catch-up with Intel, like always. Shame AMD squandered their lead with the A64 series a decade ago. They really blew it. :ohwell:

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
As AMD have to underclock - ie hamstring - the Intel CPU to beat it, then it doesn't look good at all for them. They should compare stock with stock running at stock, as that's the true comparison, not a gimped competition.

If the -E CPU is too strong for it, then they should have compared it with the mainstream models instead for a fair comparison.

It looks to me like there will be some useful performance improvements with Zen, but AMD are gonna continue playing catch-up with Intel, like always. Shame AMD squandered their lead with the A64 series a decade ago. They really blew it. :ohwell:

Depends on what you want to show right? if its the improvement of performance per clock speed then yeah you have to have to match them...which is what they wanted to and what they did so yeah...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Depends on what you want to show right? if its the improvement of performance per clock speed then yeah you have to have to match them...which is what they wanted to and what they did so yeah...
I haven't had time to look at that properly yet, but yeah, if they wanted to show IPC improvements they would do that. From the looks of it though they crucially don't state the IPC performance. In the end, all that matters is that stock performance comparison which they're not showing you, so we should be right to be suspicious that they're hiding performance deficits again. And again, the official reviews will show the true performance.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
I haven't had time to look at that properly yet, but yeah, if they wanted to show IPC improvements they would do that. From the looks of it though they crucially don't state the IPC performance. In the end, all that matters is that stock performance comparison which they're not showing you, so we should be right to be suspicious that they're hiding performance deficits again. And again, the official reviews will show the true performance.

true they will, but you can compare different things to show performance, you argue they should leave everything factory stock and there is something to say for that type of comparison but then I might as well throw in that price should matter then as well.
Often times people compare the most high end AMD has to offer vs the most high end Intel has to offer in terms of performance when there is a massive price difference they then casually cast aside.
That is just as much part of the "stock" compare experience as anything else.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Does the average consumer even care about IPC performance/improvements? they either want cheap or they want competitive or both of course.... all out of the box, it's meaningless to say to the average consumer, "our IPC performance has improved by 40%", what I want to hear is something like "We have designed a CPU that offers the same performance (or better) than our competitor for the same or lower price" and when I don't hear this I am suspicious, and truly that's not because I want fail, but because I want success, it's been far too long since I have had an AMD CPU. To be fair, even if all it got was close I would still buy one simply because 11 years has been too long.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800x
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X-570-Plus (WiFi)
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i
Memory 32 GB Corsair Dominator RGB DDR4 3200 Mhz @3600
Video Card(s) Asus AREZ RX Vega 64 Strix OC 8GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
Display(s) Asus PB258Q 25" 2560x1440
Case Cooler Master Master Case 5 Pro
Power Supply Corsair RMx 1000
Software Windows 10 Pro 64
I for one think this is promising. AMD has done something they haven't come close to doing in years... matching (or even slightly surpassing) an Intel flagship CPU clock for clock.
Sure there were no boost/turbo clocks enabled but would there be in the real world if all 16 threads were being utilized @ 100%?

Now they just need to keep it at a reasonable "consumer friendly" price and make up the difference in raw sales.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I would buy one if I had the money, just so I could play with it and see personally what it is capable of.

Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 LTT Edition
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
Storage 970Evo Plus 1TB + 850 EVO 500 GB + WD Red 3 TB + HDST 4TB + Seagate 6TB
Display(s) 2x Asus MG279Q
Case Cooler Master Haf 912 Plus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SF-650F14MG
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
I would buy one if I had the money, just so I could play with it and see personally what it is capable of.

I will buy one only if it will have good reviews, and I will compare it with a friend's 4690k (this is the price level I am looking at). I will keep it only if it will confirm the reviews.

Let's not forget the other dirty trick that AMD used in the past - selling a small number of graphic cards/CPUs just after the launch where you could unlock a few more cores. And it didn't always worked, but some of us bought them hoping their CPU could be unlocked.
My father uses my old 960T now .... with 8GB of ram, a HD6770 and a Samsung 650 SSD, Spider Solitaire never ran faster :D

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I will buy one only if it will have good reviews, and I will compare it with a friend's 4690k (this is the price level I am looking at). I will keep it only if it will confirm the reviews.

Let's not forget the other dirty trick that AMD used in the past - selling a small number of graphic cards/CPUs just after the launch where you could unlock a few more cores. And it didn't always worked, but some of us bought them hoping their CPU could be unlocked.
My father uses my old 960T now .... with 8GB of ram, a HD6770 and a Samsung 650 SSD, Spider Solitaire never ran faster :D
Yeah the bastards ,how dare they sell you what you paid for and only offer a slim chance of a free bonus , and all without advertising any of it.
Was it Amd who announced some ref 4Gb Rx480's could have memory unlocked, no.
Was it Amd who sold Cpus on a vague promise of bonus cores, again no.
My 8350 clocked a bit beats a 4690k in the right app or game already and many say its 4 year old ass was always shit ,I say, as I said not so and I look forward to Zen , finally Intel's micro opp and wide core rescources for 1thread tactic is getting countered, hold onto your pants cos imho Kaby lakes getting served its own ass.
And how come so many new names turn up in these Amd threads always eager to trash or downplay Amd,I think dual tpu accounts should be banned.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

They just wanted to show up how the architecture stands agains Intel's current offerings. To do that a comparison at the same clockspeeds is a must. Of course this is just one test and is very possible that in some other benchmark Broadwell would pull ahead but still even if overall AMD is behind Intel by single digit percentage that would be a huge milestone considering the handicap that AMD is playing with (huge amounts of debt, waaay smaller team, bigger manufacturing process, etc., etc,. etc).

We've seen the Zen ES go from 1.8Ghz to 2.3 and now 3Ghz in this presentation. I don't expect these to be clocked beyond 3.5Ghz. The TDP will likely be above Intel's too (165w is my guess) but the stars of the show will be the 4c/8t and 6c/12t parts.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Does the average consumer even care about IPC performance/improvements? they either want cheap or they want competitive or both of course.... all out of the box, it's meaningless to say to the average consumer, "our IPC performance has improved by 40%", what I want to hear is something like "We have designed a CPU that offers the same performance (or better) than our competitor for the same or lower price" and when I don't hear this I am suspicious, and truly that's not because I want fail, but because I want success, it's been far too long since I have had an AMD CPU. To be fair, even if all it got was close I would still buy one simply because 11 years has been too long.

And you all wait for AMD to show the Zen's true power months before they go out for sale? With clocks and TDP of the final product? All they showed there was that they promised +40% IPC and they delivered. The clocks @3GHz aren't finals and Intel's 8C/16H is in reality a 3,2GHz CPU@stock when pushed on full load at all its cores. So, it is a pretty valid comparison imho. Not sure what it will do in all applications and games and computing power yet but this comparison showed exactly that the new arch is very promising when compared to Intel's newest 8C @1000 cpu it manages to be somehow equal. Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 LTT Edition
Memory 2 x 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX580 Nitro+
Storage 970Evo Plus 1TB + 850 EVO 500 GB + WD Red 3 TB + HDST 4TB + Seagate 6TB
Display(s) 2x Asus MG279Q
Case Cooler Master Haf 912 Plus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SF-650F14MG
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Yeah the bastards ,how dare they sell you what you paid for and only offer a slim chance of a free bonus , and all without advertising any of it.
Was it Amd who announced some ref 4Gb Rx480's could have memory unlocked, no.
Was it Amd who sold Cpus on a vague promise of bonus cores, again no.
My 8350 clocked a bit beats a 4690k in the right app or game already and many say its 4 year old ass was always shit ,I say, as I said not so and I look forward to Zen , finally Intel's micro opp and wide core rescources for 1thread tactic is getting countered, hold onto your pants cos imho Kaby lakes getting served its own ass.
And how come so many new names turn up in these Amd threads always eager to trash or downplay Amd,I think dual tpu accounts should be banned.

You did not understand my comment. They did not advertise all of this, but they made it easy for the end user to try it. And all the fanboys created a hype that was better for them than any advertising.
However you put it, this hope for a free performance bonus enabled AMD to set the price for some CPU's a bit higher.
BTW - I am new to this forum, I don't have multiple accounts, and I am not just thrashing AMD. I'm just dissapointed by the hype created around them every time before a launch. And they almost never deliver at least what's expected.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
And you all wait for AMD to show the Zen's true power months before they go out for sale? With clocks and TDP of the final product? All they showed there was that they promised +40% IPC and they delivered. The clocks @3GHz aren't finals and Intel's 8C/16H is in reality a 3,2GHz CPU@stock when pushed on full load at all its cores. So, it is a pretty valid comparison imho. Not sure what it will do in all applications and games and computing power yet but this comparison showed exactly that the new arch is very promising when compared to Intel's newest 8C @1000 cpu it manages to be somehow equal. Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.
I am not waiting for anything, I don't play the speculation game however I actually think they at least eluded to the fact that it would be very competitive with Intel's "current" lineup, after 11 years I am hesitant to believe anything anyone's marketing department tells me from whatever camp. If it's good I will buy it, if not I will go elsewhere.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
You did not understand my comment. They did not advertise all of this, but they made it easy for the end user to try it. And all the fanboys created a hype that was better for them than any advertising.
However you put it, this hope for a free performance bonus enabled AMD to set the price for some CPU's a bit higher.
BTW - I am new to this forum, I don't have multiple accounts, and I am not just thrashing AMD. I'm just dissapointed by the hype created around them every time before a launch. And they almost never deliver at least what's expected.
Well you need to play fair then it was the enthusiast community that hyped up core unlocking not Amd and they didn't adjust prices for it , I guess some blame should go to motherboard makers who designed core unlocking(making itis easier for consumers)because it was them that hyped it as a feature.
As for Amd hyping there releases they only do what ALL companies do its communities that over hyped then over slated them ,I mean my 8350 cost 159 UK notes and has done 3 years folding 24/7 and I'm still gaming at ultra settings on almost every game ,how can that be a bad buy ,Zen looks a much stronger proposition, but ill wager that when Amd get close to Intel's Ipc in shops, intel advotees will pull another spec or facet ie efficiency to deride Intel's enemy's stuff

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700

heh I think we are all like that with every piece of hardware that comes out :p
we are hardware enthusiasts after all ;)

Even if it won't be a speed king (of the hill), it's still looking good. And if they'll price it well, this thing can be a VERY interesting alternative. Plus, you have that X factor owning an AMD CPU. C'mon, admit it, it is cool. :)