• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD BIOS Signature Check re-enabled with ReLive, Locks out Polaris BIOS Modders

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Why the ROM also has a signature is down to UEFI implementation of secure boot.

AMD ROMs are hybrid ROMs, there is Legacy section which sets up cards for clocks/voltage, etc, then you have the UEFI/GOP module which the motherboard bios will look for when CSM is disabled so a pure UEFI environment is setup. Now the UEFI/GOP must authenticate the Legacy section, if it does not:-

Does this mean if you set your card to legacy (and overclocked /v modded ) it will load these Drivers using a non UEFI motherboard
or are you Still Stuffed up the proverbal Rectum

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom WC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz C16 @ 3800MHz C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX (MBA)
Storage 2x SN770 2TB, 4x 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 (Mods: Front mesh panel, improved top panel for airflow)
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29041947 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/84973091
Simple answer you are still stuffed up the proverbial rectum :D .

The driver only checks the Legacy section signature, you modify that section of ROM for clocks, voltage, etc and if you don't update signature to reflect changes you get no driver load. Regardless you have UEFI or Legacy motherboard and/or disable/delete UEFI/GOP module in vbios making it Legacy only vbios.

Last edited:

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
To the people acting up over this:

Imagine you're AMD: You are to put out a new driver/utility that will dynamicly alter the frequency of a given GFX; IF someone have modded a BIOS and set a higher 'default=xxxx', then your utility when trying to moderate the mhz according to the given game will either criple the performance in the game and create an outrage (both by AMD-boi and the green-camp of sh**-talk) EVEN worse the OC modded bioses will pushes this OC mhz up and your utility adds 10% extra to give best performance = BSOD. They have NO idea of know what a modded bios does; I could make a modded bios that was coded in a way that would work normal and well WITHOUR chill, but with it turned on recked the GFX. I am 100% AMD appreciate the OC'ers and modders and what they have done with the optimizations but the fact is that some functions require version control to be able to ensure the experience. modders can do what they have always done, but at own risk. So either you accept the change or you accept the change and mod around it but b****fits is not an option (unless you want to come off as a child.)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Simple - Fewer warranty claims.
Sounds very likely. Still, it's just in their interest, not ours. It wouldn't surprise me if NVIDIA do the same.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
It wouldn't surprise me if NVIDIA do the same.
NVIDIA Pascal BIOSes are properly locked down, you can't flash them to the card if modified.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
NVIDIA Pascal BIOSes are properly locked down, you can't flash them to the card if modified.

Another reason for me to stay on Maxwell then.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Why are AMD being such killjoys? It's your card, you're free to do what you want with it.

Replacing the cards costs money. Sure their are honest people out there but i bet most go for the RMA and scream they been done wrong if they do not get a replacement.

Sounds very likely. Still, it's just in their interest, not ours. It wouldn't surprise me if NVIDIA do the same.

I thought the newer nV cards were temp regulated ?.

System Name masina
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550M
Cooling Scythe Kabuto 3 + Arctic BioniX P120 fan
Memory 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200 CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500, 640GB WD Black
Display(s) AOC C24G1
Case SilentiumPC AT6V
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT
Software Win 10 Pro
...and for about 99.9% of Polaris users life goes on.

To be honest a better way would've been to just disable the Chill feature for the ones rolling with a modded BIOS. Graying out the option unable to enable it in the control panel and making a hover-over bubble notification why it is disabled. Or better yet if the installer detects a modded BIOS it prompts the user that the Chill feature will be disabled because of the non-conformant BIOS on the card.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
i suspect this signature thing is on in the WHQL drivers, the hotfix/betas might not have it

Another reason for me to stay on Maxwell then.

part of the reason most likely because of warranty stuff. but i also think they double up their BIOS and firmware security because of fake card issue. i have seen this happen with kepler based card.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom WC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz C16 @ 3800MHz C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX (MBA)
Storage 2x SN770 2TB, 4x 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 (Mods: Front mesh panel, improved top panel for airflow)
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29041947 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/84973091
To the people acting up over this:

Imagine you're AMD: You are to put out a new driver/utility that will dynamicly alter the frequency of a given GFX; IF someone have modded a BIOS and set a higher 'default=xxxx', then your utility when trying to moderate the mhz according to the given game will either criple the performance in the game and create an outrage (both by AMD-boi and the green-camp of sh**-talk) EVEN worse the OC modded bioses will pushes this OC mhz up and your utility adds 10% extra to give best performance = BSOD. They have NO idea of know what a modded bios does; I could make a modded bios that was coded in a way that would work normal and well WITHOUR chill, but with it turned on recked the GFX. I am 100% AMD appreciate the OC'ers and modders and what they have done with the optimizations but the fact is that some functions require version control to be able to ensure the experience. modders can do what they have always done, but at own risk. So either you accept the change or you accept the change and mod around it but b****fits is not an option (unless you want to come off as a child.)

Did you know that stock factory ROMs tend to have pretty high GPU MHz OverDrive limits (which WattMan would use)?

Hawaii stock ROM left window, Fiji stock ROM lower right, Polaris upper right.

i suspect this signature thing is on in the WHQL drivers, the hotfix/betas might not have it

Nope, like previously posted Polaris launch driver til v16.9.1 regardless of WHQL/hotfix, etc had ROM signature verification.

Jim Bryant

Would not Surprise me if AMD did launch a DMCA cease and desist campaign on ^^^^^^^

They can't. In fact, if someone wants to do a complete reverse engineering of the BIOS they can now in the USA. The Library of Congress has spoken.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
They can't. In fact, if someone wants to do a complete reverse engineering of the BIOS they can now in the USA. The Library of Congress has spoken.

Its one thing to be legaly allowed to reverse engineer something
but to use anything you learn in another product or same product AND MAKE THAT PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTED/AVAILABLE will no doubt run you straight into patent/trademark laws or even Anti Terrorist Security laws
East Texas has built quite a legal trade in patent /trademark law
its the legal Trade's first or second Stop for lawsuits Especialy for IT.

Last edited:

Furbacca

What is it with AMD lately? First i find out they turned off GCN 1.0 card's with April's and higher driver updates, now this. Day ago i just inserted UEFI/GOP code in my original Gigabyte 7970 ghz bios so i can boot quickly into Windows 10. The card is going strong and is amazing overclocker.

Jeremy Jenson

Hey, i might need your help in my mod. I have done till step 10 when you said that if i reboot the driver signature enforcement will go back to normal. But the thing is, the graphic card is already uninstalled. So im not sure whether i have to install the graphic with the power running or reboot to install it. I have already tried plugging in the graphic after clean uninstall the current driver, my screen goes black and there isnt any signal coming in.
Kinda need your help in abit

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hey, i might need your help in my mod. I have done till step 10 when you said that if i reboot the driver signature enforcement will go back to normal. But the thing is, the graphic card is already uninstalled. So im not sure whether i have to install the graphic with the power running or reboot to install it. I have already tried plugging in the graphic after clean uninstall the current driver, my screen goes black and there isnt any signal coming in.
Kinda need your help in abit
Then start your own thread asking for help, with specific details of the issue and steps you have tried already.
Please don't hijack an existing thread.

Was wondering if I mod an XFX Rx 460 RX-460P4DDGR bios the driver will not install? How come Saphire's Nitro is factory unlocked and that works with the driver? In that case can I take the bios from that card and flash it onto the XFX Rx460 and expect it to work?

Thanks.

Was wondering if I mod an XFX Rx 460 RX-460P4DDGR bios the driver will not install? How come Saphire's Nitro is factory unlocked and that works with the driver? In that case can I take the bios from that card and flash it onto the XFX Rx460 and expect it to work?

Thanks.

DO NOT FLASH BIOS ACROSS DIFFERENT VENDORS, BECAUSE IT WILL PROBABLY BRICK YOUR CARD!

IIRC every official BIOS gets signed by AMD and the driver checks this signature. Sapphire probably got permission from AMD for unlock, therefore the cards BIOS is signed.

Haven't even bought the card yet so if it bricked I would just return it, but thinking of passing because even with the mod the 1050Ti is so much faster for almost the same amount of money.

Still tempted though. Looks like a fun project but this AMD driver signing BS and enforcement of such makes it not worth the effort.

If you don't have the card yet, you must know that not all cards unlock. Signing is there to prevent inexperienced people burning/bricking the GPUs. It's not really a problem anymore as patching the driver has become really easy - see my post above.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Thanks.

read my signature to avoid kicking yourself in the balls

Well its not my first rodeo flashing modded bios's and was looking for a fun project. Thing is if I pick up this card and Mess it up I can always return it.

Just the performance numbers aren't that great if you ask me..

Thanks