• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Demos Breakthrough Performance of the ZEN CPU Core

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I think they learned a lesson from that and aren't going to over-hype Zen before release and a part of the Bulldozer hype train was also AMD fans hyping it. Really I can't blame AMD for hyping their product before release. Most companies do it.

4 in 5 AMD fans suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

Being serious though, there's a difference between promoting an upcoming product and misleading marketing which is what they did with Bulldozer... and Phenom II... and Phenom I... and almost all of their APU's. AMD has a history of using misleading slides and data to indicate their products will be substantially better than they actually are. Say what you will about Intel, but even if it's not the best news they stay reasonable with their claims, and are always pretty accurate.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Being serious though, there's a difference between promoting an upcoming product and misleading marketing which is what they did with Bulldozer... and Phenom II... and Phenom I... and almost all of their APU's. AMD has a history of using misleading slides and data to indicate their products will be substantially better than they actually are. Say what you will about Intel, but even if it's not the best news they stay reasonable with their claims, and are always pretty accurate.
Like accurately refusing that gpu's are necessary nope cos they force a shit one on almost everyone bar Pentium ,they think they have Vr covered with Moorestown but hey you keep listening closely bro.

The thing is that AMD needs to be charging more.

Their market share has plummeted in both dGPU and CPUs and you think they need to charge more? That would make it worse. They have inferior architecture (poor performance and efficiency) that is expensive to produce. They won the contract for game consoles because they were the low bidder. There may be little profit, but the alternative would be worse.

The only way out of the hole is superior product, high performance and low cost (to produce). Their current size puts them in a bad spot. They simply don't have the resources to compete. Weak budgets for R&D, design, support, marketing, etc. It would take a miracle for AMD to pull back significant market share IMO, and profits will be negative to thin until they do.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The only way out of the hole is superior product, high performance and low cost (to produce). Their current size puts them in a bad spot.

I'd say what they need is to have a modern chip that offers decent power/price/performance ratios. They have a long, long way to go to be superior to Intel.

I'd say what they need is to have a modern chip that offers decent power/price/performance ratios.

Inferior designs *have* to be sold cheap, if they want to sell any at all. Apparently so cheap that the profit gets squeezed down to nothing. It's really hard to make money that way in the CPU and GPU markets. If AMD wants to compete with that strategy then they need a lower performance design that is inherently cheap to produce. But that is an engineering feat in itself. And it can't be very far behind in performance, else it makes more sense to get a lower tier Intel chip.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
If inferior products have to be sold cheaply why did Intel sell the Netburst junk at a similar if not higher price than AMD? Proper marketing can sell inferior products at the same price if not higher. As long as the consumer of the products believes they purchased something of value than no harm done.

This has been proven on a multitude of occasions in multiple markets. It quite honestly doesn't matter what the performance of AMD's next batch is, it will not be a sink or swim instance simply for the fact that even selling junk they are profitable. As long as AMD can hold the console contracts and gain some more server contracts (already seen with the China deal) they have already garuanteed their existence.

Right now what AMD needs is a good PR core to push their products. They need to offer discounts for full AMD setups to OEM's and fix the firepro crap so it can actually compete with the Quadros. If they can accomplish that and put a positive spin back into their name then they will gain a larger foothold. I still to this day believe a simple AMD logo at the boot up of the Xbox/ps4 would have sold more products than anyone could imagine.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Their market share has plummeted in both dGPU and CPUs and you think they need to charge more? That would make it worse. They have inferior architecture (poor performance and efficiency) that is expensive to produce. They won the contract for game consoles because they were the low bidder. There may be little profit, but the alternative would be worse.

The only way out of the hole is superior product, high performance and low cost (to produce). Their current size puts them in a bad spot. They simply don't have the resources to compete. Weak budgets for R&D, design, support, marketing, etc. It would take a miracle for AMD to pull back significant market share IMO, and profits will be negative to thin until they do.

Yes, they need to be charging more for their chips. They're bleeding red ink selling too cheaply. They've sold off most of their properties. Borrowed over two billion dollars which they can't even pay the interest on. Laid off employees. What else can they sell? Maybe Radeon Group but where would that leave them on integrated graphics on their future CPUs. Part of my comment was that they probably can't charge more and gain market share at the same time even if Zen delivers when it comes to market. They have a huge chunk of debt coming due in 2019 (600 million dollars) and no way to repay it without rolling over the debt, borrowing more from a different source or diluting the value of their shares by printing up and selling more shares. Read that as pissed off investors. Especially those buying in right now.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
I still to this day believe a simple AMD logo at the boot up of the Xbox/ps4 would have sold more products than anyone could imagine.

The problem is that none of the console makers will let em have that logo on boot. According to the rumour mill, that was a part for nV walking away in particular - no chance to market while also having to drop the price? who's gonna say yes?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

Intel lies less? LOL That's not even funny, really. Really short memory? I mean, they just said their new refresh they pulled out of their ass, which is the same as the sky/shit lake, is 15% faster (just like shit lake was faster than skylake).

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel processors and Radeon GPUs were great combination before, probably and now.
Intel Skylake Xtreme + Vega or Broadwell Xtreme + Vega.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
...has a history of using misleading slides...
Lol, yeah, only AMD has a history of using misleading slides.
"Much faster than 480"

PS
Phenoms where fine.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
All advertisements are 100% true about stuff that does not matter. Company slides are designed to highlight the good and pretend like the bad never happened and ever company on planet earth has done that since the dawn of companies.

Here is the new thing. It does A, B, F, and G better than the previous one. Nothing changed about C or D and H is just F&^%ed. Ok, make the slide show about A, B, and G. Then we will "leak" F later and pretend like its new information. Hide C and D in the white paper and after the initial release we will tell people that H will be fixed in the next one. <= EVERY company ever.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I think they learned a lesson from that and aren't going to over-hype Zen before release and a part of the Bulldozer hype train was also AMD fans hyping it. Really I can't blame AMD for hyping their product before release. Most companies do it. I just take it with a grain of salt until I see actual reviews from tech sites like this one.

It seems like there is close communication between PR and manufacturing this time around. There are no outrageous claims to muddy our perception of Ryzen.
They're playing their cards right with a much better product and letting it speak for itself with calculated 'leaks'

They have my attention.