• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is DirectX 12 Worth the Trouble?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
We are at the 2017 Game Developers Conference, and were invited to one of the many enlightening tech sessions, titled "Is DirectX 12 Worth it," by Jurjen Katsman, CEO of Nixxes, a company credited with several successful PC ports of console games (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided). Over the past 18 months, DirectX 12 has become the selling point to PC gamers, of everything from Windows 10 (free upgrade) to new graphics cards, and even games, with the lack of DirectX 12 support even denting the PR of certain new AAA game launches, until the developers hashed out support for the new API through patches. Game developers are asking the dev community at large to manage their expectations from DirectX 12, with the underlying point being that it isn't a silver-bullet to all the tech limitations developers have to cope with, and that to reap all its performance rewards, a proportionate amount of effort has to be put in by developers.

The presentation begins with the speaker talking about the disillusionment consumers have about DirectX 12, and how they're yet to see the kind of console-rivaling performance gains DirectX 12 was purported to bring. Besides lack of huge performance gains, consumers eagerly await the multi-GPU utopia that was promised to them, in which not only can you mix and match GPUs of your choice across models and brands, but also have them stack up their video memory - a theoretical possibility with by DirectX 12, but which developers argue is easier said than done, in the real world. One of the key areas where DirectX 12 is designed to improve performance is by distributing rendering overhead evenly among many CPU cores, in a multi-core CPU. For high-performance desktop users with reasonably fast CPUs, the gains are negligible. This also goes for people gaming on higher resolutions, such as 1440p and 4K Ultra HD, where the frame-rates are low, and the performance tends to be more GPU-limited.

The other big feature introduced to the mainstream with DirectX 12, is asynchronous compute. There have been examples of games that take advantage of gaining more performance out of a certain brand of GPU than the other, and this is a problem, according to developers. Hardware support to async compute is limited to only the latest GPU architectures, and requires further tuning specific to the hardware. Performance gains seen on closed ecosystems such as consoles, hence, don't necessarily come over to the PC. It is therefore concluded that performance gains with async compute are inconsistent, and hence developers should manage their time on making a better game than focusing on a very specific hardware user-base.

The speakers also cast aspersions on the viability of memory stacking on multi-GPU - the idea where memory of two GPUs simply add up to become one large addressable block. To begin with, the multi-GPU user-base is still far too small for developers to spend more effort than simply hashing out an AFR (alternate frame rendering) code for their games. AFR, the most common performance-improving multi-GPU method, where each GPU in a multi-GPU renders an alternative frame for the master GPU to output in sequence; requires that each GPU has a copy of the video-memory mirrored with the other GPUs. Having to fetch data from the physical memory of a neighboring GPU is a performance-costly and time-consuming process.

The idea behind new-generation "close-to-the-metal" APIs such as DirectX 12 and Vulkan, has been to make graphics drivers as less relevant to the rendering pipeline as possible. The speakers contend that the drivers are still very relevant, and instead, with the advent of the new APIs, their complexities have further gone up, in the areas of memory management, manual multi-GPU (custom, non-AFR multi-GPU implementations), the underlying tech required to enable async compute, and the various performance-enhancement tricks the various driver vendors implement to make their brand of hardware faster, which in turn can mean uncertainties for the developer in cases where the driver overrides certain techniques, just to squeeze out a little bit of extra performance.

The developers revisit the question - is DirectX 12 worth it? Well, if you are willing to invest a lot of time into your DirectX 12 implementation, you could succeed, such as in case of "Rise of the Tomb Raider," in which users noticed "significant gains" with the new API (which were not trivial to achieve). They also argue that it's possible to overcome CPU bottlenecks with or without DirectX 12, if that's relevant to your game or user-base. They also concede that Async Compute is the way forward, and if not console-rivaling performance gains, it can certainly benefit the PC. They're also happy to have gotten rid of AFR multi-GPU as governed by the graphics driver, which was unpredictable and had little control (remember those pesky 400 MB driver updates just to get multi-GPU support?). The new API-governed AFR means more work for the developer, but also far greater control, which the speaker believe, will benefit the users. Another point he made is that successful porting to DirectX 12 lays a good foundation for porting to Vulkan (mostly for mobile), which uses nearly identical concepts, technologies and APIs as DX12.

Memory management is the hardest part about DirectX 12, but the developer community is ready to embrace the innovation (such as mega-textures, tiled-resources, etc). The speakers conclude stating that DirectX 12 is hard, it can be worth the extra effort, but it may not be, either. Developers and consumers need to be realistic about what to expect from DirectX, and developers in particular to focus on making good games, rather than sacrificing their resources on becoming tech-demonstrators than on actual content.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
No, so far Direct3D 12, NOT DirectX 12 (why do people are still calling that?!) , has almost no relevance for existing games.
Unless a game is build from ground up to use D3D 12, no significant performance gains can be seen compared with D3D 11.

Besides, so far, Vulkan seems a more mature and better API, and personally I am fully supporting it, even only for the fact that is multi-platform, or can be ported to any platform, compared to DirectX(D3D) 12 which is Windows 10 only (pff)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Good article. It seems like it's a white elephant in many regards, the effort to make it happen properly is not worth the outcome (financially speaking).
To make DX12 hardware agnostic requires far greater effort than has been shown so far. You can code Async for AMD but you also need to code it to suit Nvidia.
Lots of work involved.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Clearly its a big NO, get onto the real train with Vulkun people!

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
So who is this speaker?

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
I haw 1000 euro pc buld and it haw old Athlon in it and coming rx460 tlc ssd whit win7 i dont giva shit abaut dx12 i verry angry. Thats what you get from upgrading oem pc.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
So who is this speaker?

According to another site:

During GDC 2017 the CEO of Nixxes, Jurjen Katsman, talked about his experience in porting games from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12. Nixxes is the developer responsible for the DirectX 12 render paths of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
But LoL they show no gain in DX12 utilizinga a gtx980ti !!!! Are they crazy? All knows that nvidia cards really sucks at DX12.

"Performance gains easily masked"

No they f**king aren't. You game dev moppets do that with idiotic design decisions. Instead of leaving the 30% gain to the user in terms of higher framerate, expanding super playable game to larger audience, you add some bullshit eye candy that consumes 40% of the gain with maybe 1% added visual fidelity. I keep on ranting about tessellation for example where they use it backwards by cramming gazillion polygons in places where they don't matter, draining performance while not improving anything, just making it worse. Instead, they could make games the way they look now and REMOVE polygons where they don't matter (you know, how LOD works, just worse coz it has massive transitions between models), gaining performance and sacrificing visual fidelity where it doesn't matter anyway. And yet, they still don't get it after all these years and they keep on doing this nonsense with every new performance gaining tech. Stop wasting resources obtained from gains and wasting them where they don't matter at all!

The DX12 situation is the same. They gain 30% and then they are like wow, look at this gain, lets add this cool stuff you can only see with microscope, but it'll make a 50% performance penalty, but whatever. Excellent idea! F**k me.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
But LoL they show no gain in DX12 utilizinga a gtx980ti !!!! Are they crazy? All knows that nvidia cards really sucks at DX12.

Ah yes. That chestnut.

My 980ti with fewer cores but faster clocks than a FuryX matches it in DX12 titles. In DX11, my card has the same performance but the FuryX drops the ball.
Nvidia architecture is already well suited to the task at hand, whereas AMD was held back by its architecture complexity in DX11.

Given the design and engineering experience of ATI/AMD and the hardware contained it's more relevant that AMD has not been performing as the hardware suggested, whereas Nvidia has. DX12 has allowed AMD to reach parity. It's not that Nvidia do worse.
And FWIW, if you read about DX12, the coding is highly particular to the hardware architecture. If you code with AMD in mind, Nvidia usually drops a fraction. If you code with Nvidia in mind, AMD sees little improvement.
There are dev guidelines from both camps on how to correctly code extensions and paths to suit each architecture.
And if you really want to say Nvidia can't do DX12, what are the fastest 2-3 single gfx cards right now?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I said from the beginning developers won't jump of the "more work for you" bandwagon.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
My 980ti with fewer cores but faster clocks than a FuryX matches it in DX12 titles. In DX11, my card has the same performance but the FuryX drops the ball.

In _some_ DX12 titles, and OCed, I presume, or at 1080p (or below :D)

Good article, yes.
But I don't identify myself with the 2nd sentence:
"Over the past 18 months, DirectX 12 has become the selling point to PC gamers, of everything from Windows 10 (free upgrade) to new graphics cards, and even games, with the lack of DirectX 12 support even denting the PR of certain new AAA game launches"

I have not bought games because of DX12
I have not upgraded to W10 for DX12
I have not upgrade GPU for DX12
I have not rejected games because of its lack of DX12

Because... DX11 also was so vapour, "it was huge" ;-)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
In _some_ DX12 titles, and OCed, I presume, or at 1080p (or below :D)

Actually no. There's a good review site (German i think) that compares custom models and it's quite telling that the stock 980ti is a limp fish but comparing OC to OC for Fury X to 980ti, the Nvidia card does very well in DX11 and equals the Fury X in DX12. Can't find it though... I did post it in a thread a while back. Basically, a standard over clocked 980ti is 20% faster than what the reviews say for the stock model.

Not German...

https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=4052&page=9

Unfortunately not the best spread of titles but they at least have Ashes... Unfortunately Doom is open GL which is unfortunate, but we'll give that to the Fury X over an overclocked 980ti.

Last edited:
Direct X/3D is not worth it, no matter the version.
We are stuck with Microsoft and Windows due to it.
When Direct 3D will work on Linux and on something else than X86, than it will become a great API.

Developers must help AMD's drivers to exercise their own GPUs to some degree.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill DDR4-3600 Trident Z CL 16
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
Storage Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB1 IPS 165Hz G-Sync
Case Lian-Li PC-A10B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Zowie EC1-A
Keyboard G.Skill KM780 MX (MX brown)
dx11 times:
- "We're tied too much to the vendor drivers... If only we had more liberty with memory... If only we had more direct access to the process..."

current times:
- "Don't get your hopes up, this is way too much work... I don't think many of us will bother..."

Really?... :rolleyes:

Hardware support to _____________ is limited to only the latest GPU architectures
So what? It's been precisely the definition of PC Gaming for decades: "new tech = new hardware ---> upgrades".
Why should it be any different now? It's what makes PC a great platform: It moves forward.

What the hell is wrong with the industry nowadays...

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
Actually no. There's a good review site (German i think) that compares custom models and it's quite telling that the stock 980ti is a limp fish but comparing OC to OC for Fury X to 980ti, the Nvidia card does very well in DX11 and equals the Fury X in DX12. Can't find it though... I did post it in a thread a while back. Basically, a standard over clocked 980ti is 20% faster than what the reviews say for the stock model.

Not German...

https://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=4052&page=9

Unfortunately not the best spread of titles but they at least have Ashes... Unfortunately Doom is open GL which is unfortunate, but we'll give that to the Fury X over an overclocked 980ti.

Here we are talking about DX12 and ur card does not support most important DX12 features. Your gain is equal almost to 0 (ZERO!!!!!!!) Got it? Btw still waiting dx12 driver for GTX970 LOL

Gin

DX12 and async are worth the trouble only for DX12 async GPUs.
Using DX12 and async, a Fury X performs better than a 1070 at 4K, and a R9 390X reaches the 980Ti performances.

https://www.overclockers.ua/video/directx-12-amd-vs-nvidia/all/

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
"Performance gains easily masked"

No they f**king aren't. You game dev moppets do that with idiotic design decisions. Instead of leaving the 30% gain to the user in terms of higher framerate, expanding super playable game to larger audience, you add some bullshit eye candy that consumes 40% of the gain with maybe 1% added visual fidelity. I keep on ranting about tessellation for example where they use it backwards by cramming gazillion polygons in places where they don't matter, draining performance while not improving anything, just making it worse. Instead, they could make games the way they look now and REMOVE polygons where they don't matter (you know, how LOD works, just worse coz it has massive transitions between models), gaining performance and sacrificing visual fidelity where it doesn't matter anyway. And yet, they still don't get it after all these years and they keep on doing this nonsense with every new performance gaining tech. Stop wasting resources obtained from gains and wasting them where they don't matter at all!

The DX12 situation is the same. They gain 30% and then they are like wow, look at this gain, lets add this cool stuff you can only see with microscope, but it'll make a 50% performance penalty, but whatever. Excellent idea! F**k me.
If you calm down and stop the rant, I think the main focus should be on building game engines natively on D3D12 instead of D3D9 or 10/11. Unless you have an Unreal Engine 5, for example, or Frostbite 3 build with that in mind, all the games are going to suck on D3D12.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
dx11 times:
- "We're tied too much to the vendor drivers... If only we had more liberty with memory... If only we had more direct access to the process..."

current times:
- "Don't get your hopes up, this is way too much work... I don't think many of us will bother..."

Really?... :rolleyes:

So what? It's been precisely the definition of PC Gaming for decades: "new tech = new hardware ---> upgrades".
Why should it be any different now? It's what makes PC a great platform: It moves forward.

What the hell is wrong with the industry nowadays...
Eh, that's nothing. Remember when Android was "too much work" because, unlike the iPhone, it came in different resolutions? As if that wasn't already the norm on every single PC (which is where the developers were coming from anyway).

There's nothing inherently wrong with the industry, but I can tell you once spoiled with high-level APIs (and productivity), many developers simply refuse to go back. (It's not a perfect analogy, but I'm the red headed step child in the office because I use the command line, whereas everybody else just presses buttons in the IDE.)

No, so far Direct3D 12, NOT DirectX 12 (why do people are still calling that?!) , has almost no relevance for existing games.
Unless a game is build from ground up to use D3D 12, no significant performance gains can be seen compared with D3D 11.
This just isn't true though. As somebody using an older CPU (a Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4GHz), the benefits are stark. To use Rise of the Tomb Raider as an example, my minimum framerate in the benchmark increased by over 30fps in DX12 over DX11, from a dismal 13.51fps all the way up to 43.74fps. Sure, it might have no real benefits if you're kitted out with the latest i7, but to suggest that there are zero performance gains in any scenario is nonsense. It does significantly alleviate CPU bottlenecking with less powerful chips.

20160401183413_1j0jyf.jpg 20160401184806_1uxkiz.jpg

Besides, so far, Vulkan seems a more mature and better API, and personally I am fully supporting it, even only for the fact that is multi-platform, or can be ported to any platform, compared to DirectX(D3D) 12 which is Windows 10 only (pff)

AMD and NVIDIA CALL DX12
http://www.amd.com/pt-br/innovations/software-technologies/directx12
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dx12

And even Microsoft
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899121(v=vs.85).aspx

What is Direct3D 12?

DirectX 12 introduces the next version of Direct3D,

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
This just isn't true though. As somebody using an older CPU (a Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4GHz), the benefits are stark. To use Rise of the Tomb Raider as an example, my minimum framerate in the benchmark increased by over 30fps in DX12 over DX11, from a dismal 13.51fps all the way up to 43.74fps. Sure, it might have no real benefits if you're kitted out with the latest i7, but to suggest that there are zero performance gains in any scenario is nonsense. It does significantly alleviate CPU bottlenecking with less powerful chips.

View attachment 84620 View attachment 84621
But that's exactly the thing developers are complaining about: a lot of work with results that only show if you have a rather new AMD card and in some cases also an older CPU.