• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Releases VRWorks Audio and 360 Video SDKs at GTC

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Further planting its roots on the VR SDK and development field, NVIDIA has just announced availability of two more SDK packages, for their VRWorks Audio and 360 Video suites. Now a part of NVIDIA's VRWorks suite of VR solutions, the VRWorks Audio SDK provides real-time ray tracing of audio in virtual environments, and is supported in Epic's Unreal Engine 4 (here's hoping this solution, or other solutions similar to it, address the problem of today's game audio.) The VRWorks 360 Video SDK, on the other hand, may be less interesting for graphics enthusiasts, in that it addresses the complex challenge of real-time video stitching.

Traditional VR audio ( and gaming audio, for that matter) provide an accurate 3D position of the audio source within a virtual environment. However, as it is handled today, sound is processed with little regard to anything else but the location of the source. With VRWorks Audio, NVIDIA brings to the table considerations for the dimensions and material properties of the physical environment, helping to create a truly immersive environment by modeling sound propagation phenomena such as reflection, refraction and diffraction. This is to be done in real time, at a GPU level. This work leverages NVIDIA's OptiX ray-tracing technology, which allows VRWorks Audio to trace the path of sound in real time, delivering physically accurate audio that reflects the size, shape and material properties of the virtual environment.

NVIDIA says that this is, at least for now, the only hardware-accelerated and path-traced audio solution that creates a complete acoustic image of the environment in real time without requiring any "pre-baked" knowledge of the scene. As the scene is loaded by the application, the acoustic model is built and updated on the fly, with audio effect filters being generated and applied on the sound source waveforms. The software release consists of a set of C-APIs for integration into any engine or application, and an integration for Epic's Unreal Engine 4 that's now available on GitHub.

As to its VRWorks 360 Video SDK, it enables real-time 4K 360 video capture, stitching and streaming. Regarding this feature, Kinson Loo, CEO of Z CAM, said that "The fact that NVIDIA manages to stitch 4K 360 stereoscopic video in real time, making livestreaming possible, changes the production pipeline and enables entirely new use cases in VR."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
This is true dedication to VR!

When will this VR fad end? I'm freaking fed up with it.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Buckle up kittens, your so hated "VR fad" is gonna be around for a lot longer than you can imagine.

We've had failed attempts at VR several times already. This one will wither out as well. Very few actually want to wear clunky BS on their heads.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
We've had failed attempts at VR several times already. This one will wither out as well. Very few actually want to wear clunky BS on their heads.

Yeah hate all you want kitten. Only time will tell whether you are right or wrong this time.

FYI, it's a birdie, not kitten. A huge difference in my tiny mind.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
FYI, it's a birdie, not kitten. A huge difference in my tiny mind.

Nah I prefer to call them kittens, young and cute with their lovely biased heads.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Nah I prefer to call them kittens, young and cute with their lovely biased heads.
Not Fair! I thought this was a safe space, where all my delusions can thrive and fester - I,m leaving, and taking my vast storehouse of computer knowledge and conspiracy theories with me! So there!

When will this VR fad end? I'm freaking fed up with it.
why are you seemingly angry at something that doesnt affect you? or are you implying that resources are spent away from cpu/gpu advancements or something? (at a time when most games run great & dont require constant high end upgrades, VR comes in demanding low latency high framerate high resolution multiple camera renders...)

have you tried any headset? it's not clunky if it's light & fits well, if backpack computers are becoming a thing thanks to the performance we get per watt by now

did old failed VR look good? did it have positional tracking? no, old VR sucked

let me show you what i tried a few days ago

it was a project for museums where you can walk through an upscaled CT scanned archaeological object, an object that will be damaged if it was physically opened, but turning it into a 3d render means we can examine it without any worries

therefore it's naive & offensive to think an entire platform, a user interface, a set of concepts has anything to do with a flood of pointless pew pew games on steam, as if this exact conversation didnt happen over & over again with smartphones, social networks, 2d games, movies, or books

so if you have an actual idea of what VR should be, start making it, unreal & unity are free... or tell us the idea so someone else can make it

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Why do you need only a GPU for this. Why not using an API all users can have access, like OpenAL or DS3D (or something).
My 5 years old Creative card is more than up for the task.

1999 called and it wants it's Aureal A3D back. Then, 2005 called and wanted EAX 5.0 back as well.

We've had audio tracing with environmental effects even back then and after sacking DirectSound 3D and all extensions for it, fast forwarding 2 decades and we're again at point ZERO, reinventing everything we already had ages ago, AGAIN. Sometimes I just don't understand the industry. We already had jaw dropping audio with breathtaking 3D positioning in games and all of it got scraped with dumb Microsoft screwing it all with garbage software audio layer. Which hasn't improved or changed since Vista.

Creative is imo still the king for audio, as much as they can even do on top of a "clueless" audio API. The surround softens the transitions better between audio channels which makes audio tracking better, but they still can't do it as well as if the game actually told the audio API "hey, the sound is coming from this location exactly, project that into speakers/headphones".

People have no clue how far audio in games has regressed since sacking of hardwre accelerated API's...

1999 called and it wants it's Aureal A3D back. Then, 2005 called and wanted EAX 5.0 back as well.

We've had audio tracing with environmental effects even back then and after sacking DirectSound 3D and all extensions for it, fast forwarding 2 decades and we're again at point ZERO, reinventing everything we already had ages ago, AGAIN. Sometimes I just don't understand the industry. We already had jaw dropping audio with breathtaking 3D positioning in games and all of it got scraped with dumb Microsoft screwing it all with garbage software audio layer. Which hasn't improved or changed since Vista.

Creative is imo still the king for audio, as much as they can even do on top of a "clueless" audio API. The surround softens the transitions better between audio channels which makes audio tracking better, but they still can't do it as well as if the game actually told the audio API "hey, the sound is coming from this location exactly, project that into speakers/headphones".

People have no clue how far audio in games has regressed since sacking of hardwre accelerated API's...
i'd like to hear what old games sounded like, because this isnt about simple positional audio

"considerations for the dimensions and material properties of the physical environment, helping to create a truly immersive environment by modeling sound propagation phenomena such as reflection, refraction and diffraction" as someone who has produced music, these material effects are too demanding to have been simulated in realtime over 15 years ago (but yes there are shortcuts that could be done instead, games are all about shortcuts & i do like sounding good enough rather than perfectly accurate... riddick dark athena & killzone 2/3 come to mind as having nice sounding fake reflection or occlusion on last gen consoles, the same way an environment map is a fake reflection that looks fine in most situations)