• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Calyos Showcases Its NSG S0 Phase Change Cooling Chassis at Computex 2017

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Remember that Kickstarted case from Calyos, which promises to be the ending of spinning fans on your rig? Calyos is showcasing it at this year's Computex.

The production chassis is designed by France's modding duo WaterMod, which improved upon the original open-frame concept design both in terms of performance and aesthetics. The usage of Phase Change cooling through two cooling blocks - one for the GPU, another for the CPU) makes away with fans, pumps, water, and any other assorted cooling techniques that involve calling upon the decibel gods.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
If there's anyone that can educate this redneck on how this works and why, by all means do.
If you have an opinion (based on expertise that is) regarding its actual efficiency, by all means share that as well :)

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Linus actually previewed this a while back, Oct of 2016 with temperature and sound readings:

This won't be silent, if it's an open case. All kinds of coil whine will especially be audible if your PC is close to you. I really just want to put this thing into a beQuiet case and have a completely silent, no-maintenance PC... But it probably would become too hot in a closed case...

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Thank you my friend, but i wouldn't trust Linus to tell me where the sun rises from :)

Hence my saying someone knowledgeable. Like facts and physics and stuff.
(my thinking is that this cannot possibly be as good as they're hyping it to be, but i may be mistaken, hence my enquiring).

Thank you my friend, but i wouldn't trust Linus to tell me where the sun rises from :)

Hence my saying someone knowledgeable. Like facts and physics and stuff.
(my thinking is that this cannot possibly be as good as they're hyping it to be, but i may be mistaken, hence my enquiring).

wether or not you like linus is not really relevant. Its phasechange cooling. Its not new - just the way its implemented here that is new.

And again, both noise and temp readings are relevant no matter who states them - as long as the method is transparent.

At some point the PC parts should be in a closed case, preferably even a sound dampening one. Then I will practically throw my money at it.

At some point this should be in a closed case, preferably even a sound dampening one. Then I will practically throw my money at it.

Heat needs to be dissapated - that cannot change.

You can move the heat somewhere else (phasechange - be it water, ln2 or others like rifigerators).

What is it exactly you want enclosed? the motherboard? In that case, i think its fairly obvious that i will be enclosed when(if) its released to users. But the radiators can obviously not be enclosed.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Yes, finally something, that will allow me to listen to squeaking VRMs without any obstructions. :)

It will be silent at idle but just like with passive water cooling back when that was popular if you want to use a decent CPU/GPU then you will need to fit the optional fans to prevent overheating at load.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
It will be silent at idle but just like with passive water cooling back when that was popular if you want to use a decent CPU/GPU then you will need to fit the optional fans to prevent overheating at load.

With the sheer size of the heatsink, I'm not sure you'll even need the fans in any case. AND, if you really want to blow air over this, just buy a regular standing 16" fan or something, set it to low and point it at the case. Boom, that's all you need to move air over the fin area.

Heat needs to be dissapated - that cannot change.

You can move the heat somewhere else (phasechange - be it water, ln2 or others like rifigerators).

What is it exactly you want enclosed? the motherboard? In that case, i think its fairly obvious that i will be enclosed when(if) its released to users. But the radiators can obviously not be enclosed.
I changed it to PC parts right after because I knew someone will misinterpret it. And what tells you it's "obviously" going to be enclosed when it comes out? There is absolutely no hint to your statement. It may even not work enclosed at this point, and they are probably not gonna wait to release it until they solve this problem.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The same way a refrigerator works. The evaporator is on the inside and the condenser is on the outside. You're pumping heat out to the room from the container using phase change. If you didn't enclose it you're more likely to have issues with things like condensation and efficiency since the temperature inside of the container can be maintained below ambient temperatures.

All in all, it would work the same way that a refrigerator does. Also, since you're pumping heat (doing work to move thermal energy and not letting it flow naturally,) the difference in temperature between the condenser and ambient will be large enough to let convection do a lot of the necessary heat transfer away from the coil to a point.

Edit: It takes work to move heat against its gradient, hence phase change.

They claim you can run a 6950x with a 1080 Ti completely passive.
So 99% of configurations could be run passive, and it should with that much heat exchanger for roughly 450W of heat. Overclocking might would be limited.

This won't be silent, if it's an open case. All kinds of coil whine will especially be audible if your PC is close to you. I really just want to put this thing into a beQuiet case and have a completely silent, no-maintenance PC... But it probably would become too hot in a closed case...

Take a close look at the pictures, there are no fans. The CPU is fanless and the GPU is fanless. Therefore even though it's an Open case/chassis, it is completely silent.

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
wether or not you like linus is not really relevant. Its phasechange cooling. Its not new - just the way its implemented here that is new

You need to read more and express your personal opinion less. I didn't ask if it's new, i asked if someone can explain it to me, with numbers and laws if/where appliccable.
Also, it's "whether".

edit: see Aquinus's post for example.

With the sheer size of the heatsink, I'm not sure you'll even need the fans in any case.
You will if running high end CPU/GPU hence why they have optional fans. It's essentially the same principle as the Zalman reserator passive water coolers, the passive cooling potential is excellent and will be able to cool any beast at idle, but once the radiators reach their limit and the room temperature gets high things will run away unless actively cooled (NB that does include opening windows).

Take a close look at the pictures, there are no fans. The CPU is fanless and the GPU is fanless. Therefore even though it's an Open case/chassis, it is completely silent.
No, it isn't. Ever heard of coil whine...? Or even the noise that the phase changer may create where the hot components meet with it? Btw. the more you make something red to make your point, the more likely it is to be wrong.

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
If there's anyone that can educate this redneck on how this works and why, by all means do.
If you have an opinion (based on expertise that is) regarding its actual efficiency, by all means share that as well :)

wether or not you like linus is not really relevant. Its phasechange cooling. Its not new - just the way its implemented here that is new.

And again, both noise and temp readings are relevant no matter who states them - as long as the method is transparent.

More precisely, it's loop heat-pipe technology:

http://www.calyos-tm.com/working-principles/
https://www.qats.com/cms/2014/08/04/understanding-loop-heat-pipes/
http://opac.vimaru.edu.vn/edata/E-Journal/2005/Applied thermal engineering/v25su5-6.1.pdf
http://www.thermalfluidscentral.org/e-resources/download.php?id=218

Third link is actually a research paper from one of the inventor's (Yury F Maydanik).

No, it isn't. Ever heard of coil whine...? Or even the noise that the phase changer may create where the hot components meet with it? Btw. the more you make something red to make your point, the more likely it is to be wrong.

NSG - S0 is the perfect combination between performance and silence for gamers and regular users.

Taken from their website see here:

http://www.calyos-tm.com/calyos-nsg-s0-fanless-desktop-pc/

Attachments

• screenshot-www.calyos-tm.com-2017-06-02-11-03-45.png
    screenshot-www.calyos-tm.com-2017-06-02-11-03-45.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 408
    76.6 KB · Views: 426
    76.6 KB · Views: 387
On the noise thing:
Does it really make no noise? NSG S0 is equipped with fanless phase change technology. This means there is no moving parts. Cooling and casing won’t make any noise. But depending on your electronics options, you may hear coil whine or HDD working

Is there any word on pricing or standalone availability of the tower?

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original

Air

Processor AMD Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard B550i AORUS PRO AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D9L
Memory 2 x 16Gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz C16
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1 Tb
Case Ncase M1 V3
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Gold
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z: 655.8 single, 4999.7 multi Cinebench R23: 1563 single, 11275 multi
The same way a refrigerator works. The evaporator is on the inside and the condenser is on the outside. You're pumping heat out to the room from the container using phase change. If you didn't enclose it you're more likely to have issues with things like condensation and efficiency since the temperature inside of the container can be maintained below ambient temperatures.

All in all, it would work the same way that a refrigerator does. Also, since you're pumping heat (doing work to move thermal energy and not letting it flow naturally,) the difference in temperature between the condenser and ambient will be large enough to let convection do a lot of the necessary heat transfer away from the coil to a point.

Edit: It takes work to move heat against its gradient, hence phase change.

A refrigerator works differently. There is no compressor on this thing (thankfully), its not a refrigeration cicle. The flow is not forced.

The case part with the pc parts probably cant be enclosed, or every component other than GPU and CPU will overheat after some time, since they rely on passive cooling.

If you mount some fans on the radiators, it will probably the most powerful water cooled system ever.

Because marketing speak means something... Btw. what I said about red, the same goes for bold.

Also read what Prince Valiant said.

Prince Valiant only proves the point that the Case is Silent. He explaned quite sensibly "Cooling and casing won’t make any noise. But depending on your electronics options, you may hear coil whine or HDD working"

Coil whine does not come from the case, it comes the stuff you put into the case.

Learn to read and comprehend