• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i9-7900X Skylake-X Review Shows Up

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Some of us aren't very comfortable having our CPUs running that damn hot. I get scared when my CPU starts running hotter than 70c.
Ok, this is an exercise in insanity, continuing.

Good luck guys. Enjoy your cool running CPUs while spreading fud and showing ignorance through your opinion on the matter.

D

Deleted member 172152

Ive went over it before in the thread and my previous post (anyone reading them or has this degraded into trolling? Feels like i make points that are missed completely, lol!)...as ive said, ive run chips 100% at close to 90c for YEARS. That doesnt mean some wont fail, but its not even remotely close to the doosmday prophecy about it a few of you have running high temps the silicon is designed for.

For someone that doesnt f@h where cpu is running like that 24/7, in the vast majority of cases, it will easily last well past its warranted life.
Which cpu's though?

Some of us aren't very comfortable having our CPUs running that damn hot. I get scared when my CPU starts running hotter than 70c.
But why does this scare you?
Why do you think 70*C is "hot" for a CPU?

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
But why does this scare you?
Why do you think 70*C is "hot" for a CPU?

I think the problem with that is that the temps inside the case will increase, leading to a temp increase in every component inside of the case. Sure: the CPU can take it easily enough but the rest of components may not have such a high tolerance.

It's the reason why reference GPUs, though generally noisier then AIB GPUs are sometimes preferred: because they expel the hot air directly off the case instead of into the case (to be extracted by case fans afterwards).

As an example: when i play a game for an extended period, my HDD's temps increase by around 8ºC, even though i have a 20 cm intake fan in front of the HDDs and 2 exaust top fans + 1 back exaust fan (all 12 cm). Why? Because my GPU is an AIB one and dumps the hot air inside the case, thus increasing the ambient temp inside the case.

Which cpu's though?
Nehalem(X58) on forward. Sandybridge...Ivybridge...Haswell...Broadwell...Haswell-E...Devil's Canyon...Broadwell-E...Skylake.

Obviously some of those arent past their warranty, but, Im guessing you get the picture.

I think the problem with that is that the temps inside the case will increase, leading to a temp increase in every component inside of the case. Sure: the CPU can take it easily enough but the rest of components may not have such a high tolerance.

It's the reason why reference GPUs, though generally noisier then AIB GPUs are sometimes preferred: because they expel the hot air directly off the case instead of into the case (to be extracted by case fans afterwards).

As an example: when i play a game for an extended period, my HDD's temps increase by around 8ºC, even though i have a 20 cm intake fan in front of the HDDs and 2 exaust top fans + 1 back exaust fan (all 12 cm). Why? Because my GPU is an AIB one and dumps the hot air inside the case, thus increasing the ambient temp inside the case.
True... but big deal! ;)

It's not like those components are going out of their spec either! A few C warmer doesn't hurt most components...

System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
But how long can the chip withstand those temperatures? We've already seen that the cheap shitty TIM that Intel uses in their chips turns to clay after some time due to extreme temperature fluctuations. Eventually the TIM won't be able to conduct the heat properly and you're going to eventually lose the ability to overclock the chip due to the inability to get rid of the heat fast enough. It may be OK for the chip to run at 90c in the short term but in the long term it's going to be very bad news.
Don't worry, it will last more than 4 years running as is, i still have a 4770K that always ran 80+ degrees, still just fine man, these chips are designed for that, don't panic.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Nehalem(X58) on forward. Sandybridge...Ivybridge...Haswell...Broadwell...Haswell-E...Devil's Canyon...Broadwell-E...Skylake.

Obviously some of those arent past their warranty, but, Im guessing you get the picture.

True... but big deal! ;)

It's not like those components are going out of their spec either! A few C warmer doesn't hurt most components...

While true, an increase of over 20% in mechanical HDDs is quite allot.

D

Deleted member 172152

Don't worry, it will last more than 4 years running as is, i still have a 4770K that always ran 80+ degrees, still just fine man, these chips are designed for that, don't panic.
Not quite nigh 100 degrees though is it? Intel paste has always been a slight issue, but now it's a major issue because of the even higher temps, and we're only at 10 cores of the 18!

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

On my ex platform Ivy Bridge paste was under IHS and CPU was much hotter on 4.5GHz than i7-5820K on 4.2GHz.
I compare because they worked on same voltage 1.200V. But hot air from H100 (exhaust) is hotter with i7-5820K than with i7-3770K.
That mean that with thermal paste transfer of heat from CPU to H100 block/liquid/radiator was not well and a lot of heat stayed inside in CPU and H100 was able to remove only small amount of heat 40-50% example compare to 70-80% with i7-5820K. This numbers are not exactly accurate but example... And no matter what you do before change something under IHS or maybe even than you can't get better temps with much expensive coolers, I mean you get better temps but maybe 20C. No way to processor stay 60C on huge ammount of voltage and clock if liquid is cold in some expensive custom loop. Only way is to freeze CPU with LN2 or phase change or dice.

I think that's biggest mistake for X299 thermal paste.
Because some people are confused, they want to OC, but what to do, they remove IHS, and than what, how much paste, how to do that... You need to be far more precise than installatin paste on IHS and CPU block over that. Than questions after installation... Did I done everything nice, maybe die no contact with IHS any more, maybe is to much paste... What will happen if CPU die, people used on Intel OC warranty, to pay 30$ more and OC.

Positive thing is because Intel go with Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 and that mean CPU specification is 4.3 and 4.5GHz and everyone know with such high Turbo space for OC is 200-300MHz.
And many people will not OC, imagine Turbo 3.9 GHz and people try to reach 4.6-4.7GHz with paste.
That would be bad. Intel is not probably so stupid to say Turbo Boost 3.0 if CPU throttle and can't cool down with AIO cooler on fabric Turbo frequency.

From other side Ivy Bridge worked one night and more 15h test on more than 90-90C, he behave like 50C.
Nothing, no problems at all. I can't guarantee that now CPU could work on such high temperatures without throttle.
I didn't OC mine Haswell-X over 4.2GHz because I want to stay on 60-65C and don't want fans on high performance to work on more than 2000 RPM.
It would be bad if people figure out that i9-7900X work on 80C on 4.5GHz. I think they change something, because i7-5960X and i7-6950X are hot as hell on 4.5GHz.
Only people with watercooling and 280mm AIO with good samples are capable to keep on such clock and small voltage, and flux solder help a lot in that case.

While true, an increase of over 20% in mechanical HDDs is quite allot.
Instead of random statements, here is one backed up with data...
Overall, there is not a correlation between operating temperature and failure rates. The one exception is the Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives, which fail slightly more when they run warmer.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/

Not quite nigh 100 degrees though is it? Intel paste has always been a slight issue, but now it's a major issue because of the even higher temps, and we're only at 10 cores of the 18!
NOBODY here is saying run it at 100...Ive said over and over 90C.

I like how you keep repeating the same thing OVER AND OVER without a bit of data to support your thoughts... maybe people will believe it eventually... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: HTC

I like how you keep repeating the same thing OVER AND OVER without a bit of data to support your thoughts... maybe people will believe it eventually... :rolleyes:
Irrelevant, as you're not going to get those backblaze temperatures in your case with a toasty 90C CPU unless you're pushing some serious air. And what if you're using several drives and/or living somewhere with really hot summers.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

My HDDs reached 44ºC: a bit too hot for my liking.

Since then, the ambient temp has increased (expected since we're nearing the Summer): as such, should i game for an extended period, the temps would probably exceed that.

2017-06-18_220820.png

Disregard the 49ºC in the pic: there was something wrong with the temp sensor in the program @ the time.

Irrelevant, as you're not going to get those backblaze temperatures in your case with a toasty 90C CPU unless you're pushing some serious air. And what if you're using several drives and/or living somewhere with really hot summers.
relevent.. no correlation in temps.

If you are using several drives, do something about it cooling wise IF NEEDED.

Everything is to 'people's liking and preference'...which is fine, but still within operating parameters which seems lost. 90c is dubbed 'insane' yet its within operating parameters... 44c hd is too hot for someones liking...but within operating parameters...

I worry when i break those values for extended periods, but here nobody has even hit them. ;)

relevent.. no correlation in temps.

If you are using several drives, do something about it cooling wise IF NEEDED.

Everything is to 'people's liking and preference'...which is fine, but still within operating parameters which seems lost. 90c is dubbed 'insane' yet its within operating parameters... 44c hd is too hot for someones liking...but within operating parameters...

I worry when i break those values for extended periods, but here nobody has even hit them. ;)
Irrelevant, because even the top temperature in their test is way below the point where warning signs pop-up for hard drives (HDD Sentinel says it's 43).

Yeah, do something, like get a CPU that runs cooler/can transfer heat properly.

I've hit 61 while doing a build in the summer with many hard drives. I was still testing stuff with the open case with no case fans mounted and I just forgot to check temperatures.

Relevant.. i dont care what 3rd party software says... read the white papers for the drives for operating temps.

61C... cool.. well, not cool, lol!? I mean, i can fight your side too, but, the reality is, fringe siutations (open air stack of drives no fans) need other methods.. for normal operations though, not so much.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
90c may be within operating parameters but I can't imagine that that's very good for the processor over extended periods of time. Remember, heat is the enemy of electronics. Any time you're running that close to the limits you put undue stress on the components and that shortens the life of the component.

They won't. AMD and Intel CPUs are emitting similar heat, it will result in similar temperature inside the case.
The only advantage you get from soldering is that the heat is transferred quickly from the chip to IHS. That's important for the chip, but fairly irrelevant for everything else inside the case.

Current Intel CPUs run hotter than AMD's (because of TIM), but tolerate much higher temperature as well.

No. It's because of how the airflow looks in your case. :)
Your GPU is pushing a lot of hot air downwards, but - as you've said - the fans in your case suck air in front and push it out in the top-rear part.
Essentially, the hot air from the GPU is first sucked towards the HDDs - hence making them warmer.

Relevant.. i dont care what 3rd party software says... read the white papers for the drives for operating temps.

61C... cool.. well, not cool, lol!? I mean, i can fight your side too, but, the reality is, fringe siutations (open air stack of drives no fans) need other methods.. for normal operations though, not so much.
Yeah, I'll still be sceptical of a study with temperatures nowhere near my own.

61C was just an example to your nobody hits 44 comment. The drive in question is an older one (operating range 0-60C) and does run several degrees hotter than the rest, even when not stacked and with a dedicated fan blowing. During the day it stays at around 43-45 and it hasn't been the hottest of summers. There's some tweaking to be done with the fans and I'll probably have to forego any pretense of silence for now.

Anyway, my point is that every little bit helps, and with paste, they've added another element into the whole cool/silent PC equation just to save a little money on very expensive hardware.

90c may be within operating parameters but I can't imagine that that's very good for the processor over extended periods of time. Remember, heat is the enemy of electronics. Any time you're running that close to the limits you put undue stress on the components and that shortens the life of the component.

How do you know it's "that close to the limits"? It's below the safety threshold - that's all we should care about.

BTW: what's the threshold for Ryzen / Threadripper? I'm looking for the Intel's Tcase analogue.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
They won't. AMD and Intel CPUs are emitting similar heat, it will result in similar temperature inside the case.
The only advantage you get from soldering is that the heat is transferred quickly from the chip to IHS. That's important for the chip, but fairly irrelevant for everything else inside the case.

Current Intel CPUs run hotter than AMD's (because of TIM), but tolerate much higher temperature as well.

No. It's because of how the airflow looks in your case. :)
Your GPU is pushing a lot of hot air downwards, but - as you've said - the fans in your case suck air in front and push it out in the top-rear part.
Essentially, the hot air from the GPU is first sucked towards the HDDs - hence making them warmer.

But the HDDs are between the intake fan and the GPU: how can the air be sucked in the direction of an intake fan? Shouldn't it go in the other direction?

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64

True... but big deal! ;)

Heat output is measured in watts not degrees.

The same cpu running at the same speed and workload will put out the same amount of heat regardless if the cooling system can get it down to 60C or as high as 90C. The difference in degrees between ambient temperature and the die temperature is just a measure of how efficient the cooling system(TIM or solder included) is at removing the heat from the die. Its not a measure of heat output. And thus wont heat the inside of the case any more or less.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
How do you know it's "that close to the limits"? It's below the safety threshold - that's all we should care about.
Historically 100c was the limit at which the chip automatically throttles. Running at 90c under load doesn't leave much room for any error in possible cooling setups. And we're not even talking about AVX instructions that are known to really heat the chip up.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

The same cpu running at the same speed and workload will put out the same amount of heat regardless if the cooling system can get it down to 60C or as high as 90C. The difference in degrees between ambient temperature and the die temperature is just a measure of how efficient the cooling system(TIM or solder included) is at removing the heat from the die. Its not a measure of heat output. And thus wont heat the inside of the case any more or less.
So much this!!!

A 95W CPU running at 100* is going to put out the same heat as a 95W CPU running at 15* (assuming both are consuming 95W/at load).

(Also, 200mm fans are useless in a PC - dunno why so many TPU users are under any other impression)
While this is true, Backblaze's disks, on average, run at a maximum 31*, with a few disks running as high as 38*, so it doesn't really tell us what happens to a disk at >40*

If you look to Google's and Microsoft's results you'll still find little correlation (except at cold temperatures; see links at BB source), but you will see that drives at high temperatures fail sooner than drives at low temperatures in the case of Google, and in Microsoft's case, where drives were allowed to run closer to their operating limit, there's a more obvious correlation at high temperatures.

+1.. tell me something I don't know!!! Great post!

LOLOLOL.. cant take it anymore...

"within operating parameters..."

Can't imagine that's good for the processor...

SAY WHAT?!

Since the temps there were low... here is a wiki article from google's data showing the same trends with higher temps. ;)
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Minimizing_Hard_Disk_Drive_Failure_and_Data_Loss/Environmental_Control

Last edited:
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
OK, let's stick you in the middle of Death Valley with a 140 F temperatures. Sure, humans can survive at higher temperatures so long as we remain hydrated but it will be pushing our systems to the critical point. You won't be a very happy camper. Or if you run an engine at high temperatures, sure the engine can handle the temperatures but eventually the heat will cause metal fatigue and it'll blow itself apart.

I tend to err on the side of caution, I never push things to the breaking point.

Last edited: