• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel X299 Platform Called a "VRM Disaster" by Overclocker der8auer

I agree. It's also sad that now AMD has very competitive products, lets face it, Ryzen CPU's are amazing, they still aren't making good enough traction because of initial quite honestly, flawed reviews and shit taken by the Intel fanboys who still swear to vastly inferior but highly clocked quad cores (like 7700K) just because they posted better scores in games that were essentially specifically written for them. But there is no freaking way in this world that 500-900MHz higher clock can offset a lack of 4 physical cores (and 8 freaking threads!). That's like missing a whole quad core CPU! Ryzen has a tiny clock penalty with single threaded or lower threaded apps and games, but even as things stand now, Ryzen is not far behind. And if you buy CPU for long term and lets face it, we usually do, Ryzen will fare far better for far longer with more moderately clocked octa core than Intel will with higher clocked quad core. Games are already going past 4 cores in usage and it'll just get even worse as time goes on.

All AMD's fault, for turning the markets into a PR deathmatch!

:laugh:

PD: and for delivering amazing stuff and staying undead.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
Board makers didn't fuck up (at least not everything). Intel (and AMD) have to be VERY clear and strict about minimum specs for the VRM. Board makers have to strictly obey that. They can go crazy and overdo the VRM segment of their boards, but they are NOT allowed to go below what Intel or AMD specify for their processors. Only fuck up by the board makers is the fact that Intel has now given them single board that takes anything from crappy quad core up to insane 10 cores. This means VRM needs to be bonkers on all boards even if they'll be primarily bought by budget people for their "high end" quad cores. If board makers try to save things on their own here, that's another thing. It's also possible Intel did fuck up. They can have loads of $ to throw at anything, but rushing things can lead to mistakes even if you have billions to throw around.

Intel's spec sheet for the X series says boards need to handle 73A continuous current draw on VCCIN. If the mobo makers are building for that it's no surprise that the boards can't handle overclocks. The VRMs on X299 should be built to handle around 150-200A 2V continuous(basically they need better cooling) if you plan to max out a 10 core.(imagine what an 18 core will do once OCed:laugh:)

So eager, they released the fastest consumer CPU ever made, on the best HEDT platform ever, with better single core performance than almost every other CPU (except for their own i7-7700K), and did it at a much lower price than the last generation. You call that a trainwreck? I call it brilliant! Granted, they rushed the release by a couple months, and this thinned out the number of motherboards that were available at launch. But are you really heartbroken about that? Were you planning a knee-jerk upgrade from your present X99 rig? I'd wait for the better motherboards, myself, let the platform mature a few months. Are you upset because they run so much faster than X99 CPUs (10-15%), or because they cost so much less (and you feel that you paid too much for your X99 system)? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I really am curious as to why a few reasonable, intelligent people are having such a negative reaction to X299, which seems all out of proportion to any perceived shortcomings. Also, nobody is forcing anyone to buy this platform. I just don't understand your position, except for seeing that it pushed some kind of emotional button in you, not a considered rational response. Okay, it's not perfect - please tell me a better alternative (past, present, or known future).

There is so much wrong with everything you've said I don't even know where to begin. Fortunately I don't have to as Tomorrow has done a damn good job of ripping it apart already.

Seriously, you come across as some sort of paid for Intel shill.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on one guy on the internet nobody has heard of.

I doubt there is a problem with the VRM design, or the heatsinks. Its most likely a very raw, unoptimized bios. These boards were rushed out, motherboard makers didnt have time to optimize the bios and the voltages.

My guess is an updated bios will solve this issue.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on one guy on the internet nobody has heard of.

I doubt there is a problem with the VRM design, or the heatsinks. Its most likely a very raw, unoptimized bios. These boards were rushed out, motherboard makers didnt have time to optimize the bios and the voltages.

Hahahaha, so you've never heard of him, too bad, so sad.

Yeah when was the last time you saw an updated BIOS solve a leakage issue as bad as this ~ https://www.computerbase.de/2017-06/intel-core-i9-7900x-test

It;s almost as bad as the FX 9570/90 except that was on 32nm. The BIOS won;t fix the leakage or high temps, that's dead certain.

You mean der8auer is a guy no one has ever heard of? Talk about suprising statements. Granted not everyone knows him but he's still fairly known and respected by people who keep tabs on overcloking or just general hardware news. He know's what he's talking about. I mean the guy works for (or with) ASUS for god's sake. http://hwbot.org/news/12661_overclocker_focus_roman_hartung_der8auer_interview

Also i'd like to see how they fix bad VRM-s with a BIOS update. The only way to do that is to disable all voltage controls that could affect VRM temperature or maybe even undervolt (tho that would affect stability even at stock speeds). Essentially killing overcloking ability. Then again Intel might fly in and say that people should not overclock their unlocked processors right?

"Jumping to conclusions based on one guy on the internet nobody has heard of..."

I suggest you watch this video taken from ASUS RealBench tool where you'll see one of the worlds most prominent and respected extreme overclockers and extreme modders... You may spot a familiar face and name through the video...

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Seriously you have never heard of one of the Best/world record holder Overclocker

Solved by expensive Board redesign ( No FREE RMA Owners will just have to suck it up) Or new T&C restricting what you can install

My guess is an updated bios will solve this issue
I very much doubt any Bios upgrade will solve anything but the most Trivial faults

Conclusion
Perhaps you should Delete your Ill Informed Opinionated Post ( my Opinion )

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
"We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called ‘de-lidding’). These actions will void the processor warranty.”

Intel already told us guys ...

"We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called ‘de-lidding’). These actions will void the processor warranty.”

Intel already told us guys ...

Yes, correct, Intel told everyone who bought a CPU marketed for overclocking not to overclock it.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
Yes, just for fun fact and cheers up guys...

They need to make functional heatsinks again, like the ones used on the ASUS X99M WS

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Tomorrow wins! :rockout:
If you call negativity a win - all my positive points are valid - depends on your viewpoint, I guess. I'll never understand how people get all bitter and angry because some product is better or worse than some other product, even things they don't own and never will. EVERYTHING is better or worse than something else in some way, so I guess you could be bitter and angry about every aspect of life, if that's how you want to be. I prefer to enjoy life...

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Looks like this is the year of rushed MOBO/platform launches. Can't wait to see what happens with Threadripper and Coffee Lake at this rate.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If you call negativity a win - all my positive points are valid - depends on your viewpoint, I guess. I'll never understand how people get all bitter and angry because some product is better or worse than some other product, even things they don't own and never will. EVERYTHING is better or worse than something else in some way, so I guess you could be bitter and angry about every aspect of life, if that's how you want to be. I prefer to enjoy life...

You have clearly said X299 is the best HEDT platform ever though, on multiple occasions iirc, and you define why it should be regarded as such.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have the prime x299 deluxe... the vrms were warm on top running p95 at stock... didnt check the bottom. I also ran at 4.5ghz, vrms were toasty, but nothing to worry about. This was on an open air bench without direct airflow.

They need to make functional heatsinks again, like the ones used on the ASUS X99M WS
LOL...

Last edited:
Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
CPU segmentiting forcing you to buy atleast a thousand dollar CPU to get the full 44 PCI-E lanes (wich is still 20 short of Threadripper)? Check

Dude you've drank too much of AMD's cool-aid!

7900x paired with x299 will have more PCIe lanes then threadripper.

Threadripper CPU has 48(24x2) PCIe lanes split between two separate dies. The x399 chipset adds another 16 lanes which brings the platform total to 64 lanes. But you also lose 4(or maybe 8, need to do more research) lanes because they are used to connect the cpu to the chipset; so now you are at 60(or 56) usable lanes. Because of how the lanes are spread out between the dies; you can only get 2x full 16x PCIe slots.

The 7900x has 48 lanes minus 4 lanes for the DMI link to the chipset so 44 lanes. Then add the 24 lanes from the chipset and you get 68 total usable lanes.

source

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I dont care if hes a great overclocker, I lost interest in those guys 10 years ago. Im not really interested in unattainable overclocking records that are completely useless other than as marketing for mainboard manufacturers. I've only ever been interested in 24/7 overclocking.

We'll see how it pans out. I doubt all the manufacturers have the same problems with VRM at the same time. Motherboard makers usually choose VRM on their own boards, and for highend boards, they are usually overkill in specs. I dont believe there is a hardware problem, but we'll see.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
No, but seriously:

A top-down cooler should work fine, but who wants to use one of those these days.....besides me...

No, but seriously:

A top-down cooler should work fine, but who wants to use one of those these days.....besides me...

I have a few, like the small Phanteks one, the Raijintek Pallas, but they're not the easiest coolers to mount. They also are more performance limited than most tower coolers.