• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers; Here's How to Disable It

You're missing the point. I never said they didn't implement the feature. What you're implying is that they just mine all of your data and send it to some evil server. Data they collect might also be harmless, like for example what kind of games users have installed (since NV Exp monitors that). As for the driver,it most likely just monitors crashes and similar events. Quite frankly, only small portion of users is willing to go through complicated and lengthy bug reporting, so companies have tod o it on their own using telemetry and automated bug/crash report systems.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I never implied any server was "Evil" - The very fact they even wrote the software itself for any means should say it all.

Data like this can be collected for such purposes as you pointed out, we also know having such access to one's data can be used for a more nefarious purpose too. They didn't create it to be ignored, wasted or anything else except to be used for the purpose it was created for period. We also know how security matters to some of these companies, hackers have proven time and time again the security many of these have isn't all that if it even exists at all for info about the folks they gather info on.

If talking about a company's private info you'd better believe that's locked down tight and they'll spend any amount needed to keep it that way if they can.

Also the statement of whatever data they get may be harmless doesn't make me feel any better about it either, with that being said you've opened the door to the counter arguement of it being possible and we know human nature, if something can be exploited it will, esp when money is involved. Human nature is consistent in that way and all it takes is just one company, group or even an individual to make bad things happen. You know, if these guys were open about their info being gathered from us like they get ours I guess it woudn't be so bad..... However do try it sometime and see what you get.

It's the same basic concept as if you were in a dressing room with a one-way observation mirror and you're on the blind side of it.
You may be OK with that and that's your choice but I"m not.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
You're missing the point. I never said they didn't implement the feature. What you're implying is that they just mine all of your data and send it to some evil server. Data they collect might also be harmless, like for example what kind of games users have installed (since NV Exp monitors that). As for the driver,it most likely just monitors crashes and similar events. Quite frankly, only small portion of users is willing to go through complicated and lengthy bug reporting, so companies have tod o it on their own using telemetry and automated bug/crash report systems.
No, you're missing the point. It's none of their flipping business. Period.

No, you're missing the point. It's none of their flipping business. Period.

Lol, it sure f**king is. If you're getting BSOD's, will you go the length of doing a detailed report to NVIDIA or you'll just come to forum and take a piss at NVIDIA for having problems. Now extrapolate that to dumb masses. Yeah, it sure is their business. Without telemetry and crash reports, they'd have much worse service and products. Also, read the EULA. I'm pretty sure it mentions all this.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I agree , these things have gotten so complicated it's impossible for these companies to fix issues in a reliable way without data collected through drivers.

Go ahead and turn it off , but don't complain when you get shitty drivers. If they don't know how their hardware and software functions in the hands of users they can't provide good support.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Lol, it sure f**king is. If you're getting BSOD's, will you go the length of doing a detailed report to NVIDIA or you'll just come to forum and take a piss at NVIDIA for having problems. Now extrapolate that to dumb masses. Yeah, it sure is their business. Without telemetry and crash reports, they'd have much worse service and products. Also, read the EULA. I'm pretty sure it mentions all this.
LoL it's sure f***ing not, especially not when they're exposing that data to their partner businesses.

We're just going to disagree on this. You think its fine for a company to collect mass quantities of data, related and unrelated, to their hardware from a personal computer. I don't. I'll not change your mind, you'll not change mind. All done.

Well, you've agreed to EULA so, that's actually your fault if you've done it blindly. Yeah, I know it sucks, but that's how it is and how it works with the laws. If you don't trust them, use competition that doesn't do that. AMD doesn't afaik, but you keep on seeing people bitching how their driver suck. Do you see the connection? Why do you think Windows 10 is generally by far the most stable OS since launch? If Windows Vista had same telemetry and "data mining", it would be far better, you can be assured of that. People don't realize how important feedback is when you have so many configurations to deal with.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well, you've agreed to EULA so, that's actually your fault if you've done it blindly. Yeah, I know it sucks, but that's how it is and how it works with the laws. If you don't trust them, use competition that doesn't do that. AMD doesn't afaik, but you keep on seeing people bitching how their driver suck. Do you see the connection? Why do you think Windows 10 is generally by far the most stable OS since launch? If Windows Vista had same telemetry and "data mining", it would be far better, you can be assured of that. People don't realize how important feedback is when you have so many configurations to deal with.

An EULA isn't worth jack shit vs common law.