• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial On Intel's Decision to no Longer Disclose All-core Turbo

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Intel is no longer going to disclose all-core Turbo Boost speeds, starting with their 8th Gen Coffee Lake processors that have just been released. The information comes straight from the blue giant. Answering a query from ExtremeTech on the matter, the company said that "[W]e're no longer disclosing this level of detail as its proprietary to Intel. Intel only specifies processor frequencies for base and single-core Turbo in our processor marketing and technical collateral, such as ARK, and not the multi-core Turbo frequencies. We're aligning communications to be consistent. All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads."

This decision is a rollback that does little more than rob users of another data point that has really always been there. The practical effect of this change isn't anything to write home about: Intel's Turbo Boost capabilities were never guaranteed performance levels (the fact that the advertised Turbo speeds were called "Max Turbo" implied Turbo levels could be lower.) However, there's also not much that can be said to explain this change in stance from the blue giant. If anything, this decision only opens up debate and speculation regarding the reasons why Intel is making this change: and the skeptics among us will always default to foul play or dark linings.

To our Forum dwellers: this piece is marked as an Editorial

For one, it could be said that Intel is doing this in order to unlock a lot more leeway in CPU binning. Absent all-core turbo speeds means that Intel now only has to guarantee two levels of performance for each of its chips: all-core base clocks (which for the 8700K, for example, is set at 3.7 GHz), and single-core Turbo (a more impressive 4.7 GHz). These are the only frequencies Intel now has to make sure all of their 8700K chips hit. This gives a whole new weight to the "silicon lottery" concept, in that now users can be saddled with the most basic 8700K that only achieves an all-core clock of just 3.7 GHz and not a switch more, or an amazing chip that hits 5.3 GHz easily.

Pore over Intel's ARK page, and now the 8700K processor is being listed as having a max Turbo frequency of 4.7 GHz - but that one frequency only really applies to single-core Turbo. So not only do Intel CPUs now look better to the unwary, distracted user (what, max 4.7 GHz on six cores, that's insane), but now there's also the chance of something like this happening: "So what if your unlocked K processor doesn't overclock a single MHz on all cores? We don't really specify it should be able to, do we?"

To add to the confusion, it's also worth mentioning the "MultiCore Enhancement" option that most Intel motherboards ship with, which when enabled, overrides even Intel's previous maximum all-core Turbo Boost specs. Now, even if users and reviewers disable the option to find out what's Intel's rated (and now hidden) max Turbo Boost for any given processor, there's no guarantee that the frequencies achieved will be the same for all processors of the same product name. After all, different OC potential exists among chips according to die quality - and the fact that most motherboards now feature CPU voltages set on Auto should add to this scenario, with some CPUs requiring lower voltages to achieve higher clockspeeds than others, which theoretically, should mean different auto Turbo limits according to power consumption and thermal headroom. At the extreme of this situation, it might be impossible for reviewers to achieve parity on CPU reviews absent of disabling all-core Turbo features, since there won't be a baseline value they can consider: CPUs will be reviewed with all-core Turbos that are dependent on CPU quality and automated Turbo Boost. Unless all tech review sites agree on a globally accepted all-core Turbo speed, but that's slightly utopian, at the very least.

Skepticism aside, the main issue here, I feel, is that the decision was made without any clear focus or mention as to why. Now yes, Intel might not have any shady reason for doing this - but nevertheless, there is a reason behind this decision; otherwise, the company just wouldn't make the move. All of the above scenarios are result of one thing only: the absence of clear communication, which ends up with users scratching their heads at a seemingly opaque decision.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why would this give Intel more leeway in binning? Those speeds were never guarantees to begin with, only a maximum cap. The only thing that seems to have changed is that we won't know maximums until after release, and not before.

-edit-

Unless you were theorizing per-chip maximums. If so, then I see your point. Seems far-fetched, but I wouln't put anything past {insert major company name here}.

Last edited:

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I Can See Intel issuing DMCA Take down notice's for hardware Sites that Test and then Publish such results for CPU Core Speeds that Differ in the information Intel now Chose to make public :(

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Good editorial, i think you raised all the pertinent information in an unbiased and fair way.
I would not call the move shadey but i would call the lack of reason or info shadey as is the less obvious though noted review stability across site's.
Did some have what ill call mobo overide boost on (multicore enhancement) , not officially supported by intel hence skewing its performance.
Forget the competition in this as it's irrelevant.
We all know how confusing intels sockets and chip lineup is now and that's an enthusiast community, average Joe's are definitely being smoke and mirrored by intel on a regular basis these days.

By that i mean i expect a few will swap 7700k or ryzen 7 for this expecting far more then they will really get ,not knowing as much as tpu community and all.

And time and again intel are not being realistic to customers about cooling requirements or throttle response, many will take intels 5ghz on air pr and melt some stuff not realising or be on here moaning about getting a 240 aio(at best) only to see high temps still.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Those Turbo speeds are downright deceptive. People are going to expecting the CPU to boost an additional 1 GHz or more when in reality only a small selection of Coffee lake CPUs will be able to do that on a great motherboard and with a great cooler. For everyone who doesn't get a cherry picked chip, you are going to be getting far less performance than Intel is advertising.

Adored did a video on MCE, showing that there is a large delta in the performance of the exact same chip between reviewers on just the stock settings.

Those Turbo speeds are downright deceptive. People are going to expecting the CPU to boost an additional 1 GHz or more when in reality only a small selection of Coffee lake CPUs will be able to do that on a great motherboard and with a great cooler. For everyone who doesn't get a cherry picked chip, you are going to be getting far less performance than Intel is advertising.

Adored did a video on MCE, showing that there is a large delta in the performance of the exact same chip between reviewers on just the stock settings.
I wouldn't go that far but yes the MCE turbos are highly deceptive, there should be like a double asterisk in there warning potential buyers.

ppn

the 2500K I tested was outputting exactly 85 watts in Lin-pack+AVX all cores at 3.3 GHz, according to spec 95 is the iGPU included, but the IA cores alone are limited to 85 W unless specified otherwise on unlocked motherboard. so it was not exactly sustaining that 3.4 boost, but 3.3 sitting at the base clock because the higher the temperature the power is also raising with just few watts per few degrees to hit the 85 watts limit. So it is perfectly fine to state that officially. But with 65 watt 12 thread 8700 CPU now may no longer be the case, so basically they are saying that according to the load the all core frequency may be less than what the upper limit is in AVX at least.

Last edited:
All Turbo frequencies are opportunistic given their dependency on system configuration and workloads.

It's amazing how you solved the whole dilemma in one sentence, yet chose to ignore this resolution.

Yes, multicore turbo clocks cannot be guaranteed because some people run heavy AVX2 code which makes the CPU consume the most power, vs. some very light integer loads which don't stress the CPU as much.

Between these two scenarios there's a huge difference in power consumption and power constraints which means that it's become meaningless to specify turbo clocks for more than a single core due to the increased number of cores which have very little room to dissipate heat.

Raging about turbo speeds is kinda funny to me. Have you seen how much quicker the i5 8400 actually runs? 3800 all-core, that's nothing to complain about. When i've heard of its frequencies i could think it runs on maybe 3400.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
same intel crap

I Can See Intel issuing DMCA Take down notice's for hardware Sites that Test and then Publish such results for CPU Core Speeds that Differ in the information Intel now Chose to make public :(

Good editorial, i think you raised all the pertinent information in an unbiased and fair way.
I would not call the move shadey but i would call the lack of reason or info shadey as is the less obvious though noted review stability across site's.
Did some have what ill call mobo overide boost on (multicore enhancement) , not officially supported by intel hence skewing its performance.
Forget the competition in this as it's irrelevant.
We all know how confusing intels sockets and chip lineup is now and that's an enthusiast community, average Joe's are definitely being smoke and mirrored by intel on a regular basis these days.

By that i mean i expect a few will swap 7700k or ryzen 7 for this expecting far more then they will really get ,not knowing as much as tpu community and all.

And time and again intel are not being realistic to customers about cooling requirements or throttle response, many will take intels 5ghz on air pr and melt some stuff not realising or be on here moaning about getting a 240 aio(at best) only to see high temps still.

The thing I see with Intel on this is they got spooked by AMD,

Bear in mind their automatic overclocking called turbocore whether single or multicore still depends on how well cooled a chip is. That tells me at a certain ambient temp with the stock cooler the cpu will reach a certain core speed, where as a better cooler may make it go further, and it depends on what motherboard you use.

Also chip lotto still plays big as it did with mine as most 8350s need water to break 5.0GHz on all cores where as mine doesn't.

Intel is just trying to lock down IP to prevent AMD from getting an Upperhand since they had a considerable jump in Core counts with threads and clock speeds that are amazing across the board.

Honestly this affects the average joe more so than the old school overclocker.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Question.

Let's say that I am buying a six core 8700 after reading TPU's review where the reviewer says that he observed the processor running at up to 4.3GHz with all cores. 4.3GHz is great and probably enough to make you ignore the extra potential of the K model and also make the CPU looking better compared to a Ryzen 7.

What happens if the reviewer's CPU was a golden sample? What if my CPU can't go higher than 4.0GHz with all cores?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
World of electronics=ymmv.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I don't see the problem tbh. They sell a product on the basis it has a base clock of 'x' and a top single core boost of 'y'.
Nobody is being cheated. The Ryzen chips are the exact same. It seems common sense to control quality when the processes get harder to master.
If we want to talk about overclocking on all cores then that's what enthusiasts get to play with. I don't get the fuss, they tell us a number yet we want another certainty. My 3930k didn't have any of that stuff going on.
It is a silicon lottery. There's only so much a company can guarantee on quality control.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I don't see the problem tbh. They sell a product on the basis it has a base clock of 'x' and a top single core boost of 'y'.
Nobody is being cheated. The Ryzen chips are the exact same. It seems common sense to control quality when the processes get harder to master.
If we want to talk about overclocking on all cores then that's what enthusiasts get to play with. I don't get the fuss, they tell us a number yet we want another certainty. My 3930k didn't have any of that stuff going on.
It is a silicon lottery. There's only so much a company can guarantee on quality control.

I guess I just never cared about Turbo Core because it was a function introduced in the 90s.

I wonder how much of a different reaction this was to get if AMD had said this before Intel ever did...

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Single core max turbo for the i7 8700K is 4.7GHz, not 4.3GHz as the article states.

The reason behind this move is a fairly easy one to understand. If we take, for example, the 18 core CPU, it has a lot of intermediary frequencies depending on the number of cores being taxed at a certain time: 4.2GHz for 2 cores, 4.0GHz for 4 cores, 3.9GHz for 12 cores, 3.5GHz for 16 cores and 3.4GHz for 18 cores. And the maximum turbo clock is 4.4GHz. The sad thing is that this is a fact known by very few. These are consumer parts, and consumer workloads vary a lot, and consumer software is, for the most part, VERY poorly optimised. In most cases we're lucky if we're using 4 to 6 cores. So, the all core turbo becomes less important than certain intermediary turbo levels.

Another reason would be configurable TDP levels via the UEFI BIOS. Large system integrators will set different TDP levels depending on their designs (power/cooling). Something that will be invisible to the user, but will affect all the intermediate turbo levels, rendering them irrelevant.

As for the consumer boards out there, I know that at least ASUS ignores the all core turbo, since their MCE (multi core enhancement) makes the single core max turbo effectively the all core turbo. Other manufacturers also do this. Gigabyte doesn't, but it's going to, soon, if they want to stay competitive.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
but now there's also the chance of something like this happening: "So what if your unlocked K processor doesn't overclock a single MHz on all cores? We don't really specify it should be able to, do we?"
lol, theres no chance of that.

Theres already a big thread discussing this.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
lol, theres no chance of that.

Theres already a big thread discussing this.
Yes but there's plenty of chance of people overdoing their Oc (which Mce is) without adequate cooling, and then complaining about throttling.
Because if a game uses all cores plus Avx and isn't cooled beyond its thermal output it's going to throttle badly , and on odd cores ie per core ,which won't be pretty.
People need to do their homework already buying intel , it's just nicer to have all the info , and nicer still when it's sound info, bar TPU's (methods fine guys educated) review id be unsure of others methods.

System Name Frankenstin 2.0, Alienware X17 R2
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4400mhz, 1,248v fixed
Motherboard Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Swiftech Apogee drive 2 + XSPC x360 + generic GPU Waterblock
Memory 32Gb G.skill 3200 cl16
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX Vega 56, Custom watercooling - @ 64 mod
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung LC27JG500
Case Thermaltake Core G3
Audio Device(s) Integrated + Denon AVR 2800
Power Supply Enermax Revolution SFX 650w
Mouse Trust GXT 152
Keyboard Logitech G413
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
So Intel is bothered about binning and wants higher yelds for its chips...

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
You're damn right, I wonder if this has anything to do with MCE :confused:

It's quite likely they wanna have their cake & eat it too i.e. pretend that their CPU's are 95W/65W TDP & have them OC right out of the gate, unfairly skewing many reviews in their favor.

I had watched that earlier today, it all boils down to deception and greed.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
It's more about the i5 8400, it can have wildly different quality, reaching 3800 Turbo on all core or way less, maybe just 3200, who knows. Basically this change in policies at Intel gives them the right to not give away any information on All Turbo Core, which means, they are not guaranteeing anything, which then means, the quality of a i5 8400 you're buying will wildly vary. This is not much of an problem on "K" SKUs but on locked chips like the i5 8400 or i7 8700. You have a bad chip that's only doing 3400 on all core's? You're out of luck. On an i7 8700K you could then always overclock it by hand and force higher clocks, ignoring TDP limits. The i5 8400 can't do that, it will try to stay under 65W TDP always, and if your chip has low quality, that also means it will not reach 3800 MHz, it will be much slower. People thought the i5 8400 is a nice buy, seeing those initial reviews on the net "oh wow, it boost to 3,8 GHz, that's great for such a cheap CPU and it has 6 cores!" - but those were golden samples probably hand picked by Intel to reach high turbo clocks under a low 65W TDP. I bet most chips won't do that. Essentially that means, you're getting deceived.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It's more about the i5 8400, it can have wildly different quality, reaching 3800 Turbo on all core or way less, maybe just 3200, who knows. Basically this change in policies at Intel gives them the right to not give away any information on All Turbo Core, which means, they are not guaranteeing anything, which then means, the quality of a i5 8400 you're buying will wildly vary. This is not much of an problem on "K" SKUs but on locked chips like the i5 8400 or i7 8700. You have a bad chip that's only doing 3400 on all core's? You're out of luck. On an i7 8700K you could then always overclock it by hand and force higher clocks, ignoring TDP limits. The i5 8400 can't do that, it will try to stay under 65W TDP always, and if your chip has low quality, that also means it will not reach 3800 MHz, it will be much slower. People thought the i5 8400 is a nice buy, seeing those initial reviews on the net "oh wow, it boost to 3,8 GHz, that's great for such a cheap CPU and it has 6 cores!" - but those were golden samples probably hand picked by Intel to reach high clocks under a low 65W TDP. I bet most chips won't do that. Essentially that means, you're getting deceived.

It just allows them to sell them at higher price based upon their base clock, without having to bin chips lower based upon turbo...

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
It just allows them to sell them at higher price based upon their base clock, without having to bin chips lower based upon turbo...
You can call it whatever you want. For me the situation is clear. These chips get great reviews but great reviews based on "Enhancement" modes in bios and hand picked samples. In the end, you think the CPU will be great and when you buy it it's much worse, especially when you're not buying a board that will increase its turbo clocks that much because it has no enhancement mode.

Wake up, Intel is after all Intel. Don't think for an second they're not doing this with full intent on deceiving customers. It's a smart in-direct deception, but still, it is one.