• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Forces Shut-Down of Fan-Run Servers for no Longer Supported Battlefield Games

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Electronic Arts, who on their company's "vision" says that they "value being a generous company and community member", have brought about the demise of fan-run servers for some older, no longer supported Battlefield games. The games in question - Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and Battlefield Heroes - had their multiplayer components shut down with the demise of GameSpy, and were being maintained by a fan coalition named Revive Network.

"We will get right to the point: Electronic Arts Inc.' legal team has contacted us and nicely asked us to stop distributing and using their intellectual property," the Revive Network team wrote. "As diehard fans of the franchise, we will respect these stipulations." Revive Network were distributing modified versions of the older Battlefield titles along with a launcher that allowed access to its own, rewritten server infrastructure - and this seems to be the reaon why EA sought closure. "Please stop distributing copies of our game clients and using our trademarks, logos, and artwork on your sites," EA's counsel wrote. "Your websites may easily mislead visitors to believe that you are associated or affiliated with EA-we're the only ones that get to wear the 'Official EA' dog tag."

It's one of those age-old facts: when servers for games that have a strong multiplayer experience - which may even be the games' focus - shut down, there's just no way players can actually play the game they paid for. This is an issue that has reared its head every now and then; sometimes, users themselves join up in crating fan-run servers that allow for those canned multiplayer experiences to thrive, letting users keep enjoying their spent money in ways that the companies themselves no longer see fit to support.

This time, like Blizzard has done before with World of Warcraft, EA has taken the stance of asking the managers of these unofficial servers to shut down their service. Revive Network started this revival process with Battlefield 2 in 2014, expanded its efforts to Battlefield 2142 last year, and had just created the server infrastructure for Battlefield Heroes a few months ago. Revive claimed over 900,000 registered accounts across its games, including nearly 175,000 players for the recently revived Battlefield Heroes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
EA keeps on Shooting themselves in the foot like Ubisoft, Call of Duty Anyone?

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
No one wins from this.

The EA way.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I wonder if we will see a revival of classic games that never had vendor-hosted servers. There are quite a few old games that, despite being graphically inferior to modern titles, were really quite fun and balanced, and players/fans could even make their own mods and multiplayer maps with no takedown issues whatsoever, and you could host your own servers with ease.

I get that making games today is a huge investment, but there should be some sort of balance that allows fans to continue to enjoy a title, especially since future titles often tweak the MP balance. With EA, even the DLC becomes unavailable over time. It just seems odd that a company is willing to essentially run their creations and effort into the ground through scheduled obsolescence.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I wonder if we will see a revival of classic games that never had vendor-hosted servers. There are quite a few old games that, despite being graphically inferior to modern titles, were really quite fun and balanced, and players/fans could even make their own mods and multiplayer maps with no takedown issues whatsoever, and you could host your own servers with ease.

I get that making games today is a huge investment, but there should be some sort of balance that allows fans to continue to enjoy a title, especially since future titles often tweak the MP balance. With EA, even the DLC becomes unavailable over time. It just seems odd that a company is willing to essentially run their creations and effort into the ground through scheduled obsolescence.

It makes games more retarded than every single other entertainment industry...even at their most wasteful.

The only thing I buy from EA these days is Battlefield game here and there and Need for Speed. And this last one basically just because it's the frigging ONLY half decent racing game with cops and stuff. They just don't release anything good and their business practices are in the shitter for quite a while. Might come to a point I won't buy anything from them out of principle just like I don't from Ubisoft.

I mean, on one end you have dumb suit run corporations like EA and Ubisoft and on the other we have companies like CD Project Red. One values and supports the customers and fans, the other ones is desperately trying to piss everyone off. We know who this last one is in a thread talking about EA. I mean, it's not like this game was eating up into their brand new Battlefield franchise. If people wanted to play it, they would. Clearly, they are not interested and they instead prefer the old franchise. Instead of EA jumping on it and saying, hey guys, lets make a small EA branch of such community folks who would maintain old titles like this with maybe tiny help from EA here and there to up the reputation and good will among people, nope, lets take a massive dump on all of them. That tells a lot how much we're worth. I know companies exist to make money, but there are companies who liek the money and value you a a customer and there are others for which you're just a number which makes more numbers with $ in front. That's EA.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The only thing I buy from EA these days is Battlefield game here and there and Need for Speed. And this last one basically just because it's the frigging ONLY half decent racing game with cops and stuff. They just don't release anything good and their business practices are in the shitter for quite a while. Might come to a point I won't buy anything from them out of principle just like I don't from Ubisoft.

I just don't like that Ubi keeps releasing a lot of open world stuff... and it has nothing to do with disliking open worlds. Rockstar and Bethesda are still fun to me. Ubi just sucks at it. They're not nearly as bad as EA though. And they still make fun smaller games. Just not AAA ones. Trials, South Park, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light.

I also wish they'd drop AC already and bring back Prince of Persia. That had way more going for it (setting wise and gameplay wise).

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I was suppose to get a special set of dog tags from EA a contest back during BFBC2 that I never got. How about you follow through on something EA.

I mean, on one end you have dumb suit run corporations like EA and Ubisoft and on the other we have companies like CD Project Red. One values and supports the customers and fans, the other ones is desperately trying to piss everyone off. We know who this last one is in a thread talking about EA. I mean, it's not like this game was eating up into their brand new Battlefield franchise. If people wanted to play it, they would. Clearly, they are not interested and they instead prefer the old franchise. Instead of EA jumping on it and saying, hey guys, lets make a small EA branch of such community folks who would maintain old titles like this with maybe tiny help from EA here and there to up the reputation and good will among people, nope, lets take a massive dump on all of them. That tells a lot how much we're worth. I know companies exist to make money, but there are companies who liek the money and value you a a customer and there are others for which you're just a number which makes more numbers with $ in front. That's EA.
pretty much. I dont recall the last EA game I even bought lol. It has been ages. I refuse to buy UBISoft or any game that has 3rd party DRM or activation limits. Rockstar is another example of a game i refuse to buy since GTA4 isn't even playable without downloading work arounds, which is actually illegal according to library of congress to leave DRM unsupported.

I wanted to play GTA4 so bad but returned it for refund on steam once i realized the stupid DRM. They sell an actual broken game on steam....i hate valve as well for not taking it down and refunding all customers and keeping companies accountable! :shadedshu::banghead:

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
pretty much. I dont recall the last EA game I even bought lol. It has been ages. I refuse to buy UBISoft or any game that has 3rd party DRM or activation limits. Rockstar is another example of a game i refuse to buy since GTA4 isn't even playable without downloading work arounds, which is actually illegal according to library of congress to leave DRM unsupported.

I wanted to play GTA4 so bad but returned it for refund on steam once i realized the stupid DRM. They sell an actual broken game on steam....i hate valve as well for not taking it down and refunding all customers and keeping companies accountable! :shadedshu::banghead:

I have a few broken games on Steam, but if you look, there are usually workarounds. For example, Fallout 3 used the old Windows Live system.. so you've got to use a custom app to disable it.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

My last purchase was Rory McIroy PGA Tour on XboxOne. It was a joke of a game compared to previous editions. The game was buggy, a realistic career mode and other game modes went away, and they ditched August National. Yeah, they added a few courses over time for free, but this game was only a graphics upgrade. Everything else was a regression, and there hasn't been a followup to this game in over 2 years. It's the only PGA title available on the current generation of consoles. With this lack of effort, it's gotten easy to ignore EA.

Well, BF4 was last thing I got from them. By looks of it, last thing forever.

They are on my blacklist. Included are also Ubisoft and Blizzard-Activision.

But its their choice and ppl choice. If ppl want crap, well go on, buy it.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Oh wow, a nice big FUCK YOU from me to you, EA. Sure GameSpy went down, but that was tolerable. Things don't last forever. But now you go and forcefully shut down fan run servers which appeared as a result of GameSpy shutting down. These people provided a way for people to continue enjoying the game they paid good money for and you went and killed it.

Bunch of assholes... I don't think I could ever buy another EA game ever again.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
My last purchase was Rory McIroy PGA Tour on XboxOne. It was a joke of a game compared to previous editions. The game was buggy, a realistic career mode and other game modes went away, and they ditched August National. Yeah, they added a few courses over time for free, but this game was only a graphics upgrade. Everything else was a regression, and there hasn't been a followup to this game in over 2 years. It's the only PGA title available on the current generation of consoles. With this lack of effort, it's gotten easy to ignore EA.

Hah.. it appears Tiger Woods even dragged EA down with him.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
The last EA game i bought from them was Bad Company 2, I dont even have a origin account lol

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The last EA game i bought from them was Bad Company 2, I dont even have a origin account lol

I have one, just because I was a Bioware fanboy.

But it's for that reason I hate them too.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Asshole of the year award goes too...

Honestly. Bf1942, BF2, and 2142 are old games, they are old but they are loved by the community.

Who cares if people are mislead with such old games? Its not like they made a multiplayer patcher for BC2, bf3 or bf4. People love the games and EA rather then nurture a community that grew from one of their games has decided to kill it.

Why not just block all registered and unregistered BF2 game keys to stop people trying to play their damn game?

Its not hurting game sales so why shut down something that the community made out of love and dedication?

What a bunch of wankers

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
They could have gone the Unreal 3 way: release a patch allowing creating and joining customs servers and let the community do the rest. If Epic can do it for a single game, EA can do for his entire franchise, almost a million users is not something to scoff at.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Asshole of the year award goes too...

Honestly. Bf1942, BF2, and 2142 are old games, they are old but they are loved by the community.

Who cares if people are mislead with such old games? Its not like they made a multiplayer patcher for BC2, bf3 or bf4. People love the games and EA rather then nurture a community that grew from one of their games has decided to kill it.

Why not just block all registered and unregistered BF2 game keys to stop people trying to play their damn game?

Its not hurting game sales so why shut down something that the community made out of love and dedication?

What a bunch of wankers

Apparently the crux of the issue was that they were distributing the entire game, so you could play the game for free, never having paid anything for it. However, these are (mostly) very old games, weighing in at 10 years old or more, and I don't even see where you can buy them anymore, outside of ebay. Of course, such copies are more than likely pre owned, so it's not like EA is getting kickbacks on those sales either.

The games have run their course, there's nothing EA stands to gain from having them around anymore, and that, I think, is why EA is knocking them down. They don't want people to play them anymore. They want people to buy the new games instead. The thing is, most people playing those games likely bought the new ones already or wouldn't buy the new ones anyway because they don't like them. This isn't going to generate any sales for them, it's just a total dick move.

I have a few broken games on Steam, but if you look, there are usually workarounds. For example, Fallout 3 used the old Windows Live system.. so you've got to use a custom app to disable it.
thats my point...i refuse to buy those games that are broken.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
EA is hoping to force users to buy new games, and trying to do so in the most PR way possible so they can have some deniability, claiming its more about "official WA" than about the users experience and discouraging users from trying to play older titles.

In short, Fuck EA.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Apparently the crux of the issue was that they were distributing the entire game, so you could play the game for free, never having paid anything for it. However, these are (mostly) very old games, weighing in at 10 years old or more, and I don't even see where you can buy them anymore, outside of ebay. Of course, such copies are more than likely pre owned, so it's not like EA is getting kickbacks on those sales either.

The games have run their course, there's nothing EA stands to gain from having them around anymore, and that, I think, is why EA is knocking them down. They don't want people to play them anymore. They want people to buy the new games instead. The thing is, most people playing those games likely bought the new ones already or wouldn't buy the new ones anyway because they don't like them. This isn't going to generate any sales for them, it's just a total dick move.

They seemingly have little clue on how to capitalize on anything they own.

Maybe some exceptions, but I'm not even sure of that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
They seemingly have little clue on how to capitalize on anything they own.

Maybe some exceptions, but I'm not even sure of that.

One exception:

They somehow, to this day, still have Ultima Online running and alive. Old subscribers are actually returning for things like their new client. It's terrifying, because it's so not the EA I'm used to seeing... and it's for a game from the 90s.

I think EA is just so backwards they don't know up from down at this point.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
did nobody fawking read the notice
it wasn't even a cnd

it was a very polite notice(for ea anyway) asking them to NOT distribute the game files they made no mention or demand they cease running there servers

I don't even think the revive team members read it

the only game affected by this is heros. and thats only because the game files are not available for though other channels