• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

High-Speed Broadband Internet to Become a Legal Right for UK Citizens by 2020

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020. This is the speed that Ofcom, the independent regulator, says is needed to meet the requirements of an average family. After careful consideration the government has decided that regulation is the best way of making sure everyone in the UK can get a decent broadband connection of at least 10 Mbps as soon as possible.

Following the creation of new powers when the Government passed the Digital Economy Act 2017, we launched our consultation on the design of the regulatory USO in the summer. The Government will now set out the design for a legal right to high speed broadband in secondary legislation early next year, alongside our detailed response to the consultation.

Ofcom's implementation is expected to take two years from when we lay secondary legislation, meeting the Government's commitment of giving everyone access to high speed broadband by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did not feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory USO off the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's proposal in favor of providing a legal right to broadband.

The government believes that only a regulatory USO offers sufficient certainty and the legal enforceability that is required to ensure high speed broadband access for the whole of the UK by 2020. However, we welcome BT's continued investment to deliver broadband to all parts of the UK.

Culture Secretary Karen Bradley said:
"We know how important broadband is to homes and businesses and we want everyone to benefit from a fast and reliable connection. We are grateful to BT for their proposal but have decided that only a regulatory approach will make high speed broadband a reality for everyone in the UK, regardless of where they live or work."

"This is all part of our work on ensuring that Britain's telecoms infrastructure is fit for the future and will continue to deliver the connectivity that consumers need in the digital age."

This regulatory approach also brings a number of other advantages for the consumer:
  • the minimum speed of connection can be increased over time as consumers' connectivity requirements evolve;
  • it provides for greater enforcement to help ensure households and businesses do get connected
  • the scheme will maximize the provision of fixed line connections in the hardest to reach areas.
  • places a legal requirement for high speed broadband to be provided to anyone requesting it, subject to a cost threshold (in the same way the universal service right to a landline telephone works)

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I believe similar acts are being prepared in other countries. Not a huge surprise, really.
Basically, you don't even need a separate act for this. Most countries already have some sort of document that specifies a minimal standard for a flat/house: area, height, access to water/sun/air, heating and so on.

At the same time there's also the matter of fast wireless internet coverage. I believe that by early 2020s' whole EU area (excluding mountains above some threshold) will have to be covered by fairly strong 4G signal. Some countries are almost there, but other are far from it.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
After FCC killed off net neutrality, this is a nice move by UK to reassure they won't go same route as US.

Our current administration is an abomination. With mergers of ISP's with content companies, it's only a matter of time before the ISP's start throttling or outright banning content from other content providers here in the US. In other words, our government just wrote them a blank check. "Sorry you can't watch Netflix through Comcast, but you CAN watch Comcast-Flix! " The other scenario is Comcast strong-arming content providers like Netflix to pay huge $ to get their content through at reasonable speeds. Guess what? We (the consumer) will end up paying for it in the end.

That EXACT thing happened with Cable TV when it was deregulated about 2 decades ago. Mark this post.

The Obama administration argued that the internet is considered a public utility. And it has become just that.

System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
We are just getting wireless internet in my area not going for Comcast or Cox crap also there's talks in the work for Verizon 5g internet for home use in 2018 but anyways they probably rase prices on that. I was waiting for FiOS but I don't see that anytime soon. Wireless will prob be better not have to deal with easement crap.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I guess you can only pray that the Great Free Market will fix things over there in the US. Which it won't of course, but hey.

Its stuff like that makes me very happy to live where I live. Although the danger is looming over here too, with our right-wing oriented governments of late and the overall vulnerability to lobbying.

If there is one thing to thank the EU for, its the resistance and careful thought that goes into legislation and civilian/consumer rights. I really hope we can stick to those principles, because there's a good chance we will be leading in that sense when we look back 10 years from now. A baseline of equality and regulation really is sorely needed to protect mankind from itself and its about time we measure our collective wealth by the baseline we are capable of providing - and the loss of net neutrality is a huge step back in that sense. It has the potential to make us lose everything the internet has brought us.

Last edited:
System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
The rules will change again in 2021 hopefully with someone else

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If they are going to make something minimul, I hope it's around the 100Mb mark not 10Mb.. 10Mb is pointless and a waste of time.. Make it something that every family and someone in a home/flat whatever can actually use.. I'm sure all the 4k steaming and such that is going to happen by 2020 will need a massive amount of bandwidth not to mention the 250Gb downloads for games and such like.. 10Mb... go home, you're drunk!!

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I always enjoyed tea and biscuits more then coffee. I am glad UK is going the opposite route.

This is so stupid. USSR is history but commies are everywhere.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The DOJ or was it the FCC went after Tmobile for having hulu not counting against your data which was silly.

For the most part, cell service is not a monopoly. High-bandwidth ISP's are a monopoly in a ton of areas ...including mine.

I'm not a liberal snowflake-commie. The cable company controls my TV and charges me the largest bill in my household second only to my mortgage and taxes. Internet content? No, open it up to everyone, not just the ones that make "them" money, or threaten their monopoly.

For the most part, cell service is not a monopoly. High-bandwidth ISP's are a monopoly in a ton of areas ...including mine.

I'm not a liberal snowflake-commie. The cable company controls my TV and charges me the largest bill in my household second only to my mortgage and taxes. Internet content? No, open it up to everyone, not just the ones that make "them" money, or threaten their monopoly.
i dont get your point with my quote......

LOL on the fact that you think communism was created in USSR.
And if that was not enough, you are actually thinking the guaranteed Internet access has anything to do with communism.
If they are going to make something minimul, I hope it's around the 100Mb mark not 10Mb.. 10Mb is pointless and a waste of time.. Make it something that every family and someone in a home/flat whatever can actually use.. I'm sure all the 4k steaming and such that is going to happen by 2020 will need a massive amount of bandwidth not to mention the 250Gb downloads for games and such like.. 10Mb... go home, you're drunk!!
It's 10 Mb/s exactly because it's a minimum. The aim of this law is to guarantee useful Internet access in each home, because today Internet became so important that it can be put among those essential utilities (like electricity, water, heating or waste disposal) a flat/house has to provide. It's not meant to guarantee you comfortable Internet.

And BTW: I'm pretty sure a lot of people in US would still love a stable, unlimited 10 Mb/s. Remember this is a huge and largely deserted / uninhabited country.
Positive rights require forcing someone to do something for someone
Negitive rights require someone to not do something.
Which in fact means that negative rights are mostly stemming from natural rights or personal freedom. So there is no need to create legal acts that confirm them.
Positive rights, on the other hand, are exactly what matters and what has to be - carefully - analyzed and written down.

So if you sometimes have a feeling that almost every legal act politicians create / vote is about positive rights, you're right. That's the way it should be.
We dont have a free market here so how about you be intellectually honest. Internet hasnt been a regulatory free industry since ever. Nor has anything in the US.
An ideal free market for cable media (both Internet and TV) is almost impossible and simply creates a mess.

Internet should be regulated and organized. For example: the cables should be laid by a single company and ISP should connect through them - not create their own physical network (just like with electricity, water and gas connections).
And it will look like that few decades from now - also thanks to legal acts like the one we discuss here.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I still don't understand how classifying it as a utility is a bad thing, just mandates that it has to be accessible to all versus communications it's up to the company whether or not they want to provide coverage. Even now they do not abide by that if you take the time to comb through availability maps e.g. wealthier neighborhoods have more service options and sometimes those service options are less expensive(att offers a 100Mbps @$50mo. where that same service in a poorer neighborhood not too far away is $80) than poorer neighborhoods.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I pay $43 for basic 5mb speed, I mostly use it for mining machines. I pay $50 for unlimited cell data that I use for phone tethering on a laptop and business laptop. I get from 15-20mb in the day time and about 40mb at night. Aint Cox the shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Wish they would do that here in Australia, our internet is bad! Kenya probably has better net then us lol

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
10Mbps?? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Good luck with that mediocre speed.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Stick to the topic folks.

** Saying this after a mass cleanup if it confuses anyone. :)

Stick to the topic folks.

** Saying this after a mass cleanup if it confuses anyone. :)
Seeing how this is a small topic and would die naturally after 30-40 posts, I really don't understand why you're moderating so aggressively. Is it because of political arguments used? Well... it is a political topic and the opening comment starts with "The Government", so what do you expect?
If these type of discussions are unworthy of TPU forum, why not moderate the news first? You know... stick to CPU benchmarks and mining hashrates for new GPUs.

And at the same time there is so much rubbish in large topics - the ones that people might actually want to go back to and search for information.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
I remembered 2 Mbps was pain and waist of time and money i was just a student. Now stupid 4G limited and in city optic cable 100 Mbps for 10 euro.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 6TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Oh wow 10Mbps...should've been at least 20 in my opinion. I really hope high speed fibre will be widely available

At this point Internet access is just as much of a necessary utility as landline phones were through most of the 20th century, so this is a good rule. And indirectly it probably helps property values in rural areas a little. For just about everyone the lack of Internet access would be a showstopper when looking at homes or apartments to live, and that is something that comes up in very rural areas. With these speeds the utilities can probably cover the UK with wireless Internet access relatively painlessly.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
That is awesome, back in the USA our government is making sure we all have a legal right to dial up with paid tiers for faster browsing starting with one months' salary and ending with your first born for the highest tier.

10Mbps?? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Good luck with that mediocre speed.
I'm stuck on 3mbps and my ISP overloads the lines so badly that I'm not getting full speed during low traffic hours anymore, let alone peak. That's the best option and it's $40/month.

I'd take 10mbps with <100ms latency at the same price in a heartbeat.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

At the risk of feeding the troll, but... basic necessities and safeguarding them + reinforcing them for everyone is communism now?

Lolwut

Please go ask the capitalist US citizens who live in less populated areas how their internet worked out for them...