• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What if prices don't fall for years...

I can't live without high refresh gysnc, makes action games much more immersive. But to each their own.

We have (3) G-Sync monitors here but it's turned off as often as its used. With the 1440p screens it's a very welcome addition for those games that get from 50 - 70 fps or so. But iIf game is significantly above 60 fps, the boys will usually turn it off and use ULMB. Also have an older monitor, Asus VG248QE which was the 1st G-Syn capable monitor .... but never bothered to install the module when it came out. I was gonna wait till the modules came down in price but never bothered as everything is above 80 fps @ 1080p, so don't really have anything that would benefit from it on that box.

Somethin has gotta break ... the new HDR monitors that were originally set to drop in 1Q 2018 were pushed back twice to Q1 2018 and now Q2. I'd find it real hard to justify investing in a monitor today with these things on the horizon but the monitor manufacturer's will not likely release them until folks can buy GFX cards to drive it. Even those with the cast to spring on a new 4k 144 hz, no matter how amazing the picture, will think twice when ya need another $2750 fr a pair of Ti's to drive them. Everybody need srevenue and if the cards aren't there at an affordable price, everybody suffers. If a user can't get a card, he's not buying MBo, CPU, Case, PSU .... and the monitor guys and game devs will have to sit on their new stuff.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I read somewhere that cpu prices will go up as well. Meh could not care less.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
We haw now, starting whit this year extreme high electricity prices, using now desktop is a bad idea.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
The prices will drop once they realise no one is buying the stuff. It will come down just give it time.

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Retro gaming is the answer, replay or play old games with old hardware, i made myself a PC with a Q9505, HD6950 and 6GB of DDR2 just for that purpose to (re)play games from the 2000 to 2012 period.

How much you put that together? Have been wanting to get a retro machine going.

[Existential crisis intensifies]

OP, i honestly don't know when will this stop.
I've been repairing, selling and reviewing PC and parts for the better part of this century and i have never seen anything like this.

Sorry OP, i have no answer for you. This tunnel doesn't seem to have a light in its end yet.

How much you put that together? Have been wanting to get a retro machine going.

I had the mobo for years, an Abit X38 also had 4GB of RAM, the PSU, WD 1TB Black hard drive from 2010 i think and an old case. I bought the Q9505, HD 6950 and 2GB of RAM for about 50 Euros (250 lei my local currency).
Is there a thread for retro gaming/PCs here ? if not we should make one.

Last edited:
When the mining craze has slowed and there is a ton of worn out barely useable trash video cards then prices will come down.
I'm so glad I bit the bullet last year and got the 1080Ti cause it's still on the high end even a year later and twice the price.
I invested in a water cooler that has kept it super cool all year. waiting this out before SLI.

System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
The average middle class Man comes home, tired from yet another 8 hour shift. He goes on partpicker to check if something has changed, but no... Yet again his enthusiast class GPU is sold out almost everywhere and the few places where they have it, its more than 50% above MSRP.

Once again Man becomes infuriated, not able to play his games and blow off some steam after a hard day at work. It's been years now and he is still stuck with his trusty old GTX 970. It's true, they have been thru a lot, the 3.5GB Ram fiasco, countless re-pastings and lubrication of the fan, and let's not forget the dreaded oven bake. But this is beyond sentiments now. He has been stuck for too long at 1080p 60Hz and occasionally with newer titles, he had to even resort to put down the graphics to Medium. But what is this, the new COD MWX Anniversary Edition recommends to put his details to LOW. LOW?!?!?

This is too much for Man. Filled with anger he goes to his favorite online forum to release his frustration. There he finds support from a legion of other frustrated nerds. Bloodthristy army that has been denied their right to virtual bloodshed online for too long. Realizing that the 700$ he could spend on a GPU, due to the ever more relaxed gun laws, is the same money that he could spend on AK47 with free shipping the army take up arms for real and bring the fight to the streets.

"We are the 99 percentile":lovetpu:
"GPU for everyone"
"AA and AF matters"

Soon not only PC gamers but even the average Joe frustrated from the lack of RAM for his chrome browsing and yes, even peasant console players, join the movement. The rising HW prices have hit everyone except the ruling elite. @R-T-B, an outspoken mining millionaire was the first to fall. Together they fought hard to overthrow the system, burn down those capitalist merchants selling HW at above MSRP and strip down every mining rig they could find of those filthy opportunist seeking minters. A very non-communist like system is put in place, to ensure equal GPU allocation to every household, a ram stick for everyone and 4 hour working day. The other 4 hours were allocated for gaming, because in the words of the founding father Benjamin Franklin "if every man and woman would work for four hours each day on something useful, that labour would produce sufficient to procure all the necessaries and comforts of life; want and misery would be banished out of the world, and the rest of the twenty-four hours might be leisure and pleasure." And what better pleasure and pleasure than gaming. Thus a true gamers utopia was born, the UGA.

THE END.

Last edited:
Both, AMD and NVIDIA have to seriously consider and decide what the fuck they want. Do they want to continue evolving gaming industry or they'll just call it a day and just sell to whoever buys more, meaning they'll side with the cryptominers. They'll have to force miners to buy dedicated mining cards and leave gamers to have gamer cards. Because mining farms, the proper ones that run cards till they die aren't really a problem, they'll buy crypto cards either way. Main problem are seasonal cryptominers who think they'll grab some easy money and then sell the rigs because gamers will buy super inflated priced cards to game on them. Or something. But if they don't have gaming cards, things change. In a nut shell, gaming cards just need to suck at crypto and problem is solved. I frankly don't give a damn how they achieve this, even if it's with blacklisting within drivers and BIOS enforcement like used on RX Vega. Sure hardcore overclockers will get screwed but they are minority compared to entire gaming industry being fucked because of crypto mining nonsense.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The average middle class Man comes home, tired from yet another 8 hour shift. He goes on partpicker to check if something has changed, but no... Yet again his enthusiast class GPU is sold out almost everywhere and the few places where they have it, its more than 50% above MSRP.

Once again Man becomes infuriated, not able to play his games and blow off some steam after a hard day at work. It's been years now and he is still stuck with his trusty old GTX 970. It's true, they have been thru a lot, the 3.5GB Ram fiasco, countless re-pastings and lubrication of the fan, and let's not forget the dreaded oven bake. But this is beyond sentiments now. He has been stuck for too long at 1080p 60Hz and occasionally with newer titles, he had to even resort to put down the graphics to Medium. But what is this, the new COD MWX Anniversary Edition recommends to put his details to LOW. LOW?!?!?

This is too much for Man. Filled with anger he goes to his favorite online forum to release his frustration. There he finds support from a legion of other frustrated nerds. Bloodthristy army that has been denied their right to virtual bloodshed online for too long. Realizing that the 700$ he could spend on a GPU, due to the ever more relaxed gun laws, is the same money that he could spend on AK47 with free shipping the army take up arms for real and bring the fight to the streets.

"We are the 99 percentile":lovetpu:
"GPU for everyone"
"AA and AF matters"

Soon not only PC gamers but even the average Joe frustrated from the lack of RAM for his chrome browsing and yes, even peasant console players, join the movement. The rising HW prices have hit everyone except the ruling elite. Together they overthrow the system, burn down those capitalist merchants selling HW at above MSRP and destroy strip down every mining rig they could find of those filthy opportunist seeking minters. A very non-communist like system is put in place, to ensure equal GPU allocation to every household, a ram stick for everyone and 4 hour working day. The other 4 hours were allocated for gaming, because in the words of the founding father Benjamin Franklin "if every man and woman would work for four hours each day on something useful, that labour would produce sufficient to procure all the necessaries and comforts of life; want and misery would be banished out of the world, and the rest of the twenty-four hours might be leisure and pleasure." And what better pleasure and pleasure than gaming. Thus a true gamers utopia was born, the UGA.

THE END.
Storytelling ability: A+

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I think this thread is a futile exercise since prices are going to drop anyway. ;)

But to play the game... guess we pay it. Nobody is going to do anything about it from the gaming industry. It wont change a thing. AAA titles will still come out... perhaps few pc users but, again, prices will drop so....

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I think this thread is a futile exercise since prices are going to drop anyway. ;)

But to play the game... guess we pay it. Nobody is going to do anything about it from the gaming industry. It wont change a thing. AAA titles will still come out... perhaps few pc users but, again, prices will drop so....
I think you are right to an extent, but they will likely never correct to what they were. Fewer people will be buying high end GPU's especially, leading to a larger than previously thought percentage of people on 1920x1080 monitors. This is because fewer high end GPU's will stagnate high end monitor development to some extent.

System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
I think you are right to an extent, but they will likely never correct to what they were. Fewer people will be buying high end GPU's especially, leading to a larger than previously thought percentage of people on 1920x1080 monitors. This is because fewer high end GPU's will stagnate high end monitor development to some extent.
+100%, and not just monitors, almost everything related or non related to performance in favor to save more money for the gpu. Cases/ AIO / rgbs fans/ m2 ssds or even ssds, people like me that mostly have their pc for gaming will start thinking twice on spending money on those items and saving for their next gpu, even high end cpus, i think that they hit the heart of pc gaming, our gpus. IMO

Last edited:

ppn

We have to wait for 10nm that "offers 2X logic density than its 16nm predecessor" that means GTX 1080 reduced to the size of GTX 1060. The prices will still remain double though, at least won't be quadruple.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
The prices will drop once they realise no one is buying the stuff. It will come down just give it time.
Thing is people are buying it, I see Amazon stocks constantly low and declining. I assume these are miners but their is obviously a paying market for it. I'm also seeing stories were middle men are paying up to $50k up front to wholesale so they can get shipments before retailers in order to mark up wholesale cost.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cryptocurrency-dip-nvidia-volta

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Considering a 1070 can happily play WQHD, not terribly worried about 1080p or resolution progression. Decent 4k monitors are already 'too pricey' for most so i dont see a big increase in that stagnation in the least. There are other factors prohibiting that move...

Prices wont go back to baseline, sure, but they will be much more reasonable.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I'd just start recommending to people to get a Xbox One X for now if they're looking for some higher fidelity gaming. If you buy the newer digital games you can play them on both the xbox and pc as well once they have the money to go that route.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
If only Crossfire worked better, I'd be just fine.

ppn

Xbox,Consoles are you kidding me. This Bulldozer crippled hardware incapable of delivering 60 FPS. A big No-no for me, my eyes still hurt remembering the period of PS4 game play. My joints by the joystick, my nerves are worn out by the pressure to aim properly. Lets presume PS5 is ZEN+VEGA20 4096 streams with 4096 bits memory baked on 7nm, not the half assed 2048 bits, then console would be considered ok.

I mined with solar powered 1050Ti for a while almost 1ETH now. I will consider my next GTX 2070 SLI to be a very generous gift by somebody unfortunate enough to believe in the crypt o casino tokens.

Memory makers will soon ramp up the production hopefully. At the beginning DDR3 was also expensive, then dropped to 4GB at $16.

Last edited:
System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Last year was amazing for desktop part shipments. But this year investors are probably gonna start screaming and crying because of less people buying hardware. Then the masses will start saying again that desktop gaming is REALLY going to die. /s

Anyway, waiting sucks but that's all you can do. Maybe on next Black Friday or Cyber Monday there will be something for everyone. When is the next holiday season that sees sales anyway? I don't really know of any other times when hardware sales happen.

I'm lucky I even have a 1060 6GB, but I really wanted to trade that to 1070Ti. But "shucks.... money...", it was really bad time for me to buy anything for myself, and now it's too late. Why does life have to intervene with my gaming all the time.

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
When is the next holiday season that sees sales anyway? I don't really know of any other times when hardware sales happen.
There may be an opportunity when March Madness approaches- smaller buyers may get involved in watching/betting on NCAA basketball rather than snatching up gpu's the second they're listed as in stock.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
What if...?

I'll just skimp by with the minimal type of GPU possible. Unfortunately.