• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Water Blocks Apologizes to Customers with Re-designed Threadripper CPU Block

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
EK Water Blocks (EKWB) did not have the greatest end to 2017, losing key members of their top management, some of whom found employment with CORSAIR as we later found out. The performance of their CPU water block for AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs was also a matter of great debate among enthusiasts, with the cold plate having machined microfins that occupied an area smaller than that occupied by the CPU dies themselves. A few tests from end users and the media alike pointed towards disappointing thermal dissipation relative to the competition and, even though EKWB insisted that the block was good enough, the bad press likely was enough to convince them otherwise.

In a public apology published as a press release on their website, EKWB today even conceded that they did not give their best for the product as it is and laid down some plans to make it right. It begins with a redesign of the cold plate, which affects current and future products alike, as well as doing right to the customers who purchased the previous design of the CPU block as well. Click on the story to know more.

First up, the redesigned cold plate. On the left is an illustration of an AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU complete with that large IHS and PCB relative to anything else we see in the mainstream and HEDT market. In the middle is an image showing how the older EKWB coldplate for the platform fared, with what was essentially the cooling engine of the old EK-Supremacy EVO used in a larger space to fill up the gaps. This allowed them to bring out a product to market sooner than others, a smart business move without the power of hindsight, and one that led to others taking time and bringing out better compatible solutions which meant that in the long term, the EKWB solution was left wanting. On the right is the new cold plate design, one that improves vastly on the cooling engine to take good advantage of the available space. Indeed, we even see extensions in the longer axis which should allow for better heat transfer from the cold plate to the coolant, albeit yours truly is concerned at the higher coolant flow restriction resulting from this change.

What about those who purchased products based off the older design, you ask? Well, there are some options here. EKWB decided to hold off on releasing some monoblocks to incorporate the new cold plate, but those who purchased the EK-FB ASUS ROG ZE RGB Monoblock can apply for a free upgrade kit shown above. Proof of purchase is a must for this, but that is only fair and EKWB promises to ship the kit at their expense as well if you are comfortable to make the swap yourself. If not, there is a video going over the process or you can also contact them and they will assist you with it.

More relevantly, however, those who purchased the actual EKWB Threadripper CPU block itself will not be able to take advantage of such an upgrade kit since the mounting mechanism is different as well. The new CPU block design will install similar to a monoblock from the other side of the PCB, so this makes sense to us. Those who purchased the older block before the 24th of November, 2017 is entitled to a 25 €/$ coupon code to the EKWB store, and if you have the proof of purchase as well then you have the option to get a partial refund instead. This seems confusing in that there is no mention of what is done regarding the orders placed after that date, and presumably the latter refund option is actually for the recent orders since everyone likely has proof of purchase irrespective of when the purchase was made. We have contacted EK for clarification on this matter, and will update the post accordingly.

In EK's own words:
"Our engineering team is hard at work with developing a new CPU water block which will be specifically designed for HEDT AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors. We hope that the partial refund will compensate for the lack of performance of the EK-Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition CPU water block and that you, our customers, will put your trust in our upcoming products."

It takes courage to admit fault, whatever be the reason that drove the admission, and work to make things right. EK Water Blocks enjoyed the market share and reputation before to where people would trust them enough to place pre-orders for water blocks even without knowing how they perform, but that did take a ding post the Threadripper CPU block design of old. What do you think about the apology and subsequent steps? Feel free to comment on the story and let them know if you felt the steps taken were adequate, more than expected, or whether they should have done more. I am sure they will appreciate your feedback one way or the other.

Update: February 15, 2018 - The new head of marketing for EKWB confirmed that the rebate/discount is for customers of the CPU block before the 24th of November, 2017 after all. He clarified by saying the block went on a permanent discount after this date to reflect the market, so the discount will help previous customers to get on par with the current price point for the product.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I always thought that EKWB was a very reputable company, possibly the best in their field. So they had a few hiccups and released some bad product, as they all do sometimes. They admitted their mistake and tried to make it up to people who trusted them, so in my book they're still better than 95% of the competition.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
That's a refreshing take on things from EK.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hmm Imho, take the height of a Wraith spire and make a block, don't mind if its taller, it be nice for heat to come off fins into the water from a greater square area...

Yeah I always wished the interior fins were taller and even the heatblock itself to have a metal heatsink fins on the outside too just for a bit extra at idle, like the Swiftech Apogee II. I feel like most are too focused on making the lowest profile. Anyway, glad EK is fixing this. When their TR block first came out, I ask the rep about it myself and they reassured me it was just fine. But saw other blocks doing it proper. So I knew it wasn't just me.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah I always wished the fins were taller and even the heatblock itself to have a metal heatsink fins on the outside too just for a bit extra like the Swiftech Apogee II:
Well even internally so it multiplies the effectiveness of it.

Well even internally so it multiplies the effectiveness of it.

This isn't a waterblock but here's an example of how "tall" I'd want the micro fins in a block. I don't know if anyone's ever tried something similar.

I mean, if some companies are going to put out stuff like this....then why not just try a larger (taller) block (like you mention):

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
Yeah I always wished the interior fins were taller and even the heatblock itself to have a metal heatsink fins on the outside too just for a bit extra at idle, like the Swiftech Apogee II. I feel like most are too focused on making the lowest profile. Anyway, glad EK is fixing this. When their TR block first came out, I ask the rep about it myself and they reassured me it was just fine. But saw other blocks doing it proper. So I knew it wasn't just me.

You know those fins on the Apogee has nothing to do with cooling the CPU, right? That block is only tthat high because it has a pump mounted upside down on top of it and the heatsink you see is cooling the electronics of that pump.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
You know those fins on the Apogee has nothing to do with cooling the CPU, right? That block is only tthat high because it has a pump mounted upside down on top of it and the heatsink you see is cooling the electronics of that pump.

Those additional fins help with expulsion of heat too.

He does know about the pumps being internal but waterblocks should have taller mini fins internally.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
This isn't a waterblock but here's an example of how "tall" I'd want the micro fins in a block. I don't know if anyone's ever tried something similar.

Check Thermaltake Pacific W3 and You'll know, why nobody else does it. This design only works, when the water flows from side to side, which lowers the water pressure in the center, above CPU die. While it is sufficient in terms of cooling, it's nowhere near the performance of high end blocks from EK, XSPC, etc...

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
EXCELLENT EKWB !

I was using it as a design example as there are NO other examples of such a setup. So what did you want me to do? Draw a picture? It's one of the few (because of Aseteks patent) that has the pump with the block itself, so the fins are for cooling as mentioned (DeepCool gets around this with a novelty/workaround using a res as a separation).

Check Thermaltake Pacific W3 and You'll know, why nobody else does it. This design only works, when the water flows from side to side, which lowers the water pressure in the center, above CPU die. While it is sufficient in terms of cooling, it's nowhere near the performance of high end blocks from EK, XSPC, etc...

Not sure if I see what you mean. Those are the same-ish height most fins are. The difference here is the surrounding section and the way the flow is (some blocks mill down into the copper rather have standing fins). I still think you could make the fins a bit bigger just to have more thermal capacity. I mean, if we're getting into "good enough realm, then I'm not sure what the point of EK apologizing is for and why anyone cared, since it's "good enough".

Last edited:

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Not sure if I see what you mean. Those are the same-ish height most fins are. The difference here is the surrounding section and the way the flow is (some blocks mill down into the copper rather have standing fins). I still think you could make the fins a bit bigger just to have more thermal capacity. I mean, if we're getting into "good enough realm, then I'm not sure what the point of EK apologizing is for and why anyone cared, since it's "good enough".
Its a trade off they have to make with both milled and skived fins. Taller fins need to be thicker which have lower the surface area and thus performance than regular microfins.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Don't mean to be a dick but, air and water have different flow properties. So, the fins for one, will not work as well on the other.

Just the way it is. So, argument is meaningless. You wouldn't take the prop off your boat and try to fly a plane with it, or vice versa.

Now, iff'n he be talking about air fins on top of the cooling block. That is an argument worth debate.

Peace. :lovetpu:

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
At the moment they are probably first watercooling company because follow market and launch waterblocks for most important hardware models and performance are always on top.
Koolance, Swiftech, Alphacool, XSPC, not. Bitspower is very similar to them but not my style... from other side Watercool products look amazing...
I could not bet who made higher quality, Watercool e.k. vs EKWB....But if you choose better hardware with more phase, custom design EKWB stay as only option.

Ten times we are vitness of companies who made mistakes and launch improved model without any excuse and apologizes to customers.