• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Turing is a Crypto-mining Chip Jen-Hsun Huang Made to Save PC Gaming

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So if it's not an ASIC ... then what is it ? Because if they start from current designs it can't get much faster at miming than it already is. The only thing I can image as to what they can do is eliminate some of the critical stages for the graphics pipeline like the rasterizer and what not and fill the remaining die space with more SIMD lanes. Which will make it better at compute and useless for graphics.

Thing is , this is pretty much guaranteed to eat away the very wafers that are being used for their consumer graphics , there's no other way. Seems like everyone might get played again by our boy Huang , they aren't saving jack shit , they are optimizing their products for mining. Nvidia has never been a long term company for the most part , they are always for the profit in the here and now. This is exactly that.

They're making dedicated gaming cards, dedicated mining cards, dedicated AI cards, dedicated prosumer cards whatever the hell that means, dedicated self driving car chips and tegra.
Interesting to see whether this card changes things. It might but time will tell, it's a good move from nvidia.
...while it's 99% the same card with various things and tweaks enabled or not.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Probably b/c it will be priced too high and it's still using RAM needed for gaming cards... It's a cash grab or at attempt. Time will tell.
Yeah, we should ban companies that release products only to make money :wtf:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yeah, we should ban companies that release products only to make money :wtf:

I suspect Nvidia's investors and share holders are glad a lot of these forum warriors don't run the company.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@btarunr Do you have a source link for this Turing development?

Probably b/c it will be priced too high and it's still using RAM needed for gaming cards... It's a cash grab or at attempt. Time will tell.
Oh, grabbing cash from mining industry, sounds good to me, except that is completely non-sense.

This is as ridiculous as to say somebody exploits Wall Street fund managers. They calculate expenditure/income to extreme, and you want to cash-grab them?

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
It might be a compute chip without any graphics pipeline and even some optimisations to typical blockchain workloads. But nothing purely mining specific, too volatile and risky

System Name maxedoutgamer
Processor i5-4670k @4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z87
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB ddr3 2133
Video Card(s) gtx 1080 (Palit Jetstream)
Storage 512GB Samsung 840pro
Display(s) Acer B286HK - 4K, baby
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply evga nex650g
Benchmark Scores eeeexcelent
well this article (information) is about near future - and everyone can interpret as he likes... but lets us agree on some information about present days, that are based on facts (that are less for interpretation):
1) all gpus are sold out for x2 price right now (so no waffers and fab resources are avalible for you gamer to get at this point).
2) nvidia and amd are making money of it right now.
3) more miners enter the game - more difficulty rises and less money miners get.

so how exaclty these news are bad for gamers? gamers wont get cards, because nvidia will use existing waffers to produce miner cards?
answer - gamersdoes notand wont get any gpu anyway - nor 2 year old gtx 1070 nor potential new gtx 20XX if this situation in mining does not collpase or market will be flooded with more powerfull rigs that can increase difficulty significantly, and Jen-Hsuns pockets will be filled with miners cahs anyway. So look at this at the bight side, if this architecture is more optimized for mining, and it hits the mining market - then dificulty will rise and mining will be less profitable with existing rigs, even when Jen-Hsuns used up all your waffers in the process and filled his pockets - still you will get second hand cards then - because those millions of existing mining rigs will hit ebay and compete with each oter.

What if (big what if) Volta-based GeForce cards have artificially-crippled blockchain performance from their drivers/CUDA_CL?
That has been talked about. But the problem is that driver level limitations can be overcome if an open-source cryptocurrency focused alternative is used.
Dear site..
What is with the messianic titile in the topic? Yeah Nvidia CEO is making this card to save pc gaming and not ot make profit from it . You made a topic based on a rumor from Reuters and made it into a puff piece.. Are you CNN and WCCFTECH all in one?
If you don't like it, don't come here. Whining about it will only get you some cheese.. And not the good kind.

So if it's not an ASIC ... then what is it ? Because if they start from current designs it can't get much faster at miming than it already is. The only thing I can image as to what they can do is eliminate some of the critical stages for the graphics pipeline like the rasterizer and what not and fill the remaining die space with more SIMD lanes. Which will make it better at compute and useless for graphics.

Thing is , this is pretty much guaranteed to eat away the very wafers that are being used for their consumer graphics , there's no other way. Seems like everyone might get played again by our boy Huang , they aren't saving jack shit , they are optimizing their products for mining. Nvidia has never been a long term company for the most part , they are always for the profit in the here and now. This is exactly that.

Well chip with very low power and enough compute perf. and memory bandwidth should do it.

Wonder if nvidia is the one behind TSMCs custom cryptoasic order, samsung has some crypto manufacturing asic deals too. But knowing close relationship between nvidia and tsmc, the former is safe bet.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I wonder if this means any delays for next gen geforce cards. They're making Volta and now this one, probably in ridiculous amounts. TSMC will have their hands full.

This will only be useless if supply can't meet demand. Miners will swallow it and burp, then be back to buying geforce again. If they can saturate the market tho, it means a lot of good things for gaming card prices.

They recently signed a deal with Samsung also to start making chips. Don't know if it's Volta processors or Turing.

There must be a solution to this.

My idea would be to include a display-port or HDMI port as normal. But to have a lower hard limit on voltage. Miners typically always under-volt their mining cards.

For example if I mine on my own 1080Ti it will draw up to 336 watts at only 0.9v. (it does 1999Mhz at 0.9v)

Even at stock the voltage would actually be 1.06v which would put power draw up to nearly 500 watts. Which would soon kill a card if left mining at that current/voltage throughput continuously.

By limiting voltage (at hard level) to lower than that of the GeForce counterparts, it would deter gamers from buying them initially.

But would still offer a cheap Ebay bargain for a gamer that doesn't care about overclocking and who doesn't mind their card being effectively "down-tuned" compared to a regular card. This would enable resale of the card as people would love to snap up a bargain on a down-tuned variant. Moreoever they'd have the peace of mind knowing that although the card has been used for mining, voltage has always been kept low. In other words the card will have been "broken in" gently.

This also wouldn't affect mining performance because no miner who is trying to turn a profit (while paying electric) is running their card at stock voltages. And certainly isn't overclocking.

I estimate my card is probably actually most efficient at about 0.8 to 0.85v

Last edited:
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Only the Codename of Turing seems to be news. Various AIBs have already announced mining-specific GPUs last year and have already sold mining-specific cards for a while.
See Asus GP106 model without any outputs here: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/gallery/
Pascal mining news from 2017: http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics...-gpu-cryptocurrency-mining-solution-pictured/

This is really just NVidia ramping up (current Pascal and next-gen) die production for those mining cards. They had their chance to "save" the gamers for a while now, but they didn't fearing the volatility of the crypto-coins just like Steam did. What changed is that the crypto-coins didn't burst, so analysts and investors are putting pressure on NVidia because they are 10x bigger than the competitor. If you piece NVidia news together for the last 6 months, it's very cohesive and centered around the dynamics of crypto -- particularly BTC.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
There must be a solution to this.

My idea would be to include a display-port or HDMI port as normal. But to have a lower hard limit on voltage. Miners typically always under-volt their mining cards.

For example if I mine on my own 1080Ti it will draw up to 336 watts at only 0.9v. (it does 1999Mhz at 0.9v)

Even at stock the voltage would actually be 1.06v which would put power draw up to nearly 500 watts. Which would soon kill a card if left mining at that current/voltage throughput continuously.

By limiting voltage (at hard level) to lower than that of the GeForce counterparts, it would deter gamers from buying them initially.

But would still offer a cheap Ebay bargain for a gamer that doesn't care about overclocking and who doesn't mind their card being effectively "down-tuned" compared to a regular card. This would enable resale of the card as people would love to snap up a bargain on a down-tuned variant. Moreoever they'd have the peace of mind knowing that although the card has been used for mining, voltage has always been kept low. In other words the card will have been "broken in" gently.

This also wouldn't affect mining performance because no miner who is trying to turn a profit (while paying electric) is running their card at stock voltages. And certainly isn't overclocking.

I estimate my card is probably actually most efficient at about 0.8 to 0.85v
Wild guess: those that build the cards know best how to limit/prevent mining and their solution was to build cheap silicon in the form of Turing.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
It is a great overall solution, one that NVidia would NOT be interested in. Market segmentation is a classic business strategy (for profits). Any business will do everything they can to NOT hurt their future profits (especially from sales).

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

If this turns out true I would be so happy

Alas it sounds too good to be true.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I only have one question... what fab line is going to make these chips so that they actually have an impact on supply? Fab time is a limited resource.

The one powered by the Jen fan club. Since he and his leather jacket are here to save us, and not make profit.

System Name R/B
Processor 3770K
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB
Video Card(s) Unknown.
Storage Samsung 830 128 X2 Raid 0
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U3011
Case NZXT Switch 810
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Win 7 X64
this will be useless. When all the mining cards are gone, miner start buying geforce, and if profittable, maybe less profittlable, they ll buu them all. No mattere how many cards there will be

Assumption they will not have stock of Crypto-Cards. Smells like Nintendo and the NES Classic.

they can't be sold as a gaming card later
And is environmental boon-dog-gal. Huge energy to make a chip, energy to mine, and no after life other than a landfill. Isn't Technology wonderful!
Fab time is a limited resource.
Amen, you can't give use gaming card now how is moving production to attend to this hugely profitable market going to save gaming? More like abandoning gaming might be the Headline!
if this Turning has significantly increased price/performance
Then they seem to have been working for awhile designing such new technology, or is a few tweaks to Pascal able to make that much difference?
mining set up with risers etc, that's the start. The real culprits though are even more industrial.
Agreed, but even Egg is the one bundling 6 Vega's with risers so they are selling.
and it's still using RAM needed for gaming cards
That's another big issue...
Yeah Nvidia CEO is making this card to save pc gaming and not ot make profit from it
More abandoning a low volume high maintenance market, for a new higher volume/profit market.
Because if they start from current designs it can't get much faster at miming than it already is.
That is if the ceased working on gaming designs some time ago to place engineer resources in developing a design better suite for hash/power improvements and forgo developing improved gaming engineered designs.

All what is here are good topics, and they point less to be for aiding the gaming community.

Last edited:
I think most miners have known this is the eventual end-game for gpu-based crypto. It will almost certainly follow the same evolution as cpu mining did when it shifted to industrial/ASIC mining which made it no longer viable for small-scale miners. We just happen to be in the window now (which btw has lasted much longer than I expected) before we get there. But it sounds like the clouds are forming for it to finally happen.

You're still going to have the moderate-sized miners that have a garage full of rack mining systems at home that have invested $50k+. But it would definitely kill off small scale mining, and those are really the people paying 200%+ premiums for video cards thinking they'll get rich quick. Large-scale miners aren't the ones paying $500 for a 1060 or 580, or $1500 for a 1080ti, they are buying in bulk (even by the pallet) at close to MSRP. So making small-scale mining unprofitable would definitely bring prices down for the gaming masses.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That is if the ceased working on gaming designs some time ago to place engineer resources in developing a design better suite for hash/power improvements and forgo developing improved gaming engineered designs.

They stopped working and pouring money into consumer graphics maybe as far back as Maxwell. Most of their cash and work has been put into working with TSMC and slowly shifting the focus on compute.

Instead of ramping up the gaming GPU production and thereby reducing market pressure/prices, they decided to produce a accelerator that will probably be useless for gaming and will start filling landfills in third world countries when mining on these chips won't be profitable anymore. And as nVidia loves vendor lock-in, they will almost 100% produce a proprietary mining software (which might or might not be pay 2 use) and significantly gimp everything open source.

As others said, there is really nothing to cheer about ...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
The one powered by the Jen fan club. Since he and his leather jacket are here to save us, and not make profit.

Jen is easily my fave ex-AMD employee! :toast:

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Fun reading anyone that posted that this "card" will save PC gaming. Another rumor with tons of hot air.