• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Turing is a Crypto-mining Chip Jen-Hsun Huang Made to Save PC Gaming

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I will say that is complete BS. The only advantage Nvidia has (besides Volta lol) is a 1070 at stock settings are more efficient than AMD. But if you tweak AMD cards heavily, they completely smash Nvidia.

-My $500 Vega cards do 47.2 MH/s Ethereum + 1100 Pascal dual mining. That is the equivalent of 2.5 1070's!
-My $120 R9 380's do 23 MH/s. That's as good as a 1060 that would cost at least 2x as much (And it's 28nm lol)
-And of course RX 580's mine as well as 1070's if properly tweaked.

There is a reason RX 580's eventually started selling for the same price as 1070's, and in general AMD cards sold out WAY before Nvida...

You mind showing your Vega card doing 47.2+1100 pascal sustained for any period of time?

and my 1060's ran $140-150 USD and use less than half the power those 380's do...

I guess I should admit that when I made that statement, I was considering the AMD stock situation. Harder to get AMD at msrp than even nvidia.

I learned a few things though, not being a amd miner myself. Have a thanks.

It's fine brah, there's a lot misinformation out there. In fact a lot of it is intentional, like many people who still don't share their Tricks to make Vega into basically a mining ASIC lol. If everyone knew, the network difficulty would go up.

AMD cards went out of stock, and then Nvidia cards went out of stock because people wanted anything they could get. The one thing I will say is that the GTX 1070 @$350 was a solid competitor if you were doing large-scale mining. They would do ~28 MH/s out of the box and consume slightly less energy than a stock RX 580. That's important if you are setting up 1000 cards and don't have time to tweak them. But the second the 1070 got close to 1.5-2x the price of an RX 580, it made absolutely no sense.

Heck even right now I just built yet another rig - it is 3 x RX 560's, and 3 x used R9 290's. After Bios mods the $150 RX 560's are all pulling 14.5 MH/s @ 60w, and the $275 28nm R9 290's are doing 29 MH/s @ 185w. That's not bad pal! People are crazy to pay $500 for a 1070 or 580 lol.

You mind showing your Vega card doing 47.2+1100 pascal sustained for any period of time?

and my 1060's ran $140-150 USD and use less than half the power those 380's do...

1) So for some reason Nanopool's Pascal servers are under maintenance or something, but I can show you what I do when not dual mining. 48 MH/s should shut up the nay-sayers lol, and I would be happy to show my dual mining whenever the Pascal servers are back up. So message me later for that if you want.

2) Brag all you want about your 1060's, but my point still stands. I paid less money than you a LONG time ago to get the same hashrate. Those R9 380's aren't as good as the 1060, but I wouldn't brag about a substantially newer 16nm card narrowly beating Tonga on 28nm lol.

Man it really never ceases to amuse me when people can't believe the performance of AMD cards. They are almost always the stupidly better choice for people who are good at tweaking hardware, and care about price/perf. Nvidia remains the brand both for people with money in need of burning, and for those who just don't have a lot of hardware knowledge. Not trying to pick a fight with that last statement either, facts are facts as I have shown with my $500 card putting out 48 MH/s...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 367
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
It's not. My RX 570's are pulling ~110w just like 1060's do, and Vega has been proven by numerous sources to be the most efficient card you can buy (Besides Volta that costs 6x as much lol). You can undervolt AMD Buddy, and AMD traditionally responds WAY better to undervolting than Nvidia.

Again let's look at my highly overclocked Vega's that pull ~310w: They have 1.5x the hashing power an overclocked 180w 1070 has in Ethereum, and then they are also mining Pascal as well as another 1070 at the same time! That is substantially more efficient than Nvidia's most efficient mining card, and I could clock them lower for much better efficiency if I wanted to.

Now Volta is more efficient, but it's also a lowly-clocked 12nm card with a 73% larger die size! Of course it is better in Ethereum mining (and still worse in cryptonight)! It also costs substantially more to produce and buy. Nvidia would be wise to make a for-mining architecture so they don't lose sizable amounts of income if AMD cards ever come back in stock in sufficient numbers.
You must of been one of the lucky ones that got his/her Vega card early in pre order, but I havent seem any Vega cards in stock in months online or at the store. I dont live near any Frys or Micocenter so I cant comment on those stores. Only store near me are stupid best buy and small tech shops.

Want I am trying to say is that, people buy cards that are in stock or pay 1k for a Vega card, and it also depends on the algorithm you are mining.

You must of been one of the lucky ones that got his/her Vega card early in pre order, but I havent seem any Vega cards in stock in months online or at the store. I dont live near any Frys or Micocenter so I cant comment on those stores. Only store near me are stupid best buy and small tech shops.

Want I am trying to say is that, people buy cards that are in stock or pay 1k for a Vega card, and it also depends on the algorithm you are mining.

Haha yeah I got up early and spammed refresh on multiple monitors to get my Vega cards when I did. You have to put in the effort if you truly want to succeed at anything, and I totally understand that people are only capable of buying what they have access to or are willing to put in the effort for.

What I really resent though is when people start spreading FUD so they can convince themselves they were "smart" to buy one thing over the other, but in really they simply couldn't buy the best. If all cards were currently at MSRP, almost no informed person would be buying Nvidia for mining. For instance I am not going to tell people here that my new rig with R9 290's and RX 560's are better at mining than 1060's, but then again they cost less than 1/2 as much and they are honestly pretty close (Or they did, now RX 560's and 290's are sold out too lol).

Vega is the indisputable king at mining by ALL metrics, after that Polaris is the clear choice for price/perf, and even after that 28nm Fury cards are about as good as 16nm Nvidia. After all of those options are gone: then you buy 1070's, and after that you only should buy 1060's as a last resort. I cannot fathom why some people have actually convinced themselves 1080 Ti rigs make any sense at all...

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Poland cracked Enigma.
Turing made it fast using methods unseen in that time.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
It's fine brah, there's a lot misinformation out there. In fact a lot of it is intentional, like many people who still don't share their Tricks to make Vega into basically a mining ASIC lol. If everyone knew, the network difficulty would go up.

AMD cards went out of stock, and then Nvidia cards went out of stock because people wanted anything they could get. The one thing I will say is that the GTX 1070 @$350 was a solid competitor if you were doing large-scale mining. They would do ~28 MH/s out of the box and consume slightly less energy than a stock RX 580. That's important if you are setting up 1000 cards and don't have time to tweak them. But the second the 1070 got close to 1.5-2x the price of an RX 580, it made absolutely no sense.

Heck even right now I just built yet another rig - it is 3 x RX 560's, and 3 x used R9 290's. After Bios mods the $150 RX 560's are all pulling 14.5 MH/s @ 60w, and the $275 28nm R9 290's are doing 29 MH/s @ 185w. That's not bad pal! People are crazy to pay $500 for a 1070 or 580 lol.

1) So for some reason Nanopool's Pascal servers are under maintenance or something, but I can show you what I do when not dual mining. 48 MH/s should shut up the nay-sayers lol, and I would be happy to show my dual mining whenever the Pascal servers are back up. So message me later for that if you want.

2) Brag all you want about your 1060's, but my point still stands. I paid less money than you a LONG time ago to get the same hashrate. Those R9 380's aren't as good as the 1060, but I wouldn't brag about a substantially newer 16nm card narrowly beating Tonga on 28nm lol.

Man it really never ceases to amuse me when people can't believe the performance of AMD cards. They are almost always the stupidly better choice for people who are good at tweaking hardware, and care about price/perf. Nvidia remains the brand both for people with money in need of burning, and for those who just don't have a lot of hardware knowledge. Not trying to pick a fight with that last statement either, facts are facts as I have shown with my $500 card putting out 48 MH/s...

I have mixed rigs and could care less on brand. Per dollar I can mine a lot of different algorithms that suck on amd with nvidia for more profits.

I also wouldn't call half the power consumption "narrowly" beating Tonga. That's an improvement and considering the 1060 is a 192 bit card I really don't find it's performance bad at all. I'll pay $30 more a card for half the wattage any day, that makes a huge difference when scaling up.

All of my 1070's were purchased for under $350 so that might color my vision on them they all also do 32mh/s minus the one Samsung card I have that does 33.

I'm impressed with that vega. I have one it does 42mh/s and pisses me off to the point that it currently sits in my htpc. That's another reason I prefer nvidia. I don't like having to bios mod cards, run a reg edit for a driver to work, enable compute modes, pray the driver doesn't crash, find out the voltage didn't actually set in the bios or config file and have to manage it via software. For ease of use? Nvidia all day.

Not to mention let's go mine neoscrypt, Blake 2s, equihash, lyra2rev2, or any of about half a dozen algorithms other than cryptonight and ethash and watch what the mining looks like. That being said I ordered more 580's and 560's

I have mixed rigs and could care less on brand. Per dollar I can mine a lot of different algorithms that suck on amd with nvidia for more profits.

I also wouldn't call half the power consumption "narrowly" beating Tonga. That's an improvement and considering the 1060 is a 192 bit card I really don't find it's performance bad at all. I'll pay $30 more a card for half the wattage any day, that makes a huge difference when scaling up.

All of my 1070's were purchased for under $350 so that might color my vision on them they all also do 32mh/s minus the one Samsung card I have that does 33.

I'm impressed with that vega. I have one it does 42mh/s and pisses me off to the point that it currently sits in my htpc. That's another reason I prefer nvidia. I don't like having to bios mod cards, run a reg edit for a driver to work, enable compute modes, pray the driver doesn't crash, find out the voltage didn't actually set in the bios or config file and have to manage it via software. For ease of use? Nvidia all day.

Not to mention let's go mine neoscrypt, Blake 2s, equihash, lyra2rev2, or any of about half a dozen algorithms other than cryptonight and ethash and watch what the mining looks like. That being said I ordered more 580's and 560's

For Vega I didn't need to modify anything, I just used Wattman and tweaked intensity levels in claymore lol (But I have always been very good at overclocking). At $350 those 1070's are ok, but around that time period I was buying 570's that do 29 MH/s for $200. You think your purchase was smarter? Again, I only think 1070's were a good choice when they were ~30% more than a 570; and only if you are setting up a lot of them. Otherwise you would be better off buying two 570's for the same price.

Second, those 380's are not using double the energy of your 1060's. You can BIOS mod and undervolt them to the point that the fans barely even turn on. Again though, idk why you are bragging about a 2 year newer card kinda beating an old 28nm GCN card. Sure it's cool you supposedly got them for only 30% more money than I paid, but most people paid $250-$300 for a card that mines the same as something they could have got for less than half the price. Oh and my cards were mining before the 1060 launched lol, and they still are.

Finally, I am kinda sick of people acting like most of the coins outside of Monero and Ethereum are worth bragging about. You could argue that most of them are only being mined because they intentionally pander to Nvidia's architecture, and even then they are wholly less profitable than the real coins (especially if you HODL). Throw in how AMD cards vastly outperform Nvidia's in dual-mining, and it's laughable to suggest Nvidia's cards are anywhere near as profitable. Simply put: AMD mines the most profitable coins better, and then they also dual-mine more efficiently as well.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
For Vega I didn't need to modify anything, I just used Wattman and tweaked intensity levels in claymore lol (But I have always been very good at overclocking). At $350 those 1070's are ok, but around that time period I was buying 570's that do 29 MH/s for $200. You think your purchase was smarter? Again, I only think 1070's were a good choice when they were ~30% more than a 570; and only if you are setting up a lot of them. Otherwise you would be better off buying two 570's for the same price.

Second, those 380's are not using double the energy of your 1060's. You can BIOS mod and undervolt them to the point that the fans barely even turn on. Again though, idk why you are bragging about a 2 year newer card kinda beating an old 28nm GCN card. Sure it's cool you supposedly got them for only 30% more money than I paid, but most people paid $250-$300 for a card that mines the same as something they could have got for less than half the price. Oh and my cards were mining before the 1060 launched lol, and they still are.

Finally, I am kinda sick of people acting like most of the coins outside of Monero and Ethereum are worth bragging about. You could argue that most of them are only being mined because they intentionally pander to Nvidia's architecture, and even then they are wholly less profitable than the real coins (especially if you HODL). Throw in how AMD cards vastly outperform Nvidia's in dual-mining, and it's laughable to suggest Nvidia's cards are anywhere near as profitable. Simply put: AMD mines the most profitable coins better, and then they also dual-mine more efficiently as well.

I had trouble getting 570/580's when I got the 1070's so per dollar they were quite a bit better purchases for me. Turns out some cards are better than no cards.

$150 vs $130 also isn't 30% :roll: and you can brag on 380's all you want they were never that great of a card. I have had a few myself. There is a reason I sold them.

There are quite a few that would argue this last point.

ZEC, BTG and we can continue from here are quite profitable coins and depending on market values have doubled ethereum on multiple occasions for profitability. Until the crash in December they all exceeded ethereum. "simply put" you are fake news. Nvidia makes a good product so does amd. Benefit for nvidia is it is more power efficient and yet again they are not let down by the driver.

I do like the mention of dual mining though. Which coin do you currently dual mine and how has it responded to the ASIC miners that dropped for everything outside of Blake 2S and keccak?

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
NVIDIA CEO is many things, only not PC Gaming Savior.
With their voltage locked. crippled GPU processors, overpriced...
He could be called with different names as we can call Devil with different names...
Lucifer, Diablo, Satan, Antichrist ... but Savior No.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
NVIDIA CEO is many things, only not PC Gaming Savior.
With their voltage locked. crippled GPU processors, overpriced...
He could be called with different names as we can call Devil with different names...
Lucifer, Diablo, Satan, Antichrist ... but Savior No.
Congrats, I think you've just found the proper name for the guy that builds over two thirds of the cards used in gaming rigs. :rolleyes:

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Only company who build 2/3 of GPU could destroy overclocking and increase price to the sky.
Company without such influence is not possible to do that... Are you aware that now you could build Kawasaki Off Road KLX140 144c brand new 2017 model for one Graphic Cards with drivers in gaming.
bkspmzuv.gr4.png
section.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
This is 111th comment so far.. :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't understand why everyone is excited about this. PC Gamer just wrote an article on it today and how it will help bring GPU prices down for gamers... no not at all... Miners will buy all these Turing mining cards until out of stock, and they will also buy all the GPU's until out of stock... best thing Nvidia could have done was pay overtime to its factory workers and crank out as many gpu's possible

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I don't understand why everyone is excited about this. PC Gamer just wrote an article on it today and how it will help bring GPU prices down for gamers... no not at all... Miners will buy all these Turing mining cards until out of stock, and they will also buy all the GPU's until out of stock... best thing Nvidia could have done was pay overtime to its factory workers and crank out as many gpu's possible

Nvidia doesn't own the fab, that would be on TSMC

So they still did not realize the fakecurrencias bubble did burst. Just that they are trying to fake it id not to get time to unload the vapormoney unto ingenuous hands to content the massive losses that leads to huge broke. Thank you for polluting like retards to make the nsa work for free bastards also.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Nvidia has buttloads of billions in profits, they can build their own fab easily, they choose not to.

You can bet they would if they could, there is no such thing in this industry as "they chose not to".

Unfortunately for Nvidia even their buttloads of cash aren't enough to build/buy a foundry of their own.

In addition to that even if they would have one , there is no way they would be able to keep going. Companies like TSMC/Samsung pour billions into existing/new facilities each year just so they can remain competitive.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You can bet they would if they could, there is no such thing in this industry as "they chose not to".

Unfortunately for Nvidia even their buttloads of cash aren't enough to build/buy a foundry of their own.

In addition to that even if they would have one , there is no way they would be able to keep going. Companies like TSMC/Samsung pour billions into existing/new facilities each year just so they can remain competitive.

I think it cost Intel 8 billion to build their 7nm foundry in Arizona? Nvidia has what 200 billion in assets, I don't see why they can't... their stock is also at a record high

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Last edited:
I think it cost Intel 8 billion to build their 7nm foundry in Arizona? Nvidia has what 200 billion in assets, I don't see why they can't... their stock is also at a record high

They certainly have the money - but the real bottleneck is hire-able talent. That's why you see all of these engineers constantly jumping ship back and forth between companies: They are the very small handful of people that can actually do these jobs!

However I am guessing Nvidia could pull it off if they wanted to, but it would take a lot of effort in addition to money.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Nvidia don't want the burden of their own foundry, especially as nodes are shrinking to even more complex levels.

AMD had to spin off their own foundries too, despite Jerry saying "real men have fabs".

Incorrect, Nvidia used to owned their own foundry's. They chose to contract with TSMC because it allowed them better flexibility in the market.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Nvidia has buttloads of billions in profits, they can build their own fab easily, they choose not to.
You drug up a multiple month old thread to be flat out wrong?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You drug up a multiple month old thread to be flat out wrong?

I never bumped this thread actually. Get your facts straight.

Also, I like Vya's post when he clarified for me how much money Nvidia actually makes, and I did not post again until you called me out just now, but sure thing mate, you got all your facts straight about me.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I never bumped this thread actually. Get your facts straight.

Also, I like Vya's post when he clarified for me how much money Nvidia actually makes, and I did not post again until you called me out just now, but sure thing mate, you got all your facts straight about me.

I apologize guy above you bumped a month's old thread, then you posted incorrect information. :roll: my bad