• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA's New GPP Program Reportedly Engages in Monopolistic Practices

Yeah? What did they say? "We're not being transparent with you about GPP" Cmon people, you gotta stop this crusade against nvidia, every damn time something weirds comes up everyone is always instantly grabbing their pitchfork.

Sounds like your not bothering to read any of it. Think your going off emotion and attachment.

If you bothered reading how the story developed no-one picked up their pitchforks or went on a crusade. It was shopped around of all things yet that didn't happen. On the contrary one person did his own investigation and then after talking to AIBs/OEMs did he feel their was something to it. Enough so he is willing to put his reputation on the line as well as his sites credibility with possible legal retribution. Others are reporting on him and his story.

Forbes: Nvidia said:
"The program is transparent and beneficial to gamers, and we have nothing further to add at this time."

Remember the Time line. The Nvidia Blog for GPP didnt happen until after Kyles correspondence with Nvidia on the matter.

HardOCP said:
At this point you're probably wondering, "What is NVIDIA GPP?" A couple of weeks after we began questioning NVIDIA on GPP, it put up an article on its blog.nvidia.com domain entitled, "GeForce Partner Program Helps Gamers Know What They're Buying." Here what John Teeple, Director - Partner Marketing at NVIDIA, has to say about GPP.

For a transparent program which is to benefit us as gamers was in the shadows and who knows if Nvidia would ever say a word about it if it wasn't for the actions that took place.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Yeah? What did they say? "We're not being transparent with you about GPP" Cmon people, you gotta stop this crusade against nvidia, every damn time something weirds comes up everyone is always instantly grabbing their pitchfork.
Um, Kyle has always been very pro-Nvidia, so strike one. I have spoken against this, and 80% of my purchases in the last 15 years or more have been Nvidia. Strike two on your crusade theory.

We are the people who’s complaints carry a lot more weight, because people like us, which is the majority speaking against this, are on the side of doing the right thing. And that means sometimes you have to speak out against a product you use or a group you belong to. It’s called moral courage.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Sounds like your not bothering to read any of it. Think your going off emotion and attachment.

If you bothered reading how the story developed no-one picked up their pitchforks or went on a crusade. It was shopped around of all things yet that didn't happen. On the contrary one person did his own investigation and then after talking to AIBs/OEMs did he feel their was something to it. Enough so he is willing to put his reputation on the line as well as his sites credibility with possible legal retribution. Others are reporting on him and his story.

Remember the Time line. The Nvidia Blog for GPP didnt happen until after Kyles correspondence with Nvidia on the matter.

For a transparent program which is to benefit us as gamers was in the shadows and who knows if Nvidia would ever say a word about it if it wasn't for the actions that took place.
Um, Kyle has always been very pro-Nvidia, so strike one. I have spoken against this, and 80% of my purchases in the last 15 years or more have been Nvidia. Strike two on your crusade theory.

We are the people who’s complaints carry a lot more weight, because people like us, which is the majority speaking against this, are on the side of doing the right thing. And that means sometimes you have to speak out against a product you use or a group you belong to. It’s called moral courage.

I'm not directly addressing you two when i say "Cmon people, you gotta stop this crusade against nvidia, every damn time something weirds comes up everyone is always instantly grabbing their pitchfork." It's just a sensation i've been having for the latest years, AMD is always in the right, and acts for the people, and nvidia is always acting shady and against consumers, and using not fair and illegal practices, i'm just bored of this, every time, every damn time someone talks about nvidia and amd.

I haven't read all the article on HardOCP because i've got enough from the title and few lines, i already knew where it was going to go, i already read many others similar claims and accusations and theories, which ended up in smoke after a while. Now i'm not saying these surely will too, but you know, cronologically this has more possibility to end up in smoke than something else (and i say this again, i'll be happy to eat my words if proven wrong).

Following logic, nvidia doesn't even need this, their rival is basically digging its own grave, it's not like nvidia had to do anything to counter Vega or Polaris, Polaris was as good as Pascal 106, it was a competitive and good product, but then they totally lost it with Vega, and nvidia didn't do anything to accelerate or amplify AMD's failure, so i really wouldn't expect a complete turn of tide with Navi, it'll most likely be if not Vega, perhaps another Polaris, which is good, but just as good as nvidia's or slightly worse, at a cheaper cost. So again why would nvidia need to do anything about it? Especially risking with these kinds of stunts to counter a not-even potential market-killer product?

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
I'm not directly addressing you two when i say "Cmon people, you gotta stop this crusade against nvidia, every damn time something weirds comes up everyone is always instantly grabbing their pitchfork." It's just a sensation i've been having for the latest years, AMD is always in the right, and acts for the people, and nvidia is always acting shady and against consumers, and using not fair and illegal practices, i'm just bored of this, every time, every damn time someone talks about nvidia and amd.

I haven't read all the article on HardOCP because i've got enough from the title and few lines, i already knew where it was going to go, i already read many others similar claims and accusations and theories, which ended up in smoke after a while. Now i'm not saying these surely will too, but you know, cronologically this has more possibility to end up in smoke than something else (and i say this again, i'll be happy to eat my words if proven wrong).

Following logic, nvidia doesn't even need this, their rival is basically digging its own grave, it's not like nvidia had to do anything to counter Vega or Polaris, Polaris was as good as Pascal 106, it was a competitive and good product, but then they totally lost it with Vega, and nvidia didn't do anything to accelerate or amplify AMD's failure, so i really wouldn't expect a complete turn of tide with Navi, it'll most likely be if not Vega, perhaps another Polaris, which is good, but just as good as nvidia's or slightly worse, at a cheaper cost. So again why would nvidia need to do anything about it? Especially risking with these kinds of stunts to counter a not-even potential market-killer product?
Well you make some fair points. If true, then I cannot explain their rationale for doing it. Maybe just as simple as: because they can.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Would be funny if AMD and Intel only make PCIe 2.0 x4 available to Nvidia cards. They could have their chipsets force that speed when an Nvidia card is detected. Fair is fair, right Nvidia?

Or come out with a standard combine (AMD & Intel) and charge Nvidia arms and legs for the license, that would teach them cause their graphic cards will become un-affordable immediately whereas AMD will have a smooth run.

Oh so this is good guy Nvidia trying to save gaming again....LMAO what a joke!! Do you know whats more likely to save gaming in the PC space and in general....Ryzen 3 2200g, Ryzen 5 2400g, and freesync on the XBox eco system. not GPP!!!

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Fornicate Nvidia with the thorny branch of justice.

Perhaps their new chip is a flop, or they know something about the competition.

They've had very many questionable product launches over the years. Especially with some of AMD's big releases the last couple years. NV has nothing in development till later and then mysteriously cheap shots AMD right before their launch with a product that seemingly comes out of no where that happens to compete perfectly with AMD's release.

You know corporate espionage is happening, that's just a given. All of them do it. Just with NV it always comes off so obvious. They know what AMD is launching, what performance it will bring, and how best to counter it.

Intel has done it too however, Intel is just that 800lb gorilla with a giant harem that sits around eating and breeding all day. It may see a Ryzen coming but it has no reason to roll over and handle it until it's harem withholds nookie. Then it gets up in a groggy state and slaps together something temporary. Taking it's time to wake up but never really waking up unless it finds harem members talking to the sexy young AMD gorilla.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
As I have noted above (and this a general question, not aimed directly at you), can you spell out which part of this agreement you have a problem with?

AMD on ROG lineup next to Nvidia.
Their exclusive gaming line to be nvidia exclusive, they can't like make Red republic of gamers if we're fed correct information.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
AMD on ROG lineup next to Nvidia.
Their exclusive gaming line to be nvidia exclusive, they can't like make Red republic of gamers if we're fed correct information.
Well, no. The info we have says there should be some ROG (or similar) line comprised solely of Nvidia products. Nowhere is it specified a similar line for AMD is forbidden.

Well, no. The info we have says there should be some ROG (or similar) line comprised solely of Nvidia products. Nowhere is it specified a similar line for AMD is forbidden.
I dont think anyone really cares they want to bitch
come on man don't you know that xbox will save pc gaming.
amd is got nothing to bring to pc gaming with there top line 1 card does it all bs
lets face it nv puts out something only for pc on there hardware that they could never get on a console they bitch and say its bad for gaming.if amd would just stop looking for frame rate and bring us features we can see that we could not run on a console maybe there would be a reason to spend more for a gpu
this has nothing to do with end users you want to cry for asus giga and msi so be it they don't have your back.
neither does ms Intel Samsung or apple.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I dont think anyone really cares they want to bitch
come on man don't you know that xbox will save pc gaming.
amd is got nothing to bring to pc gaming with there top line 1 card does it all bs
lets face it nv puts out something only for pc on there hardware that they could never get on a console they bitch and say its bad for gaming.if amd would just stop looking for frame rate and bring us features we can see that we could not run on a console maybe there would be a reason to spend more for a gpu
this has nothing to do with end users you want to cry for asus giga and msi so be it they don't have your back.
neither does ms Intel Samsung or apple.
What's worse is that I'm convinced if roles were reversed and AMD became the top dog, they'd be doing exactly what Nvidia is doing now. Companies aren't trying to gain market share because they're evil. They're doing it because that's their business.
And the GPU market isn't a healthy market. It's an oligopoly. And when you get an oligopoly, this is exactly the kind of behavior you can and should expect.

exactly brother
you see the stock price?
they have to do things like this to keep the wheel spinning
the tick tock launches ai in cars pro user hardware. like mentioned above nv has amd at every turn because they sit on there ass.the same will happen for the cpus also just give it a year or two

I hope Kyle has to buy his own cards from both sides now just because he was being a little bitch.
then we will see how he rates them for games

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
exactly brother
you see the stock price?
they have to do things like this to keep the wheel spinning
the tick tock launches ai in cars pro user hardware. like mentioned above nv has amd at every turn because they sit on there ass.the same will happen for the cpus also just give it a year or two

I hope Kyle has to buy his own cards from both sides now just because he was being a little bitch.
I don't have a problem with Kyle. I believe he did his due diligence. What I have a problem with is that for the time being he is the only one with a perspective that shows GPP is harmful to consumer choice. That is enough for me to put the subject on my watch list. In order to me go grab my pitchfork, I need this confirmed from other sources.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Exactly how was he being “a little bitch”? When he first got wind of it, should he not have done his careful and pretty thorough investigation? What better way to prove or disprove what a source first told him? He was DOING HIS JOB as a journalist, not being “a little bitch.”

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Exactly how was he being “a little bitch”? When he first got wind of it, should he not have done his careful and pretty thorough investigation? What better way to prove or disprove what a source first told him? He was DOING HIS JOB as a journalist, not being “a little bitch.”
the sky is falling
wake up nv has 70% of the pc gaming market
if he want to put out a tear jerker over it being so unjust and monopolistic tell him to wait and see if it does do any harm to pc users
its just bs that could go the rounds in the pr world not the public at this point fake news

about the vid done on it what a joke
more assholes opinon yeah you eat that shit up
I need another 5 year break from this site

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
the sky is falling
wake up nv has 70% of the pc gaming market
if he want to put out a tear jerker over it being so unjust and monopolistic tell him to wait and see if it does do any harm to pc users
its just bs that could go the rounds in the pr world not the public at this point fake news

more assholes opinon yeah you eat that shit up
I need another 5 year from this site
Um, he never said any of that. Lack of journalistic oversight and lack of people like you caring is how things get all effed up in the world.

Your last sentence is unintelligible. Despite two degrees I cannot figure out just exactly what it is you want to say. Edit: actually most of the post.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Here's a video done on it.

I hope you realize that doesn't count as an alternative confirmation of Kyle's claims. It's just a rehash of his article.

Um, he never said any of that. Lack of journalistic oversight and lack of people like you caring is how things get all effed up in the world.

Your last sentence is unintelligible. Despite two degrees I cannot figure out just exactly what it is you want to say. Edit: actually most of the post.
maybe you need to hit the books more and less gaming?
the degrees came from a box?
read what you said again..i could figure it out but its so wrong on more then one academic level its not even funny
why the hell would I care about some multi million dollar company? or that of 2 gpu makers 1 falters and 1 successes you see the prices? you see the games they make? dx12?
you need a degree to tell you when not to care about the state of pc gaming?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
maybe you need to hit the books more and less gaming?
the degrees came from a box?
read what you said again..i could figure it out but its so wrong on more then one academic level its not even funny
why the hell would I care about some multi million dollar company? or that of 2 gpu makers 1 falters and 1 successes you see the prices? you see the games they make? dx12?
you need a degree to tell you when not to care about the state of pc gaming?
Your writing is atrocious. I recommend you go back to school and learn some English.

It actually will matter in the long run, for users that have brand affinity, since they may end up needing to change to another one when their favorite no longer has the benefit of engineering assistance.

Lastly, why has this got you so angry? I suggest availing yourself of some mental health services.

What's even more ironic is that as unpolished and rushed as it was, was still better than series 4000 and 5000 from ATi... to find something good we must go back to 2000 series or even before that, or forward to 7000 series and 200/300 to nowadays and even there they were still behind nvidia.
You're misremembering. The 580 and 680 were on par with the 5970 and the 7970 respectively. The 6K series was a bit of a performance drop but they also dropped prices accordingly.

Your writing is atrocious. I recommend you go back to school and learn some English.

It actually will matter in the long run, for users that have brand affinity, since they may end up needing to change to another one when their favorite no longer has the benefit of engineering assistance.

Lastly, why has this got you so angry? I suggest availing yourself of some mental health services.
yours is not much better with all those degrees you have and now med school?
but you just have to respond to me

we all know how smart you are to argue over opinion but to show us your fine breeding also on the spread of baseless opinion and rumors are priceless.to have added to the conspiracy does not one bit of good
if you think that the gaming community should be so divided all the time we have you and the others to thank
now you could show us how long you have been around and come to the realization that it hurts AMD the most.
we have a vast amount of companys to buy cards from maybe too many infact.
so keep driving the knife in pc gaming.
All it come down it is nv not wanting to advertise the same named card as the other guy.
now you know it my opinion and conjunction but nv is ready to put a fork in the other brand they are going to hit gaming hard this year. while amd puts out mining cards that are slower but cost more yeah I should be all feeling great and shit.
then when we do get something pc only that adds to the looks(its 2018 man) the sides will bitch again

Last edited:
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
You're misremembering. The 580 and 680 were on par with the 5970 and the 7970 respectively. The 6K series was a bit of a performance drop but they also dropped prices accordingly.

No, i'm not, i even went checking before writing my post, all gpu comparison sites and a few benchmarks gave both the 580 and 680 the advantage, actually besides everything even the first fail fermi 4xx was faster than its counterpart...

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
No, i'm not, i even went checking before writing my post, all gpu comparison sites and a few benchmarks gave both the 580 and 680, actually besides everything even the first fail fermi 4xx was faster than its counterpart...
Well, they were technically faster, but within 10% or so. Nothing you could pick up with the naked eye. TPU's reviews show similar perf/$ ratios.