• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Initial AMD Technical Assessment of CTS Labs Research

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Pascal VBios can be read and modified and flashed, you just need some hardware-tools.

and with maxwell you need a certificate bypass in nvflash

i flashed dozends of maxwell cards, and modified their Vbios with a hexeditor to get the 2 missing volt-sliders in the maxwellbiostweaker

deleting the shitty VRel-Stuff

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Basically any chinese products will have backdoors whether its cellphone, router or any other electronic device capable of communicating over network.
https://www.computerworlduk.com/sec...rs-that-heped-kill-faith-in-security-3634220/
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/huawei-nsa-nightmare

You forgot concrete buildings.
https://qz.com/1192493/china-spied-on-african-union-headquarters-for-five-years/

HOLY... o_O

How is this not a bigger deal?

It is. The big three have issued warnings on the case.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/14/technology/huawei-intelligence-chiefs/index.html
But after the Kaspersky fiasco, I doubt they could go into full ban mode without first stocking the FUD flames. The bitter taste of PRISM revelations still lingers as well.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
So its AsMediaFlaws then?

So chinese copied Russians when it came to spying using concrete.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(listening_device)
https://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/15/world/the-bugged-embassy-case-what-went-wrong.html

If I remember correctly one of the reasons why NSA kept quite over Huawei backdoors was they used it to spy over other countries which were using Huawei routers on their network. Snowden was the one who brought it light and its one of the reasons why he had to flee USA.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
"Any attacker gaining unauthorized administrative access would have a wide range of attacks at their disposal well beyond the exploits identified in this research "

this answer to all ; only the masterkey attack could remain permanent but can be fixed through bios update

looking forward to see the next cts report for other hardware also .....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Which is crazy stupid.

I've always maintained hardware security is stupid and just limits your control over your own pc, but no one cares much what frogs think at big name companies...

So, basically AMD silently confirmed all I've been saying the entire time. CTS made massive drama over nothing just to show off their e-penis, starting with the ridiculous 24 hour time frame for AMD to respond to excuses how they didn't know about the unwritten protocol. It just makes them look unprofessional and most will basically ignore the stuff they post in the future. The fact you need admin access makes this basically a non issue. And the demonstration video they made, they were running it in local network. I'm not expert on networking, but I'm pretty certain one does not just open a powershell and magically connect to a remote system behind firewalls/IPS systems. So, you need actual ability to connect to a remote system which has admin privileges "on" by default. That's about as likely to be exploitable as winning a lottery.

Nothing to see here folks. No, literally nothing to see here. Move on.

CTS made massive drama over nothing just to show off their e-penis
Nothing to see here folks. No, literally nothing to see here. Move on.
I would hardly call a vulnerability that opens an unstoppable and undetectable set of back-doors "nothing". The difficulty of execution doesn't change the fact that it can be done. This is no different that any other vulnerability, such as Meltdown and especially Spectre, and needs to be taken just as seriously.

You proclaiming that it is any less serious than it actually is borders on the deranged and is nothing less than reckless and irresponsible.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Pascal VBios can be read and modified and flashed, you just need some hardware-tools.

and with maxwell you need a certificate bypass in nvflash

i flashed dozends of maxwell cards, and modified their Vbios with a hexeditor to get the 2 missing volt-sliders in the maxwellbiostweaker

deleting the shitty VRel-Stuff

Maxwell have tools to bypass certificate, I've done tens of maxwells for people.
Only gpu.. wait, Only hardware I haven't been able to flash custom stuff on in my possession over the years is the vega.

I would hardly call a vulnerability that opens an unstoppable and undetectable set of back-doors "nothing". The difficulty of execution doesn't change the fact that it can be done. This is no different that any other vulnerability, such as Meltdown and especially Spectre, and needs to be taken just as seriously.

You proclaiming that it is any less serious than it actually is borders on the deranged and is nothing less than reckless and irresponsible.

So where is their finding on Intel, IBM, Samsung, Apple ?
it's all in the same ballpark.

System Name Steamy
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350M-Pro4
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory 2x8GB HX429C15PB3AK2/16
Video Card(s) R9 290X WC
Storage 960Evo 500GB nvme
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/kinski/ http://valid.x86.fr/qfxqhj https://goo.gl/uWkw7n

Unstoppable and undetectable set of back-doors IF condition a (specific motherboard) b (OS installed on metal, not VM) c (administrative privileges) d (no BIOS password) e (unlimited network access within domain) f (motherboard accepts the modified bios - which they did verify as hit-and-miss) are met.

Again, as pointed out multiple times by multiple contributors, if these conditions are met they allow for anyone to do almost anything within such environment anyway.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
So, basically:

AMD confirms all reported vulnerabilities
AMD sees the vulnerabilities as somewhat substantial and will release updates to patch the vulnerabilities
AMD does not expect any performance decreases (TBD)
AMD needs to improve the efficiency of PR
CTS Labs research was validated
CTS Labs needs to learn and execute best practices and better ethics

End of story for now.

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
This is basically AMD's equivalent of the flaws found in Intel's secure processor once it was found to be running Minix.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So, basically:

AMD confirms all reported vulnerabilities
AMD sees the vulnerabilities as somewhat substantial and will release updates to patch the vulnerabilities
AMD does not expect any performance decreases (TBD)
AMD needs to improve the efficiency of PR
CTS Labs research was validated
CTS Labs needs to learn and execute best practices and better ethics

End of story for now.
Well said. There were many many people who didnt believe these were true at all. Couldnt really blame them, but... there is something to be said for a measured approach to things.

....just looked down, both my hands are pud free... ;)

People are still defending it too...?

"Difficulty of execution doesn't change the fact that it can be done" By that logic, everything is vulnerable. It doesn't matter how hard it maybe is to exploit it or if there even is anything, but we can just safely assume that everything is and can be exploited. Better remove everything from the market then.

Let me repat it again:

- need to be first capable to connect to a targeted system
- remote system needs to be admin enabled during interaction
- you have to know which board exactly is used in the system to flash it successfully

That's one hell of an "if" factors don't you think? People who think you just open up CMD and type in some gibberish and voila, you're connected like a tr00 hacker need to stop watching movies.

And if you read back my posts, I never said findings are fake. I just said method of publishing it was absolutely retarded and that all the generated drama around it is pointless as severity isn't nearly as high as they make it seem to be. Because of above 3 reasons.

- need to be first capable to connect to a targeted system
- remote system needs to be admin enabled during interaction
- you have to know which board exactly is used in the system to flash it successfully
Are two of those three things even difficult though? Access to systems aren't a huge hurdle. If you can get #1, #3 is easy.

Like I've said, accessing remote systems is not what movies show you. You don't just mash the keyboard a bit and boom, you're connected to remote system in 15 seconds. Things don't work that way. Then, if you have no admin privileges, you're basically screwed with this "exploit". You need to find an exploit or vulnerability to escalate privileges which puts this entire Ryzen thing into a secondary tier. It's no longer a primary concern.

Which is why this whole thing is a lot of drama and nothing else. Sure, AMD needs to fix secondary issues with their Secure Processor part, but that's about it. A security problem like any other found on daily basis no one makes massive drama around.

Privilege escalation exploits are the worst. They give you access to protected system without any admin credentials. Here, it is assumed that you have them by default. That's one hell of an assumption that makes the "exploit" ineffective entirely.

Exploit is when you bypass the mechanisms using unconventional methods. What this here is, is a mere design flaw because you need all the privileges an actual official manager of the system would need to make these changes.

Rej, I understand, completely, what it takes to reach other systems (my question was, I thought, obviously facetious). #1 is 'easy', #3 naturally falls with #1. So you are left, essentially, with admin authority being the most difficult of those three. ;)

We all understand it isn't a huge deal...but a deal that nonetheless needs to be taken care of as they are doing.

On a side note, I wonder if CTS is going to get any jobs after this debacle of theirs? lol

I have to wonder how willing anyone would be to work with CTS after this. If they stick around.

Edit: I see EarthDog beat me to the punch on this.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
This is basically AMD's equivalent of the flaws found in Intel's secure processor once it was found to be running Minix.
Almost, except amd pushed an agesa update last year allowing theirs to be turned off after Intels debacle.

Rej, I understand, completely, what it takes to reach other systems (my question was, I thought, obviously facetious). #1 is 'easy', #3 naturally falls with #1. So you are left, essentially, with admin authority being the most difficult of those three. ;)

We all understand it isn't a huge deal...but a deal that nonetheless needs to be taken care of as they are doing.

On a side note, I wonder if CTS is going to get any jobs after this debacle of theirs? lol

Again, it's a one massive "if" when one step entirely negates the so called "exploit". The point of exploit is that there are no counter-measures until it's patched accordingly. Not having admin access being a show stopper is a laughable prerequisite for something they call an "exploit"...

Plenty of massive "ifs" have been exploited before. If this wasn't a worry, AMD would have refuted these things instead of acknowledging them, putting them in a proper context, and offering fixes for everything.

It really isn't a big deal many speculated this (many denied there even was an issue), but again, it's a deal that needs to be mitigated none the less.

*shows hands.... pud free*

I just said method of publishing it was absolutely retarded and that all the generated drama around it is pointless as severity isn't nearly as high as they make it seem to be. Because of above 3 reasons.
That doesn't prove that it can't be done, it only proves your lack of proper understand of the problems and the severity of same.

If this wasn't a worry, AMD would have refuted these things instead of acknowledging them, putting them in a proper context, and offering fixes for everything.
Absolutely correct.