• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Confessions of a Crypto Miner: Green(er) Mining

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Welcome back to "Confessions of a Crypto Miner," my column about a crypto miner from 2013 trying to get caught up with the latest standards. I'm presently mining and reporting to you from a dual-GTX 1080 based rig mining zCash. Today, I'm going to talk about saving energy and reducing a miner's impact on the environment. How can you do that, you ask? Simple: Consolidation.

Mining inherently consumes a lot of energy, but a lot of things we do as tech geeks are actually not all that efficient. Case in point, my NAS I've had for years. Old Lenovo server-something or another, modded pretty hardcore, but still energy-drinking to the core. It's based around a Core 2 Quad and uses around 400W of power on its own when not doing much of anything more than being an NAS. It features big RAID arrays and big blower fans, none of which I really need in this day and age and all of which consume power. I've been thinking since I got my Ryzen quad core mining rig: What's to stop me from mining and doing my NAS stuff on the same rig, thus saving power? As it so happens, not much. My miner has the same memory size as the old Lenovo DDR2 solution and a far more energy efficient, likely faster CPU. So I can fold that 400 W server into my 550 W of mining, far reducing my footprint in a green sense. Let's get to it.

There are some caveats of course (aren't there always?) I don't have enough CALs to use Windows Server (my license is an old Academic one), so we'll be going Linux. In this case, Gentoo, since it's what I'm familiar with and I like its performance when you get it going.

Gentoo is a source-based distribution, so if you want to follow along, I suggest a strong understanding of Linux-based systems. Most of what you need can be found in the Gentoo Handbook at Gentoo.org. I will glance over a lot of the low-level stuff and just briefly describe my process for posterity.

I started off with a basic system AMD64 install with Ryzen optimizations to the make.conf, and then I proceeded to follow the respective guides for X11, the NVIDIA binary driver, and XFCE. For XFCE, I set it up with very little installed and minimalist to the core. I set up a browser (Firefox), a process manager for killing processes in the GUI (mate-system-manager), and a GUI package manager for Gentoo's portage package management system called "porthole" (clever, eh?). I also installed a binary remote desktop management system (RealVNC), for which I already have a license. Its advantage is that is supports native encrypted connections, but you can find other open source solutions if you dig around; they just require more setup. I also installed Samba for the NAS functions. Samba is the Linux equipvalent of Windows File Sharing and is compatible with the latter. Configuring Samba's smb.conf is beyond the scope of this article, but it's really not hard, especially if you are just doing a "family folder" style setup like me.

Once all that is done, I have a desktop that looks roughly like this:

The next thing to do, is get our miners and wallets functioning again. Storing your coins on the machine that mines them is not exactly the best security practice, but it does save energy vs firing up another machine, and the risk can be mitigated by periodic cash-out or transfer to cold storage (paper for me). Again, in this case I am choosing the energy saving option, and I am powering down a small highly firewalled system that in the past ran wallet software 24/7. Between all this, the miner at 550W is now running virtually for free if you count all the energy reductions, so why don't we CPU mine while we are at it? We will not just load our typical mining setup of EWBF's CUDA-based Zcash miner, but also xmr-stak, a highly capable Monero miner for the CPU. It will use half our CPU, or 2 cores, leaving enough power for the wallets and NAS to function. In an earlier column I talked about Monero not being worth it, but I feel it might be worth giving it another try, to see what comes out of it.

First, let's start with the wallets. We grab our wallet files and install the official Zcash client from source using the guide at the Zcash site. It's a simple CLI client, so I also load a Java-based SwingUI GUI from GitHub to pipe the commands and make management easier (note, the client is marked deprecated, but works fine). All this is compiled relatively easily in Gentoo, which is pretty much a complete development environment having gotten this far. The only thing I needed to emerge (install) to complete this is oracle-jdk-bin, which is the package for the Java 8 SDK needed to compile the SwingUI based GUI.

The GUI, when finished, imports the wallet fine and looks like this (probably time for a weekly cash-out, speaking of which!):

Next, I install Electron Cash, a Bitcoin Cash light client wallet (I seldom hold Zcash, and this is where most of my coin is now for lower fees and higher liquidity at cash-out). It installs relatively easily as well, as it's based on Python and its dependency list is easily installable via porthole, the GUI package manager we already met earlier.

Note that there is an ebuild (Gentoo Package) for Electron Cash. Don't use it. It's woefully out of date and has dangerous security loopholes. Why it isn't blocked on the Gentoo repository is beyond me.

Now, with those set up, we can download the binary EWBF's CUDA miner, which installs easily because it is binary, and then xmr-stak, whose build guide is easy to follow and also installs easily and with few dependencies besides openssl and obvious things. We have them installed now and point them to our pools. They are waiting to fire up, but I have one more thing I want: Wine, which is a Windows emulator for Linux.

Why do I want Wine? Because I have a funky old UPS that carries my miner through short circuits that plague our location. It doesn't run long, but it allows it to shut down properly, and it stops short circuits from resetting everything. It's an Opti-UPS GS1100B, which is a known Windows-only non-HID compliant piece of crap that requires some Windows software to function. The Windows software communicates over a virtual COM port on USB, which surprisingly, the latest Wine supports. We emerge (install) it, and check .wine/dosdevices to make sure the mappings are right. We find our USB UPS COM port present on COM5 as a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB0

Feeding that to the software gets us some figures:

It passes a self-test, as evidenced in this screenshot; communication is thus working (note the load meter does not work during a self-test. It is normally at about 80%):

Now, finally, it's time to kick things online. I write some startup scripts, assign them to startup via settings-manager - Session and Startup in Xfce, and reboot. I am greeted by the following:

We're mining happily, and the file server works fine. I'm even hosting a DLNA server on the side. I guess what I want you to take away from this as a miner is, your miner can do more than mining cryptocurrency. Consolidate. Just because we're miners doesn't mean we can't "think green." That's silly. Turn some things off and reduce your power and carbon footprint to compensate for the big one you'll be making while mining. Then, the next time someone calls you "mining scum" and accuses you of polluting the planet more than the average geek, you can happily prove them wrong. And why not? At least for a small-time miner, it isn't hard to do, it's fun, and that's part of why we IT types do everything we do, is it not? This guide isn't the only way, but there certainly are ways to accomplish what I'm saying. Get to it!

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I really dislike all these off topic articles trying to justify mining.
Sounds like you're trying to clear your conscience in the face of the overwhelming dislike for mining activities among the users of this website.

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Agreed. Especially dislike mining and the propaganda this OP keeps swaying. Mining is cancer - Die.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Sounds like you're trying to clear your conscience in the face of the overwhelming dislike for mining activities among the users of this website.

More I'm trying to encourage fellow miners to lower their eco footprint. And ask a question: Why can't one do both?

My consience is clean but I still can do more, so why not?

Also, we are host to a great many miners here. I don't feel that anti-mining sentiment is "overwhelming" but it certainly is disproportionally noisy at times.

The average person doesn't have a NAS in the first place

The average miner likely has a lot of "nerd toys" around that consume a lot of energy. It doesn't have to be an NAS.

I also took a plasma screen down this week, but that was more because it toasted my room to a an uncomfortable temp. FWIW, the thing drew an average of 400W.

and consolidating that into your mining rig does nothing to justify the latter.

Why not? I run a payment network without increasing my energy bill. Win win. What is the harm here? If anything, your argument has suddenly become against energy consumption in general.

Agreed. Especially dislike mining and the propaganda this OP keeps swaying. Mining is cancer - Die.

I bet it would shock you to find out I'm actually anti-POW... which is mining. :p I just don't have a better answer yet for what's to replace it. Part of why I am doing this article series is to learn it's pitfalls, and how to mitigate them until we have a better answer.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

Frankly, most people don't care two farts about what anyone else thinks. The point of these articles is to educate...you know, the more you know type stuff. Thanks for coming though.

@R-T-B I might have another windows server license if you ever need it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
@R-T-B I might have another windows server license if you ever need it.

Thanks, but then all my compiling and emerging in gentoo would feel like a waste... maybe later. ;)

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Thanks, but then all my compiling and emerging in gentoo would feel like a waste... maybe later. ;)

Understood. Thanks for the article, I hadn't really considered moving my home server into my miner but not a bad idea. Still wishing I had gone with 1070's or better so I could pull one right now and use it in my gaming rig.

System Name Game / Work
Processor Amd 1800X @3900 / Intel 9600kf @ 4600
Motherboard Asus C VI H / Msi z390 A pro
Cooling air atm / liquid
Memory 16gb 4000mhz @3400 / 16 gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Msi 1080ti / Amd Radeon pro w5500
Storage Ocz rd400 512 gb m2 + Seagate Exos 4 tb / 250gb Kingston A2000 + WD 2tb Gold
Display(s) Aoc 32" qhd
Case Working on a new project
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro + Logitech Z 623
Power Supply seasonic 1050 snow white / CM V750 Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Gskill Ripjaws KM 780 MX
Software W 10 pro 64 / W 10 pro 64
Benchmark Scores Just checked, the computer still works.
By chance, is there anyone that catch the idea that the evolution of gaming development and new tech hardware is slowing down because of mining demand,
seriously, I don´t see AMD or Nvidia making new ( not rebranded) stuff for miners or gamers.
Been up to date was never so future proof.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
More I'm trying to encourage fellow miners to lower their eco footprint. And ask a question: Why can't one do both?

My consience is clean but I still can do more, so why not?

When you see cryptomining takes the same energy as an average country maybe the question around this topic is why not stop. Or give that compute power to research.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wow this series of articles went from a good, fun start of someone who saw the light after being pointed to it numerous times, to a very weird, twisted kind of logic that somehow its good to reduce the energy footprint of a 100% wasteful business with only one goal: getting wealthy at the cost of others.

You earn zero points from me and you should just stop already, its starting to look ridiculous. You're just justifying your own idiocy (and failing at it, mind you..)

'Greener mining'... they call that a Contradictio in terminis

Comments like this:
"Then, the next time someone calls you "mining scum" and accuses you of polluting the planet more than the average geek, you can happily prove them wrong. "

Its just painful to read.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
TPU, I have a great idea. Let's start having article take down requests DMCA style. That way users who don't like mining, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, XBox, Playstation, Microsoft, Linux, etc, etc, cann all just request articles they don't like to be taken down. Then, everyone can be happy and no feelings will be hurt and TPU will have......no content. May as well take red out the logo as it is aggressive and can scare people.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
TPU, I have a great idea. Let's start having article take down requests DMCA style. That way users who don't like mining, Intel, Nvidia, AMD, XBox, Playstation, Microsoft, Linux, etc, etc, cann all just request articles they don't like to be taken down. Then, everyone can be happy and no feelings will be hurt and TPU will have......no content. May as well take red out the logo as it is aggressive and can scare people.

Feelings hurt? This is what feedback looks like, and its up to the OP to do whatever he wants with it. For all I care he writes a novel about mining, I just won't even read it because any sort of credibility was lost to me.

That is exactly the problem today, people can't take feedback anymore, and have to resort to extremes instead, like censorship. Really odd.

ppn

2 or 3 1000MW nuclear power units produce nuclear waste 24/7 to be unsafely stored for millennia just so that this ponzi can operate for few years, constantly requiring new blocks to validate transactions. and getting slower and slower. it is beyond criminal at this point. Ye yeah saving few watts until difficulty bombs.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
i see some people blame mining for high power usage around world... but what about gaming? gaming don't use power? what do we win completing a game? nothing ,but we still use power; so let's stop playing games to be greener...?!

Let's be clear here ~ crypto currencies & mining aren't going away anytime soon. As much as I hate the concept & deride it, I'll concede everyone of us is greedy at times, most of the time for something or the other. It may not be money, perhaps entertainment or something else.
The best way to keep this monster in check is to tax mining & the monetary gains, just make it incredibly hard for people to be instant millionaires overnight. I believe the reason this isn't happening is because big money & a large number of investors have enough friends in the establishment to make sure their gains aren't taxed.

Last edited:
System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
i see some people blame mining for high power usage around world... but what about gaming? gaming don't use power? what do we win completing a game? nothing ,but we still use power; so let's stop playing games to be greener...?!
The moment you put entertainment at the same level of a make believe currency you should admit you are wrong. Why don't we go back to caves?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
When you see cryptomining takes the same energy as an average country maybe the question around this topic is why not stop. Or give that compute power to research.

I'm not of the opinion that it HAS to take that much energy, hence ideas like this for smalltime miners (who aren't the problem really, the big farms are).

Yes, I recognize this is useless to big farms who are the main offenders. But it still helps. And I am of the opinion cryptocurrency has good to do for the world yet, we are just in an infancy stage. Wishing it away when it clearly ISN'T going away isn't helping.

The moment you put entertainment at the same level of a make believe currency you should admit you are wrong. Why don't we go back to caves?

I enjoy my mining project. He's... not entirely wrong.

twisted kind of logic that somehow its good to reduce the energy footprint of a 100% wasteful business

Out of curiousity, what is wrong with that logic? Serious question. My aim is not to justify mining (I view it as a silly if interesting enterprise), but to reduce it's impact.

What would you like to see more of vs this?

I basically just write "what I did last week" at this point, but I can write about other angles if it's wanted.

And yes, "green(er) mining" is an intentional contradiction. Plus the college I come from (Evergreen) has the somewhat deragatory local term "greeners" for the student base so it's a bit of an easter egg.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
By chance, is there anyone that catch the idea that the evolution of gaming development and new tech hardware is slowing down because of mining demand,
seriously, I don´t see AMD or Nvidia making new ( not rebranded) stuff for miners or gamers.
Been up to date was never so future proof.

Or could it be amd hasn't released a competing product since the 7950/7970? Much like the fx vs core I series issue we saw with amd and Intel.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Or could it be amd hasn't released a competing product since the 7950/7970? Much like the fx vs core I series issue we saw with amd and Intel.

I'd argue Hawaii was competitive for a little bit, but still, point stands.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I'd argue Hawaii was competitive for a little bit, but still, point stands.

Kind of double the power and huge amounts of noise because of it. Definitely did not make the waves that Tahiti did.

If you mine you consume energy.
If you consume energy, you are contributing to global warming.

Greener mining is stopping mining. Not some story over your NAS.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
If you game you consume energy.

Greener gaming is stopping gaming.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
What if you mine during the winter instead of using electric heat?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If you mine you consume energy.

Greener mining is stopping mining. Not some story over your NAS.

Coward.

If you game you consume energy.

Greener gaming is stopping gaming.

That really is the point, isn't it?

We all consume energy doing things we love. I make an article about how to compensate for that and somehow that's cowardly? I really can't see that. I try to understand all the replies but a lot of this just seems to be irrational hatred at the expense of logic.

Mining IS a flawed practice, but some of us enjoy it and do it as a hobby. A lot of things we as tech geeks do for a hobby consume undue amounts of power, but if every one of us tech guys tried to do a little of the above consolidation in any of our tech activities (mining, crunching, hosting, whatever) it could do some good. That's not cowardly, that's being productive. Cowardly is not giving a shit.

What if you mine during the winter instead of using electric heat?

We already heat the cold side of the house with the miner. One room only though, because unfortunately, 600W of power doesn't heat too much. It is still pretty cold here in Washington.

For the record, I am not pro mining and I have no plan to mine beyond years end (which was my original contractual term for the agreement with this article). This is more an experiment to see how an average miner can mine at full capacity and still reduce his impact (as well as maximize his profits... they are NOT mutually exclusive). I'm trying to solve a problem rather than whine endlessly at it. The way I see it, I'm doing a good thing. Something that actually can make a difference. You seem to miss that entirely.

This article obviously didn't strike the right chord. BESIDES just turning off my miner and quitting, which can't happen anymore than the world can be expected to stop crypto in general, do you have any suggestions on what the next piece should be? I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking about maybe a piece on how crypto functions and particularly, where it falls flat: The Proof of Work mining method we all have learned to hate, and maybe a brainstorm attempt on what could replace it.

Kind of double the power and huge amounts of noise because of it. Definitely did not make the waves that Tahiti did.

No, but at least it held it's own.

Last edited: