• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Acquire GitHub for $7.5 Billion

Microsoft Corp. on Monday announced it has reached an agreement to acquire GitHub, the world's leading software development platform where more than 28 million developers learn, share and collaborate to create the future. Together, the two companies will empower developers to achieve more at every stage of the development lifecycle, accelerate enterprise use of GitHub, and bring Microsoft's developer tools and services to new audiences.

"Microsoft is a developer-first company, and by joining forces with GitHub we strengthen our commitment to developer freedom, openness and innovation," said Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft. "We recognize the community responsibility we take on with this agreement and will do our best work to empower every developer to build, innovate and solve the world's most pressing challenges."

Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion in Microsoft stock. Subject to customary closing conditions and completion of regulatory review, the acquisition is expected to close by the end of the calendar year.

GitHub will retain its developer-first ethos and will operate independently to provide an open platform for all developers in all industries. Developers will continue to be able to use the programming languages, tools and operating systems of their choice for their projects - and will still be able to deploy their code to any operating system, any cloud and any device.

Microsoft Corporate Vice President Nat Friedman, founder of Xamarin and an open source veteran, will assume the role of GitHub CEO. GitHub's current CEO, Chris Wanstrath, will become a Microsoft technical fellow, reporting to Executive Vice President Scott Guthrie, to work on strategic software initiatives.

"I'm extremely proud of what GitHub and our community have accomplished over the past decade, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead. The future of software development is bright, and I'm thrilled to be joining forces with Microsoft to help make it a reality," Wanstrath said. "Their focus on developers lines up perfectly with our own, and their scale, tools and global cloud will play a huge role in making GitHub even more valuable for developers everywhere."

Today, every company is becoming a software company and developers are at the center of digital transformation; they drive business processes and functions across organizations from customer service and HR to marketing and IT. And the choices these developers make will increasingly determine value creation and growth across every industry. GitHub is home for modern developers and the world's most popular destination for open source projects and software innovation. The platform hosts a growing network of developers in nearly every country representing more than 1.5 million companies across healthcare, manufacturing, technology, financial services, retail and more.

Upon closing, Microsoft expects GitHub's financials to be reported as part of the Intelligent Cloud segment. Microsoft expects the acquisition will be accretive to operating income in fiscal year 2020 on a non-GAAP basis, and to have minimal dilution of less than 1 percent to earnings per share in fiscal years 2019 and 2020 on a non-GAAP basis, based on the expected close time frame. Non-GAAP excludes expected impact of purchase accounting adjustments, as well as integration and transaction-related expenses. An incremental share buyback, beyond Microsoft's recent historical quarterly pace, is expected to offset stock consideration paid within six months after closing. Microsoft will use a portion of the remaining ~$30 billion of its current share repurchase authorization for the purchase.

Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP is acting as legal advisor to Microsoft. Morgan Stanley is acting as exclusive financial advisor to GitHub, while Fenwick & West LLP is acting as its legal advisor.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's both a bargain and a waste of $7.5 billion.

It's a bargain because Microsoft can now see the source code of every commit ever made to GitHub since its inception, open-source or closed-source, public or non-public, free software or proprietary software.

It's a waste of $7.5 billion because no software developer outside Microsoft with more than one neuron between their ears will ever touch GitHub again.

It's a bargain because Microsoft can now see the source code of every commit ever made to GitHub since its inception, open-source or closed-source, public or non-public, free software or proprietary software.

It's a waste of $7.5 billion because no software developer outside Microsoft with more than one neuron between their ears will ever touch GitHub again.
I thought we addressed this in the other thread, what happened o_O

Absolutely agree. There is nothing proprietary or exclusive that GitHub has to offer other than its userbase. If Microsoft comes in too aggressively, you'll see the users run off elsewhere (to whichever platform comes next), and the value plummet.

Well, as I said in another post, they can use the GitHub source code to implement it in Office 365 as a "new" solution and merge it with other product for more added collaboration functionality with other Office product. Would be a paid version and keep the GitHub standard as open source.

Would be great to implement a security tho to protect the codes stocked in GitHub (like MEGA, a key that they can't even access). I guess not much people trust them and their business practices.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

If you didn't have a problem with others seeing your code when you initially sent it to remote computers, why would you have a problem now?
And for those that did have a problem, there's on-premises GitHub Enterprise.

I will. Why wouldn't I?

Absolutely agree. There is nothing proprietary or exclusive that GitHub has to offer other than its userbase. If Microsoft comes in too aggressively, you'll see the users run off elsewhere (to whichever platform comes next), and the value plummet.
Between integrated wiki, issue tracker and code reviews and analytics, I'd say there's a lot of exclusive stuff GitHub has to offer. Not in the sense nobody has done it before, but in the sense GitHub is probably the most convenient one-stop shop solution for all the above.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'd think quite a few would. Not everyone is a Microsoft competitor.
I have no particular love for Microsoft, but why would I stop using GitHub just because they bought it? As long as they don't mess with it, it's still the same GitHub that's been helping us for years.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I have no particular love for Microsoft, but why would I stop using GitHub just because they bought it? As long as they don't mess with it, it's still the same GitHub that's been helping us for years.

Because they will monetize or mess with it. It's what they do.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
You're making it sound as if it's a bad thing, unfairly hurting others (competitors?) is but not the first part.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

Yep, I'm betting so. But I keep an open mind. If they really don't change much, I'll still use it.

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
How many posts are made here using windows OS?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

And how many hate it every day of it for decades? They've been liars, cheats, incompetent, and criminal from day 1. I hope Gates gets disemboweled....slowly.

Remember when games had a Linux ver on disc? Pepperidge Farm remembers. Then these dickless, mouth breathers bribed all the devs to use the garbage known as DX. You think it's fun being shackled to this crap?

Pirating the junk doesn't absolve them of their sins.

I've been around since 3.1 days and I don't have a short memory.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
gogs, gitea, gitlab. haha. nothing to lose

And how many hate it every day of it for decades? They've been liars, cheats, incompetent, and criminal from day 1. I hope Gates gets disemboweled....slowly.

Remember when games had a Linux ver on disc? Pepperidge Farm remembers. Then these dickless, mouth breathers bribed all the devs to use the garbage known as DX. You think it's fun being shackled to this crap?

Picking up on the subtle hints, I'm guessing you use a Unix/Linux variation as your primary operating system....

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
gogs, gitea, gitlab. haha. nothing to lose
Yeah, I was just having this conversation with a colleague: worse case scenario, GitHub goes south. So what, git is not GitHub.
But again, between today and last week, GitHub is unchanged.

You're making it sound as if it's a bad thing, unfairly hurting others (competitors?) is but not the first part.
Also, like GitHub enterprise or paid accounts aren't already monetizing GitHub.
What can you do, some people see "free software", they think it grows on trees.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10

Are you on drugs? Disemboweled, really?

I'm pretty sure they already have it all anyway. Bing crawls that shit day and night so unfortunately your first point is null and void. As to your second point, eh, people are lazy. What more proof do you need?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Relevance?

Are you actually arguing that high market share somehow absolves them of any wrongs they may commit?

Or worse, that actually using their product makes one less qualified to complain about it?

Last edited:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Never heard of it...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Picking up on the subtle hints, I'm guessing you use a Unix/Linux variation as your primary operating system....

He apparently wishes he could kill himself rather than use Windows, hopefully this will push him over the edge.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Are you on drugs? Disemboweled, really?

Have a thanks. That's a pretty extreme comment and wish for a man who's actually done a lot of humanitarian good in his late life, rich or not.

Have a look.

He apparently wishes he could kill himself rather than use Windows, hopefully this will push him over the edge.

Can we quit with the death wishes, already? Sweet Jeebus.

Never heard of it...

Non-coder identified! Activate sneer routine!

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

Did you know that you can run a Linux VM within Windows using Microsoft's own tools now? Yeah, they're so devious and such assholes, these Microsoft guys.