• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Reveals New Chromax CPU Coolers and Accessories

Sorry @Xzibit but that info is just pure BS. 6W ? BeQuiet specs for SW3 140HS say otherwise. It's 1.68W. Which is also supported with simple calculation of V*A=W. 12V*0.14A=1.68W. I really don't know where you got 6W.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723

I was looking at the downloadable PDF they provide.

Downloads>Documents>Datasheets

12V*0.14A=1.68W
12V*0.5A=6W

Ask be quiet! to clarify what is start and what is max

Neweggs table for BL071
Input Power (W) = 6
Input Current (A) = 0.5

non-PWM

That's some elaborate BS. /s

Last edited:
0.5A is a safety rating, not consumption. Current consumption is 0.14A. It literally says in the specs sheet. Official one, not some 3rd party shop like Newegg which always cock up specs and I don't trust anyone but manufacturer. I don't need to ask anyone, I just need to read the data which is right there, publicly accessible. Why is BeQuiet using an amperage safety rating on the back of the fan instead of actual one, I have no clue. You'll have to ask them. But they do specify ACTUAL consumption current and that's what's realistic. I literally see no physical reason why 2 fans of relatively similar specs would have over 3x difference in power consumption.

BeQuietSW3_SpecSheet.png

0.5A is a safety rating, not consumption. Current consumption is 0.14A. It literally says in the specs sheet. Official one, not some 3rd party shop like Newegg which always cock up specs and I don't trust anyone but manufacturer. I don't need to ask anyone, I just need to read the data which is right there, publicly accessible. Why is BeQuiet using an amperage safety rating on the back of the fan instead of actual one, I have no clue. You'll have to ask them. But they do specify ACTUAL consumption current and that's what's realistic. I literally see no physical reason why 2 fans of relatively similar specs would have over 3x difference in power consumption.

You do realize the video unboxing has those specs on the box as well @0:33. Your asking us not to believe be quiet! yet believe them ?

Last edited:
Dude, can you even read?

https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723

TECHNICAL DATA section. It's LITERALLY all there.

They are 2 possibilities.

Be Quiet! messed up on that spec sheet
Be Quiet! said:
Version: 11/2016 We do not take responsibility for typographical errors. Similar image.
or
Be Quiet! messed up on all retail boxes and fan stickers. Not just this fan but their entire line up.

What do you believe it's more plausible, basically same spec'd fan using over 3x more power than some other for no logical reason what so ever or a bad decision to print something on a box/back of the fan? This is logic and electrical basics. And it's not even a typo, they simply decided to print max current limit. Meaning this thing can be feed by half an amp and not fry for whatever reason. That doesn't mean it actually draws half an amp during normal operation.

What do you believe it's more plausible, basically same spec'd fan using over 3x more power than some other for no logical reason what so ever or a bad decision to print something on a box/back of the fan? This is logic and electrical basics. And it's not even a typo, they simply decided to print max current limit. Meaning this thing can be feed by half an amp and not fry for whatever reason. That doesn't mean it actually draws half an amp during normal operation.

I think someone should test all the popular fans out there to find out.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The current/power draw ratings are tested by a 3rd party agency, atleast if you are selling the fan in the USA, and is a worst case scenario of the highest measurement recorded during startup and operation. In most cases, the actual operating power draw is lesser than the number on the back but that remains the one to be followed when assigning fans to be powered off fan headers.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
Simple fact is, Noctua's are great fans and are not overrated.

I'm using Chromax A-14's for myself, but I considered both the Be Quiet's & noiseblockers to replace my cases stock phantek's. Unfortunately, first I tried to cheap out and try my luck on some Arctic Bionix F140's first. They simply vibrated so much within my case, I couldn't stand to use them. So, eventually I ended up with Noctua's because they have a much lower dba rating at max specified RPM than either the Be Quiet & Noiseblocker.

From personal experience, the only noise I hear up to 1,100 rpm is air and I rarely have the need to run them over that speed.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Holy hell! The fans arent shit colored brown!