• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Launches the Chromebook Plus (V2)

Samsung Electronics America, Inc., announced the Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2), a 2-in-1 convertible designed to help people get the most out of Chrome OS wherever life and work take them. Available at Best Buy starting June 24, the Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) is equipped with a built-in pen and offers a light, thin and stylish design that delivers versatility, portability and a premium experience at a competitive price point.

"Today's consumers want to be able to maximize their communication while also expressing their creativity wherever they are, and the new Samsung Chromebook Plus fulfills that need, " said Alanna Cotton, Senior Vice President and General Manager at Samsung Electronics America. "For those who choose Chrome OS, we wanted to give them a lot of reasons to choose the new Samsung Chromebook Plus, as it is designed especially for people who never stop moving, to match their pace and magnify their creativity."

Delivering a Premium Chromebook Experience
As the number one leader in the premium Chromebook market according to NPD, Samsung's growth continues to take place in the context of the shift to the cloud and the ability of Chrome OS to serve as a more complete operating system. The Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) positions Samsung to maintain its leadership in this space, packing in new functionality and delivering the premium experience many new Chromebook consumers are seeking - all while maintaining its competitive price point.

Built for Flexibility and Productivity
The Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) puts productivity and entertainment at consumers' fingertips and at the tip of the built-in pen. At 2.91 pounds, its thin design makes it easy to slip into a bag and carry all day - or use throughout the day with its extended battery life. Flipping its 12.2" FHD 1920×1080 resolution screen transforms it from notebook to tablet to sketchbook - and back - with two cameras for making it easier to stay connected with friends and sharing with the world. Plus, Chrome OS helps users get more done by providing access to millions of Android apps on Google Play.
  • Front and Rear Facing Cameras to Stay Connected - Communicate visually with the 1M front-facing camera and a 13M F1.9 rear-facing camera with autofocus. Simply fold your laptop into tablet mode and capture your view from any angle. The front camera is ideal for video chats with classmates or clients, friends or family. Plus, store photos and videos right on your cloud.
  • Unleashing Creativity - The Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) stands out by coming with a built-in pen. Experience the power and precision of the stylus. It's always with you when you need it, and it never needs charging. Write a note, sketch out an idea, edit a document, sign a document, or even use the pen to magnify small text and capture carefully cropped screenshots.
  • Do More, Store More - Tackle anything that comes your way, wherever you are, with more power and more storage. The upgraded Intel Celeron processor and long-lasting battery keep you going all day. In addition to users' personal cloud storage, the Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) has 32GB of built-in storage, with the option to add up to 400GB with a microSD card (sold separately) - room for favorite photos, documents and music, as well as for storing movies to watch offline on the go.
  • Premium Design, Premium Experience - designed for comfort and peace of mind, with a curved-cap keyboard built to withstand spills up to 60 cc. The device's rounded edges offer users a comfortable grip whether it's being used as a notebook or a tablet. The Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) offers even more functionality to users with multiple connected devices, including easy file sharing between Chromebook and mobile devices. Smart Lock from Google makes it easy to store and use passwords across your devices.

Availability
The Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) will be available starting on June 24 at BestBuy.com and Best Buy stores, starting at $499.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name latest-greatest
Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard Z690 Rog Strix-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360
Memory corsair vengeance Ddr5 4800
Video Card(s) 2080ti
Storage 980 pro gen4
Display(s) LG C1 4K 120Mhz
Case fractal meshify2
Audio Device(s) Realtec 4080
Power Supply Corsair rm1000x
What has happened to the pricing on Chrome Books? $500 for a Celeron processor, 4GB of memory and 32GB space. Doesn't sound like a great deal.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Yea I remember paying less than $250... What happened

I can live without a touchscreen that's for sure for on a laptop

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
LOL I always thought chromebooks were pointless. Way overpriced at even 250USD. My Lenovo T430 was only 230 some and it's much nicer and has a real OS.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
it is designed especially for people who never stop moving, to match their pace and magnify their creativity.

..Bearded millennial hipster tossers then.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Smartphones and tablets destroyed the chromebook market before the first chromebook was even released. I don't get why it's still a thing.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
But But Chromebooks get better Batt-Life then most laptops

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
That's not everything

Smartphones and tablets destroyed the chromebook market before the first chromebook was even released. I don't get why it's still a thing.
Wanna try that again :rolleyes: 5 Chromebooks in the top 20 laptops sold on Amazon, also 5 again in the top 25 for Amazon UK.
Screenshot_2018-06-16 Amazon Best Sellers Best Laptop Computers.png

There's also the upcoming Fuchsia which could merge Android & Chrome OS, much like Apple's planning to do.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Wanna try that again :rolleyes: 5 chrome books in the top 20 laptops sold on Amazon, also 5 again in the top 25 for Amazon UK.
View attachment 102464
That's a bad failed attempt at refuting facts.
You selected a search only for Laptops … duh!
All that proves is there are a lot of dumb people that only look at price when making a purchase.

All that proves is there are a lot of dumb people that only look at price when making a purchase.
So Chromebooks aren't laptops? Also lots of Chromebooks are reasonably expensive.

What you didn't get, I assume you missed my point, is that smartphones & especially tablets haven't made Chromebooks irrelevant because they're not targeting the Chromebook audience. A Chromebook is a cheap web/media consumption device, a modern day netbook, & they'll remain relevant so long as they're cheap (for the low end models) & Google continues to develop Chrome OS, or Fuchsia in the future. Did I mention the battery life?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

Wonder how many of them got returned because they have no idea wtf they just bought.

What has happened to the pricing on Chrome Books? $500 for a Celeron processor, 4GB of memory and 32GB space. Doesn't sound like a great deal.
Right? In this case, you're not paying for the tech, you're paying for Samsung's name. Looks like they have achieved their goal of being another "Apple". Sad really.. And seriously, it's ChromeOS. Why use that crap in the first place?
..Bearded clueless millennial hipster tossers then
You left something out.. Fixed.
But But Chromebooks get better Batt-Life then most laptops
That's a load of nonsense. Battery life is on par with other, similar non-ChromeOS laptops..

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I have a cheap Chromebook that I only turn on once every 2-3 weeks to pay my bills online. It is a nice secure ecosystem. where as with Win 10, I take it everywhere, its exposed to other people, if its stolen I don't have to worry about anything, etc.

that is all Chromebook is good for imo. on win 10 laptop i use firefox only. so like i said, never have to worry about someone hacking me, stealing it physically, etc. chromebook is kept in a safe.

It is a nice secure ecosystem.
Except that ChromeOS isn't all that secure. Although, if that is all you're doing with it chances are your exposure is minimal. Still, rooted Android properly secured would be far better. And better still would be an inexpensive laptop with almost any variant of Linux. Security-wise, that would be best.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
..Bearded millennial hipster tossers then.

*Looks at self*

*checks computer*

Nope sorry dude. That things junk.

You left something out.. Fixed.

I think "clueless" is enough on it's own. What's with the beard obsession? And how do beards have anything to do with "people who never stop moving?"

Honestly this sounds like a thinly veiled politcal statement of some kind... :rolleyes:

Still, rooted Android properly secured would be far better. And better still would be an inexpensive laptop with almost any variant of Linux. Security-wise, that would be best.

Depends. You need to know how to keep that rooted android or Linux up to date or it does next to nothing, of course.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Except that ChromeOS isn't all that secure. Although, if that is all you're doing with it chances are your exposure is minimal. Still, rooted Android properly secured would be far better. And better still would be an inexpensive laptop with almost any variant of Linux. Security-wise, that would be best.

I have considered moving to a Ubuntu "book", but yeah i mean its never turned on or online, except once a month... as long as i keep chrome OS updated im sure ill be fine. i always rock beta channel, and always update before i login to pay my financials.

Depends. You need to know how to keep that rooted android or Linux up to date or it does next to nothing, of course.
Android, you're effectively safe for a few years if properly secured. With Linux, it's a better outlook, especially if you use a distro that has long-term-support.
I have considered moving to a Ubuntu "book", but yeah i mean its never turned on or online, except once a month...
I understood you. Linux Mint is my current fav and has been for several years, mostly because it's very solid and yet still flexible by design. It's Ubuntu based, but goes in a few very good and key directions. Easily surpasses ChromeOS in both security and versatility. What most don't know is that, like Android, ChromeOS is Linux kernel based. However, in an effort to commercialize Google has deliberately opened, or failed to close, vulnerabilities that make it unappealing for those who understand an appreciate the finer points which make Linux a great OS.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Android, you're effectively safe for a few years if properly secured

I mean, looking at the recent android vulnerabilities I'm not sure I'd go that far, but if your point was it's a more secure out of the box implementation than plain linux, that's a fair point.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Android, you're effectively safe for a few years if properly secured. With Linux, it's a better outlook, especially if you use a distro that has long-term-support.

I understood you. Linux Mint is my current fav and has been for several years, mostly because it's very solid and yet still flexible by design. It's Ubuntu based, but goes in a few very good and key directions. Easily surpasses ChromeOS in both security and versatility. What most don't know is that, like Android, ChromeOS is Linux kernel based. However, in an effort to commercialize Google has deliberately opened, or failed to close, vulnerabilities that make it unappealing for those who understand an appreciate the finer points which make Linux a great OS.

Let's say I move to Ubuntu as I have been planning to do, can I still use Chrome within Ubuntu? I am one of those lazy people who stores passwords on Chrome. :p

I mean, looking at the recent android vulnerabilities I'm not sure I'd go that far
I would. On two of my main Android based devices, I'm still running 4.4R5 and 4.4.4 respectively. Both have an IPTables based firewalls installed, adblocker, all Google apps removed except GooglePlay and it's services, Chrome replaced with other browsers.
Let's say I move to Ubuntu as I have been planning to do, can I still use Chrome within Ubuntu? I am one of those lazy people who stores passwords on Chrome. :p
I would recommend Iron. It's based on Chrome and has all the same functionality, including plugins, but is focused on privacy and security.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
What's with the beard obsession? And how do beards have anything to do with "people who never stop moving?"

Honestly this sounds like a thinly veiled politcal statement of some kind... :rolleyes:
Well this aint Sparta, time to stop looking like an extra from the Village People and cough up for a razor I say. :laugh:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I would. On two of my main Android based devices, I'm still running 4.4R5 and 4.4.4 respectively. Both have an IPTables based firewalls installed, adblocker, all Google apps removed except GooglePlay and it's services, Chrome replaced with other browsers.

I guess if you don't use bluetooth or care about wifi encryption, it's ok... Those are the two big ones I'm aware of.

Well this aint Sparta, time to stop looking like an extra from the Village People and cough up for a razor I say. :laugh:

Never!

In all seriousness, not having a multifoot long beard that looks decent is actually harder than just shaving every day. Not saying I qualify, but...