• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flooding in Sichuan China Results in Massive Mining Equipment Damage

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I mean, most of the pictures show ASICs, not GPUs, FWIW.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Lol are they seriously scrubbing the parts down over big buckets of muddy water?

That's the kinda of stuff you hear people joke about like "LOL Chinese crap." It's just this image that people have in their heads of China for no real reason... ...like they don't KNOW it to be true, it's just kind of there by default social indoctrination. You think to yourself "...but it's not REALLY like that, right?" It's not supposed to be real, man! Reality is amazing. I can't man.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

I think they only photographed one of the BTC mines. Alternative coin mines using GPU are probably adjacent to this

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
If they do indeed try to sell them off like that... wow, that's really shady. That flood couldn't have happened in a better place. Especially if they were stealing the electricity in the first place. :shadedshu:

That article does mention, as I suspected, "continuous rainstorms"... surely steps could have been taken to protect all that equipment from flooding damage...

This reeks of fail on so many levels.

I said earlier to be on the lookout for these to pop up on places like Fleabay and they will before long - In fact I can assure you they will.

If they have no problem with stealing electricity, they'd certainly have no problem taking money away from you too with a scam. Doesn't matter what some would think otherwise, what THEY think is what matters about doing the scams.

Be careful guys.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I see that (which also explains that BTC nosedive graph), but I keep hearing mention of GPUs...

Odd how the price of BTC seems to have risen in the face of this, though...

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I see that (which also explains that BTC nosedive graph), but I keep hearing mention of GPUs...

Odd how the price of BTC seems to have risen in the face of this, though...
Well, you can see what look like a few stacks of blower cards in the first few pictures. I suppose where you see a handful at the site of a huge mining op site, you assume there are many more. That and people probably just care more about the GPU miners. ASIC miners aren't cutting into stuff we want, after all.

I find that kind of interesting, how mining becomes morally wrong when you use GPU's. But ASIC... ...bah who cares about Bitcoin they aren't hurting us!

Like, I get the outrage - it is frustrating to try and get even mid-level right now, but it's not so simple as GPU miners ruined the market. A new demand came in and the market didn't react well. They just want what we all want. And suppliers just want to sell as much stock as they can at a profit that they can grow off of.

I can kind of understand why vendors might take advantage of the increased demand to charge more. Besides, without any more cards, they are not easier to get because the price is lower - they're even harder to find when more people can access them! The same number of cards sell either way. Difference with a lower price is just that a different, smaller market (enthusiast) gets more of them for less profit than the larger markets would deliver.

It doesn't make sense to do this as a business. The rest of the time they are operating, they are making no money on graphics cards. Operating a business costs money every single day. Every day you're not making that money, you're still eating costs. So they charge more to make up for not having constant volume moving. You can either go low-volume/high-margin or high-volume/low-margin. If the supply ain't there, the margin has to be higher relative to demand. Lowering the prices with demand so high might be better now, but a whole lot worse than it is now, later. Possibly for a very long time. If suppliers don't make their money, they can't, well... supply things. It's hard to picture, but I think they really are trying to supply as much of the market as possible, now and in the long run... ...by trying right now to get into a position to make and move more product in the end. Scaling takes starter money. The more they make now, the sooner more cards come.

I don't know if it's always right but I get that this is just how it works. And on the supply end, successfully executing production runs take a ton of time, planning, and money. Chip manufacturers have to be careful. It's a huge risk to assume that a boom will stick around while they try to anticipate how much to produce to catch supply back up. IF the people who put them into cards don't want to buy everything they have, they lose money. Same with the companies who make the cards. If they don't sell those chips Nvidia and AMD make their money, but they don't. In the long run they both lose. Can't sell their cards and can't buy more chips. It really is iffy to assume the market will be there by the time shipments actually roll out. Just getting the things to the market is not a straightforward process. And there's no going back... ...it's just this insanely convoluted balancing act. I don't envy any of those people's jobs, man.

Overshoot and you wind up with a ton of cards you now have to sell at a lower price just to get rid of. That can be a huge margin loss. EVGA can probably attest to this about now. They seem to have too many cards atm. Undershoot and you won't have the budget to scale up production and maximize profits, plus everyone thinks you're evil money grubbers for failing to supply the full demand and charging a huge premium, when really you're mostly just trying to stay in the game long-term and not lose money or opportunities. Maybe at times they have been, but I really doubt it's all a big evil conspiracy. Of course some will take advantage...

Point is... ...there are a lot of easy ways to really ruin things for a lot of people, both the market and the suppliers. It's not miner's faults for wanting their GPU's and doing whatever they can to get them, nor is it entirely the suppliers faults for misjudging the market and doing whatever they can to produce and move as much volume as is fiscally possible. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. The largest market sector gets primary attention. Enthusiasts are not the largest by any stretch. And honestly with the way things are now, I bet GPU mining could die tomorrow and it'd be a long time before anything changed.

Then of course there's the memory shortage, which is a whole nother deal.

Saw a few people talking about the mining GPU issues. Wanted to chime in. I'm no expert on this stuff, just kinda some base-level observations. This business isn't simple or easy.

I AM happy to see what seem to be some really shady miners get some poetic justice. But remember, cockroaches thrive in the worst environments.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm still on X58 chip because the prices.

People is angry about miners, but those prices are true consequences of a free market, something we like when prices drop only: not when people is fired or relocated or when macro corps have to be rescued to avoid national bankrupts.
I don't see the same level of rage against RAM prices. f.e. HP is asking for 1000USD for 32GB of DDR4 (yes ECC, but 2666, maybe a 3 years old tech?). Or 4250USD for 128GB.
If prices of RAM had keep its trend since 2009-2010 now we all could have 256GB or 512GB. So instead of RAM drive we have exotic optanes, high priced nvme, etc.

The point is, I would like more poeple redirect their rage/anger about prices against RAM manufacturers not chinise miners.

Muppet?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I think they only photographed one of the BTC mines. Alternative coin mines using GPU are probably adjacent to this

I don't think many serious mines are using GPUs in China (ASICs are more profitable and most are made there), but you could be right.