• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Ready with 19 Motherboard Models Based on Intel Z390 Chipset

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS is ready with a staggering 19 motherboard models based on Intel's upcoming Z390 Express chipset. This chipset, as you'd recall, is a re-branding of the Z370 Express with a stronger reference CPU VRM design, to cope with overclocking Intel's upcoming 8-core "Whiskey Lake" processors better. This time around, ASUS lineup is more exhaustive than its Z370-based lineup, with its top-tier ROG Maximus XI series including nearly all extensions including the Maximus XI Hero (and its WiFi sub-variant), Maximus XI Code, Maximus XI Apex, Maximus XI Formula, and Maximus XI Extreme (no Gene, though). The upper-mid tier ROG Strix series includes three ATX models: Strix-E, Strix-F, Strix-H, and the mini-ITX Strix-I, but again curiously, no micro-ATX Strix-G.

The company's mainline Prime series is relegated to just three models: Prime Z390-A, Prime Z390M-Plus, and Prime Z390-P. The cheap entry-level TUF Gaming lineup swelled to five modes: TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming, TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming WiFi, TUF Z390-Plus Gaming, TUF Z390-Plus Gaming WiFi, and TUF Z390-Pro Gaming. There's also the Z390 Dragon, designed for gaming i-cafes. Intel is reportedly launching its first 9th generation Core "Whiskey Lake" processors as early as 1st August, 2018.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
With TUF boards still sucking, and less variants overall for AM4 in the past. What's new, really? I think ASUS has gone downhill and everyone else followed after them to make the cheapest motherboards and sell them at stupid prices while having crappier VRM on each iteration.

If you look at datasheets what the voltage controllers are capable of and depending if the phases are doubled or not, you'd quickly find out your "8 phase" is really a 3+1 with twice the inductor count to make the motherboards look like they have proper VRMs. And they're getting away with this.

With the larger core count on the way, they have no excuse to skimp on the voltage control.

A little off-topic, but motherboards nowadays look kind of empty, if you look at pre-Z97 boards, they're just packed with components. I'm starting to think they're definitely using less components than before, with the removal of the northbridge (god that was not too long ago when you think about it), I'm feeling like there's something else missing.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Wow, and I’m still way back on Z97. :twitch: Oh well, eventually I will actually buy latest and greatest.

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Wow, and I’m still way back on Z97. :twitch: Oh well, eventually I will actually buy latest and greatest.
There's nothing wrong with Z97/Z170 they're the last great boards IMO and they're not even that old, you can still buy new Z170 boards at good prices. I stuck with a Z67 board and an overclocked i5-2400 until Ryzen hit. That's dedication to a platform that can still kick-ass. Sadly the Z-Chipset was PCI-E lane starved, so future expandability is limited, though you can add an adapter and enjoy all the things that are integrated into new iterations, basically it's not much of problem if not going with CFX or SLI. They're almost dead anyway.

With 8 cores being mainstream soon, maybe 2-3 years from now we might start thinking those four-core CPU's and their respective motherboards are a little bit obsolete.

While I'm glad the tech industry is finally moving on, to me there's an attachment to older hardware that still impresses me to this day.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
19 different models, what a joke.

If I ran one of these companies, I would streamline the design, have 3 models, low, mid, and high. Probably would cut costs and make it easier for consumer, plus allow said company to invest in better VRM cooling across the board, instead of some poor fool buying a model with bad VRM cooling just assuming its fine for his shiny new CPU. I suppose this is a niche hobby so most buyers are educated on this stuff, meh I dunno

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

If I ran one of these companies, I would streamline the design, have 3 models, low, mid, and high. Probably would cut costs and make it easier for consumer, plus allow said company to invest in better VRM cooling across the board, instead of some poor fool buying a model with bad VRM cooling just assuming its fine for his shiny new CPU. I suppose this is a niche hobby so most buyers are educated on this stuff, meh I dunno
Talk about a confusing - 19 different models for the same basic chipset/lineup?
It's like they can't make up their minds so instead they just said "Screw it" and included every idea tossed around in the boardroom that day.

My Z270 is doing well and no need to worry about upgrading anytime soon, should be good for a few years at least.

Bad thing is will Asus finally go the way of Abit, Soyo and DFI?
Mind you DFI did it intentially and Soyo was more or less forced to go the way they did, Abit was the only maker that truly went belly-up from it all when the time came. If Asus does go down, then who would fill the void?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Well, there are really only 3 big ones. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. Everyone else kinda seem to fill in the gaps in between these 3.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Aye. 19 different models it's retarded to say the least... Not to mention overly confusing since I have no ideea what are the main difference between models. That makes me ask,
What variant is the one that has all the major O.C. features and BIOS, but WITHOUT the stupid "hi-quality" sound card (have an X-Fi Titanium anyway) and also integrated Wi-Fi??
I use direct cable connection for lower latency over online games so no need for that bs.

Last edited:
Processor FX 8320 @4.2 | i7 2600 @3.8 | Xeon W3670 @ 3.6
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth R2.0 | Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe | Gigabyte X58-UD7
Cooling Zalman Performa 10+ | Zalman Performa 11+ | Zalman Performa 10+
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB @ 1866 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB @1866 | Samsung 24GB @ 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 390x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Extreme | Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme
Storage Intel SSD / SAS 15k Fujitsu | Intel SSD / Velociraptors / Hitachi 2TB | Intel SSD / Samsung 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 245T | HP ZR30w | IBM 20" 4x3
Case Chieftec | Corsair Graphite 600T | Thermaltake Xaser IV
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium HD | SB Titanium HD | SB X-fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake 875W | Corsair 850W | Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse Logitech | Logitech | Logitech
Keyboard Mitsumi Classic | Microsoft |Microsoft
Software W7 x64 | W7 x64 |W7 x64 / XP x32

these boards actually have 3-4 base designs with different options like additional controllers, heat sinks, leds, etc
whole purpose of this - catch as much $ from your pockets, oh sorry marketing name this scheme "customer satisfaction and experience" by providing goods for all marketing niches

Still no Deluxe version. FeelsBadMan.
Really wish ASUS could bring back the old legendary Deluxe boards.
After better inspecting model line i think ROG *Something* Hero WiFi exactly resemble old Deluxe line.

Last edited:
Waiting for 1 motherboard maker to break the 100-150$ circle of pain. Of pimped up budget design with horrible power and cooling capabilities. Who is going to be the one...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Talk about a confusing - 19 different models for the same basic chipset/lineup?
It's like they can't make up their minds so instead they just said "Screw it" and included every idea tossed around in the boardroom that day.

My Z270 is doing well and no need to worry about upgrading anytime soon, should be good for a few years at least.

Bad thing is will Asus finally go the way of Abit, Soyo and DFI?
Mind you DFI did it intentially and Soyo was more or less forced to go the way they did, Abit was the only maker that truly went belly-up from it all when the time came. If Asus does go down, then who would fill the void?
Your guess is as good as mine.

What void? There are enough board makers around, heck we may even see more of ECS and Biostar and they might even git gud someday. In the meantime we have Asrock and perhaps Gigabyte will also step up their game again. MSI has also shown to be capable - just not as consistent yet.

I won't shed a tear seeing Asus fall. They have exposed themselves as complete and utter garbage lately. Not just in product, but in general style of doing business. The overpriced branding was a dead giveaway really.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I think ASUS has gone downhill

Your only just realizing this now? They have been like that for the past 18yrs.

So its true then, none of these new CPU's will work on Z370 boards? :shadedshu:

And I agree 19 new boards? wtf! makes it so hard later on in the future to ever easily replace your mobo with the same one if it died and been ASUS it will.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
They eliminated Impact and Gene from the Maximus line many years ago already. The Strix line is confusing for me and a part of RGB led's they dont have anything special, for me only the Maximus series is to be seriously considered from asus.

I have to change my case to ATX because i think Micro ATX motherboards are about to stay entry-level, and not be full with interesting extra's. I have a micro/mini atx case only.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
What void? There are enough board makers around, heck we may even see more of ECS and Biostar and they might even git gud someday. In the meantime we have Asrock and perhaps Gigabyte will also step up their game again. MSI has also shown to be capable - just not as consistent yet.

I won't shed a tear seeing Asus fall. They have exposed themselves as complete and utter garbage lately. Not just in product, but in general style of doing business. The overpriced branding was a dead giveaway really.
The void left if Asus should eventually go the way the ones I mentioned.
It's more of a "Who would eventually take this share" of the market if it happens referring to the enthusiast part of it...... Well all of it that Asus currently has truth be told.

I'm with you on this for the most part - I also can see ASRock and Gigabyte doing it, MSI taking a smaller share and the rest being right where they are now. MSI's problem is they focus on being cheap, using the cheapest parts they can get which affects quality.
If they ever decide to finally ditch Nikos and still can innovate they could do much better and grab a fairly good portion of it at least.

Whatever happens if it does, someone will and we'll all have to adapt, make do or something if we want to continue doing what we do.

Always find it funny when I see ppl bashing a motherboard VRM, while it was designed to work with NON overclockable chips that will run at 20w most of the time.

Suddenly everyone wants beefy VRMs. If you check your old platforms VRM quality you gonna be scared. They are not even bad now and much less on Asus. Gigabyte yeah, made for low budget and too KABOOM.

All i'm asking from Z390 gen is to have 1 motherboard from each vendor that can properly, truly handle a 350W CPU power. Even if that board cost 300$+

Aye. 19 different models it's retarded to say the least... Not to mention overly confusing since I have no ideea what are the main difference between models. That makes me ask,
What variant is the one that has all the major O.C. features and BIOS, but WITHOUT the stupid "hi-quality" sound card (have an X-Fi Titanium anyway) and also integrated Wi-Fi??
I use direct cable connection for lower latency over online games so no need for that bs.

The Apex, although I think marketing forces these companies to put integrated sound and possibly wifi into the OC-oriented boards. At least you can physically remove the WiFi card and disable the audio in the BIOS (last two Apex boards didn't come with Wifi though).

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Always find it funny when I see ppl bashing a motherboard VRM, while it was designed to work with NON overclockable chips that will run at 20w most of the time.

Suddenly everyone wants beefy VRMs. If you check your old platforms VRM quality you gonna be scared. They are not even bad now and much less on Asus. Gigabyte yeah, made for low budget and too KABOOM.

What do you mean 'suddenly'... we've always wanted beefy VRMs to go with overclockable CPUs. Its just that a vast majority of kiddos doesn't even know what VRM means or how it works or even what the "+X" means in a spec sheet for VRM, so these companies try it every time. AND because VRM is a considerable part of the cost of a motherboard when done right, and can be very cheap when you really want to. Why do you think AsRock is doing good business? Because they are actually consistent across a large part of their board range in the VRM department. It inspires trust that the solution is adequate and it shows where the focus is. Asus prefers to 'design' a few dozen different plastic shrouds filled with RGB and butt ugly color schemes and you pay more for that while you get a crappy VRM to go with it. Even a 'budget minded' (LOL) midranger like the Strix Z370-A Prime offers much less than what AsRock gives you in every way at both lower and higher price points, and it is considered to be one of the more 'reliable' ones VRM wise... but still not quite the thing to get. But dont worry, Asus has you covered, just buy an extremely overpriced Apex (which, again, is eclipsed by an Asrock Taichi)!

Matter of fact, VRMs of the past were consistently better because they had to be, now the market is much more segmented into much finer detail and CPUs fit in a category, so you also get cost efficient boards to go with each category. Is that wrong? I don't think so. But its not too much to ask on a Z-board to have a decent VRM, especially when you realize these are chipset specifically built for overclocking. Thát is why people get their panties in a bunch.

Last edited:
System Name Batman's CaseLabs Mercury S8 Work Computer
Processor 8086K 5.3Ghz binned delidded by Siliconlottery.com 5.5Ghz 6c12t 5.6Ghz 6c6t on ambient air
Motherboard EVGA Z390 DARK
Cooling Noctua C14S for all overclocking so far Noctua Industrial PWM fan 2000rpm rated (700rpm inaudible)
Memory Gskill Trident Z Royal Silver F4-4600C18D-16GTRS running at 4500Mhz 17-17-17-37 (new mem OC) : )
Video Card(s) AMD WX 4100 Workstation Card (AMD W5400 7nm workstation card coming soon)
Storage Intel Optane 900P 280GB PCIe card as Primary OS drive / (4) Samsung 860Pro 256GB SATA internal
Display(s) Planar 27in 2560x1440 Glossy LG panel with glass bonded to panel for increased clarity
Case CaseLabs Mercury S8 open bench chassis two-tone black front cover with gunmetal frame
Audio Device(s) Creative $25 2.1 speakers lol
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 700watt fanless
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 graphite / Glorious Model D matte black / Razer Invicta mousing mat gunmetal
Keyboard HHKB Hybrid Type-S black printed keycaps
Software Work Apps text and statistical
Benchmark Scores Single Thread scores at 5.6Ghz: Cinebench R15 ST - 249 CPU-Z ST - 676 PassMark CPU ST - 3389
Only wish for a simple Maximus 11 Extreme board to improve my clocks on an 8086K.

Is that asking too much? :)

Attachments

• 5.6Ghz boot NO Hyperthreading.jpg
    5.6Ghz boot NO Hyperthreading.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 413
  • Cinebench Single Thread 5.5Ghz stable 8086K.png
    Cinebench Single Thread 5.5Ghz stable 8086K.png
    862.1 KB · Views: 398
What do you mean 'suddenly'... we've always wanted beefy VRMs to go with overclockable CPUs. Its just that a vast majority of kiddos doesn't even know what VRM means or how it works or even what the "+X" means in a spec sheet for VRM, so these companies try it every time. AND because VRM is a considerable part of the cost of a motherboard when done right, and can be very cheap when you really want to. Why do you think AsRock is doing good business? Because they are actually consistent across a large part of their board range in the VRM department. It inspires trust that the solution is adequate and it shows where the focus is. Asus prefers to 'design' a few dozen different plastic shrouds filled with RGB and butt ugly color schemes and you pay more for that while you get a crappy VRM to go with it. Even a 'budget minded' (LOL) midranger like the Strix Z370-A Prime offers much less than what AsRock gives you in every way at both lower and higher price points, and it is considered to be one of the more 'reliable' ones VRM wise... but still not quite the thing to get. But dont worry, Asus has you covered, just buy an extremely overpriced Apex (which, again, is eclipsed by an Asrock Taichi)!

Matter of fact, VRMs of the past were consistently better because they had to be, now the market is much more segmented into much finer detail and CPUs fit in a category, so you also get cost efficient boards to go with each category. Is that wrong? I don't think so. But its not too much to ask on a Z-board to have a decent VRM, especially when you realize these are chipset specifically built for overclocking. Thát is why people get their panties in a bunch.

Overreacting. I bet you can overclock a 8700k to the same clocks and similar volts on a z370 prime and on an apex or taichi or gaming m5. You wont fry anything. Now everyone want VRMs for nitrogen world records overclock attempts. Ridiculous.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Overreacting. I bet you can overclock a 8700k to the same clocks and similar volts on a z370 prime and on an apex or taichi or gaming m5. You wont fry anything. Now everyone want VRMs for nitrogen world records overclock attempts. Ridiculous.

Pretty sure we want good VRMs for the better efficiency and lifespan they tend to have, but ok.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Pretty sure we want good VRMs for the better efficiency and lifespan they then to have, but ok.
Exactly! Many of us have only bought motherboards with great VRM heatsinks for the increased lifetime under load. I guess some will never understand that.