• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking Outside the DRM: Denuvo Sues Founder of Piracy Group "REVOLT"

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Look at it from Microsoft's perspective: they saw Freelancer's potential and were in a position not only to take it from him and reap the rewards of it, but also own it so they could follow up on it. Perhaps even execute Roberts full vision of it in a sequel...that never came. Yes, Microsoft finished Freelancer where it might not have been otherwise which I am grateful for but I am not pleased the Microsoft abandoned the concept entirely and Digital Anvil turned to dust after the launch of Freelancer. The nine year drought is the reason why Chris Roberts was able to raise so much money at Kickstarter. That could have been Microsoft's success story but no, enter Xbox (which had to have been in early prototyping when Freelancer launched) and Microsoft's absolute lack of interest in PC gaming. Xbox was the best thing (for Microsoft investors) and worse thing (for PC gamers) Microsoft ever did.

I'm a skeptical optimist in regards to Star Citizen. That drought left behind by Freelancer is still very much unfilled. Star Citizen promises to fill it. Microsoft didn't and doesn't.

They're probably thinking like me: It's pointless to continue without him.

He's a genius... but can't seemingly manage projects well. I think Microsoft wanted it to work out, but they were SOL with or without him. And now, Roberts even on his own isn't doing better. Publishers were never his issue. Same goes for Tim Schaefer.. another of my favorites.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Creative directors are rarely good project managers. They require separate skillsets. Without creative directors and project managers that aren't completely risk averse, you end up with the shovelware (asset swap open world games) we mostly see from AAA publishers today.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Creative directors are rarely good project managers. They require separate skillsets. Without creative directors and project managers that aren't completely risk averse, you end up with the shovelware (asset swap open world games) we mostly see from AAA publishers today.

Sad truth. :\

I don't want to be too much of a hater though. Like I said, I hope SC comes to fruition.. I'm just not going to be hyped.

As for Microsoft, I think the setbacks and bad rep made them a humbler company in recent years. And while I don't like what consoles have done to gaming, I think it's made them a good publisher compared to most. They have more at stake.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This is the first round of game developers buyouts that they have done in a while. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out (years).

I see you looked them up! I guess you at least recognized some of their games? :D

I try to learn from my ignorance :).

And as of M$, I think they learn from their mistakes; I mean, they tried things and failed (fable mmorpg pay to win, age of empire mobile, etc...) but I think they start to make good things again. The fact that consoles nowadays depend on exclusive (sort of, but mostly, I don't want to start on that... read my point :p), the fact that their console depends on exclusivity to earn a player base push them to take the time to create and make good games. I'm hyped for the next Halo; I'm hyped for the next AoE. But in reality, they really made some bad mistakes in the past and released EA-like games. I'm glad they removed (and are removing) loot box from forza. I think they are on a right path. But, I'll still call them M$ as long as they prove themselves.

Still, Microsoft are improving Windows 10, Xbox One and Microsoft Game studio so, I'm curious about what they'll release with "Ninja Theory Studios". I don't have much hope, but the hope is still there (I STILL HAVE HOPE FOR HALF-LIFE 3 TOO).

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm hoping they just leave Ninja Theory alone.. they already make great games. All they need is more cash... and more length to their games.

I say to every game maker out there what I said when Securom started to mess-around excessively with things many years ago:

0. Any protection made for a non server-based game will eventually fail. It is inevitable.
1. Instead of investing in DRM, invest in the actual game/product. - There are plenty of examples of games with absolutely no protection that topped the sales in the year of their release and kept selling well for many more years.
2. Protection does not bring you exceptional high sales. Making a good product does.