• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Paper-launch 9th Gen Core on August 14, Availability in Q4-2018

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel's client desktop processor lineup is under tremendous pressure owing to competition from AMD, with the company having to roll out entire processor generations over mere 2-3 quarters. You'll recount that Intel was merrily trotting around with its barely-innovative 7th Gen "Kaby Lake" family in early 2017, when AMD stunned the industry with an outperforming product lineup. The 7th generation barely lasted its planned product cycle, before Intel rushed in a pathetic sub-$500 Core X lineup, and the 8th generation "Coffee Lake" with 50-100% core-count increases. Even that is proving insufficient in the wake of 2nd generation AMD Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge," and Intel is cutting short its product cycle with the 9th generation Core "Whiskey Lake" (or "Coffee Lake" Refresh) series, that further increase core-counts.

"Whiskey Lake" was originally planned for Q1-2019 alongside the 14 nm original Z390 chipset. Intel wasn't expecting AMD to rebound with Ryzen 2000 series (particularly the tangible IPC increases and improved multi-core boosting). And so, it decided to rush through with a new product generation yet again. The Z370 is being re-branded to Z390 (with an improved CPU VRM reference design), and what was originally meant to come out in Q1-2019, could come out by Q4-2018, at the very earliest by October. Intel reportedly planned availability sooner, but realized that distributors have heaps of unsold 8th generation Core inventory, and motherboard vendors aren't fully ready for the chip. Since getting a 9th gen Core chip doesn't warrant a new motherboard, customers would be inclined to pick up 9th generation chip with their existing boards, or any new 300-series board. This would kill the prospects of selling 8th generation Core CPUs.

Intel still wants to make the presence of its 9th generation Core processors felt. And so, at the risk of cannibalizing its 8th generation Core sales, Intel is going ahead with a paper-launch of 9th generation Core on 14th August. You'll have to wait until October not just for availability, but also reviews of these chips. The company is just looking to restore competitiveness at the upper end of its lineup for now, and so its launch will be limited to three SKUs: Core i9-9900K, Core i7-9700K, and Core i5-9600K (detailed in the table below). Of these, the i9-9900K and the i7-9700K are the first 8-core processors by Intel on the mainstream-desktop platform; while the i5-9600K is a 6-core chip that's largely unchanged from the current-generation Core i5 chips. This shows that Intel won't improve its lineup over generation unless absolutely warranted by the competitive environment.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
As a PC building enthusiast who has always aligned with Intel/Nvidia... AMD Ryzen is the best thing to happen to the industry in 10 years.
Yes, progress at last. Intel is making more money than ever, AMD is comfortably afloat, prices hopefully start to compete too... right now AMD wins the value race.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
edit: Oops. Wrong thread.

On that note though, it's not like the past 10 years were particularly bad for computing. Or am I missing something? Sure, they needed competition, but it's not like my computing and gaming life was worse during that time.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
A paper launch means Intel is really shitting bricks, after years of being the the drivers seat its something Intel is not handling well.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
edit: Oops. Wrong thread.

On that note though, it's not like the past 10 years were particularly bad for computing. Or am I missing something? Sure, they needed competition, but it's not like my computing and gaming life was worse during that time.
Your experiences are in theory, worse than what they could have been if there were proper competition.
Competition drives price down and performance up, as you see is happening here.

If there were more competition in the market in the pass years, 4k and VR Gaming should have been a common place.
Instead what we got was people saying 4k and more than dual / quad core are never needed, because they were priced so high and impractical for most people.
Just look at 2 years ago when a good 8-core CPU cost $1100, that being the 6900K.
Today with Ryzen you can find one on sale for $200, and offer similar performance.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Your experiences are in theory, worse than what they could have been if there were proper competition.
Competition drives price down and performance up, as you see is happening here.

If there were more competition in the market in the pass years, 4k and VR Gaming should have been a common place.
Instead what we got was people saying 4k and more than dual / quad core are never needed, because they were priced so high and impractical for most people.

I think VR is a waste of my time. I'm not or ever will be the right market for it. As for 4K, that wasn't going anywhere until all mass media jumped on it as their new standard (i.e. Televisions). I'm not sure what Intel has to do with pushing gaming GPU performance anyhow.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I think VR is a waste of my time. I'm not or ever will be the right market for it. As for 4K, that wasn't going anywhere until all mass media jumped on it as their new standard (i.e. Televisions). I'm not sure what Intel has to do with pushing gaming GPU performance anyhow.
If you miss the memo, Intel will be jumping on making GPUs as well in the future.
Oh and 4k TVs and display are quite easy to find today.

In the case of CPUs, faster cpus do allow better AI and more NPCs etc interacting on screen, so it still helps the gaming experience.
Also I forgot to mention that Larrabee was also a fail attempt to make a GPU and some of that tech ended up as Xeon Phi.
Even Larrabee wasn't their first deciated graphics card either, I forgot the name of the much older one that they actually released.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
If you miss the memo, Intel will be jumping on making GPUs as well in the future.
Oh and 4k TVs and display are quite easy to find today.

I'm not talking about the future. I don't understand how you're blaming them for the past 10 years of displays and gpus. Feel free to resent them, but they don't need to be the whipping boy for everything.

Yes, progress at last. Intel is making more money than ever, AMD is comfortably afloat, prices hopefully start to compete too... right now AMD wins the value race.

Sorry, but if we talk about value race we talk about i5 8400. One of the best performance vs price CPUs in history. You can find it as low as 140 in some places. This thing is a beast.

Worth mentioning G5400 for 60 bucks.

Amd has good chips too, but people tend to forget the Intel lower end/mid end offer and only focus on the super expensive i7 x700k and its awful paste on the die.

Dakmio

No, 14th August isn't the launch date.
According to HKEPC, the Intel document said that a more precise release date will be provided on 14th August.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
So basically Intel is selling product, which cannot be bought, yet? Quite funny, but sad at the same time.

A paper launch means Intel is really shitting bricks, after years of being the the drivers seat its something Intel is not handling well.

Indeed. Paper launch feels like "oh my god, we need to show ppl that we're still relevant otherwise they'll forget about us entirely". That's what happens when you sleep on laurels of your past glory and become entirely detached from reality.

Is so funny how ppl on tpu bash Intel so much and make it seem like Intel is failing big time right now. Then I go to amazon and the best seller is a 8700k and they still have the cpu with better performance on most applications, better ram compability, less bios problems etc etc

Is laughable really xD

I'm not talking about the future. I don't understand how you're blaming them for the past 10 years of displays and gpus. Feel free to resent them, but they don't need to be the whipping boy for everything.
You could argue that Intel pushed the good enough computing paradigm for desktops too much & far too long. I've seen users on other forums defend them for selling mainstream quad cores for 10 years! Now the same users are buying their hexa and possibly upcoming octa cores, just because it's Intel. The price gouging and absolutely ripping the consumers off by updating motherboards every year is just despicable. Sure they are in the business of making money, but when you're saying the following shouldn't you blame someone like Intel as well?
I can see this being a hit in China.

One thing I don't see mentioned much.. and it's not to be offensive.. but the Chinese are kind of wasteful. Many don't seem to have the same love/attention to detail/care for their property or tools, in many cases. I have to wonder if they even have a strong PC building culture there.

It goes for their buildings, or their bikes, or their cars. And I can see them being just as disposable with their computers. If a bike breaks, you might just find it left to rot and they buy a new one.
Not trying to be snide but IMO Intel absolutely deserve all the hate they've garnered over the years.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
As a PC building enthusiast who has always aligned with Intel/Nvidia... AMD Ryzen is the best thing to happen to the industry in 10 years.
Exactly. Now we just need the same thing to happen with graphics cards.

Processor AMD 1700X
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Indeed. Paper launch feels like "oh my god, we need to show ppl that we're still relevant otherwise they'll forget about us entirely". That's what happens when you sleep on laurels of your past glory and become entirely detached from reality.
Why are there so many foolish posts like this? Read my first post. Balanced, fair, thoughtful, complimentary of Intel and AMD because each has their pro-s and con-s. Jumping to dreamlike Intel CEO statements like: "oh my god, we need to show ppl that we're still relevant otherwise they'll forget about us entirely" is just kid stuff. Intel had revenue of 16.96 billion last quarter alone which exceeded analyst expectations. AMD had revenue of 1.76 billion. There is no crippling drama over at Intel, they are still crushing the competition. It will take AMD a long time and a long period of Intel stagnation to even catch up to even half of Intel's revenue.

Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB (16x2) Crucial DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200, 1TB Corsair MP510, 4TB WDC Red, 3TB WDC Black, 6TB Ironwolf, 250GB 850 evo
Display(s) LG 4k 27"
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906
Power Supply 660W Seasonic Platinum Prime
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Why are there so many foolish posts like this? Read my first post. Balanced, fair, thoughtful, complimentary of Intel and AMD because each has their pro-s and con-s. Jumping to dreamlike Intel CEO statements like: "oh my god, we need to show ppl that we're still relevant otherwise they'll forget about us entirely" is just kid stuff. Intel had revenue of 16.96 billion last quarter alone which exceeded analyst expectations. AMD had revenue of 1.76 billion. There is no crippling drama over at Intel, they are still crushing the competition. It will take AMD a long time and a long period of Intel stagnation to even catch up to even half of Intel's revenue.

I don't think you understand Intel's line of thought very much (at least the way their executives act). Intel from past experience was exactly like this. They don't want AMD to gain ANY market share. Intel is a company that PAID the OEM's to sell only their product to the point that the OEM's made more money from Intel's Payments than selling the chips. This is the kind of company Intel childish actions Intel has taken and their current actions are not much better. The unfortunate matter is that the post about them acting like that is probably not that far off. Remember last year Intel released the 8x00 series chips before they had enough to actually sell. Why did they do this? Because they were afraid the Ryzen 2x00 series would cannibalize their sales and here we are again Intel's 9x00 series this time paperlaunched in August 2018, 10 months after the semi paper-launch coffeelake launch in Oct, 2018. Are we again going to see Intel launch without proper stock of chips or are they going to actually have the chips needed to a decent amount of the demand this time around.

I wouldn't consider these thoughts completely foolish. But at least for me there is some historical precedent for my skepticism of their actions.

Processor AMD 1700X
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't think you understand Intel's line of thought very much (at least the way their executives act). Intel from past experience was exactly like this. They don't want AMD to gain ANY market share. Intel is a company that PAID the OEM's to sell only their product to the point that the OEM's made more money from Intel's Payments than selling the chips. This is the kind of company Intel childish actions Intel has taken and their current actions are not much better. The unfortunate matter is that the post about them acting like that is probably not that far off. Remember last year Intel released the 8x00 series chips before they had enough to actually sell. Why did they do this? Because they were afraid the Ryzen 2x00 series would cannibalize their sales and here we are again Intel's 9x00 series this time paperlaunched in August 2018, 10 months after the semi paper-launch coffeelake launch in Oct, 2018. Are we again going to see Intel launch without proper stock of chips or are they going to actually have the chips needed to a decent amount of the demand this time around.

I wouldn't consider these thoughts completely foolish. But at least for me there is some historical precedent for my skepticism of their actions.
I also don't see this Intel panicking narrative as even remotely researched. Intel released Skylake (6th-gen Core) in Fall 2015. Kaby Lake (7th gen) released in Fall 2016. Why is it even breaking news or thought of as a panic that 9th-gen may come out in Fall 2018? Seems right on track. You can bend the spoon if it makes you think Intel is in some panic but 16.96 billion vs 1.7 billion says otherwise. If you compare net income it is worse - 5 billion to 114 million. Intel was up from Q2 2017 net income of 2.7 to that 5.0 in Q2-18. AMD's resurgence has almost doubled Intel's net income. It would be a lot easier and more mature if people just just agree Intel went into a holding pattern while AMD fell apart. AMD showed a heartbeat and put out a great value product. Intel countered by moving ahead. Hopefully AMD's resurgence maintains and is good for progress.

https://www.intc.com/investor-relat...eports-Second-Quarter-2018-Financial-Results/
http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...reports-second-quarter-2018-financial-results

hzlph

Is so funny how ppl on tpu bash Intel so much and make it seem like Intel is failing big time right now. Then I go to amazon and the best seller is a 8700k and they still have the cpu with better performance on most applications, better ram compability, less bios problems etc etc

Is laughable really xD

We dont bash intel for their lose in the market, because we're all well aware Intel has the upper hand in IPC and better brand recognition, Intel Core has been on for longer than even before the FX series begun, but the argument against intel is how much they were confortable since Sandy Bridge, not innovating enough in the PC space, until AMD Showed off with Ryzen. And it was just a matter of sense, Kaby Lake barely saw minor improvements over Skylake, which itself was more or less Broadwell. When we bash Intel, we like to bring up the fact that Ryzen made Intel's monopoly fall so hard, that their 8th and upcoming 9th gen are just clear attempts to stay relevant on a Market where Ryzen has a better value for multithreated worloads, while lagging just a few points in single threated workloads. And remember, Zen is a brand new architecture, while Intel Core has been around since 2006, and yet Zen is able to compete toe to toe against Intel Core. It is laughable that you ignore the fact that Ryzen has brought back competition to the market, because without it, our 8700K would probably still be 4C/8T.

Last edited:

Ever heard of things like sarcasm, irony and so forth? Well, that's that. And even if Intel made 17 billion, there is no denying they are in full panic mode since the moment AMD launched Zen based processors. They don't want that 17 billion cut to be smaller. Which is why they are freaking out. Because AMD has better products this time around. Maybe not in absolutely all segments, but as a whole, Zen stuff is really nice.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)

Is laughable really xD

Actually it's more likely that a lot of regular consumers are still unaware of AMD's existence and will buy whatever the drone in the big-box store will push them to - likely the item with the most margin/kick-backs for the store.

y whatever the drone in the big-box store will push them to - lik

Or perhaps simply the best product? Yes because all I see are AMD fanboys talking about how better option Ryzen is, but in the end you forget that most people won´t bother with overclocking the chip to get better performance, they won´t bother spending 20 hours fine tuning memory timings, because not everyone buys B-Die Dimms. People also don´t want some software incompabilities, lack of thunderbolt (music production) and many other disadvantages. Intel has disadvantages too, wich I won´t mention because you guys do it everyday here, every time. But it is annoying that you threat Ryzen like a God tier product and that no one should buy an Intel CPU. When Ryzen itself is not user friendly AT ALL.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
What's sad is how people think that bashing the competition somehow makes their choice better - it doesnt. Acknowledging the competion's good points actually makes your choice's virtues seem more of an accomplishment. What's the point of claiming to be better than an absolute piece of crap? That's like saying "our shit doesn't smell quite as bad as their shit, ours is the best smelling shit on the planet". Not a good brag. It's still all shit. Much more effective to say, "As great as our competition is, we believe our choice is a little better, or cheaper, (or more expensive, but the expense is somewhat justified by the better performance). It's been proven many times, that bashing your competition in advertising is one of the worst mistakes an company can make, effectively making the entire market look less appealing to potential customers. Bashing a company in a forum is no better, it makes the PC building community look like a bunch of petty assholes, instead of the forward-thinking pioneers we all aspire to be. Think about what you post, don't just give the knee-jerk reaction that seems to bolster your view while actually undermining it.