• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Owners of Seasonic Focus Gold PSU's... coil whine?

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
@robot zombie : Sorry for the frustration. My current thought is to try another brand. Also to step up to a Platinum or Titanium PSU for better quality and you could then drop down to the original 550W size.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
I would expect coil whine to be covered by a review done by johnnyguru. If not, that's a pretty poor oversight on their part, as that is a major concern for a lot of people looking to buy a power supply. It's also possible maybe you really are that unlucky, or maybe quality has gone downhill at Seasonic at some point after that review, or maybe Seasonic sent them a cherry picked unit for review. Lots of possibilities here and no way to know for certain... not much point in doing anything else other than saying "well, fuck" and trying to find a good power supply once again.
Yeap... ...not much else I can do.

@robot zombie : Sorry for the frustration. My current thought is to try another brand. Also to step up to a Platinum or Titanium PSU for better quality and you could then drop down to the original 550W size.
It is what it is man, I accept this as my burden in life. Ultimately all will be as it should be. I look back on my general luck with PC's over the years and yeah... ...my luck seems to be catching up with me in a big way. I'd rather know I am unlucky than be lucky and not know it.

But yeah, that was my thinking as well. I'm also kind of relenting over the thought of another EVGA Supernova G3. Only one that didn't let me down on this.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
@robot zombie : Price is good, Newegg sale with rebate: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438133-S3A7A&ignorebbr=1

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0850-X1
Warranty Upgrade to 12 Years

(11)
Write a Review See 2 Questions | 12 Answers
In stock. Limit 3 per customer. Ships from United States.
Sold and Shipped by Newegg

• 100% Japanese Capacitors ensure long-term reliability; Unbeatable EVGA 10 Year Warranty and unparalleled EVGA Customer Support
  • 80 PLUS Gold certified, with 90% (115VAC) / 92% (220VAC~240VAC) efficiency or higher under typical loads
  • Fully Modular to reduce clutter and improve airflow
  • Whisper Silent with 135mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan
  • Heavy-duty protections, including OVP (Over Voltage Protection), UVP (Under Voltage Protection), OCP (Over Current Protection), OPP (Over Power Protection), SCP (Short Circuit Protection), and OTP (Over Temperature Protection)

• $89.99
  • Sale Ends in 3 Days (Thu)Save: $60.00 (40%)
  • $69.99 after $20.00 rebate card
  • $3.99 Shipping (restrictions apply)

Also, FSP makes good PSU's, have had good luck with them. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ription=fsp&ignorear=0&N=100007657&isNodeId=1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Please contact Seasonic to inform them of this.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
Please contact Seasonic to inform them of this.
Absolutely. A good idea. Kinda wish I had kept it to send out to them, now that I think about it. But atm I no longer have the funds to have stuff like that sitting around :/

I'm sure they'll be interested to know, either way. Maybe they can offer some explanation, at least. I know they're a good company. If they have anything interesting to say, I'll pass it on.

I do wanna be 100% sure, though. I feel like I've done all I can on my end, but I want to get a properly working PSU in this machine first. Say I go with another brand and this problem is still not resolved, you know? At this point, I'm not settling on any hard conclusions. I've had only one PSU hooked up to this machine that didn't have this problem. I think I've confirmed major issues with the other PSU's, but it's hard to look past multiple units having the same problem with the same machine, even if I CAN replicate it on other machines. I want to be able to say to them that I have a quiet, working unit in the machine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm not sure what's more silly - to believe that the PSU's are to blame, or something else. My brain is mush at this point.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Absolutely. A good idea. Kinda wish I had kept it to send out to them, now that I think about it. But atm I no longer have the funds to have stuff like that sitting around :/

I'm sure they'll be interested to know, either way. Maybe they can offer some explanation, at least. I know they're a good company. If they have anything interesting to say, I'll pass it on.

I do wanna be 100% sure, though. I feel like I've done all I can on my end, but I want to get a properly working PSU in this machine first. Say I go with another brand and this problem is still not resolved, you know? At this point, I'm not settling on any hard conclusions. I've had only one PSU hooked up to this machine that didn't have this problem. I think I've confirmed major issues with the other PSU's, but it's hard to look past multiple units having the same problem with the same machine, even if I CAN replicate it on other machines. I want to be able to say to them that I have a quiet, working unit in the machine.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm not sure what's more silly - to believe that the PSU's are to blame, or something else. My brain is mush at this point.
They are a pretty good company but you could of helped them if there is something wonky in the lineup. Feedback good or bad helpd a company grow.

My psu from 4 years ago is perfect but doesn't mean that othrrs haven't had problems.

Ive heard their customer support is pretty high even. I believe @AsRock has a testimony for them.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
They are a pretty good company but you could of helped them if there is something wonky in the lineup. Feedback good or bad helpd a company grow.

My psu from 4 years ago is perfect but doesn't mean that othrrs haven't had problems.

Ive heard their customer support is pretty high even. I believe @AsRock has a testimony for them.
Oh I believe it. The Focus Gold lineup, I will never ever buy again... ...but nor will I recommend against it just because I had a bad experience. I'm also not against trying future offerings from them. I like putting my money into companies who care about their products and prioritize service/support. Seasonic fits the bill there, even if I got a couple of bum units.

I usually like to let companies know when I encounter weird issues. Recently, I actually went back and forth with Focusrite over an issue with my Scarlett 2i2, as well as competitors products. And when I managed to solve the problem, I let them know. Unfortunately I had fallen prey to a design weakness with their product. I got on the bad side of a compromise and suggested what I thought was a better one. My situation was an outlier, but likely something others had dealt with, judging from all of the reviewers who seemed to have the same problem, but unfortunately failed to resolve it. I mentioned that, too. In my case it was an aging outlet, likely with either poor ground isolation or simply skewed potential. But they could have made it so that it wasn't vulnerable to that particular interference by taking it off of USB bus power. Very similar products I've owned/used didn't suffer for it because it had dedicated power instead of running off of the USB bus, while I had the same issue with other similar bus-powered devices. I told them that I would've like to see an optional SMPS just to be able to easily mitigate the issue for users who expect not to have to troubleshoot a long-known potential issue with sensitive audio stuff out of the box. In audio there are other compelling reasons for getting off of USB power, which I also mentioned as being important to me and likely others.

They seemed to appreciate it. In fact they seemed to agree that it was a good idea. Hopefully they keep stuff like that in mind in the future.

Like I said, I would've liked to have been able to send the unit out to them. Just too little too late.

I like doing things like that. I like seeing products get better. If companies think something is working for their buyers when it actually isn't, they don't change it. They can't account for everything. I think it's important for us as consumers to recognize that. I'm not a big fan of just bitching and moaning at the sky, hehe. It just doesn't change anything. I will share my little story with them, at least. That might.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well... ...most important first. I've got my Corsair RM650x up and running. Happy to report that it is dead quiet. My face lit up when I pressed the power button and nothing but silence followed. That's something the Seasonics couldn't do for me. It's official - those Seasonic PSU's were definitely faulty. I mean, the moment I power on any machine, on any circuit, they scream. While this one doesn't. So that's kinda that.

The noises I heard before, both coming from the speakers and from various components in the machine are gone. What's left coming through the speakers is so faint that I can live with it. It's not at all like before, where it was just obnoxious screeching and cracking and popping coming from damned near everything. I'm still kind of taken aback by that. But no... this noise is characteristically different.

I suspect the remaining noise I'm hearing is actually from my EVGA GTX 1050. It sounds like what people often call "GPU coil whine." Which listening to samples can literally sound like anything :p I think what people are calling coil whine is actually something else (or maybe its better to say it is a catch-all for many different things.) What I mean is that is sounds specifically like what is often heard coming from GPU's. Just like it is for me, it often causes audio interference as well, which as bill pointed out earlier, shouldn't be with simple coil whine. But it nearly always is with reports of GPU "coil whine." And it certainly is now. I can hear the characteristic GPU whine coming ONLY from the GPU. If I switch it into another machine I get the same result. I have an RX 580 on the way. I strongly believe that'll be the end of it. It's possible that this GPU has been whining the whole time, and I just couldn't discern it from other sources of noise that are only now eliminated.

Here's what I'm left with. I have dealt with not one source of noise, but many. Over time swapping things out, the source probably changed from one to the other. I'm now of the belief that nearly any part can show this vulnerability under the right circumstances. Somehow I managed to create several different scenarios leading to it. And unfortunately, I didn't do anything "wrong" here. There's nothing in all of this that says "Just don't don't do that and you'll be fine." It's not like I could've had any way of knowing. I am not new to this stuff at all. I built my first machine over a decade ago. And I have never encountered anything like this. Only ever heard faint whisperings... ...thought it was something that just doesn't happen all that often and when it does you swap out and move on.

I suspect that it is a set of widespread quality, or perhaps design problems that I think need to be addressed but likely won't be possible to. There must be a way to mitigate this on a component level, but I don't think it would be an easy thing to reproduce enough to snuff out from a design standpoint. You'd have to test everything with everything.

And yet, I've gone through several PSU's that are certifiably noisy, a mobo, a GPU... All of them isolated as sources of noise all on their own in many, many different configurations, even in different environments and on different main circuits. There's something to be said about that. It's hard for me to believe it still! But I'm not the only one to have this issue. In fact someone else has a thread on it right now!

It's one of those things that can happen to anyone, with no way to pinpoint it or know when it's gonna happen. I went through so many parts, circuits, setups, everything... ...and at different points, doing different things either made the noise change/go away, or come back. The only way I see that happening is if several components are involved. I really do believe that I could've moved out, built a whole new machine and still had the same problem! It likely runs that deep! This is no conspiracy. Just a matter of luck of the draw. Though I really think that if these are the odds, something is seriously wrong.

I think it's more widespread than people realize, and it doesn't seem to be something that anybody fully understands. No support teams I contacted had any idea or helpful advice (and to their credit many of them were awesome - they really tried and no doubt help tons of people!) In my travels I encountered many conversations just like the one in this thread. Same problems, to the letter. And many have gone to the same exhaustive measures as me. Often leading to no satisfactory explanation or solution. And when there has been a fix, it's been different every time. None of the conventional advice has worked in my case, or any that I have seen. This, to me, can only suggest that there is something going on with all of these cases that nobody has really gotten to the heart of. We have explanations that are somewhat true sometimes, but that's it. No definitive information exists on this shit! I've looked for a loooonnngg time!

Two things seems to be happening. Number one is a communications breakdown. People are mis-describing the problem as something it is not, and people on the other end are assuming something different. Overgeneralizing it. It may not be possible to even have a real conversation about it. Too many unknowns and things that can't reasonably be tested by enough people. The other part of the equation is that whatever is causing these problems must be component level and hard for users to test/verify, let alone report in an accurate or meaningful way. It's something manufacturers would have to figure out.

All I've got. Nerve wracking to know that things like this can happen, and that a problem like this could be around the corner at any time. I expect more for my money, and yet this is something nobody can expect to be guaranteed. Hmmm... it's a lot to take in. But I really doubt I'm just unlucky. It's not that uncommon with PC's. In months of looking into this crap, I've learned that there are so many people like me it isn't even funny. To me, that is unacceptable. But otoh, what can anyone do? Where do you even fuckin start when this is what you've got? Call me dramatic or whatever. That sucks :/

I'm going to let Seasonic know about my tribulations. That is at least one thing I'm sure of now. But I don't know if that's really enough. Even if Seasonic gets on top of it, people will continue having these problems and nobody will know why. And the worst part is there is no known, proven fix. The best advice anyone can give is to try a bunch of shit and hope something works. That's a bunch of crap. These things shouldn't happen to anyone. These are things that should just work. "Build a new machine." when there should be nothing wrong with the current one is not a reasonable fix. I'm not satisfied with how any of this has gone, or how I've seen it go for too many others. There's something to all of this. It seems like this isolated thing, but to me it's more like a prevalent problem that usually goes unseen. o_O

Honestly, I am tired of thinking about it. At this point, I have reached a level I can live with. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I'll take it, cut my losses, and just be happy my PSU isn't screaming at me anymore :p

I'll chime in when I have the new GPU installed. After that, I'm over this. I feel like this is something I could spend a lifetime figuring out. Or I could let it go and be a whole lot better put together in the end. Honestly, this is just a very longwinded way of saying that technology as it is now is not nearly good enough. Unbelievable, aint it? :p

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
All of this originated with that faulty wall outlet.

Be well and sleep even weller knowing this is over.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Well... ...most important first. I've got my Corsair RM650x up and running. Happy to report that it is dead quiet. My face lit up when I pressed the power button and nothing but silence followed. That's something the Seasonics couldn't do for me. It's official - those Seasonic PSU's were definitely faulty. I mean, the moment I power on any machine, on any circuit, they scream. While this one doesn't. So that's kinda that.

The noises I heard before, both coming from the speakers and from various components in the machine are gone. What's left coming through the speakers is so faint that I can live with it. It's not at all like before, where it was just obnoxious screeching and cracking and popping coming from damned near everything. I'm still kind of taken aback by that. But no... this noise is characteristically different.

I suspect the remaining noise I'm hearing is actually from my EVGA GTX 1050. It sounds like what people often call "GPU coil whine." Which listening to samples can literally sound like anything :p I think what people are calling coil whine is actually something else (or maybe its better to say it is a catch-all for many different things.) What I mean is that is sounds specifically like what is often heard coming from GPU's. Just like it is for me, it often causes audio interference as well, which as bill pointed out earlier, shouldn't be with simple coil whine. But it nearly always is with reports of GPU "coil whine." And it certainly is now. I can hear the characteristic GPU whine coming ONLY from the GPU. If I switch it into another machine I get the same result. I have an RX 580 on the way. I strongly believe that'll be the end of it. It's possible that this GPU has been whining the whole time, and I just couldn't discern it from other sources of noise that are only now eliminated.

Here's what I'm left with. I have dealt with not one source of noise, but many. Over time swapping things out, the source probably changed from one to the other. I'm now of the belief that nearly any part can show this vulnerability under the right circumstances. Somehow I managed to create several different scenarios leading to it. And unfortunately, I didn't do anything "wrong" here. There's nothing in all of this that says "Just don't don't do that and you'll be fine." It's not like I could've had any way of knowing. I am not new to this stuff at all. I built my first machine over a decade ago. And I have never encountered anything like this. Only ever heard faint whisperings... ...thought it was something that just doesn't happen all that often and when it does you swap out and move on.

I suspect that it is a set of widespread quality, or perhaps design problems that I think need to be addressed but likely won't be possible to. There must be a way to mitigate this on a component level, but I don't think it would be an easy thing to reproduce enough to snuff out from a design standpoint. You'd have to test everything with everything.

And yet, I've gone through several PSU's that are certifiably noisy, a mobo, a GPU... All of them isolated as sources of noise all on their own in many, many different configurations, even in different environments and on different main circuits. There's something to be said about that. It's hard for me to believe it still! But I'm not the only one to have this issue. In fact someone else has a thread on it right now!

It's one of those things that can happen to anyone, with no way to pinpoint it or know when it's gonna happen. I went through so many parts, circuits, setups, everything... ...and at different points, doing different things either made the noise change/go away, or come back. The only way I see that happening is if several components are involved. I really do believe that I could've moved out, built a whole new machine and still had the same problem! It likely runs that deep! This is no conspiracy. Just a matter of luck of the draw. Though I really think that if these are the odds, something is seriously wrong.

I think it's more widespread than people realize, and it doesn't seem to be something that anybody fully understands. No support teams I contacted had any idea or helpful advice (and to their credit many of them were awesome - they really tried and no doubt help tons of people!) In my travels I encountered many conversations just like the one in this thread. Same problems, to the letter. And many have gone to the same exhaustive measures as me. Often leading to no satisfactory explanation or solution. And when there has been a fix, it's been different every time. None of the conventional advice has worked in my case, or any that I have seen. This, to me, can only suggest that there is something going on with all of these cases that nobody has really gotten to the heart of. We have explanations that are somewhat true sometimes, but that's it. No definitive information exists on this shit! I've looked for a loooonnngg time!

Two things seems to be happening. Number one is a communications breakdown. People are mis-describing the problem as something it is not, and people on the other end are assuming something different. Overgeneralizing it. It may not be possible to even have a real conversation about it. Too many unknowns and things that can't reasonably be tested by enough people. The other part of the equation is that whatever is causing these problems must be component level and hard for users to test/verify, let alone report in an accurate or meaningful way. It's something manufacturers would have to figure out.

All I've got. Nerve wracking to know that things like this can happen, and that a problem like this could be around the corner at any time. I expect more for my money, and yet this is something nobody can expect to be guaranteed. Hmmm... it's a lot to take in. But I really doubt I'm just unlucky. It's not that uncommon with PC's. In months of looking into this crap, I've learned that there are so many people like me it isn't even funny. To me, that is unacceptable. But otoh, what can anyone do? Where do you even fuckin start when this is what you've got? Call me dramatic or whatever. That sucks :/

I'm going to let Seasonic know about my tribulations. That is at least one thing I'm sure of now. But I don't know if that's really enough. Even if Seasonic gets on top of it, people will continue having these problems and nobody will know why. And the worst part is there is no known, proven fix. The best advice anyone can give is to try a bunch of shit and hope something works. That's a bunch of crap. These things shouldn't happen to anyone. These are things that should just work. "Build a new machine." when there should be nothing wrong with the current one is not a reasonable fix. I'm not satisfied with how any of this has gone, or how I've seen it go for too many others. There's something to all of this. It seems like this isolated thing, but to me it's more like a prevalent problem that usually goes unseen. o_O

Honestly, I am tired of thinking about it. At this point, I have reached a level I can live with. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I'll take it, cut my losses, and just be happy my PSU isn't screaming at me anymore :p

I'll chime in when I have the new GPU installed. After that, I'm over this. I feel like this is something I could spend a lifetime figuring out. Or I could let it go and be a whole lot better put together in the end. Honestly, this is just a very longwinded way of saying that technology as it is now is not nearly good enough. Unbelievable, aint it? :p

Its possible you had a batch from seasonic that could of been faulty as companies buy in bulk.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ranting about this build a little below.
I will say... other than this, I'm really happy with how this build is coming together. I'm not getting too bitter about it. Honestly, I wasn't shooting for something this far into midrange. I started off with a super-budget build just to buy into current stuff, but then the right opportunities and misfortunes made it possible for me to have something that affords me so much more bang for my buck. I got a whole lot more than I'd hoped to, even with these issues.

Big picture... through the absurd amount of RMA's and switching around I had to do I actually wound up with a way better machine for very little money on top. Amazon may never let me return anything ever again, but like I said a couple weeks ago, "Everything will be as it should be."

And I swear that's so true. My old PSU foresaw me getting an AMD GPU alongside a beefier CPU and thus needing a lil more headroom, so it, um "reached out" to me through my speakers lol.

And then my recent GPU replacement foreshadowed that my lowly 1050 had whine I didn't yet know about. The universe said to me, "Hey, buy this RX 580 for $150, you'll need it for your travels." Day it ships, I discover the 1050 I've only been marginally satisfied with as-is has a minor noise problem. Someone here just happened to drop a decent, well-kept midrange card into my lap simultaneously - right as I began realizing that no Nvidia card, current or next-gen is going to be worth it for me in this market and had accepted that I would probably skip the good 10xx and 20xx cards for the foreseeable future unless I got crazy lucky. Even more unprecedented, I got an AMD offering at a better value than a comparable Nvidia one. When does that ever happen? Nobody gets to buy an RX 580 for better performance per dollar lol

And then, of course, AMD must've known I needed some multi-threading for my mixing software when they put up a 6c/12t CPU for ~$160. They also must've known about the like-new X370 board I had recently got for $120 to replace a dud B350 that I paid a little more than that for, and how it inspired me to upgrade my CPU in step. Top bid on ebay made me almost all of my money back on the refurb B350 I got from Asus. The old Ryzen 3 went in a build I did at a small profit, for an old friend from years ago that I randomly got back in touch with - this covered the 2600 completely. And then of course the cheap RAM I once thought was dead clocks up from 2400 to 3200 and runs stable like it's not a thing. Now, I'm looking at maybe $80 to have 16GB instead of $200. Means I can swing that second evo 860 I've been wanting.

It's so real, man. If I didn't have these problems, I wouldn't have half the stuff I do now. And the rest would've been holding me back if I hadn't replaced it for other reasons. Now, if somebody wants to buy my slightly whiny 1050, I will have a decent midrange build for just a smidgen less than I paid for the budget build I shot for originally! Life is eerily serendipitous sometimes.

Pretty much comes down to minor storage and aesthetic upgrades, now. No more big stuff or major tweaking to be done. After the new GPU arrives, I'm considering this one finished. People told me I picked a bad time to pick custom PC's back up but I think they were wrong, unless they foresaw my terrible luck with parts, heh. Just that one pesky problem that wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. So now... if I can just spend less time dicking around with inane crap and just appreciating the good fortune that came with it from here on in, I'll be good :D

Its possible you had a batch from seasonic that could of been faulty as companies buy in bulk.
As far as Seasonic's role in all of this goes... yes, it seems likely. I will be passing on whatever info I have to them. I keep serial numbers and other codes and things like that around - specifically for crap like this, so they'll likely be able to figure out what batch mine came from and investigate. About all we can hope for. I don't believe in "YOU fucked up, so you help me at the expense of your company and other customers." I think it should be more like "You help me, I help you." In this case I helped myself so I just hope the info I have will be useful. Be a shame for other people to get a hold of one like mine and have something really bad happen. They were so bad, my first assumption was "Now that's gotta be from something else. No WAY those are doing that on their own. Two separate models? Not possible..."

Now I know it is. Happens sometimes, even to the best of em. Shame, too. This RM650x is really well made from what I can tell, but the Seasonic was definitely a little better. Not to mention the cables didn't have long, epoxy and capacitor stuffed sheathing on the "device" end - and they were long enough to connect to the PSU with it outside of the machine. I really wanted to have one of those. Instead I got an also solid PSU that'll have to buy better cables for, heh.

As far as the rest of it goes, I just don't know anymore. It goes beyond just this thread. Started with an outlet, a mobo, a handful of USB audio interfaces, and a ton of obnoxious noise. Eliminated other secondary contributing sources along the way. The beginning of this thread is more like chapter 5 in my unprecedented noise gauntlet. I know stuff is just noisy sometimes, but in my case, pretty much every possible source of noise has found its way to me one after the other, simply for the crime of doing what everybody else does with their builds and expecting it to work like it should. I'm just waiting for my RCA cables to start picking up radio signals! At this point, it would make more sense if there was a beacon in my head making my brain pick up the noise than it having anything to do with any of my equipment :p

But no, really. There's another thread here with something like this happening to someone else right now. And I've read many horror stories just like mine. Makes me wonder why so much of this expensive electronic gear is THAT sensitive to noise, so much so that it a seems to defy physics and basic principles of electricity. Something is wrong with that picture. Maybe personal bias talking. I've had some bad times this year. I just feel like it doesn't need to be. In my vast troubleshooting web I have encountered many great, feasible solutions that simply don't exist. How a vulnerability can go so overlooked is beyond me. Just my takeaway.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
FWIW, I've always heard some kind of buzzing noise from speakers (at least hooked up to analog, not sure about digital) at high volumes. There's some kind of background noise there... but amplified coil whine would be extremely aggravating. Admittedly my PSU whines a little, but it's not enough to drive me crazy. Now back in the day I had an Antec Smartpower 2.0 and that thing... it drove me mad.

Anyway I'm glad you got it sorted, and I appreciate the lengths you went to trying to figure it out and documenting the whole thing here. It frustrates me to know that you got two bad units in a row from Seasonic of all places... if you do contact them about it, please bring that to us as well. Seasonic is my top brand power supply and it's what I would prefer to buy myself if the need arose or recommend to anyone else in the market, but that coil whine is kinda shaking my faith with that...

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
I just bought the 1000w version based on the fact that seasonic are the best psu's money can buy. Then I hit the forum and spotted your post... I really hope the quality of this psu lives up to my expectations. I'll be sending it straight back if it makes any noise at all. I hope you get your coil whine issue sorted.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
I just bought the 1000w version based on the fact that seasonic are the best psu's money can buy. Then I hit the forum and spotted your post... I really hope the quality of this psu lives up to my expectations. I'll be sending it straight back if it makes any noise at all. I hope you get your coil whine issue sorted.
Let us know if it's noisy or not, if you don't mind

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
That's the first time reading so much frustration over a common known problem...

First time seeing someone just doing doing doing... YOU HAVE TO DO LOOP MEASURING. Not your ears, loopback test and find the noise in the graph! All your doing need to have reason and it should be shown there in the plot. Audacity is your friend.

And there are USB isolators and those are commonly used, especially with RF and medical devices, as basically domestic grade things we have, seasonic or not is all sh**. It is a waste of breath to fight it, as for a common mainstream user it is not an issue. Also thinking that better efficiency grade should help with rail noise? Nada, it is not working like that, those two are not directly related, the platform principle, filtering complexity and then part quality. Bigger powered PSU's from the same line(platform) rarely do differ in minor voltages, the 12V rail is only beefed. The problem usually remains, it is by design.

PC is a crap source as it is full of leaky loud PLL's, dynamic clocks(the worst sucker), vibrations, EM fields from rotating fans... (they rotate 1000-3000Hz = audio range) it is nearly impossible to filter it out and have a proper clean analog line in audio spectrum and again, nobody bothers about that, while scrolling web or watching kitten videos.

If you do not hear it, it doesn't mean it is not there. Basically concentration only on the coil whine in the PSU is a miss... the biggest fluctuation is caused by the CPU interrupts, and the thing that has the lowest access to do that and does that often is mice... it causes VRM's to sing in a choir as the current systematically flows according to your interrupt rate... and mouse works from 100Hz to 1000Hz and thats audio spectrum... with current PC manufacturing trends, the VRM sections are awful(their switching speed is also matters)... so in the end, it all sums up, some platforms are more prone to it thou, some are not. Basically, more efficient modern PC's cause more EM noise due to power conservation in idle, it a known practice for PA guys to disable any kind of power saving for any device to fight noise.

Plan A
Try cheap ADUM4160 + charge pump type 5W power converter based things, that deliver USB 1.0 speeds, it is enough for two channel recording, if your device allows such mode, there rare but more pricey USB 2.0 isolators, that work, I have them too. And only then connect the PC with some other audio devices for audio reproduction or recording. After those isolators measurements are dead silent and USB data + 5V rail noise loop is lifted. There are other ones thou... With grounding problems you can kill those isolators too, keep in mind that.

Plan B
Use SPDIF optical, it should remedy all your problems for home usage and bring the noise floor to the desired bottom and it is cheap.

Plan C
There are PA guys, doing concerts, venues... ask them for help and advice, they are used to it, if some noise would pick up during concert, or recording is spoiled, they loose their job, they know what to do usually.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's the first time reading so much frustration over a common known problem...

First time seeing someone just doing doing doing... YOU HAVE TO DO LOOP MEASURING. Not your ears, loopback test and find the noise in the graph! All your doing need to have reason and it should be shown there in the plot. Audacity is your friend.

And there are USB isolators and those are commonly used, especially with RF and medical devices, as basically domestic grade things we have, seasonic or not is all sh**. It is a waste of breath to fight it, as for a common mainstream user it is not an issue. Also thinking that better efficiency grade should help with rail noise? Nada, it is not working like that, those two are not directly related, the platform principle, filtering complexity and then part quality. Bigger powered PSU's from the same line(platform) rarely do differ in minor voltages, the 12V rail is only beefed. The problem usually remains, it is by design.

PC is a crap source as it is full of leaky loud PLL's, dynamic clocks(the worst sucker), vibrations, EM fields from rotating fans... (they rotate 1000-3000Hz = audio range) it is nearly impossible to filter it out and have a proper clean analog line in audio spectrum and again, nobody bothers about that, while scrolling web or watching kitten videos.

If you do not hear it, it doesn't mean it is not there. Basically concentration only on the coil whine in the PSU is a miss... the biggest fluctuation is caused by the CPU interrupts, and the thing that has the lowest access to do that and does that often is mice... it causes VRM's to sing in a choir as the current systematically flows according to your interrupt rate... and mouse works from 100Hz to 1000Hz and thats audio spectrum... with current PC manufacturing trends, the VRM sections are awful(their switching speed is also matters)... so in the end, it all sums up, some platforms are more prone to it thou, some are not. Basically, more efficient modern PC's cause more EM noise due to power conservation in idle, it a known practice for PA guys to disable any kind of power saving for any device to fight noise.

Plan A
Try cheap ADUM4160 + charge pump type 5W power converter based things, that deliver USB 1.0 speeds, it is enough for two channel recording, if your device allows such mode, there rare but more pricey USB 2.0 isolators, that work, I have them too. And only then connect the PC with some other audio devices for audio reproduction or recording. After those isolators measurements are dead silent and USB data + 5V rail noise loop is lifted. There are other ones thou... With grounding problems you can kill those isolators too, keep in mind that.

Plan B
Use SPDIF optical, it should remedy all your problems for home usage and bring the noise floor to the desired bottom and it is cheap.

Plan C
There are PA guys, doing concerts, venues... ask them for help and advice, they are used to it, if some noise would pick up during concert, or recording is spoiled, they loose their job, they know what to do usually.
Interesting stuff. I agree with a lot of that. It's nice to see some actual explanations confirming what I've been suspecting. I'm not sure I agree that consumers don't care. I think at best they're complacent about it. I mean, when you buy an "audio grade" mobo and have noise in your fancy gaming headset with your fancy GPU, PSU, CPU... ...and you spent good money on it all, you're going to be mad that something like that is taking away from your experience. People will pay for that, I bet. Nobody truly finds it acceptable. They begrudgingly take the only option they have. And people talk about this all of the time. Noise is a real concern for many enthusiasts. People place increased value on quieter gear. A great many people out there do more than scroll the web and watch kitten videos ;) For many people, these machines are supposed to be high-end, one-stop entertainment centers. With that comes the expectation that there won't be interference.

I do agree that it's kind of hit or miss. And I know all too well that pretty much anything inside of a PC can cause these issues. That is what I'm frustrated with. I wish there were audio-oriented options. Beef up the isolation... ...avoid situations where audible noise carries through, even at the expense of things that maybe aren't as important in some cases. Even the stuff marketed as such, really isn't that at all. Maybe they put in a nicer DAC, better output section, whatever. But fundamentally they're the same and have the same vulnerabilities. Maybe some people don't care, but a lot do. I think of all of the studios out there with PC's doing increasingly more of the work. I have money that I would put towards that, but nobody wants to take it! And it's impossible to shop for what I need. I have to basically just cross my fingers, you know? I get that it's pretty much by design. I just wish more was being done to mitigate it. You know? I don't think it's too much to ask. Many people won't want to pay for that, but for those of us that would, it'd be nice to actually be able to.

Funny how new components are worse about this. Years back, none of my older machines ever had these problems. Not once.

The mouse/VRM thing is interesting. I didn't observe the mouse issue, though I've heard of it. CPU/VRM dependent interference, I have definitely encountered. Personally, I will say that I don't care whether it's there or not. I can accept that it's part of the deal when trying to link up all of these different, naturally noisy components in one enclosure. The only problem is that I can hear it, loudly. Already knowing that doesn't have to be and often isn't the case, I can't simply accept it as the nature of the beast. Not when I know it is possible to do better with what's available.

And with those PSU's it was beyond a minor annoyance. When the noise is so loud I can hear it over everything... ...to the point where it drowns out reverbs and keeps me from being able to properly EQ... ...that is unacceptable. I don't think anybody would accept what I got from those PSU's - not even for cat videos. It was freakishly pervasive and penetrating. They were really screaming. Just this horrible piercing noise drilling into your head and taking all of your concentration away. Shrill and painful. Sticks with you when it's turned off. Most PSU's I've had were not that bad. And I'm not talking about interference. I'm talking about extremely loud, audible noise coming directly from the PSU. Nothing about that is normal or acceptable. If that's just how PSU's are then things have really changed.

My thinking was simple logic. I had no noise issues until I changed the PSU, so to me it makes sense to try to find another PSU that isn't as susceptible. Other components may still have vulnerabilities, but they weren't coming into play for me. I had already ruled those out. Only the PSU's noise was audible in my speakers - and only the right PSU solved it. I knew this before I had one of my own in hand. So it made sense to me *shrugs* Not gonna pretend like I think it was ideal, or that it really went all that well. But I think I'll live. In the end it did get me what I was after. Changing the PSU eliminated noise both through the speakers and coming from other components, save for the GPU, which I think you can blame the GPU's VRM for. I actually touched on it being a losing battle. I can see that. But for me persistence paid off and I finally got what I was after. All it cost me was a little time and peace of mind, for a little while. I only wish there had been a better way.

I think what you're saying makes perfect sense. It's the situation itself that's nonsense. And it was all I could do just to try everything I could muster. I've considered the approaches you've mentioned, and others as well. I may not have done loopback testing, but at no point did I not have enough to go by to pin down the cause. From the very beginning, I had it isolated to the PSU. It was already confirmed that it is possible to have a PSU in there that makes it a non-issue. I just don't see how whether or not I had susceptibilities in other areas would have changed what needed to be done. Having tried everything else, the best I could do was try to find a more suitable unit. I really don't think it's all that unreasonable of an approach. Maybe you picture me just flailing my arms around or something. Simply not the case. I sat and I thought about this. I researched as deeply as I could. I used every means I had access to and I tried to always approach it calmly, just chipping away at everything little by little. There was just nothing left to do.

USB isolators I've tried extensively. None of them worked for me. I had some that worked passively, and others that lifted things off of the USB bus... ...but in the end, so long as USB was supplying data, the noise was as loud as ever. :/

My DAC takes optical input and yes, that works perfectly. I've mentioned that. The problem is that I can't monitor input through it. For listening it's great, but past that it's not helping me. And low latency interfaces with optical i/o are prohibitively expensive. Not to mention they necessitate multiple optical lines, when I only have the one out on my mobo. So now I'm stuck buying a sound card, a pricey interface with features I don't need, and just hoping the sound card is snappy enough to be suitable. Not ideal.

I do wish I had better access to people with real experience here. I have struggled to find ANYTHING that works, outside of changing the suspect part. And like you said, there's no way to completely remove the underlying vulnerability. That's how I got to the point where I was swapping components and just praying that things would change. If I could've found an easier, more sensible way, I would have. Believe me, I tried the more sensible options first. Before this thread.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I agree. Coil whine, interference and other electrical noises like that fuck me up the wall. I can deal with the little bit of coil whine I get from my PSU, but if it were coming through my speakers I would take it 10x worse. That's just unacceptable.

Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
ok I just installed the PSU and it is tiny!!!!!!!!

its a 3rd of the size of my old 1200w tt toughpower.

I just ran a few benchmarks and it is absolutely silent. No coil whine. i'm very happy with it!!!!:toast:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I agree. Coil whine, interference and other electrical noises like that fuck me up the wall. I can deal with the little bit of coil whine I get from my PSU, but if it were coming through my speakers I would take it 10x worse. That's just unacceptable.
Dude, no kidding. I guess it's really a little thing, but it gets to you after a while. Once I get attuned to it, it's basically over. Can't do it.

And now that I have the RX 580 in, I don't have to. And I get halfway decent graphical performance. :D The GTX 1050 was the final agent in this build's conspiracy to slowly drive me insane - though compared to all of the noise I've dealt with before it thankfully wasn't that bad. I would have easily lived with it had I not happened upon a reasonably-priced RX 580.

But man... noise-prone outlet, noise-prone motherboard, chattering GPU, multiple noise-prone PSU's. In the back of my mind I've been wondering to myself if I'm just an idiot and there's just some critical thing I'm doing wrong or just not doing. But now that I've got it sorted, I wonder how many people's machines out there have this nightmare lurking beneath and it just doesn't have a chance to come out... ...it's just kind of crazy to have it that bad. A little noise, I expect. Blaring, pervasive noise, from everything, is just... ...man I don't know what to think. Years back, I don't remember it ever being like this. Audio quality wasn't as good, but the worst thing I dealt with was cell-phone interference from setting it down in the wrong spot <_<

Eh, I'll just count my blessings. Shame, this 1050 is a nice card, for what it is. I'll toss it in my other rig and use the optical out for sound to have light gaming in the living room, I guess. I was hoping to sell it after dropping in the RX 580, but it doesn't feel right to sell it knowing what's up with it.

Now I've got a decent all-rounder AND I can finally really get down to doing the main thing I wanna do with it. Holy crap. It's like having a crush on a girl for months and then one day you ask her out and she tells you she's been madly in love with you the whole time. It feels just like that. Believe me I know! :D

I've been at war with about every possible source of noise for months now. Actual months! I thought it'd never end. o_O *phew*

Maybe it was just fate's way of telling me I needed some upgrades. I guess in the end I am a lot happier with this build now than I would've been with what I originally sought out to do. I wound up with some pretty decent stuff in the box. Decent all-rounder. Maybe more than I needed but not more than I wanted! There could always be more, hehe. *so long as it's quiet*

ok I just installed the PSU and it is tiny!!!!!!!!

its a 3rd of the size of my old 1200w tt toughpower.

I just ran a few benchmarks and it is absolutely silent. No coil whine. i'm very happy with it!!!!:toast:
Glad its working out for you! Though honestly I wasn't too worried for you. I don't think what I experienced is typical. I won't be the only one, no doubt, but that wasn't normal. In the future, I would still buy Seasonic. I really did want to be able to use them! Things just got a little too freaky. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I found out that my power supply isn't the source of the coil whine I'm hearing. It's my 18650 charger. :rolleyes:

Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Software Windows11pro
I used an m12 for 14yrs in one rig sold it to a friend who then used it and he sol it to another friend and Its still going strong. seasonic are the best without a doubt.
Good luck with all your hardware in the future! we all buy hardware and the excitement of building a rig is half from the hope that your hardware will be golden, and your system will be the best version of that combination of silicon. for me it is anyway... the first time you buy a cpu, gpu or memory that is golden and clocks amazingly the feeling is something else.:toast:

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I found out that my power supply isn't the source of the coil whine I'm hearing. It's my 18650 charger. :rolleyes:
Haha, I've had that problem with a few of mine, though the efest LUC v4 I've been using for a couple of years doesn't.

Though funnily enough, unplugging it was one of the first things I tried. I don't know why, it was just the first thing I thought to do. :p

I used an m12 for 14yrs in one rig sold it to a friend who then used it and he sol it to another friend and Its still going strong. seasonic are the best without a doubt.
Good luck with all your hardware in the future! we all buy hardware and the excitement of building a rig is half from the hope that your hardware will be golden, and your system will be the best version of that combination of silicon. for me it is anyway... the first time you buy a cpu, gpu or memory that is golden and clocks amazingly the feeling is something else.:toast:
Cheers, man. I feel the same way. Nothing better than dropping something in and having it run even better than expected!

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Haha, I've had that problem with a few of mine, though the efest LUC v4 I've been using for a couple of years doesn't.

Though funnily enough, unplugging it was one of the first things I tried. I don't know why, it was just the first thing I thought to do. :p

I've also heard it come from other AC/DC adapters as well. I think I used to have one that I used to charge a cell phone that did it. Since it's that though, and not my PC, it bothers me less.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
But they could have made it so that it wasn't vulnerable to that particular interference by taking it off of USB bus power.
Does this only happen with USB audio devices? I have a Fiio E17k Alpen and while I've never had issues with the PSU making it whine (I have a Seasonic PSU,) but, I did actually have issues with which USB port I plugged it into. You mentioned that you isolated USB power from the device and it still occurred. That's weird. First of all, if power was isolated, any "noise" on the data lines would disrupt the digital USB signal which would cause the device to disconnect. When it comes to differential signaling, if there is an uncorrectable error, it will just fall over. It also would require one of the data lines not being balanced with the other (meaning that one of the differential pairs is getting different interference than the other because differential signaling depends on interference between the two being the same to do error correction.)

Now, with that said, if my USB audio device connects to a USB 3.0 port, for some weird reason it will produce an insane amount of static rendering it practically unusable and after days of research, it turned out to be the usage of one of the USB 3.0 ports on my board. Putting it in a USB 2.0 port or behind a USB 2.0 hub on a 3.0 port solved the issue for me. What's even more weird is that I can plug it into a USB 3.0 port on my Macbook Pro and it works, so not only was it USB 3.0, it was USB 3.0 in the context of my tower.

It also seems to be the case that many USB audio devices are sensitive to being put on a USB 3.0 port so, if this issue comes back up, I would focus on that.

FWIW, I've had my Seasonic 1000w Platinum for > 6 years and it has been rock solid and I've bought Seasonic X-series gold PSUs for several other people, none of which have had an issue with coil whine or failures but, I have definitely had issues with my USB audio device due to the controller being used or OS (not quite sure which it was.)