• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Time is Money: Slow Online Checkouts a Big No-No for Order Completion Among gamers

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
The rhythms of our lives have been increasing non-stop as technology advances, and we're more and more unappreciative of any lost time. We try and do everything as efficiently as possible to be able to attend to the myriad of other issues we have to take on yet. "It is simply a matter of time", said Morpheus to Commander Lock in Matrix Reloaded. That wording is true in all manner of issues, whether in digital cyberpunk fantasy-land or in real life, where time is the ultimate judge. Ascending from these philosophical depths, though, there's a simple matter that actually does take issue with time: online orders.

SuperData, a market intelligence firm, has revealed a report where it's been found that over 27% of the gamer population has left online orders in limbo, never quite finishing them. The issue? Time and convoluted purchase processes, whether with multiple registration steps, email confirmation, a slew of obligatory data checks, shipping, payment options... Everything that isn't seamless makes gamers - and I'd say, people that aren't gamers as well - leave their orders unfinished.

There's obviously part of a "complicated" equation where the effort is just too much and takes away all the will to drive the process through. However, I'd argue there's something else at stake as well: the more time is wasted or taken with an online purchase process (or any kind of purchase process, for that matter) leaves open more time for the impulse buy factor to be mitigated by rationalization. "So, I'm wasting my time with this already" is a surefire way to open up thoughts of "do I really need this game with a backlog of 27,000 games that I already have?" I've been there, at least.

However, SuperData's analysis has focused more on the payment options part of the equation - and I've been there as well."One of the most-easily overlooked aspects of the digital games market, payment options are more vital to performance than publishers and platforms realize," said SuperData. "Offering the right mix of payment options for your platform, audience, and market is key in optimizing conversion and repeat payments." This is particularly important in Europe, where some 54% of would-be, almost-were buyers have left the checkout process without completing simply because the seller didn't provide their preferred payment option. The US comes close, at 50%, and Latin America comes in at third with 43% of abandoned carts.

Speed, ease of use - and of course, security - are the holy grails of consumer satisfaction and machine-like state of consumerism, where no stopgaps allow time for a concerted train of thought to be, well, stopped. PayPal being the preferred method, right after credit cards, isn't a coincidence. Things can hardly become easier than with PayPal's one-click buy and other such offerings. And isn't it great when we can auto-fill our credit card details dor an online order? (Don't do that, really. Don't take that risk).

It's true that convoluted checkout processes stop order fulfillment, and that wasted time is a big no-no for most people. However, there's something to be said about all of those unfinished orders, and there are some very many interesting questions left unanswered. How many of those unfinished sales on a given platform converted to a finished order in another, simpler, more streamlined one? How many of those purchase decisions were abandoned outright? What percentage of them were driven by impulse-buys and which were actual, thought-through purchase decisions that fell due to lack of trust in the available payment options?

It's an uber-fast world out there, and it's a "be faster or be left behind" world. Apparently, that does extend to everything - even to digital goods in a digital platform from the comfort of our own homes, chairs, or phones.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Mail confirmations, time-consuming (and not working properly} captcha, complicated password requirements etc. can go f*ck themselves. However I'd never agree to eg. auto paypal logging - as long as money is directly involved, I want proper safety.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I have to say, as a non-Gamer, for the most part, I rarely have had this issue. Most of my non-purchases have been because of the website's security issues. Or, because, I decide to shop around and find a better deal or better product.

I spend more time checking out an unknown site's security, now-a-days, because I had both my bank and credit card hacked a couple of month's ago. Both were quick to inform me and protect me but, it meant being card-less for 4 days.

It also taught me how much I rely on these plastic money doo-dads!

I can say, and agree, Captcha's are bull pucky. How serious is robot shopping?

My Alexa, or my Google Home, don't buy anything from Newegg. Not even sure if they could if they had the ability to want anything. But If I want to buy something from Newegg, which happens on occasion, I am asked to prove I am not a robot. Thanks. No Thanks. What a PITA! I find the Amazon beats Newegg prices almost 99% of the time, anyways. Amazon realizes I am not a robot and even allows me to use Alexa and I even have some Buttons! I can order Pop Tarts and Cleaning Supplies, individually, by pressing a button I keep in the cupboards! How does that work? And doesn't need a Captcha? I have to sign in to both sites, yet only one thinks I may be a robot.

:roll:

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I recently read a study somewhere that said, at least in the US, if the online checkout process is not 100% completed in 13.49 seconds or less, most buyers will just go to another vendor's site that has faster checkouts, even if they have to pay a few $$ more for the same product.

But I do agree with the no-no of auto-checkouts via paypal, why take that risk with all the crap going on online nowadays ?

And I feel the same way about brick & mortar stores too....the ones who insist on capturing your zip code, phone # or other personal info at the checkouts. When I ask why they need this info, I either get a blank stare, or the lame "it's just our policy" nonsense.....by that time I am of course already out the door and back to my car....heading to the place across the street.....

By far the worst offenders are clothing stores, where they ALWAYS insist on very slowly removing the anti-theft tags, and then very slowly taking the clothes from their hangers and then even more slowly folding them into the perfect shape/size and agonizingly sliding the items into their micro-thin super-elcheapo plastic bags, like it was made of 24k gold or something.... I started just removing the friggin hangers and tags myself to prevent these delays, but I get all sorts of strange looks from the cashiers for doing so....

Hey a**hole, just toss the damned thing into the bag, after all, it's going into the washer as soon as I get home anyway !!!!!!

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Not sure if it is, "they ALWAYS insist on..." Probably has more to do with boredom, or lack of giving a shit, or they actually are doing their best, or it is "company" policy relating to "Customer Service" which we all crave so damn much!

We just did a survey, company did, and we changed our service. Used to be we vacuumed your car, when we did an Oil Change. Now, we don't. It is now an $8 charge to vacuum the car. No complaints from anybody! None, in the last 2 weeks! And, we still sell the vacuum service on a 1 in 18-20 car run. So, all these years vacuuming peoples cars and in reality, only 5% of the customers even cared.

Another plus? 15 minute cars, or less. Less wait, more customers. More customers, more money. More money, more employees. More employees, ME GET TIME OFF, NOT WORK 6 DAYS A WEEK!

All work and no play makes Arjai wanna kill people.

So, I am all for the new service! It saves Lives!!

:kookoo: [/Rant]

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
But they do ALWAYS insist, because they will not ring up your stuff without doing this crap...I know its what they're expected to do, but making me wait at the check out while they f*ck around for an extra 8-10 mins. on stupid unnecessary Bullshit procedures/policy performance is NOT customer service to me....just the opposite IMHO...

At least with the oil change, I am given the OPTION of whether I want to spend the extra time, and money, waiting for the additional services. Thats the way it should be, since I am the one spending my hard earned cash....☺

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I used to have serious issue with registration, logging in, extra authentication, payment, address, etc etc... then I bought RoboForm. Instant gratification, consistency, security, time saved.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
There should be a "I've left unfinished orders because my ADD got the best of me and I thought that the extra "Click to Order" screen was an order confirmation screen."

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
This is nothing compared to Japanese online forms. Nobody can beat them on the complexity and ridiculously waste of time until you SUCCESFULLY complete their forms to order or purchase sometihng. :laugh::kookoo::kookoo:

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Wanted to reply.
Had to log in.
Luckily browser remembered.
Had to confirm some account mumbo jumbo (no time to read).
Had to confirm mumbo jumbo again (didn't work the first time).
Comment starts:
SO TRUE !
I don't buy a lot of stuff because this particular issue.
I simple have no time for BS.
I'm surprised I had time to write this comment.
NO TIME. bye !

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
This is nothing compared to Japanese online forms. Nobody can beat them on the complexity and ridiculously waste of time until you SUCCESFULLY complete their forms to order or purchase sometihng. :laugh::kookoo::kookoo:
Yup, I feel your pain.
I collect watches, but I tend to stay away from Japanese sites, even though I could save a bit of money, because it's such a pain in the Gluteus Maximus!

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Not sure if it is, "they ALWAYS insist on..." Probably has more to do with boredom, or lack of giving a shit, or they actually are doing their best, or it is "company" policy relating to "Customer Service" which we all crave so damn much!

We just did a survey, company did, and we changed our service. Used to be we vacuumed your car, when we did an Oil Change. Now, we don't. It is now an $8 charge to vacuum the car. No complaints from anybody! None, in the last 2 weeks! And, we still sell the vacuum service on a 1 in 18-20 car run. So, all these years vacuuming peoples cars and in reality, only 5% of the customers even cared.

Another plus? 15 minute cars, or less. Less wait, more customers. More customers, more money. More money, more employees. More employees, ME GET TIME OFF, NOT WORK 6 DAYS A WEEK!

All work and no play makes Arjai wanna kill people.

So, I am all for the new service! It saves Lives!!
:kookoo: [/Rant]

How did they not already know that? They take their car to any place for oil changes b/c they don't care about it. If they don't care to have quality oil/filter change, have it done by a trustworthy person (since they're too lazy/stupid to do it themselves), then why would they care about a vacuum when the fat asses will just trash it, anyway?

Management never has a clue lol.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Seems a bit ridiculous... checking out is too hard now?

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
We've become such an instant gratification society. I weep for humanity.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Atom 270
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3-1333
Storage 160GB WD 2.5"
Case Custom
Power Supply Seasonic-Passive
Bureaucracy is the problem.... needless complexity for the buyer that wastes their time.
If it isn't simple and fast there are plenty of other places they can go... and they do.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Seems a bit ridiculous... checking out is too hard now?

Seriously. And personally, I kind of have social anxiety (at least with crowds), so anything online is better for me. I never once thought it could be better.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The whole twice i tried to buy in game items, it lagged out on me. So i cancelled them and never tried again.

This sounds like some corporate monkey wrote it. "We don't want for you to think twice before paying, we want you to pay twice and think once". When I pay 60 or 80€ for a game, I want to be damn sure I'm checking out the right thing. So, 5 seconds or 1 minute, makes no bloody difference for me. And that applies across the board even for non-gaming items. Which is why I don't like the whole idea of storing paying credentials for "ultra fast checkouts".

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Fast checkouts are really only 'wanted' by people who don't want to face their purchase and sellers who thrive on impulse purchases (gaming? gamers? young people, lootboxes, 'one more turn', 'one more game',... seems about the perfect target group).

Sure, things don't have to take an unnecessary amount of time, but its complete BS that people run to another vendor (and take 2-3x longer before the purchase is actually complete... because you never get to a new vendor instantly at the right product and into checkout) because of a few seconds to 'stop and think'. In fact, a responsible vendor would ask its customers to take that time to review the order to make sure they got it right.

And even then, there are the security considerations. Fully automating checkouts is the worst thing you can do. Its also a wet dream for many companies and even banks: remove those barriers so there is less conscious behaviour associated with making a purchase = makes it easier to purchase something. its well researched and documented - this article is just a vile take on that research.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
How about the self checkout lanes that are becoming popular in stores, such as Target? I loath them and love them at the same time.

I hate (absolutely hate) small talk. I don't want to stand there waiting for someone to ring up my products while they're commenting on my shirt or asking how my day went or what my plans are for the weekend. My wife tells me to be nice if the person talking to me is being nice, so I at least give out one to two word responses while I show indifference towards them and don't tell them to just not talk to me. 95% of people talking to me catch on after a couple questions that I'm not one to chat or that I couldn't care less about what they had to say and they stop talking. The last 5% keep talking and my irritation builds up and then I'm left irritated to no ends for a good portion of the day....I'm odd like that.

The self checkout lanes, they're there to reduce costs for the store (don't have to pay people to be ringing up customers at the checkout lanes).....but they take jobs away from people that may need them - this is why I loath them.

Not having to stand there trying to talk to someone ringing me up and I can generally ring myself up and get out faster than waiting in line, this is why I love them.

I don't do much purchasing online - this is generally left to buying computer stuff if I can't get it cheaper at my local Micro Center.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
How about the self checkout lanes that are becoming popular in stores, such as Target? I loath them and love them at the same time.

I hate (absolutely hate) small talk. I don't want to stand there waiting for someone to ring up my products while they're commenting on my shirt or asking how my day went or what my plans are for the weekend. My wife tells me to be nice if the person talking to me is being nice, so I at least give out one to two word responses while I show indifference towards them and don't tell them to just not talk to me. 95% of people talking to me catch on after a couple questions that I'm not one to chat or that I couldn't care less about what they had to say and they stop talking. The last 5% keep talking and my irritation builds up and then I'm left irritated to no ends for a good portion of the day....I'm odd like that.

The self checkout lanes, they're there to reduce costs for the store (don't have to pay people to be ringing up customers at the checkout lanes).....but they take jobs away from people that may need them - this is why I loath them.

Not having to stand there trying to talk to someone ringing me up and I can generally ring myself up and get out faster than waiting in line, this is why I love them.

I don't do much purchasing online - this is generally left to buying computer stuff if I can't get it cheaper at my local Micro Center.

Haha yep those 'must make small talk because policy and customer service bonus points' lines are the worst. Whoever thought of them... wow. I wonder if anyone really appreciates that - I think neither sender nor receiver really does. But if people want to start a little talk because the atmosphere is right, that's a different thing I think. Its the difference between 'the obligatory how are you today' versus genuine interest and just being genuinely nice. Thin line...

And the mood of the day... yep. Its pretty hard to get customer interaction right :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Haha yep those 'must make small talk because policy and customer service bonus points' lines are the worst. Whoever thought of them... wow. I wonder if anyone really appreciates that - I think neither sender nor receiver really does. But if people want to start a little talk because the atmosphere is right, that's a different thing I think. Its the difference between 'the obligatory how are you today' versus genuine interest and just being genuinely nice. Thin line...

And the mood of the day... yep. Its pretty hard to get customer interaction right :)
True, and I purposely choose express lanes to avoid small talk, but often get stuck behind some old fool that decides to dig around for a coin purse AFTER everything has been rung up, then continues to prattle on about how her hubby Bert had an operation and her mongrel dog had a cough etc.
To me it's infuriating, and I find myself telling people to get a move on, it's called express for a reason.