• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GOG Launches FCK DRM Initiative: Informing Gamers, Fighting DRM

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
GOG as a platform has been the pioneer in delivering DRM-free games to people all around the world. The basic idea is that ownership in DRM-infused games really isn't; it's more of a time bomb contract that gamers make with a third party that may or may not fulfill their end of the bargain (or may very well end support for a game, disable DRM verification servers in for single player games, and all of that).

As part of its effort to fight against DRM's entrenchment in the industry, and part of GOG's reasoning that the way to garner loyalty is not achieved by not trusting consumers from the get go, GOG launched their FCK DRM initiative, via a blog post on their news section, pointing to their new, information laden website. GOG says that "We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it's convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it", and that the goal of this initiative is to "educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM".

What is DRM?

Digital Rights Management, DRM, is a really broad term for tech that controls how, and when, digital content can be used - like your games, music, video, or books.

Games with DRM include a layer of software or code on top of what's needed to just play the game. Nowadays DRM will send your information to an online server, it could run checks to see if you touched any files, or outright refuse access unless you're logged in somewhere.

In other words, DRM is there to question what you're doing every step of the way.
Why should you care about DRM?

Because there is a killswitch built into your games. Sure, DRM might not affect you right now, but corporations hold the key and they'll only let you in as long as you can repeatedly prove ownership. As long as you're connected to the internet. As long as their DRM works without fault. As long they're still around.

So should the burden of proof be on you? Do you place your trust in someone who doesn't trust you?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Which is why I almost exclusively buy on GOG for quite some time. Even if game is a bit more expensive on Steam, I'll buy it on GOG instead. I don't even buy anything for Origin anymore because EA is a stinker and their client is garbage. Redownloading and reinstalling all games if you format Windows. Stupid. With Steam you just install it in same place and voila, GOG has quick import which isn't as fast as Steam and has to redownload some stuff, but it's automatic and I can do other stuff after I scan the games folder.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Which is why I almost exclusively buy on GOG for quite some time. Even if game is a bit more expensive on Steam, I'll buy it on GOG instead. I don't even buy anything for Origin anymore because EA is a stinker and their client is garbage. Redownloading and reinstalling all games if you format Windows. Stupid. With Steam you just install it in same place and voila, GOG has quick import which isn't as fast as Steam and has to redownload some stuff, but it's automatic and I can do other stuff after I scan the games folder.

Yep, I have a nice GoG collection myself, I just wish GoG Galaxy had a "Lite" version, with no built in anything except a game updater, lol, it feels kind of bloated like other clients are, when it doesn't need to be.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Great job GOG I hope this will be a model for others...

I think you have that backwards, GOG games run fine just being copied over from a backup into a fresh install of Windows. Steam Games still need to redownload a few files, but not all.

Yep, I have a nice GoG collection myself, I just wish GoG Galaxy had a "Lite" version, with no built in anything except a game updater, lol, it feels kind of bloated like other clients are, when it doesn't need to be.
You don't have to use it the GOG Galaxy Client, completely optional. I don't, download and install all my games the normal way.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I remember a thing with older games from defunct studios, Games with always online DRM wont allow folks to play the damn game because the publisher/studio who made the game no longer exists and nobody decided to step in and keep the servers running. The guy was looking for a work around for the DRM.

I think it was a reddit post where i read it where a poster was asking for help but everyone just jumped him all at once, telling him he should of bought the game when in fact he did have the game but get couldnt play it because of DRM...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Couldn't agree more with GoG. DRM should be illegal, the lengths some of it goes to, at least.

Unfortunately I've only bought a couple of old games from GoG, because that's all I was interested in. It's hard to support them without content and that's the key. None of the premium games companies will publish on GoG, specifically because of the lack of DRM.

As it was, the games I bought were Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004, which I already had on Steam and bought specifically to support GoG.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Unfortunately I've only bought a couple of old games from GoG, because that's all I was interested in. It's hard to support them without content and that's the key.
Haven’t been there in QUITE awhile, huh? Lots of good game content there from just the last 8 years, and quite a bit of newly released content as well, same as goes on Steam, minus the DRM.

Hell, my GOG Library is now bigger than Steam!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@rtwjunkie Cool, I'll check them out, but it's not been all that long.

I have to confess that the auto updates are a bit of a killer feature on Steam for me too. I've got hundreds of games on there and it would be impossible to keep them all updated manually, so I sorta grudgingly accept the Steam style account based DRM. It runs pretty smoothly too and installing games on another PC is a piece of cake, too.

I think you have that backwards, GOG games run fine just being copied over from a backup into a fresh install of Windows. Steam Games still need to redownload a few files, but not all.

You don't have to use it the GOG Galaxy Client, completely optional. I don't, download and install all my games the normal way.

Not if you're using Galaxy. And Steam doesn't redownload anything, it just has to go through first time install thing for each game when you run it. But that's few seconds thing, not downloading hundreds of gigabytes like with Origin...

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@rtwjunkie Cool, I'll check them out, but it's not been all that long.

I have to confess that the auto updates are a bit of a killer feature on Steam for me too. I've got hundreds of games on there and it would be impossible to keep them all updated manually, so I sorta grudgingly accept the Steam style account based DRM. It runs pretty smoothly too and installing games on another PC is a piece of cake, too.
Fair enough! Convenience is important, too.

Not if you're using Galaxy.
I've never used it and have no intention to, so perhaps that is an experience limited to the Galaxy client. Don't use it. Login to GOG, and download your games from your Library the normal way.

I only go looking for updates if a glitch or crash is encountered and then only the game that is having the issue. If it's not broken, don't go looking for a fix unless there is a reason. So for me, updates are rare. Even on Steam, auto-updates are turned off.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
GOG is great, it has titles you dont find on Steam. Its collection of early PC games, talking early 80s here, is without a doubt amazing, not to mention being able to play them on win10 just makes them that much better to experience again and again. You can find me on GOG under the same name.

#leasuresuitlarry!

I've never used it and have no intention to, so perhaps that is an experience limited to the Galaxy client. Don't use it. Login to GOG, and download your games from your Library the normal way.

I only go looking for updates if a glitch or crash is encountered and then only the game that is having the issue. If it's not broken, don't go looking for a fix unless there is a reason. So for me, updates are rare. Even on Steam, auto-updates are turned off.

Well, that's the freedom they give you. I like Galaxy client. It's convenient, but doesn't bound me to anything. Games still run without it if I want so all is fine either way.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Steam has backup and restore functionality built in. I just found about it and successfully used it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Steam has backup and restore functionality built in. I just found about it and successfully used it.

Uplay still has the best back up system ever. It takes 0 seconds. You literally can do a clean install of OS with no backups, and just login to Uplay on new OS, and click "locate installed game" it takes 10 seconds to discover the files compared to 2 mins plus to Steam discovering. For the same 50gb+ size games. Not sure why that is, but Uplay is the best imo, but Steam is better at other things and has a community, so eh.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Uplay still has the best back up system ever. It takes 0 seconds. You literally can do a clean install of OS with no backups, and just login to Uplay on new OS, and click "locate installed game" it takes 10 seconds to discover the files compared to 2 mins plus to Steam discovering. For the same 50gb+ size games. Not sure why that is, but Uplay is the best imo, but Steam is better at other things and has a community, so eh.

Good to know, but I've only used Uplay maybe once because I don't play many Ubisoft titles at all.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Pretty cool.. but a bit tasteless for a campaign title. lol. /prude

That said, I'm so invested in Steam's library that I've sort of reached the point of no return. And GOG's "transfer" program they just released doesn't qualify for a single title. So all I have pretty much have is the Witcher series and.... Defender of the Crown (old Amiga nostalgia).

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling Bykski Ryzen Waterblock + BlackIce Pro 360 radiator + D5 variable pump + Corsair HD120 x 4
Memory 16 GB G.Skill RIPJAWS @ 4000Mhz 18-22-22
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti with Bykski Waterblock
Storage 2x 970 EVO Plus 1tb + 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3 TB Other
Display(s) Samsung 40KU6300 UHD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Logitech G304 + Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10/High Sierra Dual Boot

Wait what? Just install steam client with all games in non-OS drive. Now whenever You format Your OS and want to play games, just launch steam from where You installed it previously. Nothing needs to be reinstalled here...not even the client. It always made me wondering when people talk about "back and restore" and "reinstalling games on steam" etc etc. Its pretty simple.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Wait what? Just install steam client with all games in non-OS drive. Now whenever You format Your OS and want to play games, just launch steam from where You installed it previously. Nothing needs to be reinstalled here...not even the client. It always made me wondering when people talk about "back and restore" and "reinstalling games on steam" etc etc. Its pretty simple.

My prob is I scatter them across different drives (OS drive is Optane, and sometimes I like games on it).

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Yeah, I wonder, what the greedbags would answer to the question of what happens if your company dies? Even the best ones might, because stuff happens. What then? Delete the game or search for shady cracks? What would they say? xD
Anyway, GOG will be around as long as their own games enough money. The lack of all the AAA games is probably hurting them, but nowadays they do have a bunch of upper end stuff available.
Not gonna lie, I am sticking to Steam, convenience and all, plus I really dislike multiple sites/launchers for games. Though all Witcher's plus some old stuff is on GOG for me.

Saw that too. It does work, but still doesn't solve the problem of publishers having the ability of denying users access to games.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling Bykski Ryzen Waterblock + BlackIce Pro 360 radiator + D5 variable pump + Corsair HD120 x 4
Memory 16 GB G.Skill RIPJAWS @ 4000Mhz 18-22-22
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti with Bykski Waterblock
Storage 2x 970 EVO Plus 1tb + 960GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD + 4TB WD Black + 3 TB Other
Display(s) Samsung 40KU6300 UHD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Logitech G304 + Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10/High Sierra Dual Boot
My prob is I scatter them across different drives (OS drive is Optane, and sometimes I like games on it).
Yea i have that too. Frequently played games on SSD and rest on WD black. You can just add multiple library folders spreaded across multiple disks to steam settings. ( Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders ).

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
At first glance...I thought the FCK DRM title seemed a little too edgy or perhaps even childish to some extent. Then I thought to myself about how I feel when people are discussing EULA's...and I instantly forgave them.

I've been "pretty much" purchasing exclusively from GOG for about the last year and a half. I still make the odd purchase from Steam now and then, but my GOG account is steadily catching up. I think it's probably about 200 games vs 100 games at this point. Origin and Ubisoft I essentially let die on the vine years ago, but like Twitch(42 free titles since April!)....I'll take any freebies they're handing out and stack them for later down the road.

What I really enjoy about installing my GOG titles on linux is that I don't need to use a client period. They don't even have one! :). I do everything right from the website using my Waterfox browser.

I've also set up an account on GOG's forums...same name/pic.

Best,

Liquid Cool

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme