• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bethesda Confirms Wolfenstein III Still Happening; Dishonored is Not Dead Just Yet

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
When Bethesda took the stage at E3 this year and announced Wolfenstein: Youngblood, many were dismayed and feared that the lower-than-expected sales for Wolfenstein II, combined with the deep discounts early in the product cycle, may have changed the timeline in more ways than one. Specifically, there was doubt on whether another numbered entry was coming to the main Wolfenstein story which had received a reboot of sorts beginning with the 2014 hit Wolfenstein: The New Order. In an interview with GameCentral, Pete Hines (VP, PR and Marketing for Bethesda) confirmed that Youngblood is to be treated as a standalone title similar to what we saw with Wolfenstein: The Old Blood in 2015, and that MachineGames is absolutely going to develop Wolfenstein III.

Specifically, Pete Hines said and I quote, "Absolutely we're making a Wolfenstein III. They [MachineGames] said on stage that they're taking a break from the larger story to do this thing. But we all have to see how that ends." This was part of a long discussion, that is well worth the read, with insights on the revival of single-player AAA games, Bethesda's continual commitment to story-driven gameplay, and more. As part of said discussion, Pete Hines also helped provide some relief to fans of Arkane Studios' Dishonored series which, as with the recent Wolfenstein series, enjoyed great success with the first entry but then tapered down subsequently when it comes to sales of Dishonored 2 and its standalone DLC. Arkane Studios had recently said that the series is "resting", and in response to this Pete said that he "wouldn't read too much into that" and that Arkane having two studios meant that the situation was similar to how Bethesda Studios themselves went from the Fallout franchise to Starfield before returning to The Elder Scrolls series. Sounds like good news to Dishonored fans, and we will be sure to inform our readers of any updates accordingly.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
The very mention of elder scrolls gets me foaming at the fact that Bethesda will never release anything after skyrim, like how many years has it been and they keep teasing vi...I hope it doesn't turn into another andromeda

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Wolf2 just didn't have the same appeal as previous entries in the series. Hopefully Wolf3 will be better..
if they use the same engine as Wolf2, the only "better" will have to be how immersive the story can get and how easy it can draw the player down deep. If they skimp on the story, game play will no better than Wolf2. Adding a few shaders to past graphics engines just makes it look cheap.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
I hope that they can do a lot better with III as I played the hell out of I and didn't even finish II as the story just wasn't as interesting, not even close.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Haven't played Wolfenstein II yet (not 100% sure I ever will, and that's saying something) but the games before that were kind of meh. Dishonored 2 was golden and I'm chomping at the bit for another.

idTech 5 was used to make Dishonored 2. idTech 6 was used to make Wolfenstein II and is being used to make Wolfenstein: Youngblood. I assume idTech 7 will be used for Wolfenstein III, should it happen. idTech 7 exclusively renders using Vulkan.

It is unknown what Arkane Studios is working on now. Last title they worked on was Death of the Outsider a year ago. Something is under way and probably not a follow up to Dishonored.

The very mention of elder scrolls gets me foaming at the fact that Bethesda will never release anything after skyrim, like how many years has it been and they keep teasing vi...I hope it doesn't turn into another andromeda
TES VI may be based on idTech 7. That's going to add years to the development time but it will most likely be worth it. TES has been long overdue for a complete technology overhaul.

Last edited:
Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
Nice to know !! They are not games for everyone, especially Dishonored that i finished 1 and 2 ( need to buy the DLC's ) and unlock alot of achievement ( steam )

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I also wouldn’t put too much stock in the PC sales numbers of Dishonored 2 being down. The only REAL numbers available are for physical copies. Well, duh!

Fewer physical copies are sold of games every year! Eventually, in this digital age, there won’t be any. Many games don’t get ANY physical release.

Trying to extrapolate sales numbers from Steam is more witchcraft than science, since Valve releases no sales numbers.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Haven't played Wolfenstein II yet (not 100% sure I ever will, and that's saying something) but the games before that were kind of meh. Dishonored 2 was golden and I'm chomping at the bit for another.

idTech 5 was used to make Dishonored 2. idTech 6 was used to make Wolfenstein II and is being used to make Wolfenstein: Youngblood. I assume idTech 7 will be used for Wolfenstein III, should it happen. idTech 7 exclusively renders using Vulkan.

It is unknown what Arkane Studios is working on now. Last title they worked on was Death of the Outsider a year ago. Something is under way and probably not a follow up to Dishonored.

TES VI may be based on idTech 7. That's going to add years to the development time but it will most likely be worth it. TES has been long overdue for a complete technology overhaul.

Got a source on TES VI? That's pretty interesting news... not in the least because that would require a serious revamp of the idTech engine... I mean, its nice for cool shooters, but for lots of interaction with objects and environment??

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80

Wolfenstein 2 is worse than the previous ones, i'd the best of the saga is The new order, but that's also kinda not great, the gameplay is good, the rest lowers a bit the overall level. Dishonored 2 was pretty good, and you should try Death of the outsider if you haven't that's also pretty good.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Got a source on TES VI? That's pretty interesting news... not in the least because that would require a serious revamp of the idTech engine... I mean, its nice for cool shooters, but for lots of interaction with objects and environment??
Just my rambling but Dishonored 2 isn't all that different from TES. Creation Engine already got idTech's netcode to support Fallout 76. idTech also had to be improved to support open world tech because of RAGE 2 (developed in collaboration with Avalanche Studios of Just Cause). It just wouldn't surprise me at all if Zenimax put its foot down and ordered Bethseda to make it happen because supporting Creation Engine alongside idTech makes about as much sense as ending Beethoven's 5th symphony with a kazoo solo.

Epic has Unreal. Ubisoft has Anvil. EA has FrostBite. Square Enix has (had?) Glacier. Crytek has CryEngine. Amazon has Lumberyard. Zenimax has idTech.

Last edited:
Wait.....what....are they serious? How about you fix your PC port first before complaining about sales. Pretty much every negative steam review gushes praise, yet when you scroll down you see the game is anywhere from virtual unplayable to actually unplayable. The port is utterly horrific on PC, and it gets worse with every patch. The last one screwed AMD users with certain GPUs.

But hey, the indifference is understandable as PC gamers just pirate games anyways. Oh and all the people on steam that bought the buggy mess never paid for the game due to their super-pirating skills.

^ The italicised text above is sarcasm, sometimes context isn't enough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Edit: Figured context would be enough. Apparently not.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Wait.....what....are they serious? How about you fix your PC port first before complaining about sales. Pretty much every negative steam review gushes praise, yet when you scroll down you see the game is anywhere from virtual unplayable to actually unplayable. The port is utterly horrific on PC, and it gets worse with every patch. The last one screwed AMD users with certain GPUs. But hey, the indifference is understandable as PC gamers just pirate games anyways. Oh and all the people on steam that bought the buggy mess never paid for the game due to their super-pirating skills.

What are you smoking? I don’t even know where to start with this absurd jumbling together of complaints, allegations and conspiracy theories. I can’t even figure out which game you are referring to.

Both Dishonored 2 and Wolfenstein II were perfectly playable by me from day 1 (and also revisited and played again just a couple months ago). Which source shows that PC gamers just pirate their games anyway? I know I pay for all mine, it’s the right thing to do. As to Steam’s game owners all having pirated the games? Do you have any concept how utterly ridiculous and uninformed you sound?

I can only conclude you stopped by to troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Wait.....what....are they serious? How about you fix your PC port first before complaining about sales. Pretty much every negative steam review gushes praise, yet when you scroll down you see the game is anywhere from virtual unplayable to actually unplayable. The port is utterly horrific on PC, and it gets worse with every patch. The last one screwed AMD users with certain GPUs. But hey, the indifference is understandable as PC gamers just pirate games anyways. Oh and all the people on steam that bought the buggy mess never paid for the game due to their super-pirating skills.

Reddit is ---> that way sir. Don't let the door hit you on the way out

I enjoyed both Wolfenstein games from Machine Studios (Bethesda). The added content into Wolf II has also been fun to play, the additional chapters. I am glad to see a third coming out, I enjoy single player campaign games.

What are you smoking? I don’t even know where to start with this absurd jumbling together of complaints, allegations and conspiracy theories. I can’t even figure out which game you are referring to.

Both Dishonored 2 and Wolfenstein II were perfectly playable by me from day 1 (and also revisited and played again just a couple months ago). Which source shows that PC gamers just pirate their games anyway? I know I pay for all mine, it’s the right thing to do. As to Steam’s game owners all having pirated the games? Do you have any concept how utterly ridiculous and uninformed you sound?

I can only conclude you stopped by to troll.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/Wolfenstein_II_The_New_Colossus/#app_reviews_hash Help yourself, friend. Also the pirating comment was sarcasm, obvious sarcasm at that(because yes steam is easily crackable..also sarcasm). Don't worry, I'll edit my post for some of the slower folks here.

Reddit is ---> that way sir. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Nope, how about you leave instead? To clarify I have nothing against the game, just how utterly crap the port was.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
https://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/Wolfenstein_II_The_New_Colossus/#app_reviews_hash Help yourself, friend. Also the pirating comment was sarcasm, obvious sarcasm at that(because yes steam is easily crackable..also sarcasm). Don't worry, I'll edit my post for some of the slower folks here.

Nope, how about you leave instead? To clarify I have nothing against the game, just how utterly crap the port was.

I feel right at home on TPU; you seem to have landed on the wrong website. You can do whatever you fancy with that feedback. Your follow up post is more of the same: low quality shitpost

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter

I'm well aware of the positive/negative review percentages. Are YOU aware that most of the negative reviews on most of the AAA games on Steam the last 5 years are by whiny, overpriveleged snots who usually have hardware that won't adequately run the game they want to play at 8,000 fps? that's why I don't read Steams reviews anymore...they are worthless for any kind of sensible review of the games.

Wait, I do read their reviews on Indies, because these reviews are actually intelligent, and when they rate a game negatively it is usually documented by them well, and for logical reasons.

If I had let negative Steam user reviews on Steam influence me on major games, I would have missed out on alot of very fun games which also played perfectly well for me.

Last edited:
Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Epic has Unreal. Ubisoft has Anvil. EA has FrostBite. Square Enix has (had?) Glacier. Crytek has Crysis. Amazon has Lumberyard. Zenimax has idTech.

Got a little chuckle outta this.

Ubi also has Dunia (modified Cryengine) and Massive's Snowdrop engine. Crysis is a game made by Crytek using the CryEngine lol.

Edit: iirc Lumberyard is a modified CryEngine too.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
add some invasive Russians to kill.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Got a little chuckle outta this.

Ubi also has Dunia (modified Cryengine) and Massive's Snowdrop engine. Crysis is a game made by Crytek using the CryEngine lol.

Edit: iirc Lumberyard is a modified CryEngine too.
I think The Sims (EA) is still using some fork of GameByro engine. There's exceptions but I just named the main engine most of the AAA games are based off of.

add some invasive Russians to kill.
Wolf 2 has a very socialist view of the (new) world. Doubt they would allow player to virtual kill Russians, except if the Russians were fanatical nazis :shrug:
Loved RTCW, New World order is good, Old Blood is better(because nazi zombies), but Wolf 2 the SJW/socialist theme had no place in a game like it IMHO.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I think The Sims (EA) is still using some fork of GameByro engine. There's exceptions but I just named the main engine most of the AAA games are based off of.
Its all good, just thought Crysis being an engine was kinda funny. Crytek needs something besides Hunt. Make "but can it run Crysis" relevant again, in a well optimized way :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Yeah, my bad. Crytek is kind of falling apart, sadly.

HZCH

I hope that they can do a lot better with III as I played the hell out of I and didn't even finish II as the story just wasn't as interesting, not even close.

I did the exact same thing. The II story was such a let down compared to the first entry I just stopped playing...