• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Processor Supply Issues to Persist Till 2H-2019: Compal President

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In a statement that could refute speculation that Intel processors are in short-supply because the company is allocating its fabs for 9th generation processor launch, Compal President Martin Wong stated that supply issues with Intel processors could go on till the second half of 2019 (at least 9 more months). The issues threaten to undermine worldwide notebook shipments, he added. Compal is a major Taiwan-based notebook ODM and whitebox electronics manufacturer that supplies to major notebook brands.

Wong is miffed that Intel hasn't provided any clear schedule for restoration of supply normalcy. Intel responded that it is "cooperating closely" with its partners to manage the extra orders, and that supply priority will be given to Xeon and Core processors, including Core brand extensions "U-series" (ultraportable) and "Y-series" (ultra low-power).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
Our daily bad news regarding Intel give us today …
I wonder how much difficulties OEMs will have picking up AMD-parts instead.
Wow Intel, just wow … How on earth you fucked things up like that?

How stupid is it to even refuse telling how long the shortage will take?!
Is that another dumb attempt in outdoing competitors, like „If we won't tell them how long it takes until we can supply in any numbers again, they will clearly not go for AMD. So let's do 'dis!“, or what?!

Did karma actually bought a Itanium CPU back then? A Larrabee-card by any chance? Or some Optane SSDs? What a bitch!

Low quality post by Indra18

Indra18

Our daily bad news regarding Intel give us …

Did karma actually bought a Itanium CPU back then? A Larrabee-card by any chance? Or some Optane SSDs? What

in real world must by trully news only.. now you will see only "bad news" about intel..)) fake news spreading us congreSS and rabi donald)) leave them in politics and speak only true here.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Maybe now all those Intel-drunk companies can open their eyes a bit and try a new brew. The option exists and its viable too.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Maybe now all those Intel-drunk companies can open their eyes a bit and try a new brew. The option exists and its viable too.
Which companies are you referring to, and what option are you espousing? You mean AMD? How original of you! Next you'll be recommending we all "upgrade" to Vega. Somehow I don't think anyone is waiting for you to tell them what their options are. Personally, I would wait 3 years for Intel before I would ever by any AMD product. It doesn't help that every AMD fan has to pick up his toy bullhorn and announce obvious crap like this, and think they're doing AMD a favor.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Which companies are you referring to, and what option are you espousing? You mean AMD? How original of you! Next you'll be recommending we all "upgrade" to Vega. Somehow I don't think anyone is waiting for you to tell them what their options are. Personally, I would wait 3 years for Intel before I would ever by any AMD product. It doesn't help that every AMD fan has to pick up his toy bullhorn and announce obvious crap like this, and think they're doing AMD a favor.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem quite uneducated, at least judging by your spelling, so maybe this is why you're such a fan boy/girl?
Besides, there was no mention of AMD whatsoever.
A lot of things are moving towards ARM, we're even seeing ARM powered notebooks and apparently the stuff Qualcomm is about to launch is said to be competitive with Intel's Y-series of processors.
But please, go ahead and make angry fan boy/girl accusations based on nothing, it makes you look totally sane...

Nah, Intel will just pay them not to do so with all their earning from their brand new 9th Generation's profits – they'll be fine and stay with Big blue™ I guess. … oh, wait!
eeeks29x18.gif

There ain't any greater profits they get now anymore, since they ain't able to ship such chips in volumes to earn given high-profit margins to shadily pay their OEMs to stay with them in the first place!

It's a catch-22, isn't it?
On one hand Intel have has always being the almighty giant, being able to outbuy every OEM and/or market due to their vastly high-profit margins and thus their sheer inexhaustible pockets. Now AMD cut their earnings big times by competing with a virtually identical product (performance-wise) while being sold by a way smaller price. AMD did so in an attempt to aggressively gain market-share quickly (which seems to work pretty decent though …). Stupidly enough and despite literally every analyst advised against it, Intel actually did try the dumbest thing they've could do in that situation, ever – and that's trying to compete with AMD upon price-level and -structure. So Intel. with their eyes wide open, plunge into disaster ever since.

It's a doom loop! Intel just can't afford to pay their OEMs to stay with them anymore, that's a huge bummer!

It's been only about +1 year since Ryzen – but for me that particular point in time will be the new calendar I'll always rely upon in any future when it comes to technology or computer electronics in general. That era when AMD literally not only catched up upon Intel and equalled literally 'ten years of processor-development with unlimited Intelian billions' but even outrun Intel – all that with just a fraction of Intel's budget …

All that with a single design, and the very first draft of it. At the very first stage of its development.
On a manufacturing process initially build and engineered only for mobile and ultra-portable SoCs.
This is not just a resounding slap - and that's no insult to Intel's shareholders anymore. That's called mockery.

Seems AMD never really was actually gone, they just took a serious run-up.
bgrin15x18.gif

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem quite uneducated, at least judging by your spelling, so maybe this is why you're such a fan boy/girl?
Besides, there was no mention of AMD whatsoever.
A lot of things are moving towards ARM, we're even seeing ARM powered notebooks and apparently the stuff Qualcomm is about to launch is said to be competitive with Intel's Y-series of processors.
But please, go ahead and make angry fan boy/girl accusations based on nothing, it makes you look totally sane...
Yup, jes notha sad case

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Wow, sorry, did I strike a nerve? AMD fan, what? :D

That's a strange way to spell Dhyana. … and those are also quite a lot of words to just say KX-6000, isn't it?

Reading:
AnandTech • 8 Cores, 3 GHz, 16 nm FinFET – Zhaoxin Displays x86-Compatible KaiXian KX-6000
Tom'sHardware • Hygon Dhyana · China Finds Zen – Begins Production Of x86 Processors Based On AMD's IP

Our daily bad news regarding Intel give us today …

How stupid is it to even refuse telling how long the shortage will take?!
Is that another dumb attempt in outdoing competitors, like „If we won't tell them how long it takes until we can supply in any numbers again, they will clearly not go for AMD. So let's do 'dis!“, or what?!

Did karma actually bought a Itanium CPU back then? A Larrabee-card by any chance? Or some Optane SSDs? What a bitch!

How hard could it be?
Well what about you design a 5W Y-series for AMD? What about you improve that shitload power consumption of Raven Ridge for AMD?

U/Y series priority , did you read the article?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Ok so Wong is miffed and is hurting Intel even more by being vocal about the situation.

What about you improve that shitload power consumption of Raven Ridge for AMD?
You know that Ryzen is even more energy-efficient on given frequencies and loads, right?
In addition, what you need 5W chips for? 15W like Ryzen 3' U-chips are decent enough for portables. Anything below you should leave the market to ARM since a X86 can't be that energy-efficient to compete against such.

Anyway, AMD have had such chips ever since so I don't know what you're talking about. Though who knows if AMD won't bring such 5W APU s on 7nm in the near future?

D

Deleted member 67555

Good timing for AMD...
I sure am glad I got my Intel processors when I did.
My next build was going to be AMD anyways so no worries here unless AMD process sky rocket.

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Everybody wants Cascade Lake and only even consider Epyc when they can’t buy Intel. That is already a win for Intel, knowing that their products are vastly preferred over everyone else.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
You know that Ryzen is even more energy-efficient on given frequencies and loads, right?
In addition, what you need 5W chips for? 15W like Ryzen 3' U-chips are decent enough for portables. Anything below you should leave the market to ARM since a X86 can't be that energy-efficient to compete against such.

Anyway, AMD have had such chips ever since so I don't know what you're talking about. Though who knows if AMD won't bring such 5W APU s on 7nm in the near future?
Ultraportables that use 5 watt intel chips are also quite popular, and if AMD cant fill the entire product stack, get this,a company wont use them. They are not going to put the extra effort to support ryzen on only SOME of the lineup.

When your competitor is floundering, dont let up the pressure, keep it up on every category possible. That is a lesson AMD has desperately needed to learn for years now.

System Name Xbox Series S
Processor AMD Zen2 8 core 3.6 GHz
Memory 10GB GDDR6
Video Card(s) RDNA2 with 20 CUs
Storage 512Gb SSD NVMe Internal + 8TB WD Black USB External
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
Neat! We had low supplies of DDR4 RAM, then GPU's, and now CPU's within 1-2 years.

So much for the rumors that the PC market is dying. Or is it? :D

Nah, Intel will just pay them not to do so with all their earning from their brand new 9th Generation's profits – they'll be fine and stay with Big blue™ I guess. … oh, wait! View attachment 107666
There ain't any greater profits they get now anymore, since they ain't able to ship such chips in volumes to earn given high-profit margins to shadily pay their OEMs to stay with them in the first place!

It's a catch-22, isn't it?
On one hand Intel have has always being the almighty giant, being able to outbuy every OEM and/or market due to their vastly high-profit margins and thus their sheer inexhaustible pockets. Now AMD cut their earnings big times by competing with a virtually identical product (performance-wise) while being sold by a way smaller price. AMD did so in an attempt to aggressively gain market-share quickly (which seems to work pretty decent though …). Stupidly enough and despite literally every analyst advised against it, Intel actually did try the dumbest thing they've could do in that situation, ever – and that's trying to compete with AMD upon price-level and -structure. So Intel. with their eyes wide open, plunge into disaster ever since.

It's a doom loop! Intel just can't afford to pay their OEMs to stay with them anymore, that's a huge bummer!

It's been only about +1 year since Ryzen – but for me that particular point in time will be the new calendar I'll always rely upon in any future when it comes to technology or computer electronics in general. That era when AMD literally not only catched up upon Intel and equalled literally 'ten years of processor-development with unlimited Intelian billions' but even outrun Intel – all that with just a fraction of Intel's budget …

All that with a single design, and the very first draft of it. At the very first stage of its development.
On a manufacturing process initially build and engineered only for mobile and ultra-portable SoCs.
This is not just a resounding slap - and that's no insult to Intel's shareholders anymore. That's called mockery.

Seems AMD never really was actually gone, they just took a serious run-up. View attachment 107665

I agree. The damage of letting OEMs free during this period would be bigger compared to paying some money to stop them from buying AMD. Still, I think some OEMs will still give a try to AMD and will see that they are quite nice. We have the 2600H and 2800H incoming. There are already quite excellent options from AMD in the form of 2300U, 2500U and 2700U. They just need better cooling and more focus on getting more efficiency at low load from them. AMD should also add a 6 core into their notebook line-up. AMD should also work their asses off now to release an Zen optimized compiler. Now, the stars have aligned for them, as soon as they can get 7nm parts on the market the better.

The most important thing is he told the truth and he is an AMD fan, and you say you will never buy an AMD product, but you are an unbiased person. Haha haha.

Wow, sorry, did I strike a nerve? AMD fan, what? :D
I think he didn't even check you have an Intel CPU. :D I love these hillbillies.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I agree. The damage of letting OEMs free during this period would be bigger compared to paying some money to stop them from buying AMD. Still, I think some OEMs will still give a try to AMD and will see that they are quite nice. We have the 2600H and 2800H incoming. There are already quite excellent options from AMD in the form of 2300U, 2500U and 2700U. They just need better cooling and more focus on getting more efficiency at low load from them. AMD should also add a 6 core into their notebook line-up. AMD should also work their asses off now to release an Zen optimized compiler. Now, the stars have aligned for them, as soon as they can get 7nm parts on the market the better.
Better cooling why

Ryzen already runs just as cool as intel and is just a efficient at stock

And for mobile skus I believe AMD did a great job of how the options are available

You have

4 Cores
4 Cores/8 Threads
8 Cores/16 Threads

Honestly most consumers 4 cores would be plenty. Most would overlook 6 easily and those who could make use of it and want the power would go with the 8 Core option instead but in the mobile space the low power/low cost option sells more.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Not looking good for intel...

Better cooling why

Ryzen already runs just as cool as intel and is just a efficient at stock

And for mobile skus I believe AMD did a great job of how the options are available

You have

4 Cores
4 Cores/8 Threads
8 Cores/16 Threads

Honestly most consumers 4 cores would be plenty. Most would overlook 6 easily and those who could make use of it and want the power would go with the 8 Core option instead but in the mobile space the low power/low cost option sells more.
Better cooling because they get thermally limited and they throttle in many notebooks currently. I know this is in part OEM's fault, but if AMD makes sure their CPUs are top notch, come with great FW and enforce some cooling/performance rules, they will have compelling options on the market. As it stands now, Lenovo laptops (apart from the thinkpad, which has bad battery life) are crippled with either single channel memory or bad cooling solution. HP is better, but it could be better. Dell has some offers, but it doesn't want to draw any attention to them. Acer has a good implementation and from Asus (strangely enough) I didn't see any laptop with the U series from AMD.

Options is the name of the game. You need to give the consumers lots of options, to create confusion and make him buy the most expensive variant.