• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Exemptions To The DMCA Allow Users To Hack And Repair Their Phones (And Their Tractors, too)

You know that iPhone you bought? Or that home appliance? Or that tractor? They're not yours. Not completely, I mean, because if something breaks, you'll have to repair them through the official repair services of the hardware maker. You can try to repair them by yourself, but you'll probably have a lot of trouble doing it or even getting an unofficial technical service to do it. Oh, and until now it even wasn't legal for you to try. Companies such as Apple, Microsoft, Samsung or John Deere have turned repair control into an art form. The DRM they impose on their products is becoming more and more complex, and there are lots of devices that are very complicated to open to try to repair.

Agencies like EFF have long been fighting for the so-called "right to repair" movement to try to fight these kinds of strategies, and these days those efforts have paid off. The Librarian of Congress and US Copyright Office have adopted "exemptions to the to the provision of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") that prohibits circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works". This means that from now on, users will be able to hack the software and fix the hardware on (some of) their devices in order to repair or maintain them. The new rules apply to smartphones, "home appliances" and "home systems", but they go beyond there and will allow users to repair cars, tractors and other motorized land vehicles (no boats or planes, though) by modifying their firmware.

Kyle Wiens, founder of iFixit, explained in a blog post the importance of this decision. He knows what he's talking about, because iFixit has made it their right to repair their mission in this world: for years they have been publishing guides to repair all kinds of devices, as well as selling tools to facilitate those processes. Wiens explained how he and several other experts (Cory Doctorow or Jay 'Saurik' Freeman among them) met some time ago with officials at the Copyright Office to discuss the subject, and it seems that these conversations have had a clear effect on current legislation.

The exemptions to section 1201 of the DMCA allow for example that users will be able to jailbreak their smart speakers, unlock their phones (not only used ones, but also new ones), or try to repair a large number of home appliances and home systems, although there is one exception to this coverage: it is still illegal to try to repair consoles independently.

The victory isn't total because companies will be able to continue to make their DRM mechanisms more complex and make it more difficult for those who try to repair their devices on their own. Even so, it is undoubtedly a very important step forward in recovering that right to repair that not long ago seemed implicit in any product we bought and that was gradually disappearing from our control.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Finally.
Inb4 "muh capitalism" comments.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Good. Making repairing your own devices illegal is one of the most boneheaded things I have ever heard.

If these companies had been around and tried this in the 70s, they would have gone out of business in short order.

Good. Making repairing your own devices illegal is one of the most boneheaded things I have ever heard.

If these companies had been around and tried this in the 70s, they would have gone out of business in short order.
Actually, plenty of companies did try this in 70s, and they didn't go out of business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

This is the act that was brought in at the time.

The page doesn't clearly outline how and why it impacts this, but this article states: In April 2018, the Federal Trade Commission sent notice to six automobile, consumer electronics, and video game console manufacturers, later revealed through a Freedom of Information Act request to be Hyundai, Asus, HTC, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo,[22] stating that their warranty practices may violate the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The FTC specifically identified that informing consumers that warranties are voided if they break a warranty sticker or seal on the unit's packaging, use third-party replacement parts, or use third-party repair services is a deceptive practice, as these terms are only valid if the manufacturer provides free warranty service or replacement parts.[23] Both Sony and Nintendo released updated warranty statements following this notice.[24]

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
that must be powerful $$$ lobbying to have consoles excluded. Baby steps. A good step non the less.

The change is good for manufacturers too, even tho they dont see it.

there are 5 sides of this thing,
best; we can fix our stuff and companies won't tell us anything.
good; the repair guides will be available everywhere,
normal; if you open your product you'll definitely void your warranty and companies will take all necessary precautions to detect an intrusion
bad; almost all companies will take actions like apple did and they'll stop sending repair parts to shops
worst; all of the companies will glue all of the sensitive parts to the pcbs and make them impossible to repair

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
The day when you can overclock/jailbreak/hack/mod your tractor has come true.

Processor 2500k
Motherboard Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16G Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) XFX 390 DD BE
Storage OCZ Agility3 / F1 1tb
Display(s) Hazro HZ27WC 2560x1440 / x3 BenQ G2222HDL Eyefinity - 5760x1080
Case Fractal Design Define XL
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Edifier RT1600
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700W
The day when you can overclock/jailbreak/hack/mod your tractor has come true.

Oh the farmers have been hacking their tractors for a while now.

How long until Apple devices are classed as consoles?

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
While improper repair can potentially be dangerous (well, duh), overall this is a win. John Deere is just amazingly bad with this.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
If you attempt to fix your device and you break it further is the manufacturer still on the hook to fix it? I would except legal wording to change around warrenties. There is simply no way any manufacturer can be expected to fix any device under warranty that an end user has tampered with.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
If you attempt to fix your device and you break it further is the manufacturer still on the hook to fix it? I would except legal wording to change around warrenties. There is simply no way any manufacturer can be expected to fix any device under warranty that an end user has tampered with.

That has never applied and is in every warranty. But what usually happens is that the manuf lies and claims that device was subject to damage not covered by warranty, then denies the claim.

Example: Phones, laptops, etc, have those bullshit moisture strips. EVERYONE knows that humid air alone turns them pink. So, every manuf opens it up, then denies claim based on water damage without evidence.

It's all a scam. Most warranties are completely worthless in the US. You'd have to spend thousands suing to get anything. Have you seen how bad it is on cars?

Last edited:
Ah, this is just juicy! Apple? Do you like apples? The feds just told you where to stick it and how. How do you like them apples? Right to repair is a right, not a privilege. It's only a matter of time before a judge tells you, Tesla, John Deere and all of the other corporate tools that can't obey the laws which define our rights as owners how best you can cram your over-greedy nonsense up your backsides.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't care about said company warranties, I do the repairs regardless.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
This is a tricky one for me (in a perfect world). Think of it from their perspective: you release a complex product, be it a phone or a tractor, with a warranty. Something goes wrong with one of them somewhere, as is bound to happen, and some shmuck goes messing with it trying to fix it on his own. You know nothing about this person. Say their tractor breaks... maybe they're an ASE master mechanic... or maybe they've never turned a wrench in their life. Maybe the newbie can't figure it out, screws something up worse and then sends it in for repair? Yeah, the thing broke on its own under warranty initially, but that was before Dave White Collar went messing with it and screwed it up worse. Maybe they broke some other part - an expensive one? Now multiply this risk by the thousands or more of other guys out there that might try to repair it themselves and potentially even break something else. Not a position I would want to be in, if I made tractors! Let alone something else that's not really user serviceable. I dropped a phone once and broke the screen. I tried to repair it myself. Well, it wasn't the actual screen itself that was broke as much as it was the digitizer part of it that sits over the screen. It sucked and was stuck on with some sticky stuff, which made it pretty much impossible to remove, considering the darn thing was shattered. That didn't go so well, and I bought another phone instead.

I'm also doing my own brake work. Now this is something that is much more user serviceable. I need new rotors, calipers and pads. Really all that needs done is remove 3 regular ass bolts, take the old stuff off, and put the new stuff on, bleed the lines and it's a done deal... but cars are dangerous. People are driving these 3000 pound missiles on the freeway, usually in excess of 70MPH. You don't need to do any math to know that if something that weighs 3000 pounds collides with something else at 70+MPH, serious damage is gonna happen. So, when these things need to stop or slow down, they need to stop (or slow down). I'm trusting my own life and probably the lives of others the next time I get behind the wheel of that vehicle after the work is done. Now, I'm no mechanic, and I actually ordered the wrong parts initially (I tried to put rear calipers, rotors and pads on the front... oops), but with the correct parts on the way I'm confident I can get the job done. It's not really that hard... and if not, that's why you do a little test drive in an inconspicuous area and make sure your work was done right before your life and/or someone else's depends on it. Now my bucket of bolts is 16 this year, so it's obviously way out of warranty, and I'm paying far less ordering parts from a discount etailer than I would buying them in a local B&M shop, let alone paying someone else to do it. I fully believe I should have the right to repair my own shit, and so should anyone else... but the fact is a lot of people are doing this who shouldn't be, or at least don't really know what they're doing (I fall into that category myself), so when I try to fix something and break it more, should someone else foot the bill because I didn't send it in for repair under warranty?

"Warranty void if removed" stickers/barriers/etc do have their place and should be respected, in most cases. Of course, having one outside your desktop chassis so that you can't even open it up to dust the thing out is ridiculous (but you can even break things in this way, IIRC our own @Bill_Bright once said even a shop vac hose presents an ESD hazard, and I'm inclined to agree with him - I've been shocked by plastic hoses before myself, not shop vac hoses, but still, it can happen), but it's equally ridiculous when someone opens up their case, and tries to upgrade the CPU or something and it doesn't work anymore because they bent the mobo pins, and then sends in it under warranty like that. It's a double edged sword, you got scum on both sides of the fence, be it crappy customers or crappy businesses. TL;DR the Right to Repair is definitely a thing that should exist, but when/if someone screws something up it shouldn't be on the guy they bought it from to foot the bill for their mistakes.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
This is a tricky one for me (in a perfect world). Think of it from their perspective: you release a complex product, be it a phone or a tractor, with a warranty. Something goes wrong with one of them somewhere, as is bound to happen, and some shmuck goes messing with it trying to fix it on his own. You know nothing about this person. Say their tractor breaks... maybe they're an ASE master mechanic... or maybe they've never turned a wrench in their life. Maybe the newbie can't figure it out, screws something up worse and then sends it in for repair? Yeah, the thing broke on its own under warranty initially, but that was before Dave White Collar went messing with it and screwed it up worse. Maybe they broke some other part - an expensive one? Now multiply this risk by the thousands or more of other guys out there that might try to repair it themselves and potentially even break something else. Not a position I would want to be in, if I made tractors! Let alone something else that's not really user serviceable. I dropped a phone once and broke the screen. I tried to repair it myself. Well, it wasn't the actual screen itself that was broke as much as it was the digitizer part of it that sits over the screen. It sucked and was stuck on with some sticky stuff, which made it pretty much impossible to remove, considering the darn thing was shattered. That didn't go so well, and I bought another phone instead.

I'm also doing my own brake work. Now this is something that is much more user serviceable. I need new rotors, calipers and pads. Really all that needs done is remove 3 regular ass bolts, take the old stuff off, and put the new stuff on, bleed the lines and it's a done deal... but cars are dangerous. People are driving these 3000 pound missiles on the freeway, usually in excess of 70MPH. You don't need to do any math to know that if something that weighs 3000 pounds collides with something else at 70+MPH, serious damage is gonna happen. So, when these things need to stop or slow down, they need to stop (or slow down). I'm trusting my own life and probably the lives of others the next time I get behind the wheel of that vehicle after the work is done. Now, I'm no mechanic, and I actually ordered the wrong parts initially (I tried to put rear calipers, rotors and pads on the front... oops), but with the correct parts on the way I'm confident I can get the job done. It's not really that hard... and if not, that's why you do a little test drive in an inconspicuous area and make sure your work was done right before your life and/or someone else's depends on it. Now my bucket of bolts is 16 this year, so it's obviously way out of warranty, and I'm paying far less ordering parts from a discount etailer than I would buying them in a local B&M shop, let alone paying someone else to do it. I fully believe I should have the right to repair my own shit, and so should anyone else... but the fact is a lot of people are doing this who shouldn't be, or at least don't really know what they're doing (I fall into that category myself), so when I try to fix something and break it more, should someone else foot the bill because I didn't send it in for repair under warranty?

"Warranty void if removed" stickers/barriers/etc do have their place and should be respected, in most cases. Of course, having one outside your desktop chassis so that you can't even open it up to dust the thing out is ridiculous (but you can even break things in this way, IIRC our own @Bill_Bright once said even a shop vac hose presents an ESD hazard, and I'm inclined to agree with him - I've been shocked by plastic hoses before myself, not shop vac hoses, but still, it can happen), but it's equally ridiculous when someone opens up their case, and tries to upgrade the CPU or something and it doesn't work anymore because they bent the mobo pins, and then sends in it under warranty like that. It's a double edged sword, you got scum on both sides of the fence, be it crappy customers or crappy businesses. TL;DR the Right to Repair is definitely a thing that should exist, but when/if someone screws something up it shouldn't be on the guy they bought it from to foot the bill for their mistakes.

I don't know why anyone is bringing warranties into this. John Deere was forcing people to buy THEIR parts and have it repaired by THEM. So when those pieces of shit break all the time AFTER the warranty runs out, then you're SOL, b/c they're jacking oem parts cost, labor is insane, and the dealers suck at repairs. Have fun paying multiple for the part, multiple for the labor and you'll be back paying it all, again, after they fail to fix it the first time.

If you mean that people are fixing them while under warranty, then that's b/c the warranty is a joke. Even if a tractor drives, it only going to do about 25 mph. If it's large, then it's even more dangerous or impossible to drive it to the dealer. If it's completely shot or can't be driven on the road, then good luck loading up a large one. It'll be cheaper to fix it yourself... Those losers aren't going to come repair like a real company would, b/c they know they're all garbage. That's pretty much all you need to know about a warranty on expensive products. If they will not field service it, then it's shit.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
I don't know why anyone is bringing warranties into this. John Deere was forcing people to buy THEIR parts and have it repaired by THEM. So when those pieces of shit break all the time AFTER the warranty runs out, then you're SOL, b/c they're jacking oem parts cost, labor is insane, and the dealers suck at repairs. Have fun paying multiple for the part, multiple for the labor and you'll be back paying it all, again, after they fail to fix it the first time.
I seem to remember hearing something about that a while back... yeah, fuck that. Double fuck that, even.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
I seem to remember hearing something about that a while back... yeah, fuck that. Double fuck that, even.

Service/parts is profitable. Build junk that's very difficult to fix, let it fall apart, lock people into your scam of parts/repair, and profit!

John Deere isn't making a dime off our 1970s tractors. They just don't break and you can repair with whatever when they do. Bad corporate murrica (not that the US invented it, but they sure started the big capitalist exploitation and exported it) business model that they wanted to rectify.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Service/parts is profitable. Build junk that's very difficult to fix, let it fall apart, lock people into your scam of parts/repair, and profit!
Yeah, I agree with you there. Scammy indeed...

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

If you mean that people are fixing them while under warranty, then that's b/c the warranty is a joke. Even if a tractor drives, it only going to do about 25 mph. If it's large, then it's even more dangerous or impossible to drive it to the dealer. If it's completely shot or can't be driven on the road, then good luck loading up a large one. It'll be cheaper to fix it yourself... Those losers aren't going to come repair like a real company would, b/c they know they're all garbage. That's pretty much all you need to know about a warranty on expensive products. If they will not field service it, then it's shit.

If only I could tell you what Case/IH is getting ready to do. :)

Been working on their project for 2 years now and omg..

Imagine, being a farmer and being able to plug your tablet in to the tractor/combine etc.. and be told whats wrong with it? Told what part(s) is(are) likely needed AND THE BEST PART- FREE ACCESS to the pages of the FSM that the dealerships have access too which pertain to the repair!

Now if only there was some machinery company that did that...?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
If only I could tell you what Case/IH is getting ready to do. :)

Been working on their project for 2 years now and omg..

Imagine, being a farmer and being able to plug your tablet in to the tractor/combine etc.. and be told whats wrong with it? Told what part(s) is(are) likely needed AND THE BEST PART- FREE ACCESS to the pages of the FSM that the dealerships have access too which pertain to the repair!

Now if only there was some machinery company that did that...?

Considering even car manuf sue you for uploading FSM, it seems highly unlikely that anyone would make it free.

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Considering even car manuf sue you for uploading FSM, it seems highly unlikely that anyone would make it free.

CaseIH won't. Not for the starting model years for which the new program covers. :)

You see.. they see farmers as a threat to their business model so they are planning on making the first move. They want to give the farmers a carrot so they don't go after the steak. Give them the ability to repair and troubleshoot their own equipment, but still keep a leash on the parts side.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
that must be powerful $$$ lobbying to have consoles excluded. Baby steps. A good step non the less.

The change is good for manufacturers too, even tho they dont see it.

Not so sure, I think consoles are simply not relevant enough to be honest, and there is a content DRM issue lurking in the shadows - we all know the revamped consoles that played illegal discs and we also know hacked AppleTVs that could scour the web for content and play it. The only function, or at least primary function of a console is to play protected content. Gotta keep those walled gardens, or the whole business model of a console (forced exclusivity) is ready to die.

All the more reason to stay far away from them and game on PC... :)

Regardless, great step 'forward'... if you can say that. Its not like anyone was stopping us, there is no way to enforce this. The big positive is that services like iFixit can now also focus on the software side of things, it creates a whole new dynamic in terms of support as well, and 'hacked' firmwares will have to somehow be allowed to exist in a network/service. We might see some very interesting discussions when that is happening.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Finally.
Inb4 "muh capitalism" comments.

Which part would fall under capitalism? The initial act of government control in creating the DMCA would be a hack against it, unless this is a hint at the free market should prevent companies from existing that do this, but they couldn't do this if there were not anti-capitalist laws already in place. :roll: